New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I've decided that the step-ups are probably my least favorite exercise in Stage 1. I'm wondering if it's because of the 'step' I'm using, though. I have a step aerobics bench with 2 risers/bricks/blocks (whatever you want to call them!) for each end/side. That didn't seem high enough, because I really didn't feel like I was working anything. I started using a kitchen chair several workouts ago and that seems a bit TOO high, but it's definitely a kick my butt kind of workout (especially while holding 22.5 lb dumbbells in each hand!).

Anyway - I'm just wondering what 'step' everyone else is using/has used for their step-ups. Thanks!
    I'm using a step platform with 6 risers and 30lb. dumbbells in each hand. A trainer who's into NROL4W told me it's more important to increase the height of the step before the weight.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    I've decided that the step-ups are probably my least favorite exercise in Stage 1. I'm wondering if it's because of the 'step' I'm using, though. I have a step aerobics bench with 2 risers/bricks/blocks (whatever you want to call them!) for each end/side. That didn't seem high enough, because I really didn't feel like I was working anything. I started using a kitchen chair several workouts ago and that seems a bit TOO high, but it's definitely a kick my butt kind of workout (especially while holding 22.5 lb dumbbells in each hand!).

Anyway - I'm just wondering what 'step' everyone else is using/has used for their step-ups. Thanks!

My gym has about 6 different square, metal steps of different heights. They look like the one in this video: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/step-up/MM00722 (I think the highest one comes up to my waist!)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member

I was using the bench for the bench press for step ups with 30lbs. in each hand.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Fitrunnermd - I'm on stage 1 workout B4 tomorrow. I'm also training for the disney princess half marathon in February 2012. I'm tracking the nutrients but not really paying attention to them lol. I pay most attention to my calories and sodium. We should be friends :-)
    I was hoping that I would find a thread of folks doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and here you are. :smile: I had completed stage 1 over the summer then fell off the wagon. Now I'm ready to start up again next week. (This week is too crazy to start anything new). I'm also running 2 - 3 times a week. I know according to the book that much cardio is unnecessary but I love the sense of accompliment I get as I increase my mileage so I'm going to keep doing it as long as it doesn't become too much. I want to eventually run another half marathon (I have run 2 very slowly). How are you ladies tracking your macronutrients on this site?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    I completed Stage 2 last night! I read through what Stage 3 has in store for me. Doesn't look too scary, but we'll see! The body matrix part looks interesting. For those who have done that, what's your best time?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Hi guys...anybody like to tell me about this book and whether it is worth getting? I would like to incorporate some weight lifting into my workouts and don't know where to start. Thanks!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    i got it from the library first and then i ordered the paperback version from borders for 14.99 and used a 10 gift card i had....i think it is worth it but i suggest looking it over first from the library...
    Hi guys...anybody like to tell me about this book and whether it is worth getting? I would like to incorporate some weight lifting into my workouts and don't know where to start. Thanks!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    I completed Stage 2 last night! I read through what Stage 3 has in store for me. Doesn't look too scary, but we'll see! The body matrix part looks interesting. For those who have done that, what's your best time?

Hooray!!! I started the body weight matrix with a time of 4:00 (although it should have been more than that - I only did 12 squat jumps because I didn't read the instructions before starting). I did my third Workout A yesterday and my best BWM time was 3:15, so I've shaved 45 seconds off! TLuvK is under 3:00 though, she's killer! The way I look at it, I'm only competing with my time from the last workout, if I can improve on that, I'm happy. :o)
  • Hi guys...anybody like to tell me about this book and whether it is worth getting? I would like to incorporate some weight lifting into my workouts and don't know where to start. Thanks!

For me it's very worth it. I need structure and a plan that I can stick to and this fits the bill nicely. It doens't talk down to women and it also provides a decent meal plan if you need one. I agree that you should look it up in the librabry first before investing to see if it is something that you want to try.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474

I'm using a step platform with 6 risers and 30lb. dumbbells in each hand. A trainer who's into NROL4W told me it's more important to increase the height of the step before the weight.

I've also read that the NRLW people think that the height of the step is super important compared to the weights. After reading that I've been using a 22" step since the middle of Stage1. I'm now in the middle of stage 2 and am still only using 12 pound dumbbells. Getting up that high and using the proper form (not using the momentum of my body to get up, but using just the single leg muscles) still kills me. I have to really concentrage and grit my teeth to get up those last couple of reps!

Push-ups: I think I'm soooo close to doing real, on the floor push-ups. I can do a couple of reps of real ones on the floor, and then I start kind of..... tilting to one side, I guess. One arm/shoulder is stronger than the other and I find myself pushing myself up on an angle (one shoulder is lower towards the floor than the other). Not sure if I should keep doing it this way and keep at it, or if I should go back to doing the pushups off of a low box until my arms/shoulders are stronger on my weaker side. What do you think?
  • I completed Stage 2 last night! I read through what Stage 3 has in store for me. Doesn't look too scary, but we'll see! The body matrix part looks interesting. For those who have done that, what's your best time?

congrats. I hope to get there eventually. :flowerforyou:
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member

Hooray!!! I started the body weight matrix with a time of 4:00 (although it should have been more than that - I only did 12 squat jumps because I didn't read the instructions before starting). I did my third Workout A yesterday and my best BWM time was 3:15, so I've shaved 45 seconds off! TLuvK is under 3:00 though, she's killer! The way I look at it, I'm only competing with my time from the last workout, if I can improve on that, I'm happy. :o)

