Why we need carbs.

Options

Replies

• h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy to put your body in a prolonged state of ketosis.

Why?

Because your breath will stink, you will get fired from your job for being repugnant, you will spend all your money on bacon, go broke and die alone and hungry on the street.

Ketosis: It kills.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

The dietary fiber that is found in complex carbs actually curbs your appetite, and prevents crashes in blood sugar levels.
    Low-carb may provide immediate results, but it is hard to sustain in the long run. I don't think it's healthy to put your body in a prolonged state of ketosis.
    But if it works for you, great!

I was being sarcastic. Sorry, if you didn't get it. I am a high carb, low fat dieter. And for the record, I am a T2 diabetic who is insulin resistant who eats nothing but carbs (my diary is open to the pubic) and I am no longer taking insulin shots, metformin and glyburide and high blood pressure medication.

My signature says carbs don't make you fat, you make you(rself) fat. I whole-heartedy believe this. If you don't understand your nutritional needs, you will not be healthy. Whether that's low fat, low carb, high sugar, low sugar. It's on us to learn how to be healthy! It just happens I am a low fat, high carb person.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    I don't think it's healthy to put your body in a prolonged state of ketosis.

Why?

Sorry if I am being ignorant, but ketosis burns your fat storage, instead of the carbs that are needed to fuel your vital organs. It's good for rapid weight loss, but that's it.
  • bree2012
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

The dietary fiber that is found in complex carbs actually curbs your appetite, and prevents crashes in blood sugar levels.
    Low-carb may provide immediate results, but it is hard to sustain in the long run. I don't think it's healthy to put your body in a prolonged state of ketosis.

I was being sarcastic. Sorry, if you didn't get it. I am a high carb, low fat dieter. And for the record, I am a T2 diabetic who is insulin resistant who eats nothing but carbs (my diary is open to the pubic) and I am no longer taking insulin shots, metformin and glyburide and high blood pressure medication.

My signature says carbs don't make you fat, you make you(rself) fat. I whole-heartedy believe this. If you don't understand your nutritional needs, you will not be healthy. Whether that's low fat, low carb, high sugar, low sugar. It's on us to learn how to be healthy! It just happens I am a low fat, high carb person.

How ignorant of me. Sorry I didn't catch your sarcasm!
  • taem
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

How ignorant of me. Sorry I didn't catch your sarcasm!

LOL, people were breaking out the popcorn!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

This is not true. Carbs regardless cause blood sugar to raise, which in turn causes insulin to be released. Does not matter if it is whole grain whatever or white, bleached flour whatever................

Carbs other than vegetables and a few fruits here and there are all we should be eating. The rest is a WANT.
  • taem
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

This is not true. Carbs regardless cause blood sugar to raise, which in turn causes insulin to be released. Does not matter if it is whole grain whatever or white, bleached flour whatever................

Carbs other than vegetables and a few fruits here and there are all we should be eating. The rest is a WANT.

Thank you for your opinion!
  • bennight72
    Options
    Oh goodness.... here we go again....

Can I get in on the bacon???:wink:
  • taem
    Options
    Oh goodness.... here we go again....

Can I get in on the bacon???:wink:

No, it's true, carbs, regardless of it being simple or complex releases insulin. Was a good point!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love bacon as much as anyone, but gimme a nice big piece of warm toasted garlic bread, and I'm in heaven. :heart:
  • Grokette
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

It is not an opinion, it is a fact.
  • taem
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

Sorry, the opinion was you saying it is a WANT. Everyone controls their mouth and hands. You want to eat something, you have to know how it affects you. I learned it the hard way and am still learning.

For someone to come in and give blanket statements is becoming ego-centric. I did it when I first came to MFP and I regret it. I have no business telling others they should do this or that. I have my own principles and I will share if someone asks but I learned that support on the forums is pretty weak because everyone has a contrary opinion.

I respect your opinion. It works for you. Lets be friends now.
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I love bacon as much as anyone, but gimme a nice big piece of warm toasted garlic bread, and I'm in heaven. :heart:

I'll share that garlic bread with you, lightly golden and crunchy please!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

I used to have a big bowl of oatmeal and an apple each morning (high carb and high fiber). Within an hour to an hour and a half I was weak, shaking like a leaf and STARVING (i.e. blood sugar crash - interesting. Didn't curb my appetite - made it worse). Could barely wait until the cafeteria opened for lunch. Now my usual is 3 whole cage free eggs with omega-3s, 4 pieces of natural uncured bacon and I am full for hours (i.e. no blood sugar crash). And the whole fiber thing is a myth - it is based on nothing. No studies. No clinical evidence. All my digestive issues went away when I backed off the fiber from whole grains (they scrape the lining of your intestines, killing the microvilli that help move things along, perforate the walls of your intestines causing leaky gut (which supposedly doesn't exist because it's not in medical books - tell that to the people who deal with it). The insulin response of whole grain and white bread are almost identical. I eat unlimited fat. I am the lowest weight I have ever been since before puberty. I have muscle definition that I didn't see until I went Primal. My belly is flat for the first time in my life - since I went Primal. The only thing carbs do is keep your body burning off sugar all day long - and prevent it from burning fat. Ketosis is your body using your fat storage for fuel. That is what the body is supposed to do - burn fat.

Please check out theprimalparent.com. If Peggy starts eating carbs - her PCOS comes back full force. And that even includes fruits and vegetables. She lives a no-carb lifestyle and it is the only way she can stay healthy. And yes she is thin and she has been thin her entire life - not because she is no-carb.
  • Grokette
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

Sorry, the opinion was you saying it is a WANT. Everyone controls their mouth and hands. You want to eat something, you have to know how it affects you. I learned it the hard way and am still learning.

For someone to come in and give blanket statements is becoming ego-centric. I did it when I first came to MFP and I regret it. I have no business telling others they should do this or that. I have my own principles and I will share if someone asks but I learned that support on the forums is pretty weak because everyone has a contrary opinion.

The fact is - carbs are not a necessity. They are a want. We don't need carbs for proper body function. I am not giving a blanket statement, here is some of my research.

There are people such as the Eskimos and the Inuits that have never eaten carbohydrates and are healthier than the rest of us.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

The fact is - carbs are not a necessity. They are a want. We don't need carbs for proper body function. I am not giving a blanket statement, here is some of my research.

There are people such as the Eskimos and the Inuits that have never eaten carbohydrates and are healthier than the rest of us.

And the ones that started eating a westernized diet soon developed obesity, diabetes, heart disease - all the chronic illness that went along with the westernized diet.
  • Grokette
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

And the ones that started eating a westernized diet soon developed obesity, diabetes, heart disease - all the chronic illness that went along with the westernized diet.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't anyone who is losing fat from whatever method in a state of ketosis? I think what you want to beware of is ketoacidosis, but I may be wrong. I'll take my steak medium please.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have found that very low carbs actually make people depressed.
  • bree2012
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't anyone who is losing fat from whatever method in a state of ketosis? I think what you want to beware of is ketoacidosis, but I may be wrong. I'll take my steak medium please.

I don't think so. If you eat at your caloric deficit you'll burn muscle and fat. But again, I'm no expert.