New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone, I'm about halfway through phase 1 and I just started repeating a week's worth of workouts (my own choice) because I'm WIPED OUT!!!

I've been ambitious about increasing my weights, steadily, but heavily and I'm just feeling wiped! I don't know if I should keep going this route or not, but I'm finding it hard to do any sort of cardio on non-lift days.

I will say, and I know I should consult a doctor for a professional opinion on this, but I've been taking a flexeril at night on lift days, otherwise, I wake up extremely stiff. Do you think this could be somehow affecting my strength?

I'm just so tired. I really don't want to reduce the weights. Do you think I need to though?

No one have any input on my previous post? I promise I won't take your opinion as medical advice, lol. I'm just curious what you guys think. I'm still so utterly exhausted!!!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone, I'm about halfway through phase 1 and I just started repeating a week's worth of workouts (my own choice) because I'm WIPED OUT!!!

I've been ambitious about increasing my weights, steadily, but heavily and I'm just feeling wiped! I don't know if I should keep going this route or not, but I'm finding it hard to do any sort of cardio on non-lift days.

I will say, and I know I should consult a doctor for a professional opinion on this, but I've been taking a flexeril at night on lift days, otherwise, I wake up extremely stiff. Do you think this could be somehow affecting my strength?

I'm just so tired. I really don't want to reduce the weights. Do you think I need to though?

No one have any input on my previous post? I promise I won't take your opinion as medical advice, lol. I'm just curious what you guys think. I'm still so utterly exhausted!!!

1. Are you eating enough calories? Are you following the recommended amount of calories from the book?
    2. Are you eating good calories? Are you giving your body the fuel it needs to complete these workouts?
    3. If you're eating good and are still wiped out, then I'd cut out all other forms of exercise except for lifting, and cut that back to twice a week and give your body two days between workouts to recover.
    4. Just my personal experience - but Flexeril wipes me out. Puts me right to sleep when I take it. If your muscles are sore, maybe you should take something weaker than Flexeril.

Unless you're having a problem maintaining form, I'd stick with the amount of weight, just make sure you're following a good, healthy diet and getting enough rest.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    1. Are you eating enough calories? Are you following the recommended amount of calories from the book?
    2. Are you eating good calories? Are you giving your body the fuel it needs to complete these workouts?
    3. If you're eating good and are still wiped out, then I'd cut out all other forms of exercise except for lifting, and cut that back to twice a week and give your body two days between workouts to recover.
    4. Just my personal experience - but Flexeril wipes me out. Puts me right to sleep when I take it. If your muscles are sore, maybe you should take something weaker than Flexeril.

Unless you're having a problem maintaining form, I'd stick with the amount of weight, just make sure you're following a good, healthy diet and getting enough rest.

Thank you for your input! :) I am actually eating over the amount of calories suggested on most days because I've just been ravenous. I'm mostly getting enough protein, but I should still be eating better and cutting down on a little bit of the processed foods I've gotten back in the habit of eating. I'll try to work more on that and see if that makes a difference.

You did bring up a very good point I haven't been concentrating on about rest, especially sleep. I sleep decently, but I probably should be getting a little more than I am. I'm going to try to set a goal of getting in bed a little earlier and also see if this improves my exhaustion.

I do hate the idea of reducing weight, so I'm gonna give these suggestions a try and see if that improves my exhaustion level. Thank you again! :)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your thoughts and advice! I did some reading on the NROLFW forums last night, and apparently it's pretty common to have trouble with the front squat/push press. Some said to try the EZ Curl bars, which I will try next time, I think - and I'll go down to about 35 lbs, at least for the first set, to see if that helps at all. Barring that, I might try it with dumbbells also.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that is taking their time with the inclined push-ups, too. I'm feeling much better about all of this now!

