New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Forgot to ask - do you all do the AMRAP bonus workouts? I think it's my favorite part!

I'll be doing these next week. My question is to I do them with the weights that I'm currently at or the weights that I started with at the beginning of the program?

The weights you started with. The idea is to show you how far you have progressed.

That's what I thought but that almost doesn't even seem like a challenge at this point. I guess that's a good sign that the program is working!

Do you really try to get in as many reps as possible? I feel pretty fatigued at the end of each minute - especially with the push-ups and jackknifes. I can't imagine you couldn't be just wrecked after them if you're really trying to get in as many as you can.
  • TluvK
    Options
    Hey ya'll! I start round 2 of 4 of Stage 7 tomorrow. I got new running shoes (Saucony! Feel like a perfect blend of light and cush! I'm jazzed) and I'm looking forward to adding more run/walk intervals into my routine.

Do you think you'll do these before or after? I do long intervals before my lifting:

I currently run one mile on the treadmill at 8.5 (approx 7 min mile). Walk for a minute and then a 1/2 mile at about a 6:45 pace, walk for a minute and then go back up to 8.5 for the remaining 1/2 mile (totaling 2 miles) - I then row for 5 minutes. I only do this because this is what I'm used to doing. Any suggestions from your experience?

What do you think you'll do with your run/walk intervals?

A good pair of running shoes makes all the difference!
  • TluvK
    Options
    Hi All - I've been seeing this thread floating around for a while - I've owned the book for a while too and read through it, but because I already had a fairly structured weight lifting regimen, I just never started the program....until last week! I'm loving it so far. I did my 2nd workout, of workout A of Phase 1 today.

I actually thought the first workout I did (workout A, phase 1) felt too easy, even though my weight was pretty decent, but I was a little sore the next day, so I was happy about that. I increased today and it was harder and a great burn!

I'm not accustomed to 15 reps - my typical reps on my own schedule have been around 6-8, so 15 reps is tough, especially with 95 lb squats!

Anyway - thanks for keeping this thread up - the information I've read so far is great. Great job ladies!

PS - some old guy at the gym this morning complimented me on my "big guns". :laugh:

95lb squats! You go!! I can't wait until I can squat that much and more. Today was 35 and those last 2 reps were hard.

I bet with this program, you'll increase your squat weight pretty quickly. It will be so nice when you get to 45 and you can just do the bar! How are you squatting now?

I've been squatting for about 2 months now and before that I did some very heavy lower body work-outs, so I'm pretty conditioned going in. I was also wondering about that. I have no trouble with 2 sets of 15 push-ups and the jackknifes are really easy for me. I'm wondering if I should increase already? I have to think they wrote the book for all levels of fitness. Thoughts?

If I were just starting NROLFW today I wouldn't do Stage 1. If you're that advanced I can't see the point of doing 15 reps of 95lb squats...move on to a harder stage, probably 3.

I've been thinking the same thing, actually. I might just still do each stage, but cut them down to 2-3 workouts a piece instead of the 6 (or whatever it is, can't remember right now).
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if most of you follow the nutrition plan that is given in the book?
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if most of you follow the nutrition plan that is given in the book?

I try to follow the 40%/30%/30% but didn't try anything in the book yet.
    This is my second week of doing the program, I've put my calories at maintenance and eat 75% of my exercice calories. I lost 1.2 pounds and one inch at my hips.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Honestly, TluvK, I think the book really does make a big difference. I posted in the old thread frequently about how I got something new out of each time I read or even flipped through it. As for prone jackknives, they were always pretty easy for me though I always felt them like crazy the next day so I did not alter those. The pushups I did make more challenging as the reps grew fewer by putting my feet on a bench and doing them on a decline (right? not an incline? the opposite of the easy way the book lays out for beginning push-uppers).

Alwyn's plan calls for intervals at the end of weight training. Actually he gives some wiggle room in the book if I recall correctly. You could do them on a whole separate day if that makes more sense to your training schedule. I do know from way back (and don't remember this being countered by NROLFW) that you should do the exercise you find most challenging/most want to focus on first. Which makes sense just from a standpoint of using up your energy. I find that building muscle is the priority for me so when I have a weight day (every M/W/F) I do whatever cardio work (whether interval or steady state) after lifting.

I am a new runner so I am still doing short bursts of running (sprinting! whee!) with short walking rest times when I do my higher intensity stuff.

I use very few recipes from the book but I do follow the 40/30/30 pretty much. I put even more of a priority on protein so my ratio is actually more like 40 protein/30 fat/ and 30 carbs. I am usually under on carbs since I feel better hovering around 100 grams a day or so. If I go over any macro, it is generally fat and so far I'm not wigging out about that. I have days I go over my protein goal and that is working fine for me too. The recipe I used and enjoyed was protein coffee with my new crazy-stevia-sweet protein powder (Healthy Whey from Hyvee) and it makes a good (sweet!) iced coffee.

