New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight today. Thanks NROLFW! :flowerforyou:

That's so awesome!!! Way to go, Kensky!!! You're an inspiration and I'm looking forward to reading about your success with Starting Strength!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Did anybody else gain weight during their week off between stage 1 and 2? I track my weight daily, going by weekly and monthly averages, and this past week off has me climbing back up, even though I dropped my calories down because I wouldn't be working as hard this week. It's frustrating and I don't understand why. A day or two could be water retention or something like that, but this is hanging on.

On that note - has anybody found the New Rules conducive to weight loss? I've really enjoyed the workouts and enjoy feeling strong, but I'm here because I have fat to lose. Any weight training I do can only maintain what muscle I already have since I have to eat at a deficit.I'm just wondering if the program is counterproductive to my goals. I'd love to hear from people who have lost weight while using this program.

Edited to add: I just saw Kensky's post - congratulations! I'd love to know how you did it!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I gained weight during Stage 1-like 3lbs. I hope to maintain during the week off between stage 1 and stage 2 and hope to drop some lbs during stage 2.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I actually lost a little weight, but I think that has more to do with my cutting out sugars and most carbs.
  • idauria
    Options
    So for breakfast this morning I had chobani non fat plain yogurt with 1 tbs of natural peanut butter. I actually liked it. I also added a packet of Stevia but I am not sure it needed it. I'll try without it next time to see if I notice a difference. The peanut butter flavor is assertive enough to mask a lot of the tanginess of the yogurt. Thanks for the suggestion! I now have one more snack in my rotation!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Did anybody else gain weight during their week off between stage 1 and 2? I track my weight daily, going by weekly and monthly averages, and this past week off has me climbing back up, even though I dropped my calories down because I wouldn't be working as hard this week. It's frustrating and I don't understand why. A day or two could be water retention or something like that, but this is hanging on.

On that note - has anybody found the New Rules conducive to weight loss? I've really enjoyed the workouts and enjoy feeling strong, but I'm here because I have fat to lose. Any weight training I do can only maintain what muscle I already have since I have to eat at a deficit.I'm just wondering if the program is counterproductive to my goals. I'd love to hear from people who have lost weight while using this program.

Edited to add: I just saw Kensky's post - congratulations! I'd love to know how you did it!

I've been losing - mostly fat I expect, but the scale is dropping too. I don't have a ton more to lose - maybe 10-15 pounds till I'm changing to maintenance. But I'm mostly only doing NROLFW on Tuesdays and Thursdays (I've had trouble getting in my 3rd workout, so it's taking me longer to get through the phases). I do an aerobic class later in the day both of those two days (I do push hard in it) and then I do some kind of cardio (either running, the elliptical or a DVD) at least one other day each week. Usually on Wed and Fridays I'm far too depleted from my lifting days to do anything - but I know my body is burning calories to re-build - which I think is the point!

I'll tell you when I really started seeing the biggest changes though (at least since I've started lifting) - when I started to "clean up" my diet. I've been trying to avoid simple carbs (even so called "light" whole wheat breads), sugars, overly processed foods and all artifical sugars. I've been instead eating complex carbs along with a lean protein - smaller more frequent meals (I try anyway - life doesn't always allow this) and balancing cals out through the day (not calorie heavy at night) - and my weight (and fat) seems to be melting off now. Which is great seeings that I'm so close to my goal with not as much to lose. It's really exciting!!
  • tolygal
    Options
    So for breakfast this morning I had chobani non fat plain yogurt with 1 tbs of natural peanut butter. I actually liked it. I also added a packet of Stevia but I am not sure it needed it. I'll try without it next time to see if I notice a difference. The peanut butter flavor is assertive enough to mask a lot of the tanginess of the yogurt. Thanks for the suggestion! I now have one more snack in my rotation!

I'm going to try it. I've found some greek yogurts that I liked, but this time I bought a big tub of the chobani non fat PLAIN yogurt so I could avoid all the sugars, and it's definetly not the same LOL. I do want to like it somehow though because it is so good for you - I'll try adding BP to it and see how that goes. I bought some frozen mixed berries and I thought I'd try to blend them into it to see if that helped too.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I'm going to try it. I've found some greek yogurts that I liked, but this time I bought a big tub of the chobani non fat PLAIN yogurt so I could avoid all the sugars, and it's definetly not the same LOL. I do want to like it somehow though because it is so good for you - I'll try adding BP to it and see how that goes. I bought some frozen mixed berries and I thought I'd try to blend them into it to see if that helped too.

Can you have honey? It's the best with the plain yogurt!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

or maple sirup.....so so good
  • idauria
    Options

Since I am trying not to consume too much sugars I am avoiding honey and maple syrup. Honestly the yogurt was good enough with just the peanut butter. That's saying a lot coming from me since I have an enormous sweet tooth!
  • tolygal
    Options

Since I am trying not to consume too much sugars I am avoiding honey and maple syrup. Honestly the yogurt was good enough with just the peanut butter. That's saying a lot coming from me since I have an enormous sweet tooth!