Kensky, you're right, I should probably be a bit easier on myself! :) I can feel my muscles now (combination of working them and ditching some of the insulating layer on top of them, hehe), and I'm definitely stronger than I was in the middle of the summer! I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Thanks all!!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with level 1. I only have 3 workouts left. I would have been done this week but I was away for 5 days. Yesterday I did Level 1, workout 7A. I went up to 55 lbs for the squats and I am really feeling it today. I was hoping to be squatting heavier than that by time Level 1 was done but I guess I'm not ready. It took some effort getting back up on the final few squats. I will still try to increase the weight on my next workout though to see how far I can go. I am looking forward to moving on though. Level 2 does look pretty intimidating however. I am a bit scared of the push/press. I will try using the e-z curl bar first to make it easier on my wrists.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Finally started today! Loved it.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am sooooooooooooooooooooo late joining this thread. I got mine last week and am reading through now. I've adjusted my calorie targets and love how the book explains how and why and doesn't just tell you what to. Can't wait to get my workouts started on wednesday
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tried the front squat push press today with a curl bar, since the gym I went to does not have the fixed-weight barbells, and...it was really hard on my wrists...worse than a regular barbell! I could only do two sets with 45 lbs (I'm in Stage 4) and I have been doing 3 at that weight.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I tried the front squat push press today with a curl bar, since the gym I went to does not have the fixed-weight barbells, and...it was really hard on my wrists...worse than a regular barbell! I could only do two sets with 45 lbs (I'm in Stage 4) and I have been doing 3 at that weight.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I haven't had any problems with my wrists...

It IS hard, I did it for the second time last Friday and managed 9 reps on the first set and 8.5 on the second (couldn't quite get a full press). I did have major bruises on my shoulders but used a pad the second time and it was fine.

I'm wondering why they have us doing all that ab work when he pretty much pokes fun of doing crunches in the book. Seriously, Workout B of Stage 2 has like 4 ab/core exercises! Yesterday I was short on time so I did 25 prone jackknives instead. I think I'll do some planks at home, but all that other stuff, I don't really see the purpose of it.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wow I just had a right thicko long moment then trying to figure out the workouts lol So easy once you get your head around it really. Must be the tiredness kicking in.
  • idauria
    Options
    Ok I have a question regarding level 2. Do you alternate A and B workouts like in level 1? It says to do each workout 4 times but it doesn't say if you alternate. I assume you follow the same protocol as the first stage, but I want to be sure. Thanks!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yup! Alternate.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Ok I have a question regarding level 2. Do you alternate A and B workouts like in level 1? It says to do each workout 4 times but it doesn't say if you alternate. I assume you follow the same protocol as the first stage, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

You got it!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I thought the workouts and how they were setup (alternating and whatnot) were pretty confusing the way the book lays them out. I got a lot out of googling NROLFW + workout logs and finding werkit.com's already setup logs. You need to have the book so that you can answer their "secret password question" but once I got those papers printed out, it made things a lot less confusing.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am really really sore from Monday's workout still. Definitely a total body workout. I am sore everywhere. I don't think I've ever had sore forearms from lifting! I think I'm going to just do 2 work outs this week and wait until Thursday.
  • idauria
    Options
    I thought the workouts and how they were setup (alternating and whatnot) were pretty confusing the way the book lays them out. I got a lot out of googling NROLFW + workout logs and finding werkit.com's already setup logs. You need to have the book so that you can answer their "secret password question" but once I got those papers printed out, it made things a lot less confusing.

Yes, I actually am using the workout logs from werkit.com. It definitely makes tracking the exercises a lot easier.
  • idauria
    Options
    Wow. I am really really sore from Monday's workout still. Definitely a total body workout. I am sore everywhere. I don't think I've ever had sore forearms from lifting! I think I'm going to just do 2 work outs this week and wait until Thursday.

I get sore arms from holding 22.5 lb weights when I do lunges. I can feel it in my triceps and shoulders. I guess it's good because you're using more muscles. If you're that sore then definitely ease into it. You don't want to hurt yourself!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I was really sore after my very first workout too. Definitely take it easy so you don't hurt yourself.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options