Right age to get married??

Options

Replies

• smccarron1
    smccarron1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, and ready to get married. I've finished college, I'm in grad school part-time, I have a career, and more importantly, I live with the man I know without a shadow of a doubt that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I don't think it's age, it's when you're prepared. Some people never are, and some are at 18. When you find the right person, you know.

Agreed! Well said :0)
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'll be 28 in October and I finally feel like I'm ready for marriage. Been with my man friend for a year now, but we're in no rush. No desire to have kids either. We're too selfish for that business:)
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    For me, I can't give you an age because it depends on a persons maturity level. I am 24 turning 25 in a few months and I am married. I know a lot of people my age and older that just don't act very mature :-\
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm 34, and I'm SO glad I never got married. Anyone I would have married would have been an absolute mistake. I do plan to go ahead and take the plunge in the next couple of years or so. I found someone who really fits me. It's funny, but it took finding him to see just how mistaken I was about every other relationship that I'd had that I thought was good enough for marriage.

I say that if you're not yet over 30, don't. Seriously. If you've found THE person and all that, then it's not a big deal to wait. If you really are right for each other, neither of you is going anywhere. If you find, like I did, that you were mistaken about this person's suitability, then you'll have saved yourself a lot of problems.

I guess maybe it's different if you choose to have kids, though.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Got married at 22. I'm 32 now and I'd say I am still not ready for marriage! haha

No really, I think around 30 would had been good. The 20's were all about self discovery and growing pains and sometimes that's not very fun. Alot of mistakes were made because of immaturity. If I could do it all over, I would had waited.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well I am 21 and I have been with my hubby for 3 years and have a daughter with him. But we are really not married legally we are trying to save money first before we get married. But we love each other and we know what our plans are. I think it is different for every body.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 19, and I know it's a little silly, but I'm waiting for him to pop the question. However, I could also see myself in a long (year or more) engagement.

I know that I love the man I'm with enough to marry him this instant, or wait 5 years. I highly doubt that will change over time (call me naive, sure.)

Yup, kinda the same. I'm 19, been with my boyfriend for over 4 years, and currently living together and things are great. We just seem so compatible and we just get along so well and I love him so much. And honestly all I've ever wanted was to get married and have kids. I LOVE kids. Absolutely LOVE taking care of kids. I don't mind staying at home and doing the housework. Honestly, I'd happily marry him right now if he proposed. Though don't think it'll happen for a few years, but ideally I'd love to get married around 22/23 and have kids around 25 or younger. I have a condition that means I might not be able to have kids...my mom has it and it took her 5 years to get pregnant with my older brother and I don't want to take that long. I want to be a younger mother so I don't want to get married and wait five years before trying for kids.

And some people say it wouldn't hurt to wait but for me...to wait longer might mean I'll never have kids and if I couldn't have kids I would totally adopt but I really want at least one kid of my own. I have babysat since I was 12 and I love it no matter how annoying the kids were, or when I was holding a screaming baby in the middle of the night and I know it'd be hard but I really want a family.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Got married at 22. I'm 32 now and I'd say I am still not ready for marriage! haha

No really, I think around 30 would had been good. The 20's were all about self discovery and growing pains and sometimes that's not very fun. Alot of mistakes were made because of immaturity. If I could do it all over, I would had waited.

I completely agree!! I am 27 now got married when I was 23. I definately do not regret my amazing daughter but I would/should have waited on the getting married part.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I got married at 22. We had already been together for a little over 4 years before he proposed. I absolutely think it depends on the individuals. As far as I'm concerned, if you know you're going to "eventually" get married, why wait?
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    P.S.: Marriage doesn't mean babies for everyone. :) And certainly not immediately. It always boggled my mind how people get married and instantly pop out kiddos. Don't you want to enjoy your marriage, kid-free, for at LEAST a year or two?

I wanted to wait 5 years.
    He didn't want to wait at all.

