New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    what's the difference between the "for women" version and the regular one? Like someone else said - pick up heavy things, put heavy things down. Are there modified positions for boobs or something!?

The original book was very geared towards men; mostly in the nutritional aspect and use of masculine pronouns and models.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    what's the difference between the "for women" version and the regular one? Like someone else said - pick up heavy things, put heavy things down. Are there modified positions for boobs or something!?

The original book was very geared towards men; mostly in the nutritional aspect and use of masculine pronouns and models.

I can live with masculine pronouns! The first review on Amazon quotes something from one of the author's blogs (I think) saying that you should start with bodyweight exercise first. Did most of you folks do that (guys or girls) or no?

I already do a lot of bodyweight exercises but my honey does not and I was thinking this seemed like a good book/program for him (he refuses to use my 8lb handweights even though frankly it would probably be ok as exercise, considering how out of shape he is and he thinks all my squats are ridiculous). If you recommend bodyweight training first, any suggestions?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Ok one other thing that confuses me....calorie intake. If I am going by his calculations, my resting metabolic rate is 1105(I am short and not overweight). When I use the multipliers, I get 1547 and 1768, no workout and active workout day respectively. MFP has me at 1200. So, what number should I be using as my daily intake? If I go over 1105 shouldn't I gain weight? This has me very confused.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I believe resting metabolic rate (or base metabolic rate) is if you never got out of bed in the morning and just slept the whole day through -- the calories your body burns at the very minimum. Even on a non-workout day, you will will be burning calories -- the amount depends on how active you are or how sedentary you are (even lifting the remote burns calories :-)

So, the lower number he talks about would include calories burned during your daily life -- running errands, working, cleaning, chasing kids, dogs, etc. And the higher number is for your workout day.

This is my interpretation but I could be wrong. I'm not trying to lose so I typically eat about 1800 calories a day (I really don't discriminate between workout and non-workout days). I hope this helps!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I believe resting metabolic rate (or base metabolic rate) is if you never got out of bed in the morning and just slept the whole day through -- the calories your body burns at the very minimum. Even on a non-workout day, you will will be burning calories -- the amount depends on how active you are or how sedentary you are (even lifting the remote burns calories :-)

So, the lower number he talks about would include calories burned during your daily life -- running errands, working, cleaning, chasing kids, dogs, etc. And the higher number is for your workout day.

This is my interpretation but I could be wrong. I'm not trying to lose so I typically eat about 1800 calories a day (I really don't discriminate between workout and non-workout days). I hope this helps!
  • baisleac
    Options
    alli_baba got it exactly right.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    So, what number should I be using as my daily intake? If I go over 1105 shouldn't I gain weight? This has me very confused.

Like I said earlier, I would skew my numbers closer to the NROLFW stats rather than the MFP suggested calories. MFP does not take in to consideration those (like you!) who are trying to build lean muscle.
  • idauria
    Options
    So should I use the 1500 number? I am afraid to raise my cals. However I have to say I find that when I am sticking to 1100-1200 cals I am hungry a lot. I am trying to eat cleaner/more healthy but I am having a hard time finding foods that will fill me up longer than a couple of hours.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes. I would take that leap and bump it up to the 1500. It is a bit scary...but worth it.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Here is a great resource of workout sheets, you just need the book to answer a question so you can have access to them.

http://werkit.com/programs/nrol4w
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Do you guys mostly follow the diet plan in the book? I've been eating at maintenance calories for awhile now and not really tracking so closely what I'm eating. I eat very healthy, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, etc so I think I'll be fine to just continue what I'm doing right now.
  • baisleac
    Options
    Do you guys mostly follow the diet plan in the book? I've been eating at maintenance calories for awhile now and not really tracking so closely what I'm eating. I eat very healthy, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, etc so I think I'll be fine to just continue what I'm doing right now.

I try for a 200-250 cal deficit, but I have a BodyBugg for my exact daily burn. Otherwise, I'd probably follow the book closer... and it's a good thing. The book's calculations are a lot closer than MFPs.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    On the original thread I saw someone mention that the book suggests you bump up your weights when the number of reps change. I've been bumping up my weights each workout, usually by 2.5-5 lbs. Is anyone else bumping ther weights up each workout? Also I was super sore the first week but am rarely sore now. Is it just because my body is use to the exercises or because I need to bump up my weights.
  • baisleac
    Options
    On the original thread I saw someone mention that the book suggests you bump up your weights when the number of reps change. I've been bumping up my weights each workout, usually by 2.5-5 lbs. Is anyone else bumping their weights up each workout? Also I was super sore the first week but am rarely sore now. Is it just because my body is use to the exercises or because I need to bump up my weights.

It could be either, actually. If you feel up to it, try bumping your weights up a little more. Not being able to finish the last rep or two of the last set is not a bad thing.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this book and can't wait to read it and put it into action.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So should I use the 1500 number? I am afraid to raise my cals. However I have to say I find that when I am sticking to 1100-1200 cals I am hungry a lot. I am trying to eat cleaner/more healthy but I am having a hard time finding foods that will fill me up longer than a couple of hours.

Definitely eat more. You will find the workouts REALLY hard to get through if you don't eat enough.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of the posts of this group, just the first few, but I would LOVE to join this group, if it's not too late. I haven't started the workouts yet. I still need to finish the book in the next day or two. I really feel like support would be very helpful. :)
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Meribeth, I find that the workouts (including cardio) all take me a solid hour to complete. I am still pro-cardio though so that is including a good 20 to 30 minute stint of eliptical/treadmill/etc. If a 60 minute chunk is too tricky to include in your schedule (I get that for sure!) I'd choose to split the weights and cardio up. I've had good luck doing cardio in the morning before anything else (read: breakfast) and then doing weights later in the afternoon/early evening. These days though, I have a good hour to hour an half of uninterrupted gym time as long as I get my butt out of bed by 5 am.

Thank you! Yes, I just did the first workout in stage 3 and it took an hour. I think if I know this and plan for it, it will be okay. But that's a great idea, to split up weights and cardio if necessary.

Phew. I am beat. That matrix was hard! I think I'm going to hurt tomorrow.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options

yes!! 1500 is even on the low end for a lot of people. On days I lift I eat around 2000 calories.
  • idauria
    Options
    I did my first workout this morning! It went by pretty quickly. I even did some intervals on the elliptical afterwards. I am currently on my 4th "meal" of the day. Instead of having 3 meals and 2 snacks I basically have 5 or 6 mini meals since they all tend to be 300 cals or less. My stomach likes it that way. I reset my cals here to 1500 and I added in the 245 cals I burned this morning so it obviously bumped my to 1745. Should I be eating that much? I don't even think I can eat that many cals!