Fit For Future Families - September 2011

Options

Replies

• mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I used to lurk this board a few months ago under a different username, but I've been away and now I am back again with new motivation!

Seems a lot has happened since I've been going. For all those celebrating conception, congratulations! For all of those mourning losses, I give you my most heart-felt condolences. I cannot imagine what you've been through. From what I've read everyone on this board are very strong individuals and I admire all of you!

Where you live: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Job: Facility Cleaner with the Ministry of Government Services (Provincial Government)
    Length of time on the board: used to lurk but been away from MFP for a while.
    Marital Status: Married
    Length of time you've been with SO: 7 years, but we just celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary on Sept 11. :)
    Do you have kids: no
    Length of time TTC: approx 1 year
    Diagnosis: PCOS and possible insulin resistance
    Do you chart your BBT: no
    Do you use OPKs: no
    Are you on any meds for TTC: Metformin, Prenatal Vitamins, Maca, Prometrium (once every 3 months).
    Height: 5' 3"
    Weight: 278.8
    Goal Weight: 170
    Strange fact about yourself: My mom has always told me that the year I was born, there was no snow on the ground at all until the day I was born. Then there was a huge blizzard. LOL Story of my life? ;)
  • mrsjenfrank
    Options
    I know you guys have talked about those meds before, any pointers? Does anyone know about how long it might take me to get my period?

I take Prometrium and after my 10 days of pills, I usually get my period 3 or 4 days later.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Congrats Alisa and Smores!!!!!!!!!

A hardy welcome to the newcomers as well! You've found a great group here.

AFM - FINALLY lost a couple pounds but then sabotaged myself when my friend came over. She was really bummed and I wanted to cheer her up but I went to far, ate crap and drank too much so now I'm pissed at myself. Think I really gained 3 pounds? I don't think it's that bad, I bet all the salt and booze is making me retain water. Arg. So back on the horse again I guess. I don't have much motivation for exercise, I think I need to rest, my body is pretty angry at me. In the meantime I'm starting a blog about starting a family to keep me busy... I don't have much to say at the moment, I'm still in the early stages but at least it will be an outlet. That's it for now, ttyl!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Beth – can you yell at me to get me to the gym too?

Cupcake – I’m glad to see you back! How is business going? I’m sorry about the mass – do they know what it was? Is there a follow up protocol or anything? I can understand not wanting to go through too much in one month. I haven’t had an HSG but I’ve heard good and bad things about it. I did know this was PCOS month and next month is Infertility Awareness and Pregnancy Loss! Too bad we can’t put that on Facebook…

Karen – I hope this weigh in goes well for you! What day do you go? I have to admit I haven’t been back since my miscarriage and I’ve gained almost everything back, so today is my first day back to tracking a full day. I’ve started tracking days and not finished, so thanks to your inspiration I’m back! We should look each other up!

Stephanie – I’m glad to hear about the pool! Yay!!!! How often do you go? Also – you’re weight loss is going awesome!!!

GBOH – hugs. I’m sorry you’re having a rough time right now. You can vent and talk to us as much as you want or need – you know we’re here for you, always and no matter what.

Destiny – your little one is so cute!

Megga – yeah… I haven’t time to read all the posts let alone respond to them! School is keeping me super busy right now, and I’m only in 3 classes (Pharmacology, Crisis in Health Care, and Alzheimers). Our clinical starts on November 7th so all the classroom work needs to be done in advance of that. Oh the joy…
    I’m glad you got some meds to help AF move along. As for the Clomid my advice would be to take at night, before bed. That will lessen the bulk of the side effects. The side effects I have are: hot flashes, bloating, decreased cervical fluid, decreased uterine lining and emotional fits around O and before AF. What dose are you on?

Mrsjenfrank – welcome (officially)! You’re not the first person I know who has renamed themselves on here, but we welcome you under either name! Also – it’s great to have another Canadian on here! I’m from Halifax 

Kitty – I hate it when I do that! I self-sabotage too…. I’m one of those women who eat their emotions! I’m sure you can turn it around by Monday – that’s 4 whole days! I’ll check out the blog – I have one as well but haven’t updated it in a bit.