Thankfully I gave in, otherwise I'd not have my children. We divorced after 6 years. lol

I am also the perfect example of what not to do!
    I was 25 when I married.
    I've already told my daughter she has to be 30 with a masters degree
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I got married when I was 18. We had a baby 4 years later. And then another baby 6 years after that. We have been married for 12 1/2 years now.
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    Everyone has a different view of what marriage is, making each persons 'right' age different. There is no perfect age - it's when both are ready to take the commitment seriously. I married at 22 after dating my husband for only 7 months and we will celebrate 20 years next month. I also got pregnant on the honeymoon with our first child, and now we have 4. Would I change it? No. We knew exactly what we wanted and went for it!!
  • livnlite
    Options
    I've seen some people more mature at 18 - 20 yrs than some at 30 - 40 yrs old. So, really, age is irrelevant. I think mind set, ability to commit and the fortitude to keep those attributes is key. Long Term commitment requires some level of maturity.

More often than not, people get caught up with the concept of marriage and a happy Cinderelli ending, yet end up in divorce over suuuuch stupid and juvenile issues. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a relationship where two people were soooo in looooove dive bombs after the realization "Ah, crap .. this is going to last for the rest of my life .. Pfffttt! WHAT WAS I THINKING? I can do better than THIS!"
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This is what I think about marriage. But everyone got their views, and opinions. But I think when a person is mature, actually love one another, ready for the next level, being serious, and commited than I think they're ready to get married other than that. I don't see if a person is immature getting married, and still wants to go out ,and be loose. (Yes I know married couples go out, and party which is fine.) But being mature about it. I hope I am saying this correctly.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is no RIGHT age. I never planned to get married as young as I did but I found the right guy and because he is military we got married quick (after 6 months of dating) and I moved away with him. We have been together for 7 yrs and are as happy as can be. We now have 2 kids , a dog and just bought our first home. I am only 29 now and got married at 23 he is younger then me by 2 years. I think it really depends on the person in my opinion. BUT i have to say its also diff in the military life for some reason everyone gets married a lot earlier then most lol
  • elliecolorado
    Options
    For me, the right age is never. Personally I don't see any reason to ever get married.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was engaged at 23 but we didn't make it to the alter. I had always imagined the perfect age to be 27 or 28 to get married, then to have kids a couple of years later. Well, life doesn't always work as planned. I didn't find Mr. Right until I was 38 and feel very, very lucky and blessed that I was able to have 2 healthy children shortly after. There were a lot of frogs between 23 and 35 (when I met my future husband).

The right person doesn't necessarily pop up when you reach your perfect age to get married.

I can guarantee you that I would've been divorced if I had been married before age 25. I was definitely not ready and neither was he. I think age depends on the couple's relationship, maturity, and goals. If someone is in college or going to college, I think that ideally, they should be finished with college and working a while.

But like I said, life doesn't always go as planned, thankfully, because my life is so much better than I ever would've imagined.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Married at 22, together since we were just about 17 though (were friends a year prior to that, and engaged when we were 20)...now, we're divorcing (28 now, will probably be 29-30 when it's final). I would have waited a lot longer. To be honest, I'm not the kind of person who should have EVER been tied down to one person. We do have three beautiful sons though, so I don't regret it. Even having a relationship isn't on my mind at this point, so I can't really answer this question. It probably varies person to person.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It depends on the people.
    I'm about to get married next year & I'll be 24, he'll be 20.
    When you find the right guy, why wait?
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    haha what is your opinion??

I personally think it depends on individuals.... for me....right age would be around 27 when I've grown career wise.....

I'm 23 years old and marriage is the last thing on my mind!! I want to do so much before I want to think about nappies and screaming babies!!! I want to get myself ahead in my career and travel the world...perhaps do doctors without borders in Nigeria and go party in Ibiza!!! When I see people my age with 3 kids who are like 6 years old I can’t help but wonder....why people get hitched so young??

It depends on individuals ofcourse. But help me understand it.....None of my friends my age are married....but a lot of people on here seem to be married at a very young age from what I’ve noticed!! So maybe you guys will help me gain an insight into the situation!

:D

out of curiosity, how are you in your final year of med school and you're only 23?

i will not be accepting any other answer than you are the female version of doogie hauser(sp?), or you live in an underdeveloped foreign country where professional degrees are sold over the counter