New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the guidance! I used 5 lbs on the YTWL - I'm not sure I can do 7.5 next time - especially on the W and L - although I could probably do it on the Y and T.

Deni - your description made perfect sense on the RDL/Row. Thanks - that's not what I did! I do question that combination though - I can deadlift over twice what I can row - the deadlift just doesn't seem necessary at such a low weight. Anybody else think so?

Bizco - thanks for the video. I did the back extension backwards, with my legs going up and down - I really felt it. Not sure which is better.

I am the same with the deadlift and row. I'm not on stage 3 yet, but I too question the RDL/BOR combo. I'm starting stage 2 on Monday. On stage 3 workout B there is a back extension and prone cobra-would you do both or 2 back extensions? Just asking as I'm not a fan of the prone cobra.
  • lauratws
    lauratws Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the guidance! I used 5 lbs on the YTWL - I'm not sure I can do 7.5 next time - especially on the W and L - although I could probably do it on the Y and T.

Deni - your description made perfect sense on the RDL/Row. Thanks - that's not what I did! I do question that combination though - I can deadlift over twice what I can row - the deadlift just doesn't seem necessary at such a low weight. Anybody else think so?

Bizco - thanks for the video. I did the back extension backwards, with my legs going up and down - I really felt it. Not sure which is better.

I am the same with the deadlift and row. I'm not on stage 3 yet, but I too question the RDL/BOR combo. I'm starting stage 2 on Monday. On stage 3 workout B there is a back extension and prone cobra-would you do both or 2 back extensions? Just asking as I'm not a fan of the prone cobra.

That's a good question - I really enjoyed the back extension that I did on the gym equipment and I feel it today, but the more I think about it, 6 reps didn't seem like that much - I could have done much more. As for the prone cobra - I ended up doing 2 90 sec planks and one 90 sec cobra. No rhyme or reason to it, just what I felt like doing - plus, I get a lot out of planks, so I figure they can't hurt!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

That's a good question - I really enjoyed the back extension that I did on the gym equipment and I feel it today, but the more I think about it, 6 reps didn't seem like that much - I could have done much more. As for the prone cobra - I ended up doing 2 90 sec planks and one 90 sec cobra. No rhyme or reason to it, just what I felt like doing - plus, I get a lot out of planks, so I figure they can't hurt!
    I do both back extensions and prone cobra since that's what the book shows (C1 and E). I agree 6 reps of back extension isn't a challenge at all so I'm going to do 3 sets of 10 and possibly hold a weight plate too.
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've been reading your threads for the last week starting from April. Amazing job on sticking with the program. I've read the book from the library and finished S1 week 1 on Saturday. I was amazed at how much the squats made my thighs burn. YEA! I've been doing circuit training/cardio jam ( insanity ) classes 3x week since February and have lost 52lbs. I still have 25-30 to go. I can't imagine starting this program without having some backgrounds :noway:

Needless to say I am pretty excited about changing things up as my scale has slowed to a crawl. :cry:

.idauria- how is the numbness/tingles in your calf and foot doing ? I am experiencing the same problem right now, and I believe it's due to sciatica in my back. It flares up on occasion, not so much in the back this time, but it runs down my leg and it certainly slows a workout down. Rested all day yesterday, not sure what I'll do today. My lifting days are Tu, Thurs, Sat. and I like to do classes, M, W, F, but didn't do any last week due to starting ROLFW

To start the second week, did most/anybody already increase your weight? I feel like the olympic bar is heavy enough right now at 45 for squats so that will stay the same. I did one workout with the bar alone, the second on the smith machine - didn't have a spotter ( didn't like that, not enough play to stand up properly , felt like the machine had control over me )

Thanks for having the thread :flowerforyou:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've been reading your threads for the last week starting from April. Amazing job on sticking with the program. I've read the book from the library and finished S1 week 1 on Saturday. I was amazed at how much the squats made my thighs burn. YEA! I've been doing circuit training/cardio jam ( insanity ) classes 3x week since February and have lost 52lbs. I still have 25-30 to go. I can't imagine starting this program without having some backgrounds :noway:

Needless to say I am pretty excited about changing things up as my scale has slowed to a crawl. :cry:

.idauria- how is the numbness/tingles in your calf and foot doing ? I am experiencing the same problem right now, and I believe it's due to sciatica in my back. It flares up on occasion, not so much in the back this time, but it runs down my leg and it certainly slows a workout down. Rested all day yesterday, not sure what I'll do today. My lifting days are Tu, Thurs, Sat. and I like to do classes, M, W, F, but didn't do any last week due to starting ROLFW

