New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    RE: the Prone Jack Knife. I was such a dork the first time I tried it. :laugh: The trainer at the gym must have felt sorry for me. She came over me and gave me some tips for getting on the ball. Once I got the hang of it, I actually really liked doing them. Let me know if you'd like to hear the tip she showed me.

Totally interested in the tip, by the way. :)

Here you go... idauria explains it really well....
    For the jackknifes I lay on the ball on my stomach and I roll forward until the ball is at my feet. I find getting off harder than getting on. I almost fell on my face the other day!
    I couldn't believe how easy it was once the trainer showed me. I'm sure I still look like a dork at they gym, but at least I kinda sorta know what I'm doing now. :laugh:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo, for once I actually know what I am doing! LOL. My ball was actually a little low on air so we filled it up nice and firm. I have a feeling it's going to be a little harder getting on now!
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ladies, just want to chime in here. I have been living and breathing the NROL4W since July 4 and have made some fun strength gains, while trying not to freak out about how much I'm eating and the pounds I've gained. Granted, I was too thin (skinny fat) before from years of low calorie eating and runningrunningrunning, so...I keep telling myself it's all good. And it is!

42 years old, 5'4", 113 now. I just finished Stage 2 today and am excited to move on...did not like Stage 2 much at all - holy LONG workouts. :)

I too am wondering what is the point of the lateral flexion? I do the "full" version and...always felt like I was missing something?

This is a great forum.
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OH, and I'm doing the Bod Pod on Thursday, to find out what my body fat percentage and RMR are...has anyone done this? I'm looking forward to getting some hard numbers vs. trying to figure stuff out on my own.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I too am wondering what is the point of the lateral flexion? I do the "full" version and...always felt like I was missing something?

My husband and I are currently doing Stage 2. We did our lateral flexions on the swiss ball and doubled the number the first round, because they felt so easy. Last round... we held 12 lb dumbells on our side (boob level on me) and it made a world of difference in the amount of effort it took.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    So, I still haven't caught up on all of the posts from here or part 1, but plan on reading them fully to see what input all you ladies have. :)

I finally finished the book, had a personal training session on using the free weights in my gym, and did my first workout yesterday.

It was a great workout!!! I struggle so bad with my form on squats, but one of my friends here on MFP suggested doing the squats with just a broomstick at home to practice form. I'm gonna give it a try in just a bit.

I have been most surprised by how immediate my calorie needs have been!!! I've been SO hungry since my workout yesterday and I have had over a 500 calorie increase per day, on lifting days! I was very afraid of increasing these calories this much, but I can see how I will need them. My hunger has been through the roof!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I have been most surprised by how immediate my calorie needs have been!!! I've been SO hungry since my workout yesterday and I have had over a 500 calorie increase per day, on lifting days! I was very afraid of increasing these calories this much, but I can see how I will need them. My hunger has been through the roof!!

Yep - I totally agree. I was amazed at my appetite, but I kind of enjoyed it. :tongue: I really felt like I was fueling a machine. :laugh: The last two weeks, I've slowed down a bit and haven't been working out while I do PT. I was amazed (and a little sad) that my appetite slowed down too.
  • idauria
    Options
    Just completed day 3, workout A, Level 1. I have been increasing weight each time, and I am really feeling it today! The step ups kill me the most, but I think part of if not most of that is from holding the weights. My arms hurt. Not feeling the cardio today so I skipped it. I did cardio yesterday and Monday post workout. I think my legs are too sore to get on the elliptical. I ate badly over the weekend so I am being more careful this week. I'm trying to eat as clean as possible.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I've been seeing this thread floating around for a while - I've owned the book for a while too and read through it, but because I already had a fairly structured weight lifting regimen, I just never started the program....until last week! I'm loving it so far. I did my 2nd workout, of workout A of Phase 1 today.

I actually thought the first workout I did (workout A, phase 1) felt too easy, even though my weight was pretty decent, but I was a little sore the next day, so I was happy about that. I increased today and it was harder and a great burn!

