Why we need carbs.

Options

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    The reason a lot of people end up with diabetes is not so much the carbs but the sugar.... cut out your sodas if nothing else!!! Your pancreas can only do so much, and once its been abused so long you end up with diabetes... (unless you have Type 1 the cause is unknown) but Type 2 is mainly due to lifestyle factors caused by too much sugar in the diet (sodas being the main culprit)!!! And sugar from fruit is totally different than sugar from a soft drink!!! The sugar hits your body immediately with a soda but is slowed down by the fiber in fruit and makes it easily manageable by the pancreas!!!!

Favorite Quote “Drink your water people”. ~Tony Horton

Facts about diabetes: Type 2

1. A person can inherit diabetes. If mom and dad have it, most like it their children will inherit it or a child of theirs will inherit it.
    2. Skinny people and overweight people can get diabetes. Healthy and unhealthy people can get diabetes.
    3. Sugar from food can cause diabetes. A person doesn't have to eat candy, cakes, etc. to get diabetes. Sugar from food is what causes diabetes.
    4. Smoking can cause diabetes
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Grokette and hpsnickers- you go girls.

I eat low carb (primalish). Basically all the carbs I get are from veggies, tree nuts, and some fruit (pretty much just berries). When I was vegan I was fat, sick, depressed and hungry all the time. I was starving myself (yes, starving at 320 pounds-on the cellular level) with a high-carb, low-fat diet. My mother, who made her T2 diabetes go bye-bye by switching to Atkins (which she's done for over 15 years- not sustainable, my foot), tried to get me over to what I at the time viewed as the "dark side" for years... finally I started to listen taking advice slowly, going to a Low G-I or "healthy carb" diet, adding in more protein, cutting sugar, to a more Atkinsy approach, cutting out other startches, etc, to finally discovering some information that was life changing from things like Gary Taube's books, Tom Naughton's film and blog, as well as the books of Mark Sisson, Rob Wolff, and Cordain... the health problems caused by eating things like sugar and wheat and other carbohydrates that these brilliant people spoke of were so similar to my experiences that I finally embraced what my mother had been trying to get her obese rebellious teenaged daughter to do. I now eat high-fat, low-carb (total carb intake per day usually around 10%), almost no processed foods, almost entirely vegetables (some more than others, not all created equal), eggs, and meat. I haven't given up dairy, but cut way back. I lost a lot more weight, stabilized my mood and energy levels, stopped taking meds for insomnia, depression, anxiety, and more because I simply no longer need them.

That is JUST MY STORY.

I can't speak for anyone else, but unless I'm actually an alien, I think I can show that humans (or at least some) don't need carbs, in fact carbs can be very harmful to some people. When my mother lived off of low-fat muffins and rice and "whole wheat" bread with low-cal margarine and low-fat salad dressing to dip her fat-free potato chips in, she was sick in bed all the time, had an unstable mood, was diagnosed diabetic, and felt like she was dying. And now, I know my mother has days when her total carb intake has been 2grams. The woman is 60, a toned size 8, and bicycles an average of 40 miles every morning.

Maybe we ARE aliens. Creepy.

I've said it once today and it bares repeating (and I'm saying it to myself as much as anyone on here with any variety of opinions):
    "Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

Awesome ;)
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    The reason a lot of people end up with diabetes is not so much the carbs but the sugar.... cut out your sodas if nothing else!!! Your pancreas can only do so much, and once its been abused so long you end up with diabetes... (unless you have Type 1 the cause is unknown) but Type 2 is mainly due to lifestyle factors caused by too much sugar in the diet (sodas being the main culprit)!!! And sugar from fruit is totally different than sugar from a soft drink!!! The sugar hits your body immediately with a soda but is slowed down by the fiber in fruit and makes it easily manageable by the pancreas!!!!

1. A person can inherit diabetes. If mom and dad have it, most like it their children will inherit it or a child of theirs will inherit it.
    2. Skinny people and overweight people can get diabetes. Healthy and unhealthy people can get diabetes.
    3. Sugar from food can cause diabetes. A person doesn't have to eat candy, cakes, etc. to get diabetes. Sugar from food is what causes diabetes.