AFM – as I mentioned above, my schoolwork is keeping really busy and involved, so everything else is falling away a bit. But I’ve made a little time this week to enjoy some new television. New thing I love include:
    2 Broke Girls :heart: How I Met Your Mother (not new, still love it):happy: The Biggest Loser (no more Jillian but Anna Kournikova is in):happy: The Doctors – Now that Jillian has joined it’s gotten feisty! I’ve NEVER seen people argue with her to this extent and I love it!!:devil: And I’m looking forward to seeing Pan Am and Once Upon A Time, Dexter and Chuck. The fall always makes me a TV hog… otherwise it’s only used for sports! What did everyone think of the end of True Blood?

I’m back to Weight Watchers now, and haven’t been in a while and today is the first day. I need to find a new meeting time since school interferes with the one I was attending.

As for TTC I guess we’ll be trying the old fashioned way until the IVF in May. Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll stick.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

As for TTC I guess we’ll be trying the old fashioned way until the IVF in May. Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll stick.

I sure hope so! you deserve it!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop on and say Hi. I think I already said that I wouldn't be on much because i'm in CA with the family. I suppose my goal for the trip is to relax and enjoy myself and not beat myself up for eating way too much! It's only 5 days and I wont go crazy! Saturday we had a party for our nephews which was a ton of fun but EVERYONE from his family was asking when we're going to have kids. I wonder if my family will do the same. Anyway, baby dust to you all and I will try and catch up in a few days!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I decided to pamper myself tonight and gave myself a hot oil treatment.....I did my first weigh in this morning in MONTHS so here we go, starting again:

Week 1 (Sept 20): 245.8 lbs (I won't say how much of a gain that is.....YIKES!!!!!)

Goals for the week:
    1. Get up to 14 glasses of water a day
    2. No pop this week
    3. Eat at home at least 20 meals (including breakfast)
    4. Walk the dogs daily for at least 30 minutes
    5. Try and get at least 7 hours of sleep a night

I know that in just over two weeks, I'm going to get REALLY hormonal from the meds and will probably blow up like a balloon, so my goal for the first 2 weeks is to see a 5lb loss. I'd really like to be out of the 240s and have stable sugars again before we go for the IVF in a month. I have a few more meetings tonight before packing it in for the night. Tomorrow is girls night - notice I don't say Swim Club anymore? Our pool has been closed for 2 months for renovations but will open again in October. We've been scrapbooking (well actually, I'm making a large framed collage for the house in scrapbook fashion) and enjoying it but I'm really excited to go back to the pool!!!!!

Kitty - I have a FB group that I keep everyone updated. It's funny though. Today was my MILs birthday and so we called and her question was...."I'm confused....does that mean your pregnant" (telling them that we're holding off on the IVF because the hormones weren't right.....LOL Not sure how that translated into "I'm pregnant" but I guess they're just getting ready). DH and I did the math today, her younger brother is old enough to have a GREAT grandchild (his daughter is about 5 years older than us and her eldest is 20 so it isn't impossible) and her youngest sister is going to be a grandmother for the second time......I can see how they're anxious (my FIL has an older brother who has several great grandchildren). With DH as an only child, they're the only one of their generations without grandchildren :(

Jalara - I too enjoyed some of the new shows last night and am looking forward to a few today. I can't wait for Chuck though, it's definitely one of my favs......we'll see what happens tonight. I also loved 2.5 men with "Walden" I think they made a really good choice with Ashton Kutcher.

Guys - I haven't had time to catch up with everyone and I have to prep for my meeting with China. I will be back to do more lurking tomorrow though - I promise!
  • newleafbeth11
    Options
    Jalara: GO TO THE GYM!! ;) I can't wait for Once Upon A Time either. Do you know when it starts?? Fall makes me into a tv hog too! Different shows though... I watch Glee and Fringe and Doctor Who and Raising Hope... and I saw New Girl last night and that show is flipping hilarious. I also want to see Terra Nova really bad.