I have a love/hate relationship with the body weight matrix. I started out around 5 minutes and the last time I did it I got down to 3 minutes. I love it because it's the one place I can see lots of improvement. I hate it because it kicks my butt every time.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member

I decided to build my own plyo boxes/steps to use for this workout. It was super easy and I had minimal help from my boyfriend. I went to Home Depot and had them cut all the wood for me and then I just assembled at home. Here is a good video that shows how you can make your own steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7G0Oy8ao
  • idauria

If you're interested in lifting heavy weights and committing to a 6 month program, then this book is for you! I love that the workouts are all laid out in the book and I don't have to come up with my own routines. Each stage takes less than an hour. It might be tricky if you're working out at home and don't have all the weights/equipment but if you go to the gym then you'll be fine.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Check out Amazon.com and read the customer reviews. You'll get more insight there. Here's my two cents... I think it's an awesome program. One downfall is that you need a gym membership to follow the program as written. The equimpent needed is far too expensive and big to be done at home (i.e. squat rack, cable machine, set of dumbells, barbell, set of barbell plates, weight bench and much more). If you're going to get the benefit of any lifting program you must progress in your weight load. You'll be surprised at how fast you will build up strength and you'll need those heavy weights and equipment.

Book summary:
    You lift 3x per week. 2x per week will work but they really stress 3x. The workouts are divided into 7 stages. The entire program is about 6 months worth of workouts if you lift 3x per week and do all 7 stages (Stage 6 is optional). The book also includes a nutrition plan but I don't follow it. There are some good recipes and ideas for meals and snacks though. You also do some interval (cardio) training in stages 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I'm currently in stage 3. Another downfall is that the workouts are getting longer and time management can be a challenge. Sometimes I'm in the gym for 90+ minutes. Can't skip the warm-ups and cool-down! Sometimes I have to wait to use the equipment. I'm also doing a little more core work than the book has laid out. One example, the book will show 2 sets of 10 reps or 3 sets of 6 reps for crunches and for me, that's not a challenge at all. So I will do 20-30 reps for each set. It adds only 2-3 minutes to the workout.

There are many other lifting programs out there but I like the fact that this book is geared toward women. There really isn't a difference in the exercises you do, the author just uses female pronouns some extra info geared toward women. Congratulations on making the decision to lift. Everyone should be lifting, it's vital for good health. Maintaining and/or gaining strength is so important. And don't worry, you won't bulk up. That's a total misconception.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199

My husband actually made me a step for doing step ups last year when I was doing a different workout routine. I am glad he did because it's getting a lot of use now! It's about a foot high and I can feel the burn in my butt/hams when I step up, especially now that I am up to 65 pounds using the barbell. I can't say they are my favorite exercise, but I don't hate them. I reserve that for lunges. I can do squats all day but the lunges are killing me!

@ idauria - hmmm...maybe my step bench w/ risers would be high enough to get a good burn if I just upped the weight and used the bar on my back instead of trying to hold dumbbells and stepping WAY UP on that kitchen chair (I'm only 5'4" - so that's a long way up...my hubby uses the kitchen chair, but he's 6'8" - so it's not a stretch for him!!!). Thank you for that idea!!!

Thanks to everyone for their input on this! Especially those that posted links to boxes/benches - including how to build one!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Do any of you who are currently doing NROLFW do the exercises at home? I have a pretty good set up already but I know I will have to add on. I also know that I can use other things if I don't have the right equipment. I am halfway through the book and want to get started.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Do any of you who are currently doing NROLFW do the exercises at home? I have a pretty good set up already but I know I will have to add on. I also know that I can use other things if I don't have the right equipment. I am halfway through the book and want to get started.

Can't afford a gym membership. My husband and I are each the other's spotter while we go through the NROL(FW) plan... at home. :smile: We got a really nice weight bench, with bar, dumbells, and weight plates, off of Craigslist for cheap. We've been getting new weight plates at Goodwill.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199

My husband and I are both doing NROL at home. I have a gym membership, but my hubby does not. He bought a Body-Solid home gym back in the spring (I use that for my seated rows & lat pull-downs for stage 1). We've had a set of 52.5 lb adjustable dumbbells for years that we use, too. When we decided to start NROL and NROLFW, we invested in a power cage, adjustable bench, olympic bar, and 400 lbs in plates. I stopped lifting at the gym and only go now for classes or using the treadmill or arc trainer.
  • idauria

My husband actually made me a step for doing step ups last year when I was doing a different workout routine. I am glad he did because it's getting a lot of use now! It's about a foot high and I can feel the burn in my butt/hams when I step up, especially now that I am up to 65 pounds using the barbell. I can't say they are my favorite exercise, but I don't hate them. I reserve that for lunges. I can do squats all day but the lunges are killing me!

@ idauria - hmmm...maybe my step bench w/ risers would be high enough to get a good burn if I just upped the weight and used the bar on my back instead of trying to hold dumbbells and stepping WAY UP on that kitchen chair (I'm only 5'4" - so that's a long way up...my hubby uses the kitchen chair, but he's 6'8" - so it's not a stretch for him!!!). Thank you for that idea!!!

Thanks to everyone for their input on this! Especially those that posted links to boxes/benches - including how to build one!

I am short too, only 4'10", so even a foot step up is big for me, especially with barbell on my back! I can't imagine using a kitchen chair, I think I'd fall off.