New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    HI,

by the way this is Yanicka....I had to erase my last profile (long story)

In the last 6 weeks. I lost 6 inches. But this week I am waiting for TOM to show up and I have not lost anything. I am happy to come to an end of session 1. I need change. How do you handle the rest week?

That's amazing results!!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    HI,

In the last 6 weeks. I lost 6 inches. But this week I am waiting for TOM to show up and I have not lost anything. I am happy to come to an end of session 1. I need change. How do you handle the rest week?

Great results!

I did the first workout with 3 sets today. The prone Jackknives kick my butt all the time. I still can't get to 10 push ups on the floor-boo.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    HI,

Great results!

I did the first workout with 3 sets today. The prone Jackknives kick my butt all the time. I still can't get to 10 push ups on the floor-boo.

After many delays I'm finally starting Stage 1 of NROLFW tomorrow. I've reviewed all of the exercises for Workouts A & B and feel comfortable with them except for one.

Can someone please let me know if there's a tip to doing the prone jackknife without falling flat on my face? The only place to do this is in the mat area of the weight section and I'm usually the only girl there. I know I should just suck it up but I'm so afraid of doing it wrong or falling off the ball. Suggestions?
  • idauria
    Options
    Out of all the exercises the prone jackknifes were my least favorite. They really hurt my wrists and lower back.

The way I did them was to lay on the swiss ball and then roll forward until the ball was under my shins. Firmly place your hands on the floor and roll forward.

I thought maybe I had lost something in my hips but I measured before and the measurements for my hips and waist went up?!?!?! Wth? I swear I can't lose for anything. I can feel the difference in my legs though, which is nice. I think my butt is also a little higher, which is good because mine was always kind of flat. It's getting a little rounder :) I still have that blasted belly fat. But I will continue doing what I'm doing and see what happens.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who commented on my calorie question. I appreciate the input! :flowerforyou:

I've been eating about 1600 per day (every day - workout or not) for awhile now. But based on my NROLFW math calculations (pages 63-65), I should be eating 1739 on non-workout days and 1987 on workout days. So I'm going to shoot to be more in line with that starting on Monday.

I'm not sure if I'll be ready to actually start Stage 1, Workout A on Monday or not - it depends on how much reading I can do over the weekend! If not, I'll stick to my current weight training (and cardio) routine next week and will start NROLFW on 10/17.

Can't wait to get started and be more actively involved in this group. I'm really happy to have found a group of women who LOVE weight training!!! It'll be a nice change to have someone to talk to about it OTHER than my husband! :wink:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    HI,

That's amazing results!!

Oh oh!!! I mean 6 inches total not 6 inches at one place LOL. It's been 2 inches at my belly button, 1 inch at my thights (up and down) for exemple :)
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Out of all the exercises the prone jackknifes were my least favorite. They really hurt my wrists and lower back.

The way I did them was to lay on the swiss ball and then roll forward until the ball was under my shins. Firmly place your hands on the floor and roll forward.

I thought maybe I had lost something in my hips but I measured before and the measurements for my hips and waist went up?!?!?! Wth? I swear I can't lose for anything. I can feel the difference in my legs though, which is nice. I think my butt is also a little higher, which is good because mine was always kind of flat. It's getting a little rounder :) I still have that blasted belly fat. But I will continue doing what I'm doing and see what happens.

Thanks! I'll be sure to try that technique. How long have you been doing the New Rules for now?
  • idauria
    Options

Thanks! I'll be sure to try that technique. How long have you been doing the New Rules for now?