To start the second week, did most/anybody already increase your weight? I feel like the olympic bar is heavy enough right now at 45 for squats so that will stay the same. I did one workout with the bar alone, the second on the smith machine - didn't have a spotter ( didn't like that, not enough play to stand up properly , felt like the machine had control over me )

Thanks for having the thread :flowerforyou:

My calf felt much better the next day after laying it on a heating pad and gently massaging it the night before. I haven't had the problem since. Sciatica can be very painful. I used to get it when I was pregnant. I don't know if there's much you can do to alleviate the pain since it's a pinched nerve. I guess you can try to stretch your lower back and glutes to loosen the muscles. Hopefully that might loosen their grip on your nerves. I hope it doesn't hamper your workout efforts!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Today I start Stage 3!!! Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until this afternoon or after dinner since I have a playdate at 9:30 this morning and I have to take my daughter to school in 5 minutes, so no time to work out this morning. I am looking forward to it, although I am not sure about the YWTL. I have to re-read the descriptions of all the exercises before I start. I think the rest are pretty straight forward though. Thank goodness for you tube though! I love that we can find demonstrations for pretty much every exercise in the book. It really help to be able to see it performed live and just rely on the descriptions in the book.

Anyway, I probably won't be on much because the hard drive on my laptop died yesterday. I have to wait for my husband to get a new one and then install it and who knows how long this will take. In the meantime I have limited access to the computer in his office. He is working from home all day today so I probably won't be able to get back on until tonight. Have a great day ladies!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked already (didn't read everything). Has anyone found a good droid app for keeping track of your lifting (sets, how much weight, etc?)

I just use a spreadsheet I created in Word, don't want to drag my phone around, especially around heavy weights! I'd hate to break it!
  • bizco
    Options
    One thing I hate about the book is that it doesn't explain the purpose of the exercises or which muscles are being worked. Other programs express the importance of focusing on the primary muscle(s) being worked so you get the full benefit of both the positive and negative contraction. Granted, many of the exercises are self-explanatory but others are not.

For example, what the heck is the purpose of Hanna Side Flexion 3 (pg. 223)? The heading of this section (beginning on page 221) is "Lateral Flexion Exercises." Huh? If the purpose is to work the hip flexors by raising of the leg, I can think of much more effective exercises. If the purpose is to work the obliques by raising of the head and torso, there are many other more effective and challenging exercises. The last exercise shown for this group is the Swiss-ball side crunch. This doesn't work the hip flexor at all. I'm considering dropping these "lateral flexion" exercises and substituting others.

For those ladies in stages 2 or 3, what are you doing for the Lateral Flexion exercises? What are your thoughts about them? What is their purpose? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options

For those ladies in stages 2 or 3, what are you doing for the Lateral Flexion exercises? What are your thoughts about them? What is their purpose? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm on level 2 and I've done the lateral raise on the swiss ball and the hanna side flexion thingy and got more out of the hanna. I felt it in the opposite hip from what I was raising. It's such a small move and doesn't seem like it would do much, but I felt like I worked the muscles more.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    One thing I hate about the book is that it doesn't explain the purpose of the exercises or which muscles are being worked. Other programs express the importance of focusing on the primary muscle(s) being worked so you get the full benefit of both the positive and negative contraction. Granted, many of the exercises are self-explanatory but others are not.

For example, what the heck is the purpose of Hanna Side Flexion 3 (pg. 223)? The heading of this section (beginning on page 221) is "Lateral Flexion Exercises." Huh? If the purpose is to work the hip flexors by raising of the leg, I can think of much more effective exercises. If the purpose is to work the obliques by raising of the head and torso, there are many other more effective and challenging exercises. The last exercise shown for this group is the Swiss-ball side crunch. This doesn't work the hip flexor at all. I'm considering dropping these "lateral flexion" exercises and substituting others.

I don't know. I didn't feel much from them and wasn't clear about their purpose. They're not so present in Stage 3, I'm subbing Side bends with weights for the lateral flexion and I'm also subbing Good Mornings for the back extensions since my gym doesn't have a back extension machine.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I don't know. I didn't feel much from them and wasn't clear about their purpose. They're not so present in Stage 3, I'm subbing Side bends with weights for the lateral flexion and I'm also subbing Good Mornings for the back extensions since my gym doesn't have a back extension machine.