Welcome newbies. :)

Cupcake: That sounds like a ton of not fun. I hope you start feeling better and things look up soon! :)

AFM: I went to the gym today! Yay! I have to laugh at myself because I expend all of this energy dreading going to the gym and then I get there, it goes great and I feel great afterwards. I don't understand my brain sometimes. :-/ Oh. Weighed in... I'm up half a pound. :( So I guess it's good I went to the gym.
  • batgirlrox
    Options
    Well first and fore most...CONGRATS Alisa & Smores!!!!! The BFP's shine a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Welcome to all the newbies.

AFM- Well lately to say I was riding an emotional rollercoaster would be an understatement. Just when I think I'm "coping" with "life" something new gets thrown in and I feel like I'm coreening out of control again(hence why I've been so absent sorry).
    Life and work seem to be getting the better of me these days. I'm seriously considering going into my Dr. about something to get me out of this dark dark period although I don't really want to add another med to my reigm when I'm TTC. I have spoke to him before about it and he had suggested Vit. B supplements which seemed to help for quite some time. *sigh* Who knows...

On the TTC front, I had to have a repeat PAP on the 1st since my last one 6 months ago was the second of which to show abnormal cells. This one progressed to the next step, low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. So I am waiting to hear of a OB/GYN consult and a colposcopy with some biopsy to find out the extent. To add to the matter this has proven to be the second month without a positive OPK test :(
    Then we add the family pressure about TTC. I got a phone call on Tuesday from my aunt (who has been telling me for the last 2.5 years that I should come take all the baby stuff from her basement to save for mine. Now don't get me wrong handy-me-downs would be awesome if I was pregnant or had a little one but I don't right now.) Anyways she starts the conversation with
    "Well I know you're not pregnant yet but I've bought you an early baby shower present."
    Oh lovely ....NOT. So I reply with the answer.
    "Oh?"
    She continues with "I got you a baby furniture set, a crib, a dresser, and a change table."
    I reply sarcastically with "Oh the ones out of your basement?"
    She says "No I went out and bought you a totally new set. It's made from solid wood and really nice. I hope you guys like it. You should come down and pick it up (they live about 2 hours away.) You can take it home and set it up in what will be the nursery. It will be like encouragement. Hahahaha."
    :mad: :explode: :angry: :grumble: :noway:
    It took all I had to not snap on the phone. But I politely thanked her and quickly changed the subject to something else...camping this weekend with them in B.C.....
    While we were out their the baby talk continued and the constant pestering about not drinking any alcohol since I'm technically in teh 2ww period if I happened to O and it not show up on a OPK. My oldest cousin who is 7 asked "Amanda, Are you having a girl or boy?" ....So has my aunt been telling my 7 and almost 4 year old cousin that im pregnant or did she just pick that up from the new baby furniture that arrived at her house this week.... I explained to her that I WASNT pregnant yet and there was NO baby in my tummy. That just increased the down feeling. ..Iy yi yi.
    So anyways once I got home from that adventure I focused my energy on something more productive/positive( since the food and exercise boat has also left the building without me on it.) I looked into acupunture. As scary as it seems I think I'm going to try it. I also found a school that teaches it with a 3 year program for it(I've often thought of doing it but figured I needed to get up the courage to try it and see its benefits before I spent the time and money in the schooling. So maybe I'll be headed down a new adventure path soon.
    So for now I will focus on Friday when I'm getting 12 inches of hair chopped off to donate to children's cancer wigs and then going to a Keith Urban concert and an overnight in a hotel with my Hubby for our 6 month Anniversary.
    Baby dust to all! Ill try and be better at responding the next few weeks!
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry to hear so many of you are having a tough time and congrats to everyone picking themselves upo and getting back into it all! Amanda, your family situation sounds pretty rough, well done for keeping your cool!

