Why we need carbs.

Options

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

*facepalm*

This again?! This study doesn't prove anything! It just says that whole grains are better for you than refined grains. So?!

Here's the basic analogy again...

Group A = smokes un-filtered cigarettes
    Group B = smokes filtered cigarettes

Group B = less lung cancer than Group A

Headline: SMOKING FILTERED CIGARETTES REDUCES YOUR RISK OF LUNG CANCER! SMOKE MORE FILTERED CIGARETTES!

Get it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

This again?! This study doesn't prove anything! It just says that whole grains are better for you than refined grains. So?!

Here's the basic analogy again...

Group A = smokes un-filtered cigarettes
    Group B = smokes filtered cigarettes

Group B = less lung cancer than Group A

Headline: SMOKING FILTERED CIGARETTES REDUCES YOUR RISK OF LUNG CANCER! SMOKE MORE FILTERED CIGARETTES!

Get it?

Um, no. In the study women who ate whole grains had fewer inflammation related deaths than those that ate few or no whole grains. Refined grains was not in the equation.

Reference: 7. Jacobs DR, Jr., Andersen LF, Blomhoff R. Whole-grain consumption is associated with a reduced risk of noncardiovascular, noncancer death attributed to inflammatory diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007; 85:1606-14.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

and give you diabetes! (if you eat too many and from the wrong sources)

Well they gave me diabetes anyway. I followed the low fat, whole grain, brown bread, brown rice diet for years and years, I continuously gained about 5-10 lbs per year, got diabetes, and high blood pressure.

I've been restricting my carbs to non-starchy veggies for one month now and my blood pressure is normal, and my blood glucose has been normal everytime I've tested this month.

So yeah do what you want, but if the low fat thing isn't working for you...you might want to look at where you get your carbs from.

Please pass the bacon!

Maybe you were just eating too much? My parents (super fit, healthy, active people) eat carbs with every meal-All bran for breakfast, multigrain bread for lunch and brown pasta or rice for dinner, and they havent gained any weight since high school. And Dad is a type 1 diabetic.

I love carbs (the good ones) and on a low carb diet was irritable and hungry. Plus I don't like meat very much :)
  • lockef
    Options
    Um, no. In the study women who ate whole grains had fewer inflammation related deaths than those that ate few or no whole grains. Refined grains was not in the equation.

Reference: 7. Jacobs DR, Jr., Andersen LF, Blomhoff R. Whole-grain consumption is associated with a reduced risk of noncardiovascular, noncancer death attributed to inflammatory diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007; 85:1606-14.

Ummm, yah!

http://www.ajcn.org/content/92/3/634.short

"Women in the highest GI tertile had a 2.9-fold increased risk of inflammatory death compared with women in the lowest GI tertile"

Edit: Don't you think a study camparing 3 different groups (whole grain/refined grain/no grain) would be better evidence?

Read this, and maybe then you'll understand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
  • bcattoes
    Options

Ummm, yah!

http://www.ajcn.org/content/92/3/634.short

"Women in the highest GI tertile had a 2.9-fold increased risk of inflammatory death compared with women in the lowest GI tertile"

Different study. But it is another showing the value of whole grains.
  • lockef
    Options
    Different study. But it is another showing the value of whole grains IN PLACE OF REFINED GRAINS.

There, I fixed it for ya. *wink*
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'm just here for the show.

*eating popcorn*

too many carbs in popcorn! LMAO
  • lockef
    Options
    too many carbs in popcorn! LMAO

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Why do so many that bash eating whole grains assume that anyone eating them eats a low fat diet. There are numerous posts, in this thread and other, saying how low carb is better than low fat. Well, yes but so what? Low fat being bad does have anything to do with whole grains.
  • TeamLeela
    Options

I love carbs (the good ones) and on a low carb diet was irritable and hungry. Plus I don't like meat very much :)

I'm on a low carb (not no carb) diet and I love it! I don't consider it a diet. I have been on it for the past 4 months and I have had great results. I don't get irritable or headaches or lose concentration.And I'm far from depressed!!

I don't have random "carb binges" I just eat a sensible amount of carbs to fuel my body. Guess you just have to do what works for you!
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    Wow, ended up being a great turnout after all!

Jolly good show everyone!

*golf clap*

Stay tuned... more low carb bashing to come.

you are hilarious!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Different study. But it is another showing the value of whole grains IN PLACE OF REFINED GRAINS.