Thanks for the suggestions on replacements for the back extensions!! I'm working out at home and don't have a back extension machine. I had been doing them on a swiss ball but didn't feel like my form was the best.
  • bizco
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions on replacements for the back extensions!! I'm working out at home and don't have a back extension machine. I had been doing them on a swiss ball but didn't feel like my form was the best.
    You could also do Supermans as shown in the video below. The video shows the advanced version. If you have lower back issues, don't put your arms out in front, just keep them at your sides with the palms up as shown in the prone cobra starting position. Still raise your torso and feet off the ground. Make sure you look down toward the floor, don't hyperextend the neck by looking up.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/superman
  • bizco
    Options

I don't know. I didn't feel much from them and wasn't clear about their purpose. They're not so present in Stage 3, I'm subbing Side bends with weights for the lateral flexion.
    Thanks Elizabeth. I'll sub side bends with weights and side planks with a twist. I just don't feel anything with the Hanna exercises. Besides, I work my hip flexors plenty on non-lifting cardio days. I would rather do core work during my lift sessions.
  • deninevi
    Options

I do both back extensions and prone cobra since that's what the book shows (C1 and E). I agree 6 reps of back extension isn't a challenge at all so I'm going to do 3 sets of 10 and possibly hold a weight plate too.

A weighted plate makes a difference on everything :) When I get to Stage 3, I'll probably do the back extension with weighted plate.
  • deninevi
    Options

I don't know. I didn't feel much from them and wasn't clear about their purpose. They're not so present in Stage 3, I'm subbing Side bends with weights for the lateral flexion.
    Thanks Elizabeth. I'll sub side bends with weights and side planks with a twist. I just don't feel anything with the Hanna exercises. Besides, I work my hip flexors plenty on non-lifting cardio days. I would rather do core work during my lift sessions.

I was thinking the purpose of Lateral Flexion will be the obliques. Wouldn't a side crunch be the same? Or side bends? I don't know.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I did Stage 2 WO A today and I had really hard time with the Front Squat/Push Press. I couldn't get the bar right on the front of my shoulders, I couldn't get the arms in the right position and I just struggled big time with it. The rest of the WO wasn't that bad, but I bet my legs will be on fire tomorrow. :)
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    Hi Ladies! So I officially restarted NROLW this morning. Since I had completed Stage 1 before and I didn't want to start completely from scratch I started from week 5. It felt good. I went in to work on an endorphin high. :smile: Looking forward to finishing stage 1 and actually going through the rest of the stages this time. I feel like I can really do it this time. I'm also thinking about signing up for another half marathon the New Jersey half marathon in May. I have run it twice before and still haven't reached my goal time frame between 2:36 and 2:49. That's betwen a 12 and 13 minute mile. I know that's really slow but for that distance it will be quite a victory for me. :drinker: The first race I ran the weather was cool and drizzly (is that a word?) and the second race was unseasonable hot. I'm hoping the third time might be the charm with the weather being just right and me finally meeting my goal. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • elizabethblake
    Options

I've pretty much re-worked the side and core exercises in Stage 3 Workout B to suit my particular needs/wants. if I get good results, I'll claim the credit, if not, then I'll have learned a lesson! I didn't feel like I was getting a good range of motion (as in, hardly ANY) with incline reverse crunches, so I'm doing reverse crunches with the swiss ball (holding it between my feet and raising and lower it) and I definitely feel those. I'm subbing prone jackknives (straight leg) for the swiss ball crunches because that's a harder exercise for me. My Workout B looks like this:

Barbell Romanian Deadlift/bentover row
    Partial leg single squat (really getting better at these!)
    Wide grip lat pulldown
    Good Mornings
    YTWL
    Prone jackknives
    Reverse crunch with ball
    Side bends with dumbbell

And due to time constraints, I'm skipping the prone cobras and intervals - doing intervals on the days between lifting.

I do love the program, I have two more workouts and I'm on to Stage 4!!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i'm on stage 1 workout 5B tonight...i love the schedule i have set up and i love that i can get these lifting sessions done in a "reasonable" time...i do notice that stage 2 is going to take me a considerable bit more time but since i already add cardio warmup/cool down to my lifting days the intervals training will just replace that so hopefully i wont take toooo much longer in the gym for stage 2....i customized the sheet that cassie gave me so i'm ready to jump into the next stage once i finish #1...i love having sheet with me to mark up and then i enter the actual numbers/wts done onto my google spreadsheet online...i'm a numbers girl so i love having the data....oh and i have been increasing my wt as i go forward and love how strong i feel as i'm doing the exercises....again, looking at the more detailed workout in stage 2 i'm a bit nervous but i'll get it done :) thanks for the thread, i enjoy reading others talk about the stuff i have coming up in the future...