New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Crap, I was supposed to start nrolfw tonight and forgot my book at home. anyone have the first workout that they can send me so that I can stick to the plan?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I thought the workouts and how they were setup (alternating and whatnot) were pretty confusing the way the book lays them out. I got a lot out of googling NROLFW + workout logs and finding werkit.com's already setup logs. You need to have the book so that you can answer their "secret password question" but once I got those papers printed out, it made things a lot less confusing.

Thanks for the tip. I'm having my hubs get me the password now!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Hi Everyone! While I'm not new to weight training, I am new to NROLFW. I got my book last week and have been working my way through it all (in addition to "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe - picked up the book & DVD). I'm very excited for when I'll be finished with my reading and can start doing!!! :happy:

My question for those of you who've been following this plan - I calculated my calories for non-workout vs workout days and I'm just wondering if workout days are only weight training days? Or is that any workout day? Meaning - if I look at the chart on page 233 would I eat "workout day" calories on any day that isn't an "off" day? Thanks for your input!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I thought the workouts and how they were setup (alternating and whatnot) were pretty confusing the way the book lays them out. I got a lot out of googling NROLFW + workout logs and finding werkit.com's already setup logs. You need to have the book so that you can answer their "secret password question" but once I got those papers printed out, it made things a lot less confusing.

I'm off to do this right now to save me a lot of time. Thanks :) I think they should do a phone app with the workouts in that is much easier to cart about and keep nice than a piece of paper
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

I'm off to do this right now to save me a lot of time. Thanks :) I think they should do a phone app with the workouts in that is much easier to cart about and keep nice than a piece of paper

I use the Jefit app on my phone to track workouts. I couldn't figure out how to search user-submitted routines though, so I just created my own from the exercises in the book.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That's a good question. I interpreted it to mean that you would eat "workout" day calories on any day that you would have a workout (weight lifting or not). But I generally add a cardio session after my weight session so I probably have more "rest" days than those who alternate days of weight lifting and cardio.

However, I generally just keep my calories the same each day (between 1800 and 1900) and don't really sweat the nuances of the different days. That's the way I kept it for Stage 1 and it worked out fine (I'm on Stage 2). Also, listen to your body. Some days I felt I needed to put more into my tank and add a few hundred calories and that kept me fueled and ready for my next workout. I would experiment if I were you.

I hope this helps.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That's a good question. I interpreted it to mean that you would eat "workout" day calories on any day that you would have a workout (weight lifting or not). But I generally add a cardio session after my weight session so I probably have more "rest" days than those who alternate days of weight lifting and cardio.

However, I generally just keep my calories the same each day (between 1800 and 1900) and don't really sweat the nuances of the different days. That's the way I kept it for Stage 1 and it worked out fine (I'm on Stage 2). Also, listen to your body. Some days I felt I needed to put more into my tank and add a few hundred calories and that kept me fueled and ready for my next workout. I would experiment if I were you.

I hope this helps.

Ooops. This was in reply to jkuhn71's question.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! While I'm not new to weight training, I am new to NROLFW. I got my book last week and have been working my way through it all (in addition to "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe - picked up the book & DVD). I'm very excited for when I'll be finished with my reading and can start doing!!! :happy:

My question for those of you who've been following this plan - I calculated my calories for non-workout vs workout days and I'm just wondering if workout days are only weight training days? Or is that any workout day? Meaning - if I look at the chart on page 233 would I eat "workout day" calories on any day that isn't an "off" day? Thanks for your input!

Quite frankly, I've put my calories to maintenance and eat my exercice calories.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I started NROLFW few weeks ago-I'm half way on stage 1, starting the 3 sets next time I go to the gym. Loving it so far!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all this stuff about calories really drives me insane. I have decided to eat when I am hungry and not when I am not. Of course with the understanding that I am eating healthy foods. I don't think I will go over doing it this way unless I really go all out and cheat. Some days I am just hungrier than others. Although I have found that drinking protein shakes really helps keep me full and I have come to realize how much I love them. It's just so much easier than preparing something to eat and I know exactly what's in it so it's easy to know the calorie count. Typically I drink two a day - one for breakfast and one for an afternoon snack. It's also really the only way I get a leg up on my protein intake.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Quite frankly, I've put my calories to maintenance and eat my exercice calories.