I've been in the same sort of emotional roller coaster place as some of you recently. I'm tearful a lot of the time and just seem to have stress coming from every angle. The diet and exercise pretty much went out of the window for a while too so I'm easing my way back in. I've had no positive OPK's so I think my hope that once AF returned and I had (nearly) regular cycles again, everything would just fall into place was overly optimistic. I've decided to just spend the next couple of months getting back into the habit of good eating and regular exercise and then take a good look at it all again in the new year and maybe keep chsing my GP for answers. They haven't been interested so far and have just said to wait and see what happens.

I'm turning 30 in November and feel like I haven't achieved any of the things I'd hoped I would be then so it's got me down a bit. Also it's getting colder and darker already and that always makes me feel bleak.

Thanks for the space for a whine and moan guys, I'll try not to make a habit of it!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Wow--some of us are really down in the dumpies, aren't we? I know I've been feeling that way lately. Maybe it's the weather...or just the CRAPPY CURVEBALLS LIFE THROWS AT US. (Oooo, where did that come from? Breathe in, and out, in and out....). Haha.

Jalara--I'm not doing meetings--just WW online. I just don't think I can fit them in right now with childcare and all, and I don't have the cash for the meetings right now, so online it is. I"m enjoying the focus and control I'm feeling right now, so I've been doing pretty good, and right now I'm trying to decide what yummy dessert I want for my birthday on Sunday. I'm saving all my weekly points. So, weigh in may still stink on Monday morning the day after, but I"m going to go for it--it's my birthday, for pete's sake! Heehee. Get trackin girl!

Yeah....so about the clomid side effects....I have posted many a post on that from my three cycles of clomid back near the beginning of the year. You'll have to look them up if you are really interested in my first-hand experience. Long story short, I agree with everything Jalara said--and I'd add the emotional side effects on top of those. I was incredibly irritable, cranky, and in general short-tempered and hostile to whatever was in my line of sight. Namely my husband. Poor guy. Think Jekyll and Hyde. And I had no self-control. Namely around food. I call it clom-ID--my Id just comes out and runs rampant. No self-control.Take the pills in the evening...it really did seem to help this past cycle. And warn your significant other.

GBOH-This forum is all about the venting. It's really what this place is all about, in my opinion. It's supposed to be a safe place where we can commiserate and support each other. This is the safe outlet where we can get that stuff out of our system so we don't have to keep it locked inside, or spew it on others in our lives who are either tired of it, or aren't supportive, or whatever. I understand the weariness of the TTC struggle. I had the realization the other day that I am just really tired of trying. I"m not ready to quit yet, but it was a new realization that even though there would be lots of sadness and grief over not having the second child we want, there would also be physical and emotional relief once the choice is made to not continue treatment. I have this next cycle left in me. I don't know if I want to try a third after this next one. Hubs and I would have to talk about it. I don't want to miss my son's growing up, while trying to give him a sibling, and this secondary infertility just makes me perpetually distracted from life.

Pixie--I turn 33 on Sunday. I feel ya. But, I'm determined not to be one of those people who dreads their birthday--getting older is much better than the alternative. Haha. Chin up--your birthday is just a number. There is still time to achieve goals you set, and make new ones!

Okay--I can't remember what other thoughts I had. I've rambled on long enough, and work is waiting. Hope everyone has a good Thursday...

Karen
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    Where you live: western MA
    Job: lab technician & waitress
    Length of time on the board: a month, give or take
    Marital Status: married
    Length of time you've been with SO: it will be 7 years in November, we were married in May 2010
    Do you have kids: nope. just furbabies
    Length of time TTC: this is just the beginning
    Diagnosis: I'm healthy besides my weight. I've already lost almost 30 lbs!
    Do you chart your BBT: sometimes
    Do you use OPKs: i tried them this month
    Are you on any meds for TTC: nope
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 240
    Goal Weight: 165
    Strange fact about yourself: I have 207 bones :)
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Alisa and Smores- CONGRATULATONS!!!! Very excited for both of you! Sorry I was absent for the big announcement. But huge smiles :happy: It was pretty funny cause I finally logged on and saw that there were three pages since I had last posted. So I thought, “wow, I bet someone got lucky.” And then I saw BOTH of you got lucky! So excited for you! Praying it sticks

Stephanie- Yay for the pool :smile: I love swimming although I having gone recently. My gym doesn’t have a pool and I refuse to pay for the gym and the pool…:noway:

WELCOME to all the new people! I hope everyone that posted on the June thread found us.