I'm not accustomed to 15 reps - my typical reps on my own schedule have been around 6-8, so 15 reps is tough, especially with 95 lb squats!

Anyway - thanks for keeping this thread up - the information I've read so far is great. Great job ladies!

PS - some old guy at the gym this morning complimented me on my "big guns". :laugh:
  • TluvK
    Options
    Forgot to ask - do you all do the AMRAP bonus workouts? I think it's my favorite part!
  • idauria
    Options
    Hi All - I've been seeing this thread floating around for a while - I've owned the book for a while too and read through it, but because I already had a fairly structured weight lifting regimen, I just never started the program....until last week! I'm loving it so far. I did my 2nd workout, of workout A of Phase 1 today.

I actually thought the first workout I did (workout A, phase 1) felt too easy, even though my weight was pretty decent, but I was a little sore the next day, so I was happy about that. I increased today and it was harder and a great burn!

I'm not accustomed to 15 reps - my typical reps on my own schedule have been around 6-8, so 15 reps is tough, especially with 95 lb squats!

Anyway - thanks for keeping this thread up - the information I've read so far is great. Great job ladies!

PS - some old guy at the gym this morning complimented me on my "big guns". :laugh:

95lb squats! You go!! I can't wait until I can squat that much and more. Today was 35 and those last 2 reps were hard.
  • TluvK
    Options

95lb squats! You go!! I can't wait until I can squat that much and more. Today was 35 and those last 2 reps were hard.

I bet with this program, you'll increase your squat weight pretty quickly. It will be so nice when you get to 45 and you can just do the bar! How are you squatting now?

I've been squatting for about 2 months now and before that I did some very heavy lower body work-outs, so I'm pretty conditioned going in. I was also wondering about that. I have no trouble with 2 sets of 15 push-ups and the jackknifes are really easy for me. I'm wondering if I should increase already? I have to think they wrote the book for all levels of fitness. Thoughts?
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am almost at the 100 lb. mark for my squats. Actually if I was doing 1 rep max stuff, I'm sure I would be there. I should say, I am almost at the point where I can do 100 lb. back squats for 6 reps. Woohoo! My goal is to get in the 120s and then I'll be squatting as much as I weigh. A double victory!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi, TluvK! I would go ahead and do the harder variations on the pushups and jacknives for sure. That's why they are in the book, eh?
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Forgot to ask - do you all do the AMRAP bonus workouts? I think it's my favorite part!

I'll be doing these next week. My question is to I do them with the weights that I'm currently at or the weights that I started with at the beginning of the program?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I'll be doing these next week. My question is to I do them with the weights that I'm currently at or the weights that I started with at the beginning of the program?

The weights you started with. The idea is to show you how far you have progressed.
  • TluvK
    Options
    Hi, TluvK! I would go ahead and do the harder variations on the pushups and jacknives for sure. That's why they are in the book, eh?

Hi there - okay, now I'm confused. I must have missed something. I actually borrowed the book from the trainer at the gym and just made copies of the workouts. Can you tell me what the harder versions are off the top of your head?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

I bet with this program, you'll increase your squat weight pretty quickly. It will be so nice when you get to 45 and you can just do the bar! How are you squatting now?

I've been squatting for about 2 months now and before that I did some very heavy lower body work-outs, so I'm pretty conditioned going in. I was also wondering about that. I have no trouble with 2 sets of 15 push-ups and the jackknifes are really easy for me. I'm wondering if I should increase already? I have to think they wrote the book for all levels of fitness. Thoughts?

If I were just starting NROLFW today I wouldn't do Stage 1. If you're that advanced I can't see the point of doing 15 reps of 95lb squats...move on to a harder stage, probably 3.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options

The weights you started with. The idea is to show you how far you have progressed.

That's what I thought but that almost doesn't even seem like a challenge at this point. I guess that's a good sign that the program is working!
  • idauria
    Options

I don't have a problem with the pushups either. I can do two sets of 20. I was wondering though why the book has you decreasing your reps on the pushups. Are you supposed to do harder variations once the reps decrease?