Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    So I picked my first half out. April 22nd next year. Nothing I can be ready for earlier thanks to cold Michigan winters. This will be a trial run for a marathon two months after that I'm working towards.
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    So my husband and I run 2 times a week, same trail, same distance. Only issue was it's DARK. I mean reallllllly dark. I have a headlamp but it just wasn't cutting it so I stopped in at REI last night on the way home and got one on sale +30% off ($22) OH.MY.GOD best $22 I've ever spent! It's amazing! We could see so far in front of us and we even saw a coyote!!! I am not a fast runner by any means, never have been and probably never will be my avg pace on this run is usually over a 12MM last night it was 11:30. Don't know if it's the combination of being able to see better or the consistency in my running recently but I felt fabulous the whole entire time! I have a 7 mile run coming up this weekend, I only hope I feel as good on it as I did last night :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    runners: to run with shin splints or let them heal? (it's definitely an overuse injury)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'd rest if I had shin splints. I'd do something low impact until it feels better.

I did an hour on the elliptical today.

I am definitely feeling nerves. I feel like I am going to be a ball of energy with waiting until the race! I have to get there around 8am, race starts at 9am. I am getting anxious!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Urban best of luck. You will do great.

Shin splints I thought were from bad form. Do more stretching too. Write the alphabet slowly 3 times with your foot.
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    Thanks mlb!
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 10k(on the treadmill) Happy Friday and good luck to those who are racing this weekend! I signed my 9yr old son and myself up for the Chicago Monster Dash 5k on 10/29! Should be another fun run with him. Now to think of a costume????
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    @mlb 929 I'm sure it could contribute but I don't think my form is bad. I'm a mid-foot or ball of the feet striker.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I''m doing my first half Nov 13th with my husband. It will be his 1st too. I'm really excited about it. I strained my Soleus on my long run Saturday. I didn't run for 3 days then I ran 3 miles Wednesday and did great. I then ran 4.7 miles yesterday and my calf cramped up within the first mile. I walked it out and I was able to continue running then with no cramping. I should be good to go by Saturday to run 9 miles.
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    Well ran my long run this morning. 8.5 miles in a hour 21 minutes. I was happy with that since I'm on away for the weekend and it was only 45 degrees out and was 35 to 45 mph wind gust the whole time.
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi guys,

So my first HALF is tomorrow!!! I am nervous, excited.... and nervous!

I know I am supposed to have a lot of carbs today, I'm not a huge pasta person. Anyone else have any other dinner suggestions for tonights pre-race meal?

Thanks! Good luck to everyone running today :)
  • mlb929
    Options
    Welcome Sharon

Jon good job I did a windy run a few weeks ago it was tough
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    Hi guys,

So my first HALF is tomorrow!!! I am nervous, excited.... and nervous!

I know I am supposed to have a lot of carbs today, I'm not a huge pasta person. Anyone else have any other dinner suggestions for tonights pre-race meal?

Thanks! Good luck to everyone running today :)

I'm excited for you! Have a great run and good luck!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    I ran 9 miles this morning. My time was 1.35. I'm not real happy with that but I had to take it easy. My calf felt pretty good, should be great by my next long run!
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Can I join you all? I've just started training for my first half marathon. Am doing Brighton in Feb 2012, so plenty of time to get ready - though training schedule says I'll *hopefully* be running the full distance by the end of November which sounds very soon and is therefore incredibly scary as I've only ever run a 5k before! And knowing me and my luck, it won't all go to plan, but we'll see! :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    Hi! I made it! I ran the entire half today!
    It was a pretty amazing experience. I got real emotional at the end and almost cried when I finished. I saw my husband and hugged him and teared up.
    The race itself was beautiful, the trail was awesome. I never ran there before, so it was really cool.
    My foot did start to hurt but the pain moved around if that makes sense. It was from my Achilles, to the top of my foot to my arch and back around. I am icing it and taking a break from running for a little bit.
    I did start late because I was waiting in line to use the port-a-potty. I wasn't running with having to pee even if there were port-a-potties along the trail. Once I started running I didn't want to stop. So I started 4 minutes after everyone did (there were 10 other people who started late, too), but I caught up. I am not sure if my official time will reflect I started late, but I know I ran it in 2 hours 20 minutes because I had my own timer. I kept telling myself at the end if I stop and walk it will take longer.
    The last mile was tough, it went up hill, got quite steep at one point but the rest was downhill once I had like 400 meters to go. They even announced my name as I finished. I thought that was pretty cool and they even pronounced my last name right.
    I had my picture taken when I finished so I will go and find it once it is up.
    Thank guys for your support!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job UHR!!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • mlb929
    Options
    Urban I'm so thrilled you posted I only logged on from my hotel room to hear about today's races. Great job.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great job Urban!