AFM- SORRY, I’ve been absent! This week at school/work has been crazy. The honeymoon period is over and the kiddos are starting to test the boundaries to find out if they are where I said they are. Normal thing at the beginning of the year, but it means a lot of phone calls to parents. It’s so much nicer when they know I say what I mean and I mean what I say. Then on top of that our exchange student is being a total *kitten* so we told the coordinator she needed to find him a new placement- I’m not dealing with his bull**** and disrespect anymore. So he moves out tomorrow. We were going to get a new student on Saturday, but said we needed a break for a couple of months. My dad got into town last week and will be at our house for the next month. So it has just been insane.

Good news, I lost the 2 pounds I had put on so I’m back to 139.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sorry for everyone that is feeling down. I haven’t caught up on everyone’s’ posts but it sounds like we are all having a down week.

Bat girl- Sorry about everything. I can’t believe your aunt was so presumptuous. Have you told her what you’re going through? Or don’t tell her, but tell to back off! You are clearly a more patient person than I am because I probably would have told her I’m not interested in the furniture and hung up the phone on her.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the encouragement and understanding. i just feel so GRRRRRRRRR!!! and tense all the time. even the yoga isn't helping. hubby kept asking me why i was so cranky today (it's my oldest son's tenth birthday) and i was like 'i'm not cranky', but i must be or he wouldn't keep badgering me about it. i need to get back to a more moderate hormone replacement therapy or i'm going to explode.
  • mrsjenfrank
    Options
    Congrats Kitty on the loss! And don't beat yourself up over one splurge night. I am sure the damage isn't nearly as bad as you think it is (if there was any even at all!).

Jalara, thanks for the official welcome. hehe How do you like the new Weight Watchers (well it's not so new anymore... been around since January.)? I used to be a faithful WW girl but it's been nearly 2 years since I have gone to a meeting. I know things have changed since then. Do you find it easy to follow? oh! And good luck to you with the 'old fashioned' BDing! *sends baby dust*

Emily, I hope you're finding the relaxation you deserve on your vacation!

newleafbeth11 - I am the same way when it comes to the gym. I make excuses, but once I am there and have my workout completed I feel like a million bucks. lol Funny things our minds, aren't they??

batgirl - wow... lots more restraint than I would of had over the phone! I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know family tends to mean well most of the time, but jeez. Rough! ((hug))

pixie - what day in nov is your birthday? Mine is the 30th.

karen - incase I am not around on the weekend.... happy birthday!

luki - that's too bad about the exchange student being an *kitten*. you'd think people would be grateful for a place to stay when coming from another country and knowing no one. jeez! I just don't understand!

AFM - well today is my 3rd day of reduced carbs, and I have been having symptoms of Carb Withdrawl. It sucks so bad! Headache all day. The shakes, hot and cold flashes (like cold sweats) and I just in general felt real funny. Plus, I am STARVING and I have actually ate a fair bit today. Managed to make breakfast (which I usually skip) and get a few extra servings of veggies in at suppertime. :) Also, I forgot to put my pedometer on for work tonight... I like to wear it there to see exactly how many steps/miles I am putting on. Oh well, tomorrow will be a better day!

I managed to convince my boss to allow me to take time off work to go to the emotional/stress eating support group meetings being put on at my doctors clinic. My nutritionist suggested it to me, and I really want to attend. It's an hour and a half session once a week for 6 weeks. I figured I'd only end up using 1.5 days of 'medical leave' sick time over the six week period, which isn't too bad. The support group is called Craving Change. I am pretty excited about it. $35 to register, but I figure that's chump change if it can help me find some ways to control my eating. The first session is Oct 5th.

