Burn The Belly

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting! I hear similar theories from people who are "primal" dieters, but many of them get hostile when defending their diets and can't back it up with unbiased, scientific knowledge. Some quote a few articles and such that seem interesting, but the discussions always bring up hostile reactions and they start spouting their diagnosis of why people are fat and blame it all on what they call "leaky gut syndrome." The silly name and hostility always lead me to disregard them. I never actually criticize their diet choice, but many of the followers (not all) blindly follow the diet and can't really give a thorough explanation, and I need cold hard facts to make a drastic lifestyle choice like that! Many of them claim to follow the primal diet, but are actually using some perverse version of the Atkins diet which I do not like at all.

Is it all grains that are supposed to cause this problem or only wheat? I'd be willing to try it possibly.

I know nothing more about this, but I'm interested too, although again like you, I'd like more evidence. I've come across a theory before that humans did not evolve eating grains, so they are problematic for us. But wheat is particularly difficult for humans to digest because it is a relatively late crop in our existence, so our bodies simply haven't adapted to it as well as they have to other crops.

A few years ago a nutritionist put me on a very strict regime, and of all the foods that was prohibited (there were many), wheat was the most difficult to cope with because our food culture is so wheat-based. I hadn't realised before then just how much we consume. I'm sure the same is true in the US. I did feel an awful lot better on the regime, but I don't know how much was the absence of wheat and how much other things. Now I don't think I'd have much of a problem cutting it out, as a lot of things have gone out of the window through MFP anyway.

Let's investigate further! :smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    @Armaretta (and anyone else interested) - this book seems to present scientific research about wheat and fat generally, but I don't think there's anything specific about the belly:
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/why-wheat-makes-you-fat/

A few other things I've found:

Here's an interesting study that showed that eating whole grains instead of refined means you lose more abdominal fat.
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20080225/whole-grains-fight-belly-fat

This article refers to a study which suggests that vigorous aerobic exercise is better for losing visceral fat (i.e. between your organs inside your abdomen) than strength training:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat?page=3

That's all for now. :smile:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    @Armaretta (and anyone else interested) - this book seems to present scientific research about wheat and fat generally, but I don't think there's anything specific about the belly:
    http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/why-wheat-makes-you-fat/

A few other things I've found:

Here's an interesting study that showed that eating whole grains instead of refined means you lose more abdominal fat.
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20080225/whole-grains-fight-belly-fat

This article refers to a study which suggests that vigorous aerobic exercise is better for losing visceral fat (i.e. between your organs inside your abdomen) than strength training:

That's interesting. Right now I am about 50/50 on whole grains to refined. I know where the bulk of my refined grains come from: when I eat baked goods. And when I go out to eat for rice. I tend to have white rice or refined pasta. Probably because few places offer whole grain. At home I am much better. But I still buy white rice, for some dishes brown rice seems all wrong. I have found an interesting rice that has been a good substitute for white rice, so I am gradually finishing up my supply of white rice and aiming not to replenish it. Unfortunately, white rice lasts a lot longer than brown rice.

The substitute: bamboo rice. It is the color of green tea, and has a slightly grassy taste, pale green color and lots of fiber. I find it in the bulk section of my "natural foods" stores. Check it out.

Hmm, it would be great to get my visceral fat measured! Right now, my cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and triglycerides are super low to normal (blood pressure and glucose are the highest measurements for me, but they are safely in the normal range).

Oh well, looks like our efforts to burn the belly will help in lots of ways. Physically and health wise. :)
  • jadedone
    Options
    How interesting! http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20101007/belly-fat-is-key-to-u-s-diabetes-risk

Apparently our British counterparts have smaller waists than we do (assuming everyone on this thread is from the US). For they typical woman over 40, it is 5cm (~2 inches). This also explains to me why British clothing fits so much different than american clothing. (I have been ordering stuff from a few British sites over the past year or 2, since they have some excellent options for people around 16-22 US. They are definitely cut smaller in the waist than the typical American brand)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

YAY! It's good to have it confirmed I'm not killing myself doing Insanity for nothing lol!
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    How interesting! http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20101007/belly-fat-is-key-to-u-s-diabetes-risk

Apparently our British counterparts have smaller waists than we do (assuming everyone on this thread is from the US). For they typical woman over 40, it is 5cm (~2 inches). This also explains to me why British clothing fits so much different than american clothing. (I have been ordering stuff from a few British sites over the past year or 2, since they have some excellent options for people around 16-22 US. They are definitely cut smaller in the waist than the typical American brand)

At least 3 of us, including myself, are from the UK.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

YAY! It's good to have it confirmed I'm not killing myself doing Insanity for nothing lol!

Yes, I thought of you when I read that one! :laugh:

P.S. I'm from the UK.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yuck I know whole wheat is better but I can't get past the taste :( oh well. Which my bf and I bought some brown rice this weekend and at some point will make it. Last time I made some I hated it but willing to give it another go. I didn't workout Friday due to my bf didn't work and we went grocery shopping together and then chilled the rest of the day. So I forced myself to do a workout today which was a kickboxing one, burnt 434 so not bad at all. Sorry I can't comment about any of those diets cause I know nothing of them.
  • jadedone
    Options

:)

I am making a wild assumption that jeans with the gapping problem are less prevalent.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    There's also me and Frannswaz from UK too!

So yes, I'm back ladies, 10 days away and you all disappear into a new thread! I won’t take it personally.

Anyway the wedding went great, and it was so lovely to spend a whole week with my closest family and friends. I’ll put some pics on my profile later.

