Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OK, let's talk

Replies

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    You know what else you should incorporate, honesty, an ignore button.

Please. Ignore button!

We're definitely looking at an ignore button. Need to explore the technical issues around it but it's on our to-do list.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    You know what else you should incorporate, honesty, an ignore button.

Please. Ignore button!

We're definitely looking at an ignore button. Need to explore the technical issues around it but it's on our to-do list.

Wooo hooo!!!! Awesome! I love it!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    It's really gotten out of hand it seems, you'd think this place was made up of a bunch of horny 16 year olds the way some people act!

Thank you for this site!! It's been so great for my weight loss
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Thank you for being clear and consise in your explanation. . You really have created a great site here and agreed. . . It would be fun to be able to have group rooms where we can talk about some of the things that we can't talk about on the main forums

Such as you said being flirtatious, or to be able to have rooms where we can talk about being a Christian. . . and how it plays out with our fitness jouney. .

or vegans and vegetarians. . it is great to embrace diversity and it is also great to be able to find others that have similar views to your own. . .

Thanks for all your hard work in this matter.. so that we can all get back to having fun together and getting healthy~
  • Will groups be similar to google+ circles?

That would solve alot of problems
  • notebooksecrets
    notebooksecrets Posts: 36 Member
    Hey Mike,

First, thankyou for the site, and thankyou mods for giving up their time. This site is an incredible tool that's helping to change many people's lives.

I appreciate that you try to keep non-controversial topics off the agenda, such as politics, because of the flaming that comes from it, and I appreciate that the groups option will be coming soon so that a wider range of topics can be discussed by those who wish to.
    The thing that I do still take issue with, however, is:
    In the main forums, the rules are designed to try to keep content and posts in a range where we think almost everyone will be comfortable. This way, the forums can help the most people possible

^ with regards to the blanket ban on talk of sexuality. By banning talk of LGBTQ people so that others can feel 'comfortable' is, purposefully or not, active discrimination. I do appreciate your reasoning behind the rule, honestly I do - no one likes to be bullied because of their sexual identity, and I know it makes the mods' lives easier. However, by banning open talk of LGBTQ in order to make some people feel more 'comfortable' is bowing down to homophobia and punishing the wrong group of people.

As I said, I understand your reasoning, but I really think that this rule is the wrong way to go about things.

(Sorry I'm sounding like a broken record lately, it just gets my goat)

Anywho, keep up the rest of the good work.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I've been a member on this site for 2+ years. Thank you for everything that you do!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Thanks for posting this Mike. It is completely in line with the others posts you've made. I know you have a huge responsiblity with so many people on this site.

I respect that you owned the mistakes. I only wish you might have posted this sooner. I think some people felt singled out, and/or that topics were being selectively moderated. It's been a rough couple of days. In my opinion, I think you erred on the side of trying not to offend anyone. I can understand that approach, but it's not always the right choice, and can end up having unintended effects. It is your site, though, and your choice to make.

Lots of different personalities on here. I wish more people would move just a *little* bit toward the middle (one side less eager to poke, the other side less eager to get offended at the poke). But alas, that may never happen. We needs stuff to get worked up about I suppose. ;)

It sounds like a solution is in the future. What is the ETA on Groups?
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Thank you, Mike! Thank you for providing this site for FREE and working so hard to bring the community together in compromises about the forums. I hope you don't feel like your job is thankless. There are so many people's lives that you've helped to change and people who are very grateful for it.

I like the ideas you have going and are working on for separating out the forums for different groups in the future. Thank you for continually making MFP a great place to be.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    i love this site and i think the groups sound great! thanks for taking the time to open a dialogue.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    So glad you are moderating discussions. This is a fantastic site, and has made a HUGE difference in my getting healthy. I have noticed lately that there are some discussions that get a little carried away, either with degrading comments, hurtful responses, a little too much sex and the profile pictures are getting too racey for general audiences. Keep up the great work Mike!! You are doing an amazing thing for many people out there!!! :bigsmile:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    You know what Mike... I am going to derail this thread full of awesome and just say...

THANK YOU! Thank you for creating this website! Thanks to this website I have been able to lose over 19lbs and I can call myself fat on the forums without having people judging me (That sounded like an infomercial, eh /shrug). Funfackingtastic!!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Thank you for this site, and this! I don't know any other website as big as MFP is growing to that would still get a "face to face" (well as face to face as you can online LOL), like this. It is great that you take the time out of your day to clear the air and set things right.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Thanks for the time you are putting in to make this site a place where we all want to be.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    We've seen members trying to push the limits of our sexual content rules, making thinly veiled sexual references and always trying to push the line

Guilty as charged...sorry...i need to focus more on weight loss. I do love the idea of groups for like minede people!!!. Great site, great work. Keep it up!!! (not a thinly veiled attempt....) :wink:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Thank you for this talk. I do have to say the members pod this site have responsibility in how it runs too. Too many times an opinion that is slightly different than the poster gets accusations of bullying. The adults on this site need to act as such and stop.getting so upset at the tiniest things. Mods or yourself shouldn't have to be babysitters for the while group.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Groups is a step forward...like it. Thanks for posting this Mike.

We are all supposed to be adults on here...and frankly whether people like it or not..if you provide a forum for people to interact with each other...people will interact. And crap happens.

Self moderating groups is a fantastic idea. Lots of people read topics in the forum that are clearly not about weight loss. They go and read it anyway "knowing full well" they are going to be offended and then report it. That's the nature of a little pandering to political correctness.

I love the site...BUT i also love my friends and if my friends leave because the part of the site they enjoyed has changed dramatically...then I started wondering where it stops.

Thanks for the explanation.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Hey, just an idea. How about making one of those pages that you have to read with the rules and then CLICK that you agree? Most sites do this and then you can be more assured folks KNOW there are rules.

Perfect idea :)
    I would add that in the formation/joining of future groups this be mandatory for every one you join. Not just one time.
  • I'm not a computer wiz at all or anything, and I realize that mods don't have the time to inbox everyone every time they delete a thread, but would be nice if there was some sort of automatic way for them to message everyone on a thread with a brief (like one sentence) explanation of why a thread got deleted.

I was commenting in a thread the other day about BMR rates and it got vanished, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom. Nothing about politics, race, religion, sex. Lots of disagreement going on, but no personal attacks that I can remember.

If we were notified why it got deleted (e.g. too many descriptions of purple elephants) and the rationale was legitimate, I think we'd probably correct our behavior.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    Awesome site!!! great job!!!!!!