Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OK, let's talk

Replies

• foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Mike,

Just as the others have stated, I am grateful for this site. I dont know if I would have been as dedicated to the weight loss process without it. With that being said, I think things have gotten out of hand the last few weeks but by both sides of the "sex chat" isle. I am a firm believer that if you don't like something, you have the freedom to not partake. I think complaing about others partaking in sexual conversations but seeking them out is like saying you hate alcohol but show up at a bar and complain that beer is being served. I hardly ever take part in the community portion, but when I do, if i see a title and feel offended by it, I don't enter it. I don't log on and then act offended. I hope you can see how some became upset when it appeared that you were reprimanding some for "stalking"and not the others. I hope your clarrification clears the air.

Just my two cents
    Dave

Very good points here. Though the 'groups' sound like a lovely idea, I don't see how they would be any different than the 'chit-chat, fun, and games' topic. For people so easily offended, that preach about this being a fitness site and not a blah blah blah whatever, it would be so easy if they just DO NOT CLICK ON THE THREAD. To me, what the heck is an additional 'group' going to have going for it that 'chit-chat, fun, and games' does not? Save yourself the time, and just put the "I agree to these rules" checkbox above the chit-chat. Make it 'user beware'. Because those that are easily offended or don't agree with certain posts will sure as heck find something to complain about in the group section, and you'll wind up with the same problems you have now. Instead of trying to purge the site of any impurity, I think it would be much easier to flat out say "don't go under this topic - if you do, do so at your own risk and quit your complaining."
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    First, Mike, thank you for explaining and taking the time to discuss this with everyone, I know this whole situation has got to be a serious pain in the tush for you.

Has it occurred to anyone though, that by trying to "mave everyone feel comfortable" you are actually making a very large group "uncomfortable" by making them unable to say anything at all without fear of repercussions? Just because a person does not personally like something, does not mean that [whatever it is they don't like] is actually bullying or innapropriate.
    Like you said, there are plenty of topics I'm uncomfortable with, I choose not to discuss them. So you say you disagree with the "just don't read it" idea, I get that, I guess. But it is ridiculous that people are reporting posts constantly, just because they personally don't like what's being discussed/the way it's being discussed/the person discussing it. It's simply not fair.
    And, tbh, I don't see how making a 'groups' feature will help this. Example: someone posts a question about HCG in the main forums, someone responds with "that's not a good idea," now the OP is upset because that's not the answer they wanted, and they 'report post' as bullying, and here we are again, back at square one. There just needs to be alot more personal responsibility, and grown-up behavior, from BOTH sides of this argument.

So a couple of notes on this:

- First, if someone is respectfully disagreeing with someone, then even if it's reported, we won't take action. Just because a post is reported doesn't mean that we do anything about it. We first make sure that the post actually breaks a rule. And simply disagreeing with someone wouldn't violate a rule.

Now, if you said "you're an idiot for taking HCG.", that'd be a post we would act on.

There are a lot of rumors going on about suspensions, bans, etc. But we have not banned anyone for the issues that have been going on recently, we've issued a handful of warnings, and we have only issued one suspension. For the one suspension, the member in question self-reported themselves to us, although we were already aware of their post, and at least seemed to agree that a suspension was warranted.

We're not tyrants, and we're not trying to make sure people only post the 3 sentences we allow on the site. But we are working hard to make sure that the environment stays safe and supportive for everyone. I think if you actually knew what actions were being taken, you'd find that there is a great deal of restraint vs. some kind of "mods going wild" behavior.