This is what I'm trying to do (although it my maintenance as calculated using the book and not what MFP calculates).
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've been hesitating doing this but I think it's time. I haven't been following the nutritional guidelines set up in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book because the numbers seem so HIGH. I promised myself I'd try eating my MFP calories for the first 4 weeks to see how it went. I gave myself closer to 8 weeks because I went a little crazy with my eating during part of Phase 1. I've been steadily at the same weight (give or take 3 lbs) since I started the program so I've decide to follow the nutritional guidelines in the book. That means that on workout days I will be eating 2400 calories (yikes!!!) and on rest days I will be eating 2118 calories. What I will really need to focus on is making sure that those are healthy calories. I think I'm going to bump up my calories by mixing my protein powder with milk instead of water and adding almonds, peanut butter and other high calorie healthy foods into my diet. I plan on reassessing how much I'm eating after 4-6 weeks. Has anyone else had good luck in eating more calories?
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I've been hesitating doing this but I think it's time. I haven't been following the nutritional guidelines set up in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book because the numbers seem so HIGH. I promised myself I'd try eating my MFP calories for the first 4 weeks to see how it went. I gave myself closer to 8 weeks because I went a little crazy with my eating during part of Phase 1. I've been steadily at the same weight (give or take 3 lbs) since I started the program so I've decide to follow the nutritional guidelines in the book. That means that on workout days I will be eating 2400 calories (yikes!!!) and on rest days I will be eating 2118 calories. What I will really need to focus on is making sure that those are healthy calories. I think I'm going to bump up my calories by mixing my protein powder with milk instead of water and adding almonds, peanut butter and other high calorie healthy foods into my diet. I plan on reassessing how much I'm eating after 4-6 weeks. Has anyone else had good luck in eating more calories?

I never ate less, but since really starting MFP in June I've eaten between 1860-2600 calories a day (except the last month when I was eating 3000-4000 due to vacation and a death in the family but I'm hoping I'm past that). My base was 1860 and I ate all my exercise calories that were sometimes as high as 600 and often went over. I was losing steadily at about a half pound a week. This was before New Rules too, I was doing Turbo Fire.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I use the Jefit app on my phone to track workouts. I couldn't figure out how to search user-submitted routines though, so I just created my own from the exercises in the book.

Cheers I'll have look for that. I'm a geek I'd rather carry my phone and be neat than scrappy bits of paper lol.

Had to postpone the lifting part till next week since I've come down with flu. Loving the extra calories though
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Just an added tidbit to those who are fretting about added calories (idauria, I can't see your food diary or else I might have more to add)--I didn't make progress (read: lost weight!) as I reached the "final pounds" toward goal weight until I did two things 1) eat more 2) take rest days.

As for following hunger cues, I know when I was eating more I could lift more which ramped up my metabolism and made me super hungry so I ate more and then I could lift more....and so on.

I am planning on doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength around mid-October. The one thing I read about about that program is to not monkey with it. I'm not sure how it could be used in conjunction with NROLFW without overtraining but I'm curious. I'd be tempted to start with NROLFW and then go into Rippetoe's program from there! Hey! That's because that's what I'm doing! :drinker:
  • idauria
    Options
    I don't make my diary public. It's more for me personally to see how I am doing. Also, I don't enter everything sometimes so it's not a true picture.

Here's another food question - I usually work out in the morning and then have a protein shake afterwards as my breakfast. Should I be eating something small prior to working out? I suppose it would give me more energy. I guess I am always afraid of eating too many cals during the day. I know I am definitely hungrier on lift days though.

I am definitely taking rest days. I lift MWF. I try to do some cardio on Tuesdays but honestly this week I could only eek out 30 mins on the elliptical because my legs were so sore from the previous day's workout. I am wondering how I can do cardio if my body is sore.

I don't know anything about that other program but I think it's a better idea to wait until you're done with new rules before starting something else. You could totally overtrain and burn out. But you know your body and what it can handle. How much longer do you have on new rules or are you already done?
  • persistenttiger
    persistenttiger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm in my first week of the program. Previous training history is bodypump for a year and a half.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I don't make my diary public. It's more for me personally to see how I am doing. Also, I don't enter everything sometimes so it's not a true picture.

Here's another food question - I usually work out in the morning and then have a protein shake afterwards as my breakfast. Should I be eating something small prior to working out? I suppose it would give me more energy. I guess I am always afraid of eating too many cals during the day. I know I am definitely hungrier on lift days though.

I am definitely taking rest days. I lift MWF. I try to do some cardio on Tuesdays but honestly this week I could only eek out 30 mins on the elliptical because my legs were so sore from the previous day's workout. I am wondering how I can do cardio if my body is sore.

Today I had 3 eggs, and 2 cups of coffee before working out and then a protein shake after. I was actually thinking I could have used a little more pre-workout. Monday I had an English muffin and 2 eggs. I was thinking of trying to read up and find out what mix of macros is best for per-workout. I was super hungry all afternoon (but my lunch sucked). You could re-read the chapter on calories. He really tries to explain it to us that we REALLY need to eat for this to work (and I love that he totally gets that we are going to have issues with it, and we of course do).

And I like to do light cardio when sore. Just get things moving, get the blood flowing and even stretch out. I think that it might even help relieve the soreness quicker.
  • idauria
    Options
    Yes, you would think that I would just go to the book to figure this all out, lol. I am thinking of having something small before I workout, like under 150 cals to get me through the workout and then having my protein shake. I'll have to find the book now.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    HI,

by the way this is Yanicka....I had to erase my last profile (long story)

In the last 6 weeks. I lost 6 inches. But this week I am waiting for TOM to show up and I have not lost anything. I am happy to come to an end of session 1. I need change. How do you handle the rest week?