New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Question regarding Stage 2 Workout B (Pg. 144):

When doing "bulgarian split squats" and "reverse lunge from box with forward reach" are you doing 10 reps with each leg and count it as 1 set? So you end up doing 20 reps with each leg?

Thanks!
    I did 10 each leg and then when it got to the third set, I switched at 5. Then during AMRAPS, I switched at 30 sec.

EDIT: to clarify, I did 10 on one leg = 1 set. Then, the 10 on other leg = 1 set. Then for the third set, I did half and half of 10.
    We must be talking about different stages/workouts. I'm referring to Stage 2 Workout B as shown on Pg. 144. The workout calls for 2 sets of 10 reps.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just bought a small container of greek yogurt and will be trying this concoction soon. I'll let you know what I think!

Oh good! I find that the brand makes a difference. What did you get? I like the plain, non fat Chobani or Fage

I bought the non fat plain Chobani. I have tried it before and did not like it at all. It was pretty tart. No on another thread people were discussing the various brands of greek yogurt and some said that the Fage isn't as tart. However when I tried it I didn't care for it either. I have a pretty big sweet tooth so I think my idea of sweet/tart might be different than others.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Question regarding Stage 2 Workout B (Pg. 144): Workout calls for 2 sets of 10 reps:

When doing "bulgarian split squats" and "reverse lunge from box with forward reach" are you doing 10 reps with each leg and count it as 1 set? So you end up doing 20 reps with each leg?

Thanks!

I did 10 each legs for 1 set
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Question regarding Stage 2 Workout B (Pg. 144):

Thanks!
    I did 10 each leg and then when it got to the third set, I switched at 5. Then during AMRAPS, I switched at 30 sec.

EDIT: to clarify, I did 10 on one leg = 1 set. Then, the 10 on other leg = 1 set. Then for the third set, I did half and half of 10.
    We must be talking about different stages/workouts. I'm referring to Stage 2 Workout B as shown on Pg. 144. The workout calls for 2 sets of 10 reps.

Oh - oops. My worksheets must be off. I've been doing 3 sets of 10.
  • idauria
    Options
    Question regarding Stage 2 Workout B (Pg. 144): Workout calls for 2 sets of 10 reps:

Thanks!

I do 10 reps with each leg. The book says to complete all reps with one leg and then switch legs. So you are doing 20 total, but 10 each leg. So you do end up doing 20 total each leg since you have to do 2 sets.
  • idauria
    Options
    I am SO SORE today.

Did Workout A of Stage 3 yesterday and omg. You wouldn't think holding a 5 POUND! dumbbell overhead while squatting is hard, but it is! I tried a 10 lb. at first and immediately switched to a five. It really engages your core - to keep your balance.

Definitely need to up my weights on the bench press and rows - I tend to start out with lower weights until I get the hang of the exercise but I know I can lift more and will increase next time.

The body weight matrix was a joy...okay, not really but I got through it and was happy when it was over!

The workout took about 75 minutes and that was with resting 60 seconds between lifts - I just couldn't rest more than that and complete a workout on my (extended) lunch break. As it is, I'll be working extra this week to make up the time. I hate it, but there are some weeks I can workout after work and have all the time in the world and some weeks I can't, and this is a week I can't. So, do what ya gotta do, right?!?

I'm conflicted - I love having the weight room pretty much to myself (a stray guy here and there) but I also wish the girls on the cardio machines would start lifting. I feel conspicuous! But I don't (and won't) let it stop me.

Eh, don't worry about the girls on the cardio machines. They don't know what they're missing by not lifting weights! I am sure you will look ten times better than them when you're done with this program!

I'm in the middle of stage 2. My legs are feeling it big time today. Though I keep thinking that I should be using heavier weights. However I really don't think I'd be able to do the bulgarian split squat with anything heavier than 15 db's right now. I am still having a hard time getting just the olympic barbell over my head for the squat push presses. So I won't be increasing there anytime soon. Good thing there are tons of leg exercises because my legs aren't really benefiting from those.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Oops! Should've read ahead, asked and answered. :o)
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am SO SORE today.

Did Workout A of Stage 3 yesterday and omg. You wouldn't think holding a 5 POUND! dumbbell overhead while squatting is hard, but it is! I tried a 10 lb. at first and immediately switched to a five. It really engages your core - to keep your balance.

Definitely need to up my weights on the bench press and rows - I tend to start out with lower weights until I get the hang of the exercise but I know I can lift more and will increase next time.

The body weight matrix was a joy...okay, not really but I got through it and was happy when it was over!

The workout took about 75 minutes and that was with resting 60 seconds between lifts - I just couldn't rest more than that and complete a workout on my (extended) lunch break. As it is, I'll be working extra this week to make up the time. I hate it, but there are some weeks I can workout after work and have all the time in the world and some weeks I can't, and this is a week I can't. So, do what ya gotta do, right?!?

I'm conflicted - I love having the weight room pretty much to myself (a stray guy here and there) but I also wish the girls on the cardio machines would start lifting. I feel conspicuous! But I don't (and won't) let it stop me.

