New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• fitrunnermd
    Options
    Considering how long it took me to finish stage 1 I think I will just start at workout 5 from Stage 1 and move on from there. I think it would be too de-motivating to start completely at the beginning again. Since I have been doing my own weight training routine for the past month I think I should be good to pick up from there. I'm psyched to get back on track again. I loved the feeling of getting stronger. Thanks for the info on how to modify my macros.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The point of the exercise goes way beyond building balance. You're working the hamstring of the grounded leg. You're doing a row which when done properly works the back, biceps and shoulders; the more weight you use the greater the benefit assuming your form is good. You're correct that 5 pound weights are useless. One option would be to keep both feet on the ground and do standard bent-over 2-dumbbell rows so you can build up the weight. Then, do the exercise as shown in the book using your light weights.

Is your step platform like the one shown in the book? If so, it's rated to hold up to 300lbs. If your load exceeds this then do regular deadlifts.

I'll just do the standard bent over rows because I'm not getting anything out of the current version other than better stability in the leg. I haven't felt like I was getting much in th way of upper body work on stage 2, and that's probably why. My bench is just like the ones in the books and as I add weight to my deadlifts I will soon end up going over - good to know what the limit is!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The point of the exercise goes way beyond building balance. You're working the hamstring of the grounded leg. You're doing a row which when done properly works the back, biceps and shoulders; the more weight you use the greater the benefit assuming your form is good. You're correct that 5 pound weights are useless. One option would be to keep both feet on the ground and do standard bent-over 2-dumbbell rows so you can build up the weight. Then, do the exercise as shown in the book using your light weights.

Is your step platform like the one shown in the book? If so, it's rated to hold up to 300lbs. If your load exceeds this then do regular deadlifts.

I'll just do the standard bent over rows because I'm not getting anything out of the current version other than better stability in the leg. I haven't felt like I was getting much in th way of upper body work on stage 2, and that's probably why. My bench is just like the ones in the books and as I add weight to my deadlifts I will soon end up going over - good to know what the limit is!

Also, every time you do a balance exercise, you use your core too. I find it much easier to do one point row or single leg RDLs or DL or squats without shoes. I go to a gym so bare feet is out of the question, but if you can be bare feet is the best for balance exercises and DLs and squats so you can engage the glutes and be on your heels.

This week is my rest week between stage 1 and 2. I am so ready for stage 2! May be I'll cut the rest short.:)
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 3 today! I have to say - I LOVED IT! I especially loved the one arm snatch. There is always a surprisingly hard exercise for me and in this stage it was the one armed squat. Anyone else? I started with 25 lbs and did 2 reps and thought, "NO WAY!" I dropped down to 20 and it was really hard. We're supposed to do a parallel squat, right? If so, that's a toughie.

As promised, Body Matrix is TOUGH. But, I was able to complete the first set in 2 min 35 sec and the second set in 2 min 45 sec, so I'm pretty happy about that. I just don't know how much I can improve on that...we'll see.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Just curious... do you ladies carry the book with you while doing the workouts in a gym? I do. Sometimes I feel like a fool but I want to make sure I'm doing the exercises correctly. I didn't carry it with me after doing 4 total workouts in Stage 1 because those were very basic and straightforward exercises. But later stages are only 4 workouts each (A & B) and the exercises are more foreign to me.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 3 today! I have to say - I LOVED IT! I especially loved the one arm snatch. There is always a surprisingly hard exercise for me and in this stage it was the one armed squat. Anyone else? I started with 25 lbs and did 2 reps and thought, "NO WAY!" I dropped down to 20 and it was really hard. We're supposed to do a parallel squat, right? If so, that's a toughie.

As promised, Body Matrix is TOUGH. But, I was able to complete the first set in 2 min 35 sec and the second set in 2 min 45 sec, so I'm pretty happy about that. I just don't know how much I can improve on that...we'll see.

Damn, you are tough! I started the one arm snatch with 15 lbs. and am at 20 lbs. now - struggling big time on the last rep. And after three Workout As, I'm at 3:15 for the body weight matrix, down from 4:00! You kick butt!

I don't even want to KNOW what you bench press! :wink:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just curious... do you ladies carry the book with you while doing the workouts in a gym? I do. Sometimes I feel like a fool but I want to make sure I'm doing the exercises correctly. I didn't carry it with me after doing 4 total workouts in Stage 1 because those were very basic and straightforward exercises. But later stages are only 4 workouts each (A & B) and the exercises are more foreign to me.

i photocopied the pages of the 5 exercises for each of the workouts A and B in stage 1...same thing lol...book is in my car though..
  • elizabethblake
    Options

I don't, I wastefully made copies of the pages with the exercises I felt I needed to reference and carry that with me together with my chart I created in Word to track my workouts.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I've decided that the step-ups are probably my least favorite exercise in Stage 1. I'm wondering if it's because of the 'step' I'm using, though. I have a step aerobics bench with 2 risers/bricks/blocks (whatever you want to call them!) for each end/side. That didn't seem high enough, because I really didn't feel like I was working anything. I started using a kitchen chair several workouts ago and that seems a bit TOO high, but it's definitely a kick my butt kind of workout (especially while holding 22.5 lb dumbbells in each hand!).

Anyway - I'm just wondering what 'step' everyone else is using/has used for their step-ups. Thanks!
  • TluvK
    Options

Damn, you are tough! I started the one arm snatch with 15 lbs. and am at 20 lbs. now - struggling big time on the last rep. And after three Workout As, I'm at 3:15 for the body weight matrix, down from 4:00! You kick butt!