Now. I’ve made a discovery. The key to weight loss- eat what you want for 10 days (including masses of carbs, wheat and a fair amount of holiday booze:drinker: ), walk a LOT (it was hard to keep up with everyone spread out over the holiday resort!), walk around Paphos a lot, go diving/swimming then don’t sit down for a whole day to avoid creasing a wedding dress!!!!

I lost a pound, and i’m far too ashamed to admit what I ate.... got some good leg muscles too! Maybe i was in starvation mode??
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    There's also me and Frannswaz from UK too!

So yes, I'm back ladies, 10 days away and you all disappear into a new thread! I won’t take it personally.

Anyway the wedding went great, and it was so lovely to spend a whole week with my closest family and friends. I’ll put some pics on my profile later.

Now. I’ve made a discovery. The key to weight loss- eat what you want for 10 days (including masses of carbs, wheat and a fair amount of holiday booze:drinker: ), walk a LOT (it was hard to keep up with everyone spread out over the holiday resort!), walk around Paphos a lot, go diving/swimming then don’t sit down for a whole day to avoid creasing a wedding dress!!!!

I lost a pound, and i’m far too ashamed to admit what I ate.... got some good leg muscles too! Maybe i was in starvation mode??

Hello Mrs - you're back! Yippee! it all sounds wonderful! :drinker: Can't wait for the pics.

I must say, I like the sounds of that weight loss regime. :laugh: Don't think you can go into starvation mode that quickly - maybe you were eating too little before???

So are you straight back to work now? Do you feel different being married?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    A couple more interesting articles:

Fristly, if anybody is feeling low on motivation to work on that belly, pay heed to the dire warnings coming out of recent research! http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2010/August/taking-aim-at-belly-fat

Secondly, a non-academic but sensible article which explains the idea of 'skinny fat' quite well.
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

I've been wondering if I am skinny fat, but now I know I am still just a bit fat! My body fat percentage is around 27%, which is far too high. I think I still have a lot of work to do.

Onward and upward! :bigsmile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

:)

I am making a wild assumption that jeans with the gapping problem are less prevalent.

You mean at the waist? I have room in my jeans waist, I always have to wear a belt otherwise they start falling down, whereas they always fit well around my thighs!!:grumble: I had wondered if my thighs were too big, but it's reassuring to hear I don't suffer this problem alone lol!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Hey gals! I haven't posted in a few days. I've been terribly busy with work and such! I've been running my little heart out lately. It seems like it's a lot easier than it used to be. This is possibly due to the fact that I have less weight to carry than I used to. I'm definitely seeing that I have to work much harder to burn the same amount of calories! A non-scale victory today. I was 129.6 this morning! I finally broke out of the 130s! It will probably fluctuate up and down a pound or two during the rest of the week, but it's the first time the scale has been below 130! I'm going to try to behave myself extra hard the rest of this week. Last week was a little too splurgy. I"m glad the scale isn't punishing me too much for it.

Friday I burned 500. Yesterday, I burned 305. I'm going to push for a big burn today. The husband made the most delicious coconut, chocolate chip pancakes ever. Now, I must pay for it! Oddly enough, pancakes have almost as much sodium as the bacon I thought I was splurging on! It must be the baking soda and baking powder used to make them fluffy. I'll take care to be low sodium the rest of the day and drink plenty of water!

With the differences in sizes between the UK and US, I think the US is worse about vanity sizing than the UK. The average american's size has been slowly growing the past several decades, and the clothing companies have been changing their sizes to match. A US size 10 fifty years ago is probably a US size 8-6 now. That would put those sizes about on par with UK sizes. I think US diets are probably heavier in protein and fat in general too. It would be interesting to see something comparing the average amount of muscle mass and body fat % between US and UK.
  • jadedone
    Options

You mean at the waist? I have room in my jeans waist, I always have to wear a belt otherwise they start falling down, whereas they always fit well around my thighs!!:grumble: I had wondered if my thighs were too big, but it's reassuring to hear I don't suffer this problem alone lol!

Yup! That's exactly it. Jeans fit perfectly everywhere but the waist. Depending on the brand, for me it can vary from 1 inch to 4. Such a pain!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    OK, I have a new plan. Check it out and tell me what you think:

Sorry, just decided against my own plan, but couldn't delete it because MFP won't let you have a blank post!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jadedone
    Options

With the differences in sizes between the UK and US, I think the US is worse about vanity sizing than the UK. The average american's size has been slowly growing the past several decades, and the clothing companies have been changing their sizes to match. A US size 10 fifty years ago is probably a US size 8-6 now. That would put those sizes about on par with UK sizes. I think US diets are probably heavier in protein and fat in general too. It would be interesting to see something comparing the average amount of muscle mass and body fat % between US and UK.

Regardless of number, it seems that UK sizes are more likely to have 10 in between waist and hips, but US clothing it is more like 8in.

So lets say a US dress, it would be measured something like 38-32-40 and the in the UK brand it would look more like 38-30.5-40.
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

Sorry, just decided against my own plan, but couldn't delete it because MFP won't let you have a blank post!

What's the plan for?!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

What's the plan for?!

I was seriously considering getting much more into weight training, with the help of 'The new rules of lifting for women'. In theory, it would be a good thing to do, but I forgot about the practical implications; I realised I would need to keep a bench and bars in the living room. It's bad enough with the mat and weights, so I decided it would be a step too far to turn the place into a gym. Embarrassed now, that I didn't think of it before. :blushing:
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did 5 miles of walking doing Leslie Sansone so burned 632 and so far today did 30ds lvl1 followed by 2 more miles with a total of 501. Not sure if I will do anything else today I need to do another one but not sure if I have the energy, lol.