New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I've been seeing this thread floating around for a while - I've owned the book for a while too and read through it, but because I already had a fairly structured weight lifting regimen, I just never started the program....until last week! I'm loving it so far. I did my 2nd workout, of workout A of Phase 1 today.

I actually thought the first workout I did (workout A, phase 1) felt too easy, even though my weight was pretty decent, but I was a little sore the next day, so I was happy about that. I increased today and it was harder and a great burn!

I'm not accustomed to 15 reps - my typical reps on my own schedule have been around 6-8, so 15 reps is tough, especially with 95 lb squats!

Anyway - thanks for keeping this thread up - the information I've read so far is great. Great job ladies!

PS - some old guy at the gym this morning complimented me on my "big guns". :laugh:

95lb squats! You go!! I can't wait until I can squat that much and more. Today was 35 and those last 2 reps were hard.

I bet with this program, you'll increase your squat weight pretty quickly. It will be so nice when you get to 45 and you can just do the bar! How are you squatting now?

I've been squatting for about 2 months now and before that I did some very heavy lower body work-outs, so I'm pretty conditioned going in. I was also wondering about that. I have no trouble with 2 sets of 15 push-ups and the jackknifes are really easy for me. I'm wondering if I should increase already? I have to think they wrote the book for all levels of fitness. Thoughts?

If I were just starting NROLFW today I wouldn't do Stage 1. If you're that advanced I can't see the point of doing 15 reps of 95lb squats...move on to a harder stage, probably 3.

I've been thinking the same thing, actually. I might just still do each stage, but cut them down to 2-3 workouts a piece instead of the 6 (or whatever it is, can't remember right now).

Sounds like a good plan.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    So how do you know what your maintenance cals are vs weight loss cals? I am still having a hard time figuring out my daily needs. I just finished my second week of the plan and while I am feeling it all over, I don't think I am seeing any results yet.

I just put maintenance on MFP. It gave me 1470 calories but the book give me 1670 calories (before exercice both numbers) So I am trying the lowest first. For now it is working so I will keep it there for now.

Do you do 1470 on days you workout or don't? For this program I think that's a little low...I would add your exercise cals on top of it. You need (extra) nutrition to build muscle which in turn will help burn fat! Fuel up!

Edited: I followed the calorie structure in the book. My maintenance is 1850 without workouts, approx. 2000 with.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    According to the calculations in the book my maintenance is 1105(resting metabolic rate). The no workout number is 1547 and the workout day number is 1768. I had bumped up my daily MFP goal to 1350 to be on the "safe" side. I guess I am afraid to eat 15-1700 cals a day for fear of putting on weight.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    According to the calculations in the book my maintenance is 1105(resting metabolic rate). The no workout number is 1547 and the workout day number is 1768. I had bumped up my daily MFP goal to 1350 to be on the "safe" side. I guess I am afraid to eat 15-1700 cals a day for fear of putting on weight.

Your RMR is NOT your maintenance. It is what you burn if you never get out of bed. (It's essentially BMR but with a more realistic methodology). If the book is giving you 1547 for non-workout days... THAT is your non-exercise maintenance.

edit to add... currently on maintenance calories for hormonal reasons, but in weight "loss" mode, I've been eating 1600-2000 cals per day (varying with exercise).
  • idauria
    Options

Your RMR is NOT your maintenance. It is what you burn if you never get out of bed. (It's essentially BMR but with a more realistic methodology). If the book is giving you 1547 for non-workout days... THAT is your non-exercise maintenance.

Thank you!!! That's what I wanted to know!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So how do you know what your maintenance cals are vs weight loss cals? I am still having a hard time figuring out my daily needs. I just finished my second week of the plan and while I am feeling it all over, I don't think I am seeing any results yet.

I just put maintenance on MFP. It gave me 1470 calories but the book give me 1670 calories (before exercice both numbers) So I am trying the lowest first. For now it is working so I will keep it there for now.

Do you do 1470 on days you workout or don't? For this program I think that's a little low...I would add your exercise cals on top of it. You need (extra) nutrition to build muscle which in turn will help burn fat! Fuel up!

Edited: I followed the calorie structure in the book. My maintenance is 1850 without workouts, approx. 2000 with.

