Why we need carbs.

Options
A lot of people (not just the people here on MFP), think that completely cutting out carbohydrates is the way to go. I beg to differ. WE NEED CARBS! It's just a matter of choosing the right ones. Complex carbohydrates provide fiber, which is necessary for stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Also, if you have suggestions for incorporating complex carbs into my diet, please tell me! I've been eating primarily simple carbs.
Your responses are appreciated!

Edit: Sorry for not making it clear. Some people I know seem to think that eliminating carbs from their diet for the rest of their lives is sustainable. Someone I know actually started his entire family on a "no-carb diet". A lot of people I know at my school look at carbs as "evil" and avoid them. This is just a problem I have noticed and I want to address it.

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I'm just here for the show.

*eating popcorn*
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I agree that we need complex carbs. I was constantly eating processed simple carbs too. Now I follow the Atkins way of life and get my complex carbs through veggies.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

*eating popcorn*

There have been encores of the same show all day on here it seems. At least this one doesn't seem arrogant. Seems to me like a genuine inquiry. We shall see....lol
  • lockef
    Options

*eating popcorn*

There have been encores of the same show all day on here it seems. At least this one doesn't seem arrogant. Seems to me like a genuine inquiry. We shall see....lol

Oh... have we seen this one already? I'm sure there'll be SOMETHING entertaining here. Pass the bacon!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a known scientific fact that our brains do need carbs to survive, the level of carbs that a person chooses to ingest as part of their daily calories is entirely up to them. Some people stay 10% or lower, some as high as 70%. But its all a balance of what works for each person. And no diet, not even Atkins, tells anyone to never eat carbs again for the rest of their lives, there are just introduction periods, at most. So I don't think I understand the need to start a thread like this, unless it's purposefully trolling.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    People who don't eat enough carbs will fail.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    i eat so many carbs!
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options

*eating popcorn*

Oh... have we seen this one already? I'm sure there'll be SOMETHING entertaining here. Pass the bacon!

Oh right! It was your turn to bring the bacon to the party. Silly me
    I'll stay out this one for now too. Wait to see who bites..
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    A lot of people (not just the people here on MFP), think that completely cutting out carbohydrates is the way to go. I beg to differ. WE NEED CARBS! It's just a matter of choosing the right ones. Complex carbohydrates provide fiber, which is necessary for stabilizing blood sugar levels.
    Also, if you have suggestions for incorporating complex carbs into my diet, please tell me! I've been eating primarily simple carbs.
    Your responses are appreciated!

Thank you! Too many people don't understand simple carbs vs. complex carbs. For me, I buy nothing but whole grain breads, brown rice, pastas, and tortillas. It will provide you with extra fiber and will help you stay fuller longer.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options

*eating popcorn*

Not much of a show right now.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!
  • lockef
    Options

*eating popcorn*

Does this mean I get a refund?
  • bree2012
    Options

*eating popcorn*

Does this mean I get a refund?

Wait for a few more hours. Most people are nocturnal internet users.
  • trailrider1963
    Options

*eating popcorn*

:laugh:
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

and give you diabetes! (if you eat too many and from the wrong sources)

Well they gave me diabetes anyway. I followed the low fat, whole grain, brown bread, brown rice diet for years and years, I continuously gained about 5-10 lbs per year, got diabetes, and high blood pressure.

I've been restricting my carbs to non-starchy veggies for one month now and my blood pressure is normal, and my blood glucose has been normal everytime I've tested this month.

So yeah do what you want, but if the low fat thing isn't working for you...you might want to look at where you get your carbs from.

Please pass the bacon!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

*eating popcorn*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bree2012
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

The dietary fiber that is found in complex carbs actually curbs your appetite, and prevents crashes in blood sugar levels.
    Low-carb may provide immediate results, but it is hard to sustain in the long run. I don't think it's healthy to put your body in a prolonged state of ketosis.
    But if it works for you, great!
  • alexisrebecca
    alexisrebecca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Carbs are THE only way I survive a hangover.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Carbs are non-essential. The reason is that protein is converted in the body to glucose therefore negating carbohydrates. So even if you go on a meat only diet a good percentage of the meat is turned into carbohydrate in the body for proper body function.

However, you will die if you go on a high carb diet devoid of protein since then your body doesn't have the building blocks to replenish its cells.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy to put your body in a prolonged state of ketosis.

Why?