I go back to my nutritionist on Oct 3rd. Hoping to have had some weight loss by then. That same day I also go to my family doctor for a follow up. I am thinking I need my metformin dose bumped up a bit. Been on this same dose for a year and still gaining weight very easy. And still no period on my own either. Also, I had talked with one of the other doctors in the clinic, and also the nutritionist and they both seem to think I should get tested for Gluten Intollerance. So when I go to this appointment, I want to see if my doctor will test me. I have a lot of the symptoms, so if its not a gluten intollerance, I dunno what is wrong with me. LOL

Hugs and baby dust to everyone!
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Mine's the 26th so on a saturday yay! Happy birthday for the weekened Karen.

Shame about your student Luki, you seem to have had such positive experiences before it's a real shame to have a difficult one. Enjoy the break and time with your dad though. Congrats on the 2 pounds!

Your group sounds really good MrsJ, let us know how you get on.

AFM - AF arrived today, right on cue which is good but with a lot of cramps which is not so good. I have a long car journey today and have been getting sciatica twinges all week so not looking forward to that so much. Sort of funny story - my OH managed to drop my prenatals into our large, oustide bin after the cat knocked them into the waste paper bin. He went to get them out for me which is great as I can keep taking them without having to shop for more. Unfortuately he didn't think to tip the bin, just reached over it and has hurt all his ribs in the process so no BD till he feels better anyway! Silly men:laugh:

(It doesn't seem so bad today and he's moving ok so it's nothing too serious thankfully)
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    pretty sure I just got a bfp. omgoodness....!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Meggamix- So glad your appt went well. Its so nice when you leave a doctor's office feeling good and reassured. Good luck with the new meds!

MrsJen- Welcome back! That support group sounds great! Hope you have fun and learn a lot!

Kitty- I'm the same way! I feel like I've been gaining and losing the same couple pounds over and over again lately. Good luck with the blog. I just recently took mine down. No time!

Jalara- We love t.v. this time of year! We're trying Ringer (my hubby and I both loved Buffy!), Dancing with the Stars, and The X Factor. Oh and Kitchen Nightmares too! We're kind of obsessed with Gordon Ramsey lol. Good luck with Weight Watchers!

Karen- Happy early birthday! :flowerforyou:

Pam- Great goals! Especially the water. I need to work harder on that one.

Batgirl- OMG! I totally couldn't deal with that conversation with your Aunt if I was in your shoes. You're a toughie! Thats awesome about your hair cut. I've donated my hair twice- a total of 27 inches.

Luki- Congrats on the loss! That stinks about your exchange student though. Sounds like you've got a lot going on! My mom is a 1st grade teacher and the beginning of the school year is always chaotic and hectic for her. And me because I always seem to be the helper :laugh:

Kdet- That's awesome! Congrats!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    mrsjenfrank - I totally did, gained 2lbs. How is that possible?!!?! Arg. That support group sounds awesome! So glad you get a chance to try it.

thedestar - Isn't it the worst, sometimes I feel like I'll never get anywhere. One "bad" day and I can undo the progress of the last 2 weeks! Ya I can see that a blog can be time consuming, we'll see how it goes, so far I don't have a whole lot to say, I'm really in this "inbetween" time right now. Sort of a holding pattern just waiting for life to happen. I'm sure I'll have lots to say if I get knocked up!

kdet - AWESOME!!!!! You better come back and confirm!!

Pixie - LMAO! Guys are so ridicules, haha. They can be good for a laugh sometimes!

godblessourhome - those hormones sound brutal! *hugs*

AFM: Nothing, just battling these 2 pounds I gained from that one day earlier this week. I don't see how I could possibly have gained 2 lbs from one night but obviously I did. Still really mad at myself and now the weekend is here again and we have a BBQ tonight! Grr. Also totally freaking out about the "timing" of a family. DH's work/school/flying schedule has really reared it's ugly head this last week so now I see just how hard it's going to be for the next few years. I put the whole thing in a post on my blog. So torn, DH has so much to look forward to but he's going to be so busy and what do I have? My weight problem and work. Awesome.