Yes I also eat my exercices calories. So in reality I eat between 1650 and 1850 calories a day when I exercice.
  • yanicka
    Options
    Results are in after 2 weeks of lifting.

Weight more or less the same. it vary between 126 and 123.8 pounds.

3.25 inches lost with 7 mesurements all over my body. Half an inch at my hips, one inch lost at my calves, one more at my bicep ( yay for shrinking batwings) and half an inch at my belly button.
  • idauria
    Options

3.25 inches lost with 7 mesurements all over my body. Half an inch at my hips, one inch lost at my calves, one more at my bicep ( yay for shrinking batwings) and half an inch at my belly button.

That's great progress! I wish I had something good to report. I weighed myself this morning and the scale is the same. My measurements are the same as they were in June. I am trying my best to eat well with some hiccups. I burned a measly 207 cals doing 30 mins on the elliptical this morning, doing mostly intervals. I don't know how people burn 300 or more.
  • yanicka
    Options

That's great progress! I wish I had something good to report. I weighed myself this morning and the scale is the same. My measurements are the same as they were in June. I am trying my best to eat well with some hiccups. I burned a measly 207 cals doing 30 mins on the elliptical this morning, doing mostly intervals. I don't know how people burn 300 or more.

I know the feeling. A barely burn 300 calories by runnung 45 minutes. That being said, you are already tiny!!!! I have 27% body fat!!! that is where my results come from. Frankly, I am pretty much only doing cardio once a week. I go run a 5k and that is pretty much it. Cardio made me lose muscle mass.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

That's wonderful!! Nice work -
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Have you tried spinning? I could never get on board with the elliptical because I'd get such a better burn running and cycling. I can burn over 700 calories in a high intensity spin class (45-50 min) and burn an average of 300 calories in about 15-20 minutes of running hill sprints.
  • idauria
    Options

Have you tried spinning? I could never get on board with the elliptical because I'd get such a better burn running and cycling. I can burn over 700 calories in a high intensity spin class (45-50 min) and burn an average of 300 calories in about 15-20 minutes of running hill sprints.

Never tried spinning. I don't think I'd like it. Besides I work out at home and the elliptical is all I have.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    bump
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you guys get all your protein. I'm ALWAYS short. I'm trying to do 40/30/30, but having lots of trouble.

I recently added protein powder (mainly in shakes and I even put some in my pancakes this weekend) but I'm still short by around 40g each day. And I usually don't have left over calories to even make up the protein shortage.

I eat eggs, chicken, salmon, greek yogurt, nuts, and cashew/almond/peanut butters all the time.

How do you guys do it??????? Need advice.
  • yanicka
    Options
    I have the same problem. I might start cooking chiken breast and use that for snack
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it??????? Need advice.

Feel free to look at my diary if you'd like. I have a few days with low protein but usually I'm close to, or even over, my goal.

edit to add... I didn't log between 09/1 and 09/08 so those are blank.
  • idauria
    Options
    Protein powder is a big help for me. Other than that, I'll eat canned chicken or deli chicken/turkey for lunch. I'll eat chicken or other meat for dinner. I eat either peanut butter or almond butter daily. I don't always hit my protein goals but I try to make it my focus for each meal.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Black beans, lentils and quinoa can be good sources of protein also.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Gah, how did I miss this rollover?

Bumping to put in My Topics.

Today is Workout B7, Level 1, after this week, I'll have the AMRAP workouts and then onto Level 2! I'll probably take a week off weights like the book suggests, and focus on cardio. Since upping the sets to 3, even with the lower reps, I haven't had time to do 20 minutes of cardio along with lifting like I did at the beginning of Level 1. Probably because I do practice sets with 50-75% of the weights first, which adds another minute for the exercise, then another minute of rest. Resting is the hardest part!

Oh yeah, and add me to the group who believe in the power of more calories! Finally got the scale moving when I put my base at 1600, 1800 or so when I workout.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ack - also got lost in the rollover.

Yes, eat more - good. I am still playing with my numbers, but I want to eat as much as possible. After all, at some point I might hit a plateau or something and need to increase my deficit, so it would be nice to have somewhere to go.