Chobani Greek Yogurt or Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt, Which do

Options
Hi there,

I have been seeing commercials on Tv saying that people prefer the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt over
Chobani Greek Yogurt and I just wanted some opinions before I tried it.

I never liked Yogurt period until I joined MFP and learned about Chobani Greek Yogurt and so far its the only one
that I can eat even after trying a few others. With that being said, it is a little pricey at $1.19 each and I eat 1 a day
and I have been seeing commercials on TV for the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt and just wanted to see what people thought
about it in comparison to Chobani.

I have heard of Fagi, At least I think thats what its called but I have never tried it, In Walmart they carry that brand with some fruit in a side cup instead of mixed in. The only place I can find Chobani is at Krogers.

Replies

• crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I found Chobani at Walmart for .86 cents. Plus there was a coupon in the paper. I LOVE Chobani. Stock up when you find a good price :)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I found Chobani at Walmart for .86 cents. Plus there was a coupon in the paper. I LOVE Chobani. Stock up when you find a good price :)

Its not sold at Walmart were I live and I have not looked for it at any other stores besides Walmart and Kroger.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    With regular yogurt, I've never been able to stomach the fruit on the bottom kinds. I find that it never really blends for me and you're left with little balls of yogurt that freak me out. The Dannon greek yogurt didn't mix as well as the Chobani so I didn't enjoy it. I also found it much more sour. Chobani blends and is really creamy, so it doesn't feel like fruit on the bottom.

I've had Fage yogurt once or twice with the little side compartment with fruit and it's very tasty - but it's more expensive than the other options and I rarely see it on sale.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options

what a good price! too bad we don't have walmart here.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    Favorites in this order:

Fage
    Chobani
    Oikos is good in a pinch, but it does not compare.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I vote for Chobani...and yes it is pretty expensive, but its a small price to pay for a quality product. To cut cost, I buy the large containers of Chobani Plain yogurt from Sams for like $5 and I add my own fruit. They also have the flavored kinds in bulk..this should help you cut costs.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I vote for Chobani...and yes it is pretty expensive, but its a small price to pay for a quality product. To cut cost, I buy the large containers of Chobani Plain yogurt from Sams for like $5 and I add my own fruit. They also have the flavored kinds in bulk..this should help you cut costs.

Really? Sams has Chobani with fruit in bulk? I will have to look at my Sams because they are part of Walmart and they don't
    have Chobani Yogurt here inTN at least not in my area. Will def check Sams though. Thanks
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look out for the Dannon-Oikos "blended" ....... really high in sugar. Fruit on the bottom is better.

I like most greek yogurt (so I'm not helpful). Another brand Wal-Mart carries is Athenos ($1.00) - yum! It has the fruit in a separate compartment like Fage. I really really really like the pineapple one.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Really? Sams has Chobani with fruit in bulk? I will have to look at my Sams because they are part of Walmart and they don't
    have Chobani Yogurt here inTN at least not in my area. Will def check Sams though. Thanks

Yup, in OH and they sell the fruit ones for less than $1/cup...I want to say it's $11 something for 12. It comes with strawberry, blueberry, and peach :)
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I get Chobani at Wegman's for $1 each and I love it. Not a fan of other varieties. For any yogurt I check to see what live cultures are in it. The more the better, I say! I also buy plain yogurt and add in whatever I like: homemade jam, maple syrup, honey, fruit, flax, coconut.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had the Dannon Greek-apparently it has as many grams of sugar as a candy bar. Just a heads up if you are trying to cut back on sweets!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I buy Chobani or Dannon's Oikos Greek Yogurt at Giant Food Stores. My husband likes the flavored ones but, like someone else said, it does have a LOT of sugar. So I buy the plain and use it in my fruit smoothies (1 c strawberries/1 c blueberries/1 greek yogurt/1 scoop of whey protein isolate mix/McCormicks almond or vanilla flavoring). You can also add Lipton Onion Soup mix or Hellmans dry mix to make a dip out of it. I also heard that Trader Joe has pumpkin butter that tastes good mixed with greek yogurt... can't wait to try that one myself!!
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    I'm the same as you!! I've never liked yogurt until I discovered Chobani!! My fridge is stocked with it!!

Never tried the Dannon stuff.. but any marketing strategy that uses John Stamos as a marketing ploy to get women to buy their yogurt... nuff said?
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you! My local Walmart does not carry Chobani :( The best deal I've seen is 2 for $3 at Food Lion.

Even so, I will pay whatever for my beloved Chobani. Never tried any other brands of greek yogurt.
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    Although I like the Greek yogurt I found it to be way to spendy, I ended up switching to the Kroger (Ralph's) Carb Master yogurt, not as much protein but not as many sugars either.
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Chobani also and tolerate Oikos...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    ZOI Honey flavored greek yogurt. It's like crack cocaine. Can't get enough.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    ZOI Honey flavored greek yogurt. It's like crack cocaine. Can't get enough.
    Mmmm .... crack cocaine. The new Chobani flavor
  • diane423
    diane423 Posts: 48
    Options
    Favorites in this order:

Fage
    Chobani
    Oikos is good in a pinch, but it does not compare.

Love these as well... Black cherry and Honey are my fav..
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I think Fage is by far the best. I don't like any yogurt that is sweetened or has that syrupy fruit in it. I get the 0% Fage and add honey, walnuts and some dried fruit to it.