I really do think the book is a worthy investment. I got mine used from amazon for less than five dollars. If you don't care so much about shiny new books that will likely be squashed at the gym (I had to use mine to look up stuff like onelegged romanian deadlifts when I was first starting out) I highly recommend a cheap, well-loved copy.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I just got my book today and am reading as fast as I can!!!!

I'm currently doing ChaLEAN Extreme (weight lifting DVD) and Turbo Fire (cardio DVD), but after reading a bit, I wonder if ChaLEAN Extreme is enough and if Turbo Fire is too much.

And I wonder if I'm eating enough. I'm set at 1300/day on MFP. Is that enough? Can I actually eat more and still lose a pound a week???

I'm very new to all this and haven't had a chance to read all the posts in this thread yet, so forgive me. Just got so excited and wanted to join this group as I hope to start the NROLFW program at some point.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    And I wonder if I'm eating enough. I'm set at 1300/day on MFP. Is that enough? Can I actually eat more and still lose a pound a week???

Gosh, it wouldn't be enough for me. I bet you can eat more and still lose steadily. You could either bump up your calories little by little and see what happens (I'd do 100 cal. a bump) or you could use your hunger as a guide for a week and see what happens, strength-wise and body-wise.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I'm currently doing ChaLEAN Extreme (weight lifting DVD) and Turbo Fire (cardio DVD), but after reading a bit, I wonder if ChaLEAN Extreme is enough and if Turbo Fire is too much.

I'm very new to all this and haven't had a chance to read all the posts in this thread yet, so forgive me. Just got so excited and wanted to join this group as I hope to start the NROLFW program at some point.

I still plan to do Turbo Fire in between NROLFW workouts but maybe only 3 a week and no HIITs.

And yes, eat more! But I eat a lot and think everyone else should too. I lose at about a half pound a week but it's not linear.
  • yanicka
    Options

For me, I had to put my calories at maintenance and eat 75% of my exercice calories to see big change. I am only 2 weeks in and I can't believe how ''easy'' it is to lose the weight and change my body
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    So how do you know what your maintenance cals are vs weight loss cals? I am still having a hard time figuring out my daily needs. I just finished my second week of the plan and while I am feeling it all over, I don't think I am seeing any results yet.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! I had my third workout, 2nd one of Wkout A, and I haven't stopped shaking and feeling 'pukey' since then. I had a protein shake after workout. I've been approaching this program pretty ambitiously, but it may have been too soon to add weight.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    So how do you know what your maintenance cals are vs weight loss cals? I am still having a hard time figuring out my daily needs. I just finished my second week of the plan and while I am feeling it all over, I don't think I am seeing any results yet.

Trial and error. You can use standard calculations (BMR x Lifestyle modifier), but it's still only a guesstimate... you have to play with it a little. If I remember correctly, the book recommends trying the standard calc number for a month and then evaluating based on measurements, clothes fitting, weight/body fat loss, etc.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! I had my third workout, 2nd one of Wkout A, and I haven't stopped shaking and feeling 'pukey' since then. I had a protein shake after workout. I've been approaching this program pretty ambitiously, but it may have been too soon to add weight.

You may be under-hydrated or working with too little fuel (calories).
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Agreed. You should feel spend but definitely not pukey. To be honest I felt like a bit of a slacker because I started with low weight and have moved up. I've seen people doing WAAAAAY higher weight than I am but since this is my first attempt at serious weight lifting I wanted to be as safe as possible. Hope you feel better soon Baby Girl!!!!
  • yanicka
    Options

I just put maintenance on MFP. It gave me 1470 calories but the book give me 1670 calories (before exercice both numbers) So I am trying the lowest first. For now it is working so I will keep it there for now.
  • yanicka
    Options

I agree, you might need more fuel and be sure to really be hydrated before the workout.
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    Thanks all! :) I think you were all right about being under-hydrated. I've been drinking water and feeling a lot better, so thank you for your input! I've actually been eating over the suggested calories *embarrassed face* lol, but I've been so damn hungry! lol
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I found that drinking either a Smart Water or Powerade Zero helps on days that I lift because I sweat SO much when I'm lifting. Part of that is probably because I'm in the garage and it's warmer there than the rest of the house. But it definitely makes a difference when I replace lost electrolytes.

My best friend, who started the program with me, just scored us some really cheap memberships to Gold's Gym. I guess they have a designated "Women Only" lifting room. Does anyone else lift in a women's only area?? What are you thoughts on it?
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    My best friend, who started the program with me, just scored us some really cheap memberships to Gold's Gym. I guess they have a designated "Women Only" lifting room. Does anyone else lift in a women's only area?? What are you thoughts on it?

I'm a member at Gold's Gym and the women's area is awesome, but they don't have everything you need there. At least at my gym they don't.

Anything that involves a barbell, I do over on the main weights floor, that and the seated row and lat pulldown. (the cable machines) After that, I head to the women's area to do the flashy movement stuff, lol, like the step up and anything with the stability ball. I like having the flexibility in doing what I'm comfortable with. Hope you like your gym!