I don't even want to KNOW what you bench press! :wink:

Well, I've been taking a Power Sculpt class for over a year now and that's basically what we do during the whole class, so I'm pretty seasoned. It's still kicked my butt though! I had to walk around for quite a bit to get the feeling back in my quads. I hate that I'm going to have to do better next time though - that's stressing me out! My least favorite is the jumping lunge (we call them cross country's - those always make me wince the day after when I try to go the bathroom :laugh: )

I did 25 lbs on the snatch - that felt GOOOOD, but I was also really struggling on the last rep. In fact, I didn't make it up on my final one, so I had to re-do it. It was the one arm squat that I thought was so hard. Did you find that one hard?

I'm benching 70 lbs with the dumbbells, but I was benching before I started this program at 105. Benching dumbbells feels a lot different though than laying down on a bench - not sure what it is...
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've decided that the step-ups are probably my least favorite exercise in Stage 1. I'm wondering if it's because of the 'step' I'm using, though. I have a step aerobics bench with 2 risers/bricks/blocks (whatever you want to call them!) for each end/side. That didn't seem high enough, because I really didn't feel like I was working anything. I started using a kitchen chair several workouts ago and that seems a bit TOO high, but it's definitely a kick my butt kind of workout (especially while holding 22.5 lb dumbbells in each hand!).

Anyway - I'm just wondering what 'step' everyone else is using/has used for their step-ups. Thanks!

My husband actually made me a step for doing step ups last year when I was doing a different workout routine. I am glad he did because it's getting a lot of use now! It's about a foot high and I can feel the burn in my butt/hams when I step up, especially now that I am up to 65 pounds using the barbell. I can't say they are my favorite exercise, but I don't hate them. I reserve that for lunges. I can do squats all day but the lunges are killing me!
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Well, I've been taking a Power Sculpt class for over a year now and that's basically what we do during the whole class, so I'm pretty seasoned. It's still kicked my butt though! I had to walk around for quite a bit to get the feeling back in my quads. I hate that I'm going to have to do better next time though - that's stressing me out! My least favorite is the jumping lunge (we call them cross country's - those always make me wince the day after when I try to go the bathroom :laugh: )

I did 25 lbs on the snatch - that felt GOOOOD, but I was also really struggling on the last rep. In fact, I didn't make it up on my final one, so I had to re-do it. It was the one arm squat that I thought was so hard. Did you find that one hard?

I'm benching 70 lbs with the dumbbells, but I was benching before I started this program at 105. Benching dumbbells feels a lot different though than laying down on a bench - not sure what it is...

Yep, the one arm squat is really hard, I started with 5/10 and tried to increase to 10/15 today, but I feel it in my back a lot when I do that and I don't want to pull a muscle. I have a history of back problems and I'm probably overly cautious. Next time I'll try the 10/15 again.

I'm not increasing my weights every single time - that's the goal but if I can't do it properly with increased weights, I'm staying put until I can increase without my form suffering.

I'm excited to go back to Stage 2 and see how my strength has increased! Next week!!!

eta: I've only been lifting moderate since March and "heavy" since starting this program in July - definitely still a novice!
  • TluvK
    Options

Yep, the one arm squat is really hard, I started with 5/10 and tried to increase to 10/15 today, but I feel it in my back a lot when I do that and I don't want to pull a muscle. I have a history of back problems and I'm probably overly cautious. Next time I'll try the 10/15 again.

I'm not increasing my weights every single time - that's the goal but if I can't do it properly with increased weights, I'm staying put until I can increase without my form suffering.

I'm excited to go back to Stage 2 and see how my strength has increased! Next week!!!

eta: I've only been lifting moderate since March and "heavy" since starting this program in July - definitely still a novice!

I felt a little tweeky when I was doing it too. Does it say in the book to go back to Stage 2 when you're done with Stage 3? Sorry - I use the book at the gym.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I felt a little tweeky when I was doing it too. Does it say in the book to go back to Stage 2 when you're done with Stage 3? Sorry - I use the book at the gym.

Stage 4 uses the exercises in Stage 2, although I haven't looked very closely at the reps, rest times, etc. From what I recall, Stage 4 and 5 repeat Stages 2 and 3...
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I'm not fan of step ups but my bigger dislike is for lunges. I have horrible balance so trying to do these always makes me have to concentrate a lot more to make sure I don't fal over.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options

I just bring my spreadsheet that I use to track my progress. (Yes, I'm that big a geek that I made a spreadsheet for each workout for each stage) :laugh: I usually study the pictues the night be fore though.
  • idauria
    Options
    Is it bad that I still can't really do anything with a 20lb dumbbell?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

ph yea I always have my book with me. I have a hard time remembering the moves with only the names. I might look stupid but I do not give a **** lol.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

is it your hands that stop you from taking higher weights? Iknow that for any exercises, my hands get tired before my big muscles. I use 25 - 30 pounds usually for big moves (step ups for exemple) but only 15 pounds for the small movements.
  • idauria
    Options

is it your hands that stop you from taking higher weights? Iknow that for any exercises, my hands get tired before my big muscles. I use 25 - 30 pounds usually for big moves (step ups for exemple) but only 15 pounds for the small movements.

For big exercises like step ups I have moved up to using the barbell(for a total of 65lbs). But even for lunges I am having a hard time holding something heavier, not because of my hands, because it's truly making the exercise harder.