New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm have an issue sticking to the low numbers on the core exercises. It never feels like enough, am i doing something wrong? Should I add weights or reps to make it more challenging?
    I felt the same way so during Stage 2 core exercises I increased the reps from 10 to 20 and I also did the more challenging versions like weighted Swiss ball crunches. Granted, I was in the gym longer but I felt I needed to do more than the book suggests.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Great thread, and so motivational - I hope to join this group in Mid November (: or sooner. I got the book a while back, and I am waiting until I can get the 'supplies' so I can do it @home. I may have to do some modifications for the pulley exercises....

I already got a spreadsheet set up. (:
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm have an issue sticking to the low numbers on the core exercises. It never feels like enough, am i doing something wrong? Should I add weights or reps to make it more challenging?
    I felt the same way so during Stage 2 core exercises I increased the reps from 10 to 20 and I also did the more challenging versions like weighted Swiss ball crunches. Granted, I was in the gym longer but I felt I needed to do more than the book suggests.
    I do the crunches on SB with weight in my hands, arms overhead-I find this variation to be the most challenging for me.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I do the crunches on SB with weight in my hands, arms overhead-I find this variation to be the most challenging for me.

That's what I've been doing too for the past two workouts. I'm definitely feeling the burn while doing them!
  • bizco
    Options
    I'm starting Stage 3 today and I'm nervous about the new moves, especially Workout A's dumbbell snatch and body matrix. If there are any ladies out there that are currently in Stage 3 could you please send me a friend request? We can share questions and experiences and offer support. Thank you!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've only been able to do 2 days a week lately, and it stinks cuz it takes so long to get through the phases. I've been thinking of joining a gym close to home, but it's so expensive when I would only use it once a week (my regular gym is at my work, which is over an hour from home). I just found out that one of them has a punch card I can do instead of a montly membership!!! It's 10 times for $35!! I think I'm going to do it - this will give me a way to lift 3 days a week again!! I just don't have a good setup a home and so I've given up trying to make it work and just do it at the gym. I'm excited!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I've only been able to do 2 days a week lately, and it stinks cuz it takes so long to get through the phases. I've been thinking of joining a gym close to home, but it's so expensive when I would only use it once a week (my regular gym is at my work, which is over an hour from home). I just found out that one of them has a punch card I can do instead of a montly membership!!! It's 10 times for $35!! I think I'm going to do it - this will give me a way to lift 3 days a week again!! I just don't have a good setup a home and so I've given up trying to make it work and just do it at the gym. I'm excited!!

It's a great idea!!!

I am having trouble with stage 2. In stage one, I was increasing my weight every workout...it was great, in stage 2 I can't manage to increase my weight very much. Maybe I really started too low in stage one but it is a bit depressing not see too huge increase in strenght in stage 2.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

It's a great idea!!!

I am having trouble with stage 2. In stage one, I was increasing my weight every workout...it was great, in stage 2 I can't manage to increase my weight very much. Maybe I really started too low in stage one but it is a bit depressing not see too huge increase in strenght in stage 2.

I didn't increase my weights a lot in stage 2 either, I did two of each workouts before increasing if I remember correctly. The lifts are more complex and I guess I was a little afraid of hurting myself. I'm trying to increase my weights each workout in Stage 3, but there are some where I'm still the same and not sure I'll be upping the weights - but I'm going to try... (YTWL, I'm lookin' at you!).
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Is anybody having a hard time with the 1-point rows in level 2? I find I'm struggling to just maintain my balance, that doing the rows with my piddly 5-pound weights is almost useless. If the point is to build balance, why bother with the weights at all? I'm not seeing the purpose behind this move and I'm afraid I'm going to fall over.

Another probelm: the deadlift from box. My gym only has those plastic aerobic steps to use, and the combination of my body weight and 95 pounds of weights makes that thing bow in the middle in a scary way. I'm afraid I'm going to break the step, which would be humiliating. Is it okay to just do regular deadlifts and maybe just squat a little lower?
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I didn't increase my weights a lot in stage 2 either, I did two of each workouts before increasing if I remember correctly. The lifts are more complex and I guess I was a little afraid of hurting myself. I'm trying to increase my weights each workout in Stage 3, but there are some where I'm still the same and not sure I'll be upping the weights - but I'm going to try... (YTWL, I'm lookin' at you!).

