New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Ok now I have a question about interval training. Is it better to do 15 mins of intervals(on the elliptical) or 30 mins of steady state on off days? I just did the first interval training example found in the book on my elliptical for 15 mins and burned about 115 cals. I know the point of interval training is that you can have a shorter workout, no? So my real question is application - should I alternate intensity every minute or so or stay at let's say level 2 and just go for 30 sec-1 min bursts? I just want to know what's more effective! Sorry if it seems that I am rambling here, sometimes it's hard to write down what's in my head.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Here's what I do:

5 minute warm up moderate intensity

1 minute high intensity
    2 minute moderate intensity
    repeat intervals 4-5 times

5 minute cool down
  • idauria
    Is increasing resistance considered increasing intensity? Technically I go slower but that's because it's so much harder, yet I do push myself as hard and fast as I can. This morning I did 3 mins on level 1 and 2 mins on level 2 for warm up. Then alternated between 1 minute on level 4 and 2 mins on level 1 for 15 mins. This is right out of the book where he uses an exercise bike as an example.
  • neela31
    I bump up resistance and speed. I go all out during my high intensity interval to the point of not making it a full minute at times.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Ok I did my first workout today and I have a question.

When I did the step, I used 2 x 20 pounds. I barely felt it in my leg but my hands were killing me. Do I just have to do my best until I have stronger hands?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member

When I did the step, I used 2 x 20 pounds. I barely felt it in my leg but my hands were killing me. Do I just have to do my best until I have stronger hands?

Grip strength is definitely important. Do you have a higher step you could use to challenge your legs while your hands catch up?
  • yanicka

Grip strength is definitely important. Do you have a higher step you could use to challenge your legs while your hands catch up?

Thank you, yes I can do that. Also, when I log stranght training in MFP, I get something like 70 calories. Is that normal? Since go to the gym on my lunch break, I barely have an hour for everything so my best solution is to do stranght training 3 times a week and cardio on different days 2 times a week. The resutls are that my calorie burn is really low.
  • baisleac
    Weight training calorie burns are generally lower than cardio.. unless it's a combo program (like circuit training). My weight day burns are usually half of my cardio day burns, but it varies from person to person.
  • idauria
    I bump up resistance and speed. I go all out during my high intensity interval to the point of not making it a full minute at times.

Thank you for your input! This is what I will do.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    I also found that my calorie burn was much lower than my cardio burn during the first part of Phase 1. Now that I'm pushing myself with high weights I've noticed that my burn is higher.
  • idauria
    Ugh, I had a really bad eating day today. I'm pretty sure I'm over my limits. I feel guilty but it means I will push myself that much harder tomorrow and make sure to do cardio too.
  • yanicka
    A quick question.

In your opinion, What do you think is more important, hitting the target for proteins or for calories?
  • baisleac
    A quick question.

In your opinion, What do you think is more important, hitting the target for proteins or for calories?

My opinion - calories. It doesn't matter how much protein you eat, if you're not getting enough calories you will not build muscle.
  • idauria
    Day 2 down! My hams and glutes are already sore! I even managed to do some cardio too. I have to eat better today though. I don't know why it's so hard to be disciplined some days.
  • yanicka
    Ouch

LOL I hurt a bit but I was still able to do a relax 4k run. I also bump my calories to maintenance ( in the opinion of MFP) 1470 calories a day and eat 50-75% of my exercice calories (as estimated by MFP). I am up 0.2 pound this morning ;)
  • neela31
    Day 2 down! My hams and glutes are already sore! I even managed to do some cardio too. I have to eat better today though. I don't know why it's so hard to be disciplined some days.

My problem is food too. I usually don't have a problem getting my exercise (assuming I have time), but food is a completely different story.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Just buzzing by for a quick check-in. I'm having some real-life medical mystery *kitten* go down in my house so I've been trying to maintain any semblance of normalcy in my regular daily routine. For me that means hitting the gym when they open their doors at 5:30 and chugging along with the program. I am still loving Stage 7 and I'm grateful that I get to do it again (and maybe *again!*) when I am feeling really truly 100 percent. I have learned that after rocking the low reps, high weights that it's a real trip to go back to high reps and have to substantially...gasp....lower the weight. I've noticed that I'm getting an amazing burn from it which I suppose is the point of it being the final "cut".

NROLFW has sparked something in me. I'm even looking up powerlifting organizations in my area and doing things like pricing weightlifting shoes and singlets! Crazy! Wonderful!!
  • yanicka
    kensky I hope thing will calm down soon.

I am up another 0.6 pound this morning..... I am trying really hard not to freak out.
  • idauria
    Kensky, I hope everything will be ok. But kudos for still making time for the gym!
  • idauria
    So day 3 today, Stage 1, workout A. I am not sore at all from the previous two workouts so I have to go up in weight today and see how I do. I am definitely feeling it while I am doing the exercises, but I am not feeling the after burn yet. I want to know that I am doing something to my body, kwim?