I thought the same thing about those squats!!! By the time I get done with one set my heart rate is kicked into high gear. I have a love/hate relationship with the Body Weight Matrix. It kicks my butt every time but I find myself pushing harder and harder to get a better time than before. I'll be curious to see the difference between the first time I completed it and the last time I complete it.
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options
    I just bought a small container of greek yogurt and will be trying this concoction soon. I'll let you know what I think!

Oikos actually sells Frozen Greek Yogurt. They have blueberry, chocolate, honey and vanilla flavors. I haven't tried it but I'm curious to see how yours turns out.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Eh, don't worry about the girls on the cardio machines. They don't know what they're missing by not lifting weights! I am sure you will look ten times better than them when you're done with this program!

I'm in the middle of stage 2. My legs are feeling it big time today. Though I keep thinking that I should be using heavier weights. However I really don't think I'd be able to do the bulgarian split squat with anything heavier than 15 db's right now. I am still having a hard time getting just the olympic barbell over my head for the squat push presses. So I won't be increasing there anytime soon. Good thing there are tons of leg exercises because my legs aren't really benefiting from those.

Stage 2 is great for the legs. I have a V on the front of my shin now that wasn't there before Stage 2!

And the squat push presses get easier with every workout. The last workout I did, I managed to do 55 lbs! It wasn't easy, but doable.

I'm not "worried" about the women on the cardio machines, just wish I had more female company in the weights area! :o)
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I thought the same thing about those squats!!! By the time I get done with one set my heart rate is kicked into high gear. I have a love/hate relationship with the Body Weight Matrix. It kicks my butt every time but I find myself pushing harder and harder to get a better time than before. I'll be curious to see the difference between the first time I completed it and the last time I complete it.

Resting after the body weight matrix was the ONE time I didn't mind resting! I could have doubled the rest time! hahaha!
  • TluvK
    Options

Resting after the body weight matrix was the ONE time I didn't mind resting! I could have doubled the rest time! hahaha!

Getting a little worried to start stage 3 in a week or so! I'm worried about this matrix business but also really worried and a tad frustrated that it sounds like I am going to have to rush the workout, as the gym daycare only runs in 1 hour increments. Should I bite the bullet and pay for 2 hours? (it's $3/hr. - not a huge deal, but I feel a little bad for my kid being in there for two hours).
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I would, just so you wouldn't be rushed. The body weight matrix doesn't take that much time, maybe 12-15 minutes total, but 105 seconds of rest time between three sets of 7 exercises for Workout A and 9 exercises for Workout B adds up!
  • idauria
    Options

Stage 2 is great for the legs. I have a V on the front of my shin now that wasn't there before Stage 2!

And the squat push presses get easier with every workout. The last workout I did, I managed to do 55 lbs! It wasn't easy, but doable.

I'm not "worried" about the women on the cardio machines, just wish I had more female company in the weights area! :o)

I knew you weren't worried. It was poor choice of words on my part. I just wanted to say that it's their loss for not adding weights to their routines! When I first started going to a gym years ago when I first got married(I was only 24 years old at the time) I was intimidated by all the muscle heads in there. But I just kept on going, doing my thing. I grew more comfortable the more I went and after time I didn't even notice them. I don't think they really gave me a second glance either. The more you go the more confident you become.

Yes, killer is the word I would use to describe stage 2 for the legs! My butt and hams are so tight. I am constantly stretching them. Oh, and I am not even doing the intervals after workout b. My legs are just too sore and tired. Instead I am trying to do cardio on my non lifting days. I did 25 mins on the elliptical this morning and most of that was intervals. But I have realized that I hate cardio and would much rather lift weights!
  • TluvK
    Options
    I would, just so you wouldn't be rushed. The body weight matrix doesn't take that much time, maybe 12-15 minutes total, but 105 seconds of rest time between three sets of 7 exercises for Workout A and 9 exercises for Workout B adds up!

Okay. You know, I HATE being rushed in the gym. It's not like I like to roam around and hang out, but I really hate when I'm pushing it really hard and don't feel like I have the time to rest between sets.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Oh, and I am not even doing the intervals after workout b. My legs are just too sore and tired. Instead I am trying to do cardio on my non lifting days. I did 25 mins on the elliptical this morning and most of that was intervals. But I have realized that I hate cardio and would much rather lift weights!

I didn't do the cardio after lifting either, because of lunch hour time constraints. Just did intervals on non-lifting days. I agree - I'd rather lift than do cardio - any day! I like feeling strong!
  • AnaNotBanana
    Options

Exactly! I'm finding that I have a really hard time waiting almost two minutes between sets. Each time I've done the workout I just wait long enough for my heart rate to slow down then I do my next set.
  • idauria
    Options
    Oh, and I am not even doing the intervals after workout b. My legs are just too sore and tired. Instead I am trying to do cardio on my non lifting days. I did 25 mins on the elliptical this morning and most of that was intervals. But I have realized that I hate cardio and would much rather lift weights!

I didn't do the cardio after lifting either, because of lunch hour time constraints. Just did intervals on non-lifting days. I agree - I'd rather lift than do cardio - any day! I like feeling strong!

Ditto!
  • idauria
    Options
    I hope I can workout tomorrow. All of a sudden today my left calf is killing me. It started out sore this morning but since I did the elliptical it's hurting a lot. It's not just my calf either, it goes into my foot too. I'm limping. It's so achy. I keep massaging and stretching it but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Bump - need to catch up on the new thread!