Agreed!! Some of these I've been able to increase a significant amount because I started out low so I could make sure my form was correct and that I wasn't going to hurt myself. On others I haven't been able to increase much. I really underestimated how much the Dumbbell Single Arm Overhead Squat. I started with 5 lbs/10 lbs but doubt I'll get much past the 10 lbs/20 lbs that I'm at now. YTWL is another one that I haven't made a increased my weights significantly. It still manages to kick my butt every time though. The place where I'm seeing the biggest progress is the Body Weight Martrix. I've managed to cut 2 minutes off my time. The first time through it took me 5 minutes now I'm down to 3.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I was hoping that I would find a thread of folks doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and here you are. :smile: I had completed stage 1 over the summer then fell off the wagon. Now I'm ready to start up again next week. (This week is too crazy to start anything new). I'm also running 2 - 3 times a week. I know according to the book that much cardio is unnecessary but I love the sense of accompliment I get as I increase my mileage so I'm going to keep doing it as long as it doesn't become too much. I want to eventually run another half marathon (I have run 2 very slowly). How are you ladies tracking your macronutrients on this site?
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that I would find a thread of folks doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and here you are. :smile: I had completed stage 1 over the summer then fell off the wagon. Now I'm ready to start up again next week. (This week is too crazy to start anything new). I'm also running 2 - 3 times a week. I know according to the book that much cardio is unnecessary but I love the sense of accompliment I get as I increase my mileage so I'm going to keep doing it as long as it doesn't become too much. I want to eventually run another half marathon (I have run 2 very slowly). How are you ladies tracking your macronutrients on this site?

Welcome! Do you think you'll repeat (some or all of) Stage 1, or jump into Stage 2?

I've also been running about the same amount. I was training for a 5k, which was amazing, and I think I got bit by the running bug... I'd like to work up to a 10k next, and maybe a half marathon as a more long-term goal. Not sure if I'll want to do a full marathon ever. I just really love how running feels. Of course, I love how lifting feels, too! Would WAY rather be doing both than just the running, haha.

As for macros, I track protein, carbs, fat, fibre, and sodium. I've set my protein to 25 or 30% (can't remember which at the moment), though admittedly I often struggle to meet that. Protein shakes have helped a lot!
  • idauria
    Options

Welcome! Are you going to repeat stage 1 or jump right into stage 2? I have one more workout in stage 2 this week and will be starting stage 3 next Monday. As far as macronutrients go, I have it set for 30% carbs, 40% protein, and 30% fat. I am trying to eat a low sugar/lowish carb diet.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I need some advice...

I've had an absolutely crazy two weeks, not the least of which was my hubby being out of town, which means with 5 kids the gym wasn't an option. I'm thinking about just starting over on my NROLFW. I was only 6 workouts into it. What do you think? Start over or just pick up where I left off?
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I need some advice...

I've had an absolutely crazy two weeks, not the least of which was my hubby being out of town, which means with 5 kids the gym wasn't an option. I'm thinking about just starting over on my NROLFW. I was only 6 workouts into it. What do you think? Start over or just pick up where I left off?

Honestly... Stage 1 is so long I would probably just pick up where you left off. Maybe repeat the last week of workouts that you did (before your life got crazy for a while). But in the end it's up to you! :)
  • idauria
    Options
    I need some advice...

Just pick up where you left off. I doubt you lost much strength in two weeks. Try to use the same weight or heavier than your last sets. If it's too heavy then drop down a bit and increase again next time.
  • bizco
    Options
    Is anybody having a hard time with the 1-point rows in level 2? I find I'm struggling to just maintain my balance, that doing the rows with my piddly 5-pound weights is almost useless. If the point is to build balance, why bother with the weights at all? I'm not seeing the purpose behind this move and I'm afraid I'm going to fall over.

Another probelm: the deadlift from box. My gym only has those plastic aerobic steps to use, and the combination of my body weight and 95 pounds of weights makes that thing bow in the middle in a scary way. I'm afraid I'm going to break the step, which would be humiliating. Is it okay to just do regular deadlifts and maybe just squat a little lower?
    The point of the exercise goes way beyond building balance. You're working the hamstring of the grounded leg. You're doing a row which when done properly works the back, biceps and shoulders; the more weight you use the greater the benefit assuming your form is good. You're correct that 5 pound weights are useless. One option would be to keep both feet on the ground and do standard bent-over 2-dumbbell rows so you can build up the weight. Then, do the exercise as shown in the book using your light weights.

Is your step platform like the one shown in the book? If so, it's rated to hold up to 300lbs. If your load exceeds this then do regular deadlifts.
  • bizco
    Options
    How are you ladies tracking your macronutrients on this site?
    I have my percentages set to 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat. I'm not worried if I go over on protein on any particular day, 30% is the minimum I need to consume each day. On days I lift, I aim for more protein and less carbs but still keep within my total calories.

In case you don't already know, you can customize your macro percentages (and other stuff) by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes. I highly recommend increasing your fiber to at least 25g and decreasing your sodium to 1800-2100mg. MFP's default macro %s are way off in my opinion; they're geared toward total sedentary lifestyles (i.e. only 15% protein).

Welcome to the group!
  • bizco
    Options
    I need some advice...

If you did 6 total workouts (3 each of Workout A and B) then I would just pick up where you left off. You still have 10 total workouts left which I think is plenty of time to build up your muscle base. Try to increase the weights you use each time, but of course don't sacrafice form to do so. Good luck!