First off... i said a lot of people (not everyone) but diet is a BIG factor for most diabetes!!! You dont need to give me a lesson in diabetes.... i work in health care and know all about it!!! You can think diet isnt the main culprit if you want to but you are only fooling yourself!!!! If thats not the case then why are more and more children, teens and young adults being diagnosed with it??? Because it is being linked to the high obesity rates of the UNITED STATES because of all the crap we put in our bodies!!! Can you can get diabetes if your healthy and skinny??? Yes, but more than likely its because you have a bad pancreas and it cant do its job properly!!!! Whether it is inherited, caused by some other underlying illness, or something unhealthy you are doing to your body that causes your pancreas to stop working efficiently!!! For the most part people ruin their pancreas with their crap diets!!!! Facts are facts!!!
  • GiGi76
    Options
    Type 2 diabetes is most often preventable!!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

First off... i said a lot of people (not everyone) but diet is a BIG factor for most diabetes!!! You dont need to give me a lesson in diabetes.... i work in health care and know all about it!!! You can think diet isnt the main culprit if you want to but you are only fooling yourself!!!! If thats not the case then why are more and more children, teens and young adults being diagnosed with it??? Because it is being linked to the high obesity rates of the UNITED STATES because of all the crap we put in our bodies!!! Can you can get diabetes if your healthy and skinny??? Yes, but more than likely its because you have a bad pancreas and it cant do its job properly!!!! Whether it is inherited, caused by some other underlying illness, or something unhealthy you are doing to your body that causes your pancreas to stop working efficiently!!! For the most part people ruin their pancreas with their crap diets!!!! Facts are facts!!!

This!!
  • AZackery
    Options

I have a medical degree too.
  • servilia
    Options

What degree is that exactly?
  • GiGi76
    Options

Then you SHOULD know this, and not need it explained!!! Oh well, im not worried about your health if your not!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Carbs are non-essential. The reason is that protein is converted in the body to glucose therefore negating carbohydrates. So even if you go on a meat only diet a good percentage of the meat is turned into carbohydrate in the body for proper body function.

However, you will die if you go on a high carb diet devoid of protein since then your body doesn't have the building blocks to replenish its cells.

It's impossible to eat whole grains and not eat protein since they contain protein. But it is possible to live without eating protein. There are people who are alergic to protein. It's rare, but it happens.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Then you SHOULD know this, and not need it explained!!! Oh well, im not worried about your health if your not!!!

I didn't ask you to explain anything to me. As for my health, I own it, not you or anyone else.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Family history and genetics play a bigger role in type 2 than type 1, though environmental factors do also play a role. If both parents are diabetic a child has 1 in 2 risk of becoming diabetic. It's not all about being fat or eating sugar.
  • GiGi76
    Options

I didn't ask you to explain anything to me. As for my health, I own it, not you or anyone else.

If you cant play nice you shouldnt be on the forums.... i mean you act like you are the know it all of everything diabetes!!! The rest of us arent idiots, maybe you should do a little more research before you start trying to tell people how it is!!! Good luck with your diet and controlling your diabetes!!!! I bid you adieu!!!
  • AZackery
    Options
    Family history and genetics play a bigger role in type 2 than type 1, though environmental factors do also play a role. If both parents are diabetic a child has 1 in 2 risk of becoming diabetic. It's not all about being fat or eating sugar.

Thanks Bcattoes that's the same thing I have stated in an above post.
  • GiGi76
    Options

Again never said it was but it does play a big role... as big or bigger than family history and genetics.... Again if not why are more and more of our children and everyone in general becoming diabetic and why are the majority of them obese???
  • AZackery
    Options
    If you cant play nice you shouldnt be on the forums.... i mean you act like you are the know it all of everything diabetes!!! The rest of us arent idiots, maybe you should do a little more research before you start trying to tell people how it is!!! Good luck with your diet and controlling your diabetes!!!! I bid you adieu!!!

I have never told anyone that they didn't know anyting about diabetes. I've made posts, just like you did. Tell me, are you a diabetic? Can you honestly tell me that what I have said in my posts are wrong and how they are wrong?
  • servilia
    Options

I have never told anyone that they didn't know anyting about diabetes. I've made posts, just like you did. Tell me, are you a diabetic? Can you honestly tell me that what I have said in my posts are wrong and how they are wrong?

There you are again, asking someone whether they're diabetic.. you asked me the same thing! Why do you ask about this? What does it have to do with her post?
  • AZackery
    Options
    There you are again, asking someone whether they're diabetic.. you asked me the same thing! Why do you ask about this? What does it have to do with her post?

Servilia, please mind your own business. I'm not talking to you.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Again never said it was but it does play a big role... as big or bigger than family history and genetics.... Again if not why are more and more of our children and everyone in general becoming diabetic and why are the majority of them obese???

Because obesity is one risk factor, whether you got there by eating sugar or protein or whatever.
  • GiGi76
    Options

No i dont, but my mothers entire side does and all of them eat like crap (fried food and lots of sweets).... my father side is Greek and they all eat a Mediterranean diet and all have lived to be 90 years or older with no health problem where my mothers side all have diabetes and heart problems to boot!!! Do what you like and i will do what works for me!!!
  • servilia
    Options

Servilia, please mind your own business. I'm not talking to you.

Sorry to break it to you but you don't owe this website. Can't tell me where to post and not to post.