Cats/Declawed

Options
Okay, I really don't know how I feel about my little Tango getting declawed but I will be moving into an apartment with my cousin pretty soon who has a 2 year old and also the deposit for a cat with claws is 500 and one without claws is 300. :( I don't want to hurt him but there is alot at risk (he is 8-12 months)

Replies

• Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    I would just pay the 500 if it werent for the baby, I would pay 200 more not to put my cat in pain...
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's cruel.

Maybe try something like SoftPaws?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I think its inhumane to get them declawed, but if you must, than they HAVE to be young enough to recover properly. It taks a long time for them to recover from it and there is a high risk of infection..Its only $200 more for a cat with claws.

You can teach the 2 year old to be gentle with the kitty and not to pull on him or hurt him, and also when to avoid the kitty..Like when he's being playful or anything. :flowerforyou:
  • Moofey
    Options
    I could do that, I just dont want to risk them falling off and him scratching the baby. I mean the cat is like a dog, he follows me around, fetchs and comes to his name (a freak of nature I know) Hes an adorable cat just has problems with climbing up peoples legs..
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    dont do it.

i think the 2 year old will be just fine
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You're basically amputating their toes. That being said, when I was in high school, my parents wouldn't let me have a cat unless she were declawed. It was a choice I had to make.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Declawing is horrible. As was suggested, try SoftPaws or just keep the cat's claws well trimmed.

Seriously. It isn't a humane way to treat your pet.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put the effort into training him, rather than declawing him.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree with cdstadt - SoftPaws are awesome. I've been using them on my cat for over a year and they work beautifully. Plus, now that it's football season again, my cat's claws are decked out in maize and blue for Michigan! :) Go Blue!!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It's really a nasty procedure and I don't like it(and i have previously had cats declawed before i really knew better and actually watched the surgery be done)

You can easily keep the cats claws clipped and give them special scratching posts so they don't mess up furniture or anything.
  • Moofey
    Options
    Thats awesome, I didn't even think of teaching her that haha.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I think it's inhumane to chop off their paws at the first knuckle (declawing).

My two year old has gotten scratched a couple of times and learned to pet gently as a result.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Teach the baby to be nice to the cat. She needs to learn that, anyway.

And unless you're going to remove the back claws and the teeth, it isn't going to help the baby.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Declawing is equivalent to cutting of a human's fingers at the first knuckle. Think about that. Also, declawing will cost more than $500. So if you're worried about money, paying the deposit will be cheaper. If you're worried about the kid....does the cat have a history of scratching people or children? If it does, get it some scratching posts and toys....cats scratch because they are bored or want to play.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I mean, not to be insensitive, but a cat scratch wouldn't kill the kid. That's life. And a clawless catt? That's not his life.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Declawing a cat is dangerous, and completely harmful, and many times carries lifelong problems. To declaw a cat, they have to partially amputate the bones in their feet...it takes a VERY long time for an animal to fully recover from something like this, and can cause permanent pain. There are SO MANY alternatives to this, please do some research on all the alternatives out there before making your decision.
  • Moofey
    Options
    I agree with cdstadt - SoftPaws are awesome. I've been using them on my cat for over a year and they work beautifully. Plus, now that it's football season again, my cat's claws are decked out in maize and blue for Michigan! :) Go Blue!!

I think that is awesome!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Teach the baby to be nice to the cat. She needs to learn that, anyway.

And unless you're going to remove the back claws and the teeth, it isn't going to help the baby.
    And this. Yes.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put the effort into training him, rather than declawing him.
    Yeah, you can't train a cat like that. You can spray them with a water bottle if they scratch something you care about to discourage them from that particular object, but if they have claws they WILL find something to scratch. Also, if the cat is on you or near you when they startle, inevitably you're going to get scratched at some point, they can't help it if they're scared. SoftPaws are a good way to go if you can't risk any scratching at all.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Declawing is horrible. As was suggested, try SoftPaws or just keep the cat's claws well trimmed.
    I forgot about SoftPaws!! We looked into geting those done for our cat, but wound up not doing it for whatever reason..You can have a pet groomer put them on for you. See if they will drop the price if you buy them on your own. Ours would have droped the price by $15.
This discussion has been closed.