I think you fixed it for you. But it's still true either way. In the study people added whole grains to their diet and improved their health, right? Right.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Love this!!! ;-)

By the way there is no talking to brick walls.... i decided to leave it alone!!! Most all of us have tried eating carbs from pastas, breads, and such but none of them have tried doing without them to see how they feel. I know i feel 100% better limiting my carb intake to fruits and vegs for the most part but they will never know because they wont even give it a try!!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Which I am aware isn't an unbiased source, but a quick google gives you a plethora of similar study praecis.

I don't want a quote, I want a link to the actual study/data.

The only studies I've heard of compare the consumption of whole grains vs. refined grains. I don't want someones interpetation of the study, I like to look at data.

The quote you posted says absolutely zero about what was tested.

Yes.. I AM a nerd.

Sorry, I don't care enough to bother looking up the journal of medical science for 2003 and searching for the study. If you care, you look it up. I have never once heard of a single study that has ever proved that eating oats isn't better for you than not eating them, and last time I checked, oats were grains.

It's all very well talking about eating "primal" but do you know what life expectancies were like in pre-agricultural humans? Humans both started living longer and became significantly more intelligent (language/brain development, as well as tool making/use) once they settled down and started growing stuff to eat, which includes grains, we started eating a load more carbs in our diet. There are plenty of studies on bone composition in mesolithic populations to show this, as well as evidence from the pollen and seed records and residues on cooking utensils. The biological evidence is in the development of the hyoid bone and brain shape, associated with language development, and the archeological evidence is on top of both of these in the rapid development of tools and use of materials.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I know i feel 100% better limiting my carb intake to fruits and vegs for the most part but they will never know because they wont even give it a try!!!!

I feel great now. I am healthy according to all medical tests I've had (and when you are in your 50's they run a LOT). I don't need to feel better. I'm not trying to argue, but I am very curious why you think I should try something different when I already have a diet that that keeps me healthy and I enjoy. In all seriousness, does that seem logical to you?
  • lockef
    Options
    It's all very well talking about eating "primal" but do you know what life expectancies were like in pre-agricultural humans?

I'm not primal/paleo, but I think I can comment on this.

Life expectancies are higher now because...

-Clean water source
    -Sewage systems
    -Vaccines
    -Availability of food
    -Less contaminated foods (debatable)
    -Hospitals
    -Transportation

The list can go on and on.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I know i feel 100% better limiting my carb intake to fruits and vegs for the most part but they will never know because they wont even give it a try!!!!

I feel great now. I am healthy according to all medical tests I've had (and when you are in your 50's they run a LOT). I don't need to feel better. I'm not trying to argue, but I am very curious why you think I should try something different when I already have a diet that that keeps me healthy and I enjoy. In all seriousness, does that seem logical to you?

In all seriousness, you could feel even better.... what would it hurt to try!!! But you are an adult and can make your own decisions, i just think its funny your so against it, it could change your life for the better!!! I thought i felt good before too, but feel even better now!!! Thats my point, if you try it and it doesnt work then you can say its not for you!!! Whatever the case good luck in your journey!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's all very well talking about eating "primal" but do you know what life expectancies were like in pre-agricultural humans?

I'm not primal/paleo, but I think I can comment on this.

Life expectancies are higher now because...

-Clean water source
    -Sewage systems
    -Vaccines
    -Availability of food
    -Less contaminated foods (debatable)
    -Hospitals
    -Transportation

The list can go on and on.

I don't mean then to now. I mean pre-agricultural / agricultural. Say 15000 years ago vs 8000 years ago.
  • bcattoes
    Options

In all seriousness, you could feel even better.... what would it hurt to try!!! But you are an adult and can make your own decisions, i just think its funny your so against it, it could change your life for the better!!! I thought i felt good before too, but feel even better now!!! Thats my point, if you try it and it doesnt work then you can say its not for you!!! Whatever the case good luck in your journey!!!

Against "it". I'm not sure what "it" you refer to. Against a low carb diet? I'm not against it for anyone other than me. I am against it for me because I LIKE carbs and they are keeping me healthy so it makes no sense to give up something I like for no reason other than the possibility that I might still be healthy. I'm not on a journey, I've already lost the 25 lbs I wanted to lose so you know the old phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it". That's me. I'm fit, healthy, back down to the size I want to be. Life is great. Who tries to fix great?