New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am here reading, but don't always post much.
    I am up to the 3 sets of 10 rep, I did workout A yesterday. I am not new to lifting, and getting a little bored with this stage, and how long it is. I am so tempted to move on. Did anyone else do this?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Here's a you tube video of good mornings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iycq-kJann0

Since I work out at home I obviously can't do the extensions either. Thanks for the suggestion of the good mornings. I am going to either do those or supermans if the good mornings hurt my back too much.
  • idauria
    Options
    One thing I hate about the book is that it doesn't explain the purpose of the exercises or which muscles are being worked. Other programs express the importance of focusing on the primary muscle(s) being worked so you get the full benefit of both the positive and negative contraction. Granted, many of the exercises are self-explanatory but others are not.

For example, what the heck is the purpose of Hanna Side Flexion 3 (pg. 223)? The heading of this section (beginning on page 221) is "Lateral Flexion Exercises." Huh? If the purpose is to work the hip flexors by raising of the leg, I can think of much more effective exercises. If the purpose is to work the obliques by raising of the head and torso, there are many other more effective and challenging exercises. The last exercise shown for this group is the Swiss-ball side crunch. This doesn't work the hip flexor at all. I'm considering dropping these "lateral flexion" exercises and substituting others.

For those ladies in stages 2 or 3, what are you doing for the Lateral Flexion exercises? What are your thoughts about them? What is their purpose? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I don't know. I didn't feel much from them and wasn't clear about their purpose. They're not so present in Stage 3, I'm subbing Side bends with weights for the lateral flexion and I'm also subbing Good Mornings for the back extensions since my gym doesn't have a back extension machine.

I have been doing side bends as well instead of the lateral flexion exercises. They just didn't feel comfortable to me. Now that might just be that I am doing them wrong. But I do like the side bends. I am just not sure if it's working the same muscle group that the lateral flexion exercises work. I will be doing good mornings for the back extensions too unless they strain my back too much(I had lower back problems earlier this year). If so, then I'll do supermans. I didn't get to work out today so I'll be doing workout A after dinner. I am NOT looking forward to the body matrix!
  • idauria
    Options
    I am up to the 3 sets of 10 rep, I did workout A yesterday. I am not new to lifting, and getting a little bored with this stage, and how long it is. I am so tempted to move on. Did anyone else do this?

Nope. I stuck it out although I wasn't tempted to cut it short. I am not new to lifting either but I wanted to follow this plan as written.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Since I work out at home I obviously can't do the extensions either. Thanks for the suggestion of the good mornings. I am going to either do those or supermans if the good mornings hurt my back too much.

Hope they work for you - I love them! I especially love using the squat rack...makes me feel all serious and stuff... ;o) One thing the trainer at my gym told me to remember when doing GM is to get a full range of motion through the hips when you come back to an upright position. You really do feel the difference.

The body matrix isn't all that bad. Really, it only lasts for a few minutes, twice, and then it's over!!! You can totally do it!
  • idauria
    Options

Hope they work for you - I love them! I especially love using the squat rack...makes me feel all serious and stuff... ;o) One thing the trainer at my gym told me to remember when doing GM is to get a full range of motion through the hips when you come back to an upright position. You really do feel the difference.

The body matrix isn't all that bad. Really, it only lasts for a few minutes, twice, and then it's over!!! You can totally do it!

Actually right now I am wondering about how to do the reverse wood chop with dumbbells. Anyone else do those? I saw some you tube videos and I hope I can mimic their actions. I don't know why I have a hard time with those but I do. Sometimes I wish I had a personal trainer working out with me to make sure I am doing everything right!
  • idauria
    Options
    Good morning!!! So I got through Workout A of stage 3 last night. It nearly killed me! I hated the body matrix. I couldn't even do it a second time. But to be fair I had to put my kids to bed, I probably would have tried to at least suffer through it if I had more time. I didn't realize how long this workout was going to be. 105 second rests is a long time, combined with 3 sets instead of 2...it took me over an hour. My first body matrix time was 3 minutes. I guess I'll see if I can do better next time. My legs are soooo sore right now! But you know what they say right? What doesn't kill ya only makes you stronger!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Opened a group ladies (because there wasn't one yet), please come join: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! So I got through Workout A of stage 3 last night. It nearly killed me! I hated the body matrix. I couldn't even do it a second time. But to be fair I had to put my kids to bed, I probably would have tried to at least suffer through it if I had more time. I didn't realize how long this workout was going to be. 105 second rests is a long time, combined with 3 sets instead of 2...it took me over an hour. My first body matrix time was 3 minutes. I guess I'll see if I can do better next time. My legs are soooo sore right now! But you know what they say right? What doesn't kill ya only makes you stronger!
    I had a hard time finishing 2 sets of body matrix when I first did it too. So I changed the order of the exercises and now I can do it. I have more energy at the start of the matrix so I do the jumping exercises first. Once they're done it's no problem to do the regular squats and lunges.
  • bizco
    Options
    Do you have the book? Not sure which stage you're in so I can't tell you how long it is. The authors are clear that the program is balanced, progressive and has a deliberate order. No, I'm following the program, not skipping anything.
  • idauria
    Options
    I had a hard time finishing 2 sets of body matrix when I first did it too. So I changed the order of the exercises and now I can do it. I have more energy at the start of the matrix so I do the jumping exercises first. Once they're done it's no problem to do the regular squats and lunges.

Omg, yes, I was soo tired by the end! I think this routine is more taxing than the others. I was never this tired at the end of a session before. Now this might be because I worked out at the end of the day instead of the morning though. I was already tired and this just put the nail in the coffin!
  • bizco
    Options
    What does this mean? People are no longer going to use this existing thread? I find it very easy to use and keep up with new posts.
  • idauria
    Options
    I'm going to to continue to post here and I have joined the new group as well. I guess the group is private, only for those of us that have joined.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm going to to continue to post here and I have joined the new group as well. I guess the group is private, only for those of us that have joined.

This. Except the group isn't private. You just have to go to Groups and join it. I'll be following both.
  • idauria
    Options

This. Except the group isn't private. You just have to go to Groups and join it. I'll be following both.

Ahh, my bad!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm going to post both places too.
    You all are scaring me with the body matrix!!!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The body matrix sucks so hard. I only have fuzzy recollections of lots of the program (so soon we forget!) but the body matrix is forever burned into my memory.
  • idauria
    Options
    The body matrix sucks so hard. I only have fuzzy recollections of lots of the program (so soon we forget!) but the body matrix is forever burned into my memory.

Omg, I know I won't have to do it again until Friday but I am already dreading it! It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't preceded by the whole workout!
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 1 week 2 B today. My calf is still sore, but it's not unbearable. I'm still pretty stoked about all this .

I feel so far behind everyone. I really like the dead lifts . I wasn't sure how much weight to start with. I put 30# on , so it was 75 total. Tomorrow will let me know if I over did it, but it felt fine tonight.

Just the term "matrix" makes that workout sound scary... but you gotta love a challenge.