The one exception to that is that I've deleted a lot of topics recently. I mainly was trying to keep the drama off the forums, and clearly that didn't work. But no suspensions were issued other than the one I mentioned.
  • Mike

Very good points here. Though the 'groups' sound like a lovely idea, I don't see how they would be any different than the 'chit-chat, fun, and games' topic. For people so easily offended, that preach about this being a fitness site and not a blah blah blah whatever, it would be so easy if they just DO NOT CLICK ON THE THREAD. To me, what the heck is an additional 'group' going to have going for it that 'chit-chat, fun, and games' does not? Save yourself the time, and just put the "I agree to these rules" checkbox above the chit-chat. Make it 'user beware'. Because those that are easily offended or don't agree with certain posts will sure as heck find something to complain about in the group section, and you'll wind up with the same problems you have now. Instead of trying to purge the site of any impurity, I think it would be much easier to flat out say "don't go under this topic - if you do, do so at your own risk and quit your complaining."

Groups will be different because if you don't join the group, you won't see it on the forums. You won't see any topics from the group on a regular basis unless you specifically seek it out to join it.
  • again, going down a slippery slope if you're going to ban someone for saying "you're an idiot for taking HCG.",

sorry but i respectfully disagree again.
  • ginabina13
    ginabina13 Posts: 202 Member
    Thanks for taking time to explain!! I love this site and will continue to support it. I also love the "Groups" idea!

Keep up the great work!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    A suggestion that may be helpful in attracting members to volunteer to serve as a moderator would be what I have seen on another large public forum.
    The people have their regular accounts but they are not identified as mods...they are still under very specific rules of action and are accountable to you and fellow mods so as to not have a rogue one.
    They all can also sign in under a generic moderator account to deal with things that arise.

What it does is take the stigma of of having a person identified as a "killjoy" or other term.
    In the course of a thread the mod can step in and say cool it,knock it off etc and not have to worry about reprisal from friends.

There can be different levels of ability created using a few mod accounts to help as a check and balance based on your level of trust in that person.

Food for thought is all.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Permissions, based on rank. Rank being based on the amount of time one has been a member, amount and character of any 'reports' against said member, and total number of posts. Permissions; posting topics, posting in certain forums, posting pictures, responding to posts. Also, the 'report post' option should require a message.

Just my 20$. My thoughts are worth more than 2 cents...
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member

Groups will be different because if you don't join the group, you won't see it on the forums. You won't see any topics from the group on a regular basis unless you specifically seek it out to join it.

I absolutely love this idea. . .
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    And we all need to realize that sometimes there is just no pleasing every single person. Therein lies a big problem which is in no way the mods' faults nor should they be blamed. Clearly, Mike is trying to sort things out, get ideas, what-have you, but a little give and take from everyone will go a long way. The guy is trying and every single person should be grateful whether you agree with the things he wants to improve on or not. Open minds leads to a lot of problem solving or something like that.
  • Mike
    I am a volunteer mod on a small political site and yes,it is a thankless "job" to say the least.
    What seems to work best is a policy of when in doubt do nothing and by that I mean if there is a complaint raised by a member or an issue any moderator sees and questions if appropriate then we all get together and unless obvious no action is taken although it will be monitored.
    The person filing the report is then notified of this and why,what is fun and innocent to one may be terribly offensive to another so rational judgment based on accepted social standards should apply.
    Everyone is responsible for their own homes and computer usage.

What seems to me,IMO only,to have caused things things here to have become such a train wreck is no level of communication over various issues at there inception.
    It gave an appearance of trying to sweep some unpleasant events under the rug and whether correct or not once the frustration starts it is like a festering wound that will not go away and suddenly starts to spread well beyond the initial cause.

I have been around various forums over several years and this one is no different then any other,you have human nature at play and even though in a perfect world some things should be easy the reality is they just aren`t.

My only advice or input would be a lot better level of communication as to why actions are taken,they don`t have to be heavy handed or appear to be disciplinary but a simple explanation.
    I do understand that there are times when a thread for obvious reasons should just be thrown away,I would bet 95% of membership here would always agree even if they personally enjoyed it.

In short I have rarely seen a problem such has crept up in the last week get better by trying to just ignore it and hope it goes away.
    This is a good idea Mike and hope if something starts to snowball again the same thing happens at a much sooner place.

