Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half on October 15 in Baltimore. What an awesome experience and it was worth the training.

Congratulations!!
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Ran 4 miles last night. It took me 55 minutes. Getting a little worried that I wont be able to get too much faster by December 3rd for the half. I have no specific goal yet, but 11 or 12 mm would be nice. We will see how it goes Thursday morning for my 7+ mile run.
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    I just ran my first half on October 15 in Baltimore. What an awesome experience and it was worth the training.

Congratulations! :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Ran 4 miles last night. It took me 55 minutes. Getting a little worried that I wont be able to get too much faster by December 3rd for the half. I have no specific goal yet, but 11 or 12 mm would be nice. We will see how it goes Thursday morning for my 7+ mile run.

If it's your first have - don't focus on a MPM or time goal - focus on a finish goal. Distance before speed will allow you to go further with less injuries.
  • mlb929
    Options

Awesome job - when is the next one planned for ?
  • wackynunu
    Options

If it's your first have - don't focus on a MPM or time goal - focus on a finish goal. Distance before speed will allow you to go further with less injuries.

Good to know. While I am running I focus on distance more than speed naturally since I kindof get lost in my thoughts/music. I just can't imagine running for 3 hours straight. I went from being 50/50 on signing up for the race to about 80% sure I am going to do it. So that's good. Honestly, if the race was at night, I would have no hesitation.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 miles today. Plan on 5 tomorrow, 3 Thurs and 12 Saturday. Training is going pretty good. I'm getting discomfort in between my outer ankle and heel area. I'm having to ice after I run. I'm also wrapping it. I am running at a slower pace and stretching good before and after. But it's not too bad I just have to baby it. Hope everyone else's training is going well.
  • wackynunu
    Options
    Skipped my run last night due to...insert lame excuse here... Everyone on this thread keeps me motivated though. I think I will only do a short interval run tonight after spin class since my long run is tomorrow morning. I definately need the stress relief.

Did I mention everyone here is AWESOME and I can't thank you enough. :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My tendon in my left foot is messed up from the six mile run the other day. Sometimes I just wish the things that were holding me back were related to strength and endurance rather than injury! I'm just so tired of having to rest after reaching a milestone! But I suppose that is what is holding me back, in a round-about sort of way. Gah.

Anyway, anyone have any races next week?!
  • mlb929
    Options
    Still doing a low key workout this week, it's killing me :) But good for my body. HipHop Ab Sculpt this Am. Just a minor change in routine from Insanity to HHAbs my obliques are sore already. My 12 yo really wants to run with me after work, so I promised him 3 miles through the fields with headlamps on. Well see how it goes :)

I just signed up for another half - in March. I plan on at least 2 in between now and then if I can find them and weather cooperates. If not I will keep maintaining a minimum 15 miles on long runs. I need to get signed up for the 10K my son wants to do, it's a trail run, not thrilled about it but will be OK with it.
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    Running through fields with headlamps on sounds like fun! I ran 5 miles this evening and my ankles did not hurt at all! Woo hoo! I didn't have to ace wrap or ice. It was very nice.
  • wackynunu
    Options
    7.2 miles today. Talked myself out of and back into getting up so I didn't get out as early as planned to make it longer. Still pretty happy with the distance, but it took me 105 minutes and about 5 of that was walking.

I looked up my running schedule from July and I was doing 2 minutes running for every 2 minutes walking for 38 minutes.
  • mlb929
    Options
    Did a great 5K run last night around the outside edges of the corn field. It was cool but not cold. I dressed perfectly. I thought I really nailed the speed then realized I was slower, but worked harder, as it was running on sand for all of the loop. Need to invest in a little better head lamp, this one didn't quite shine as well as I wanted.

I've asked for new headphone/ear buds for Xmas for running - as good pair. My current pair were around $15 and they make my ears hurt, to the point after I run, I can't put my hearing aides in, they hurt. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand, that have soft foam vs just a hard earpiece. Mine hook over my ears, which I like but they aren't adjustable. Any suggestions?

Today is "rest" day, I'm just physically really tired, up late and up early is catching up with me this week. Too old for short nights :)
  • mlb929
    Options
    7.2 miles today. Talked myself out of and back into getting up so I didn't get out as early as planned to make it longer. Still pretty happy with the distance, but it took me 105 minutes and about 5 of that was walking.

I looked up my running schedule from July and I was doing 2 minutes running for every 2 minutes walking for 38 minutes.

Awesome progress, you should be proud of yourself.
  • mlb929
    Options
    Running through fields with headlamps on sounds like fun! I ran 5 miles this evening and my ankles did not hurt at all! Woo hoo! I didn't have to ace wrap or ice. It was very nice.

Yeah for Pain Free!! I use a muscle rub like Ben Gay before I run on my free and calves, seems to counteract muscle soreness. It was suggested to me by a friend that runs and by my podiatrist.
  • wackynunu
    Options
    Did a great 5K run last night around the outside edges of the corn field. It was cool but not cold. I dressed perfectly. I thought I really nailed the speed then realized I was slower, but worked harder, as it was running on sand for all of the loop. Need to invest in a little better head lamp, this one didn't quite shine as well as I wanted.

I've asked for new headphone/ear buds for Xmas for running - as good pair. My current pair were around $15 and they make my ears hurt, to the point after I run, I can't put my hearing aides in, they hurt. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand, that have soft foam vs just a hard earpiece. Mine hook over my ears, which I like but they aren't adjustable. Any suggestions?

Today is "rest" day, I'm just physically really tired, up late and up early is catching up with me this week. Too old for short nights :)

Thank you. I like the headlamp idea. We use them when we go camping and I never thought to use them when I run. My husband bought the earbuds that go over your ears and I tried them and didn't like them. My $10 Sony pair kept slipping out of my ears so I use a small binderclip to keep them clipped to my bra so the cord doesnt bounce too much.
  • sharonsjones
    Options

Yeah for Pain Free!! I use a muscle rub like Ben Gay before I run on my free and calves, seems to counteract muscle soreness. It was suggested to me by a friend that runs and by my podiatrist.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    I ran 3 miles today still with no pain. Awesome!I should be ready to go sat for my 12 mile run. :happy:
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have run a few half marathons. Last one was this past Sunday. I am always interested in ideas for my running but to also contrbute for everyone's benefit. Can I join this group and how does this all work. Do you just keep looking for this topic and add thoughts when they come ?
    Many thanks
    Saka
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 miles today still with no pain. Awesome!I should be ready to go sat for my 12 mile run. :happy:

That's awesome! Good luck on your long run!