New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Do any of you who are currently doing NROLFW do the exercises at home? I have a pretty good set up already but I know I will have to add on. I also know that I can use other things if I don't have the right equipment. I am halfway through the book and want to get started.

I do it at home. I have pretty much all I need except for the pulldown station. I use the modified version of the lat exercises for those. I love working out at home. I love the flexibility and the fact that nobody is watching me!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Here's a great video from Bret Contreras showing how to do the single-leg Romanian deadlift correctly in stage 3. I love this guy! His knee of the grounded leg bends a bit when executing the move and I don't think this is a problem. My knee also naturally bends a bit and I really have to focus and try to force it to stay straight; sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. Do whatever is comfortable for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyV3rwv62AE&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=9&feature=plpp_video
  • idauria
    Options
    Here's a great video from Bret Contreras showing how to do the single-leg Romanian deadlift correctly in stage 3. I love this guy! His knee of the grounded leg bends a bit when executing the move and I don't think this is a problem. My knee also naturally bends a bit and I really have to focus and try to force it to stay straight; sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. Do whatever is comfortable for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyV3rwv62AE&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=9&feature=plpp_video

Nice tutorial! I can't wait to get started on Monday!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Wow, can you imagine doing those with 315 lbs.!?!?
  • idauria
    Options

Wow, can you imagine doing those with 315 lbs.!?!?

Ha! I'll be lucky to be able to do them with 20lb dumbbells!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Thanks for the video - I'm going to have to work on these every day before I add weight, but I can totally see what I've been doing wrong.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Thanks for the video - I'm going to have to work on these every day before I add weight, but I can totally see what I've been doing wrong.

Thank you. I will take a look at home. I am done with stage 2 today and will start stage 3 monday. Yaya
  • bizco
    Options

Thank you. I will take a look at home. I am done with stage 2 today and will start stage 3 monday. Yaya

Cool. We can share the joy of doing 2 sets of the body matrix. I was like, "Are you freaking kidding me? One set isn't enough?"
  • idauria
    Options

Cool. We can share the joy of doing 2 sets of the body matrix. I was like, "Are you freaking kidding me? One set isn't enough?"

I'll be starting stage 3 on Monday too!
  • shellbell525
    Options
    I've had a very lazy day off today and didnt really feel like doing my work out even though I knew I'd feel better once I did. Reading through this board got me off my butt. Thank you my fellow myfitnesspalers
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked already (didn't read everything). Has anyone found a good droid app for keeping track of your lifting (sets, how much weight, etc?)
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hey all - Did Stage 3, Workout B for the first time today. The gym office was closed so I didn't have the book with me. Few questions for those of you who have done it. Are we supposed to use weights in the YTWL? I did, but every tutorial I watched on YouTube, didn't have the person using weights. On the Bent Over Row/RDL - are we supposed to do 6 RDL and then 6 Rows? Or 1 RDL, then 1 Row, etc. And finally, if you use a gym, did you do the back extensions on that one piece of equipment or on the floor?

Thanks! I liked it enough - Although, I prefer Workout A, I think. I did enjoy the partial split squats - they really get you in the backside!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Rebekah - sorry, I have a blackberry.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked already (didn't read everything). Has anyone found a good droid app for keeping track of your lifting (sets, how much weight, etc?)

I use the MFP app. But it doesn't do anything fun like chart them.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Hey all - Did Stage 3, Workout B for the first time today. The gym office was closed so I didn't have the book with me. Few questions for those of you who have done it. Are we supposed to use weights in the YTWL? I did, but every tutorial I watched on YouTube, didn't have the person using weights. On the Bent Over Row/RDL - are we supposed to do 6 RDL and then 6 Rows? Or 1 RDL, then 1 Row, etc. And finally, if you use a gym, did you do the back extensions on that one piece of equipment or on the floor?

Thanks! I liked it enough - Although, I prefer Workout A, I think. I did enjoy the partial split squats - they really get you in the backside!!

I am pretty sure the YTWL need weights. The lady has dumbbells in her hands, probably 5 pounders. I will do the back extensions on the equipement....I really do not enjoy prone cobra that much. For you other question, I have no idea, my book is in the car and I am too lazy to go get it LOL. I am starting stage 3 next week!!!!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

My husband uses Jefit on his phone for tracking. I use a notebook :)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

YTWL- with weights. Do 6 reps of the Y, move to the 6 reps for the T, then 6 reps for the W and 6 reps for the L-one set. No break between Y, T,W,L.

The BB RDL/BOR it's a combo between the two:grab the BB from the floor and lift-like a deadlift. When at top bent over-BB just under the knees, row to upper abs, lower BB to just under knees and stand up-1 rep. Hope this makes sense.
  • bizco
    Options

The book says "use very light dumbbells" for YTWL. I used 5-pounders on my first workout and I'll try to use 8lb. on my second workout; at least one set and see how my form is. For RDL/Bent-over Row do 1 RDL then 1 Row, repeat. See YouTube video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2jBYcC4m0

I go to the gym and use the machine. The gym has two different back extension machines and one is definitely better than the other. The one I use is like the one shown in this video, and it's the one described in the book.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/hyperextensions-back-extensions
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the guidance! I used 5 lbs on the YTWL - I'm not sure I can do 7.5 next time - especially on the W and L - although I could probably do it on the Y and T.

Deni - your description made perfect sense on the RDL/Row. Thanks - that's not what I did! I do question that combination though - I can deadlift over twice what I can row - the deadlift just doesn't seem necessary at such a low weight. Anybody else think so?

Bizco - thanks for the video. I did the back extension backwards, with my legs going up and down - I really felt it. Not sure which is better.
  • bizco
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the guidance! I used 5 lbs on the YTWL - I'm not sure I can do 7.5 next time - especially on the W and L - although I could probably do it on the Y and T.

Deni - your description made perfect sense on the RDL/Row. Thanks - that's not what I did! I do question that combination though - I can deadlift over twice what I can row - the deadlift just doesn't seem necessary at such a low weight. Anybody else think so?

Bizco - thanks for the video. I did the back extension backwards, with my legs going up and down - I really felt it. Not sure which is better.
    I can also deadlift twice as much as I can row. But we are still working the hamstrings somewhat even at the low weight. I'm sure the author has his reasons, I'm just following the program. :smile:
  • TSTagain
    TSTagain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump - need to save this one for later :)