Thanks for the opportunity to express this without fear of reprisal.
    Hope everyone will speak their mind civilly and respectfully while being honest about their opinions.

I agree - the communication was poor, and that's on me. This topic was an attempt to correct that, but we'll definitely try to be even better next time.

I can't promise everything will be 100% better tomorrow. We're still extremely thinly staffed, and the poor mods are exhausted with all the hubbub from the last few days. Remember, they are VOLUNTEERS. They are really amazing people. They devote their own free time to do a thankless job only because they love MyFitnessPal so much. They just want to make the site better, and I let them down by not recruiting enough help for them. But again, we're trying to correct that and we'll do our best to make the situation right.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Thank you for this site, I enjoy it and I've been a moderator for other sites. I know how difficult it can be...

While were throwing out suggestions... maybe a womens bored? Do men even really want to see TOM threads? I think gender specific ones might be useful for stuff like icky medical or body stuff.

**forgive my use of word "icky"
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Thank you Mike! The things going on here was just getting way out of hand..Wow! Glad you stepped in and explained! :flowerforyou:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    A suggestion that may be helpful in attracting members to volunteer to serve as a moderator would be what I have seen on another large public forum.
    The people have their regular accounts but they are not identified as mods...they are still under very specific rules of action and are accountable to you and fellow mods so as to not have a rogue one.
    They all can also sign in under a generic moderator account to deal with things that arise.

What it does is take the stigma of of having a person identified as a "killjoy" or other term.
    In the course of a thread the mod can step in and say cool it,knock it off etc and not have to worry about reprisal from friends.

There can be different levels of ability created using a few mod accounts to help as a check and balance based on your level of trust in that person.

Food for thought is all.

That is a great idea. . This is the way that they ran it when I moderated for a lupus/fibro group that I was in. . It is very effective I must say. .
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Just wanted to say hi, Mike. Your site has changed my life. I've met wonderful friends. And to be truthful, most of my friends here don't go anywhere near the forums because of all the crap you're dealing with. We have one or two threads we frequent, we made our bonds, found our encouragement and forge through this journey. The journey is hard enough without having high school drama to deal with--

But, thank you for this site. Thank you for your efforts to improve it and make something for everyone. I'm sure you know you'll never quite get there. Someone will always have a problem, or create one. But, you're aces for keeping up the efforts.
  • Thank you for this site, I enjoy it and I've been a moderator for other sites. I know how difficult it can be...

While were throwing out suggestions... maybe a womens bored? Do men even really want to see TOM threads? I think gender specific ones might be useful for stuff like icky medical or body stuff.

**forgive my use of word "icky"

Umm.. the site is like 75% women. The whole message board is a women's board :smile: If all the women left the main board, there'd be no one left :cry: I'd miss y'all
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    again, going down a slippery slope if you're going to ban someone for saying "you're an idiot for taking HCG.",

Have to agree--
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

I don't think anyone wants to see it anymore. I think a sticky topic on how a woman's body works and what to expect monthly would be a good idea.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    again, going down a slippery slope if you're going to ban someone for saying "you're an idiot for taking HCG.",

I don't see how this is a debate. Calling someone an idiot is obviously disrespectful and unnecessarily. Unnecessary being the key there. You can make your point, and disagree just by saying that "taking HCG is not a good idea".... There is no reason for name calling.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    It's been disappointing to see how the forums have degraded lately and I appreciate Mike stepping in as he has today and taking the time to talk with everyone.

This is a great site and I hope it's here for a long time to come.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    *applause*

I refuse to read the responses, Mike. I caught some glimpses and I don't like all this "you should do this" and "what about THAT?!" reactions.

You're doing the best you can and I'd like to simultaneously thank you and apologize.

I've been on other forums with more specific group to cater to...and this place is nothing like that. It can't be easy to mod or know what to expect from us next being such a varied group.