I think honey is on the clean list, but I'm not 100% - I'm probably wrong. But that agave nectar stuff is on the clean list. Not sure what's the difference. I'll try a little with PB first cuz I really like PB. If all else fails, I might try a little honey ro agave nectar, but just a tiny bit, otherwise it defeats the purpose of buying the plain - I could just get the flavored and have the sugar LOL - I hope I like the PB or else just fresh (well, it's frozen - fresh always goes bad before I get to it) fruit. Crossing my fingers!!
  • shellbell525
    Options
    i recently tried fage 2% plain yogurt, 20g protein and only about 8g sugar. it's really rough though. the first time i tried a bit of granola like i would my regular fruit yogurt but it didn't mask the taste. Today i tried putting in some real fruit juice and that helped a lot. I did cran-apple about 2-3oz was enough to sweeten it up and make it not so thick too. Definitely going to me my go too from now on. To be honest I'm not sure how much sugar it added(I'm sure quite a few) but for an extra 20g of protein I'll take it.
  • idauria
    Options

I think honey is on the clean list, but I'm not 100% - I'm probably wrong. But that agave nectar stuff is on the clean list. Not sure what's the difference. I'll try a little with PB first cuz I really like PB. If all else fails, I might try a little honey ro agave nectar, but just a tiny bit, otherwise it defeats the purpose of buying the plain - I could just get the flavored and have the sugar LOL - I hope I like the PB or else just fresh (well, it's frozen - fresh always goes bad before I get to it) fruit. Crossing my fingers!!

It might be on the clean list but it still has a lot of sugar. That's not to say that a little is bad for you. I just bought agave nectar for the second time. The first time I bought it I hated it. I thought I'd try it again. Nope, still hate it. It tastes nothing like honey or anything else for that matter. Actually it kind of tastes like molasses which I can't stand either. Plus it still has 16g sugar per tbs. That's a lot in my opinion. So I am avoiding all added sweeteners other than stevia once in a while. If I want something sweet I'll eat something with regular sugar. But to each is own. If you like agave, then by all means use it! Supposedly it doesn't affect glucose levels like refined sugars. I don't know.
  • idauria
    Options
    i recently tried fage 2% plain yogurt, 20g protein and only about 8g sugar. it's really rough though. the first time i tried a bit of granola like i would my regular fruit yogurt but it didn't mask the taste. Today i tried putting in some real fruit juice and that helped a lot. I did cran-apple about 2-3oz was enough to sweeten it up and make it not so thick too. Definitely going to me my go too from now on. To be honest I'm not sure how much sugar it added(I'm sure quite a few) but for an extra 20g of protein I'll take it.

Try the peanut butter! Honestly I hated greek yogurt the first time I tried. Peanut butter masks the tang without adding much in the way of sugar or carbs. Plus it adds extra protein. Win win in my book!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have mixed in Greek yogurt- the the powders that you add to water-well, if you are not concerned about fake sweet stuff, protein powder, instant coffee mixes, cereals. I use it instead of salad dressings too-a bit of water, dill and garlic powder, or just salt and pepper. Frozen berries and cereal(Kashi go lean) is it for me right now.
  • idauria
    Options
    I have mixed in Greek yogurt- the the powders that you add to water-well, if you are not concerned about fake sweet stuff, protein powder, instant coffee mixes, cereals. I use it instead of salad dressings too-a bit of water, dill and garlic powder, or just salt and pepper. Frozen berries and cereal(Kashi go lean) is it for me right now.

I never thought to use greek yogurt in savory applications. I guess it's sort of like sour cream. If you thin it out and add some yummy stuff it would probably be a great dip for veggies.
  • shellbell525
    Options
    i wonder how those dry dip mixes would work with it.... hmm might have to try that for thanksgiving this year.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you when I really started seeing the biggest changes though (at least since I've started lifting) - when I started to "clean up" my diet. I've been trying to avoid simple carbs (even so called "light" whole wheat breads), sugars, overly processed foods and all artifical sugars. I've been instead eating complex carbs along with a lean protein - smaller more frequent meals (I try anyway - life doesn't always allow this) and balancing cals out through the day (not calorie heavy at night) - and my weight (and fat) seems to be melting off now. Which is great seeings that I'm so close to my goal with not as much to lose. It's really exciting!!

I eat pretty carefully - six meals a day, 30% protein, balancing complex carbs with protein - but I do have trouble with sugar. If the not-so-good stuff fit within my macro goals I haven't worried about it, but perhaps I'll pay more attention to sugar for a while and see what happens. I'm also trying to stay closer to the calorie goals set forth in the book this week, which is lower than I had been eating for the last few months, and we'll see if that still works when I start stage 2 next week.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I never thought to use greek yogurt in savory applications. I guess it's sort of like sour cream. If you thin it out and add some yummy stuff it would probably be a great dip for veggies.
    I do lemon juice and garlic powder all the time. I've also used a dip mix. I mean, it really is just like sour cream to me.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Fat loss and weight loss are two different things. I've lost very little weight since starting this program. However, I've lost a lot of fat - based on my measurements and the way my clothes fit and pictures. I'm taking pictures at the end of each stage and when I'm done with the program, I'll post them. I can see a difference.

I'm struggling too, over the stupid scale, but I'm trying to keep focused on getting stronger and losing fat. I think diet is really the key to losing fat while on this program, because the workouts DO make you hungrier. I'm considering trying intermittent fasting and seeing what difference that makes, if any, because I can do IF and still do NROLFW. I'm committed to seeing this program through to the end and then, if I'm still unhappy with my body fat percentage/stupid weight on the scale, I'll consider other options (like the Rapid Fat Loss Diet). I don't want to lose my muscle though, or as little as possible.