I just finished level 1 this morning. It took me 5 weeks I think because I took some vacation last week. Next week I'll do the bonus workouts and then right into level 2. I don't think I need a break. I don't like not being active and I rather lift than do cardio.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have one last week on stage 1 and had not lost any weight during that entire time (maintained, though, which is good) - until this morning! I dropped 2.2 pounds this morning and I got on that scale 3 or 4 times just to be sure. I'd been taping and not seeing much shrinkage in size, but I can see it all over in the places I don't normally measure, like my shoulders. Also, my waist is tightening up significantly and my baby belly pooch is getting smaller. I've had to start wearing a belt with all my work pants to keep from yanking them up all the time. Yay for heavy lifting! In 6 weeks I've gone from squats with "Barbie weights" to 55 pounds, deadlifts of 90 pounds, and real pushups. I actually love the Prone Jackknife, which gets all the credit for the belly reduction in my book.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Who has ventured into Stage 3 yet? How much does the body weight matrix suck?
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have completed my first two workouts. I LOVE it! I am SO sore today. I think that I may have started out too high for my first deadlifts with 15 lbs on each side. My back muscles are really killing me today. I hate to go down on the weight though. This is great stuff.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've been hesitating doing this but I think it's time. I haven't been following the nutritional guidelines set up in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book because the numbers seem so HIGH. I promised myself I'd try eating my MFP calories for the first 4 weeks to see how it went. I gave myself closer to 8 weeks because I went a little crazy with my eating during part of Phase 1. I've been steadily at the same weight (give or take 3 lbs) since I started the program so I've decide to follow the nutritional guidelines in the book. That means that on workout days I will be eating 2400 calories (yikes!!!) and on rest days I will be eating 2118 calories. What I will really need to focus on is making sure that those are healthy calories. I think I'm going to bump up my calories by mixing my protein powder with milk instead of water and adding almonds, peanut butter and other high calorie healthy foods into my diet. I plan on reassessing how much I'm eating after 4-6 weeks. Has anyone else had good luck in eating more calories?

I have! Trust in the program with the calories! It was weird to me at first to bump up to such a tremendous number, but I've continued being beastly hungry, even with so many more calories, lol. For me, this has been a monster metabolism boost. I can't say I've lost steady weight, I'm not really paying much attention to the scale... BUT, I'm looking better than I ever have and jiggly 'bits' are more solid than ever before.

I say try it and if it isn't working after a couple of weeks, you can always reduce calories again.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Does someone have tips on how to get my head down and but up on the prone jackknives?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Does someone have tips on how to get my head down and but up on the prone jackknives?

Hummm it 's a little bit difficult to explain. First I put the ball on my tummy then roll foward until the ball is on my thights and I have my hands firmly on the ground. Then I just bring my knees toward my chest. The results are that my but goes up and my head goes down.

Clear as mud?
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Re: body weight matrix. It sucks *so bad* (not going to lie) but you feel great when you see the improvement. There will be improvement!

This really does relate to NROLFW, promise. I just got my copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and it is such a comprehensive detailed instructional tool for how to safely and effectively lift heavy weights! I really recommend it to anybody who struggled with bars hurting backs during squats, deadlift anxiety, etc. I am not allowing myself to truly dive in until after finals week but I can already see it being life-changing. (I'm a nerd.)
  • persistenttiger
    persistenttiger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get the the bodyweight matrix. It looks fun, haha!

I did Stage 1, Workout A2 yesterday.. my butt is sore today! Step ups are awesome, haha.
  • idauria
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't even really looked at the workouts past stage 2. I don't want to scare myself!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my butt is sooooooooo sore after doing Workout B, stage 1 for the first time. I don't think it's ever been so sore. Wow.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I discovered last week that I was doing the pushups incorrectly. I thought I could go right to the full pushups because I could manage a couple sets from the get-go, but when I watched my form in a mirror I realized I wasn't going down nearly enough and my arms were all winged out to the sides. Last week I stepped down to the 30% pushups to work on my form, keeping my arms close in, and WOW have my shoulders been hurting! It's like they had never ever been worked in my entire life. I'm hoping this week I can squeeze out a few proper on-the-floor push-ups with good form now that I know what it actually feels like. For anybody despairing about having to do the 45 or 30% pushups - don't! When you're ready you'll have really good form and killer shoulders :).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I discovered last week that I was doing the pushups incorrectly. I thought I could go right to the full pushups because I could manage a couple sets from the get-go, but when I watched my form in a mirror I realized I wasn't going down nearly enough and my arms were all winged out to the sides. Last week I stepped down to the 30% pushups to work on my form, keeping my arms close in, and WOW have my shoulders been hurting! It's like they had never ever been worked in my entire life. I'm hoping this week I can squeeze out a few proper on-the-floor push-ups with good form now that I know what it actually feels like. For anybody despairing about having to do the 45 or 30% pushups - don't! When you're ready you'll have really good form and killer shoulders :).

Yeah, the whole elbows close to the body thing was different than I'd been doing push-ups my entire life (although I did them that way during Turbo Fire but she called that version "tricep push-up" and we did those and regular push-ups).