Cats/Declawed

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    FYI: If you trim a cat's nails, it will encourage them to scratch (scratching poles, couches, etc) because the reason they scratch them is to sharpen them...
    Please people. Don't just spout off beliefs as if they are facts. Cats scratch things to get rid of the outer sheath of their claws, not to sharpen them.

Glad I'm not the only one questioning that statement. Cats also scratch things to mark them. And you can teach a cat to not claw things, too. It does take patience, though ... lots of persistence!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I love that this debate is STILL going. Even after the OP said she wasn't going to declaw Tango.

Oy.
  • crobinson53
    Options
    I love that this debate is STILL going. Even after the OP said she wasn't going to declaw Tango.

Oy.

Lol It's a hot topic :happy: Maybe after this we'll talk about the death penalty and abortion :ohwell:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

Oy.

thats because lots of people admitted to doing it.

Its illegal over here. Of course a cat can still be happy with no claws. They learn to live with it, same as a dog with 3 legs still learns to get around, but i really cant see a good reason for declawing a cat. Its not as if cat attacks are commonplace and dangerous.
    I guess de-barking of dogs is reasonable to some of you too.

Im seriously stunned. Some of you should have got a goldfish instead
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Is getting your cat declawed on the same moral level as spaying or neutering? Really should we be modifying any animals without their consent?

Oh, I guess we better quit with all those life-saving but modifying procedures. Considering animals can't consent to anything we do to them.

Neutering (hint: this word covers spaying and castrating) animals at an appropriate time with a decent vet has definite benefits for the animal, unlike declawing.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Spaying has health benefits to the animal, and society at large. Its also an operation that they dont suffer from after the recovery period. Declawing is pretty much the equivalent of having someones fingers removed. There is no comparison
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    For those of you considering getting your cats declawed, keep in mind that without cat claws, the world may never have had this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJux_7W2i8
  • shannon121278
    Options
    I have six cats, two of which have been declawed. I don't know if it depends on the vets you go to, but I don't see it as a problem. My cats were kept at the vet, two nights after their surgery, watched and bandaged and given medicine to prevent infection. When I brought them home, they were kinda lazy for a day or two and just slept a lot, but after the first two days, they were fully back to themselves. There was barely any care at all afterwords. Two weeks of antibiotics to prevent infection, and 10 days of using shredded paper in their litterbox. I had absolutely no complications with either one of them. And I plan to get my other four declawed.

I don't neccessarily see how it's inhumane whatsoever. They are 100% indoor cats, and they still have their back claws for scratching and hygenic purposes. They don't seem to mind at all.

I got my cats declawed for one because I want to have children and it seems safer. For two, cats are hard to train, and keep them from doing certain things. My cats scratched on anything they could get their hands on. Corners of the walls, the furniture, etc. I tried a spray bottle, I got them their own scratcher (only two would use this, however they used this AND still the furniture), I tried a no scratching spray, and nothing worked whatsoever. To keep my house in good condition, all of my cats are getting declawed.

Just my personal opinon. I don't see it as a problem.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion, but I don't see a problem with some people having part of their fingers amputated. I'm sure they could learn to live with it and and be okay after being given proper care. :smile:

Really happy the cat this thread was about didn't have to get declawed.
  • Jessamin
    Options
    I have six cats, two of which have been declawed. I don't know if it depends on the vets you go to, but I don't see it as a problem. My cats were kept at the vet, two nights after their surgery, watched and bandaged and given medicine to prevent infection. When I brought them home, they were kinda lazy for a day or two and just slept a lot, but after the first two days, they were fully back to themselves. There was barely any care at all afterwords. Two weeks of antibiotics to prevent infection, and 10 days of using shredded paper in their litterbox. I had absolutely no complications with either one of them. And I plan to get my other four declawed.

I don't neccessarily see how it's inhumane whatsoever. They are 100% indoor cats, and they still have their back claws for scratching and hygenic purposes. They don't seem to mind at all.

I got my cats declawed for one because I want to have children and it seems safer. For two, cats are hard to train, and keep them from doing certain things. My cats scratched on anything they could get their hands on. Corners of the walls, the furniture, etc. I tried a spray bottle, I got them their own scratcher (only two would use this, however they used this AND still the furniture), I tried a no scratching spray, and nothing worked whatsoever. To keep my house in good condition, all of my cats are getting declawed.

The fact that it is ILLEGAL in other countries because it's considered abuse doesn't hint to you that it's a terrible thing to do? I don't understand you people.

It is selfish for you to declaw your cats for your own household. Those are THINGS and these are living creatures. You are mutilating their natural state of being for the sake of your couch. Cats CAN be trained with consistent behaviour changes and their are numerous other alternatives to declawing but folks are just too lazy to do it, so you put them through an entirely unnecessary surgery, which is certainly not without potentially terrible consequences. Do you understand what the body of an animal goes through during anesthesia and recovery? Do you understand the unbelievable plethora of risks that you put your pet under for the sake of your furniture? It disgusts me, to be honest.

If you don't want your children to get scratched, don't get a pet with claws. If you aren't willing to put the effort into having a balanced, obedient pet, don't have animals. Easy peasy.
  • shannon121278
    Options

The fact that it is ILLEGAL in other countries because it's considered abuse doesn't hint to you that it's a terrible thing to do? I don't understand you people.

It is selfish for you to declaw your cats for your own household. Those are THINGS and these are living creatures. You are mutilating their natural state of being for the sake of your couch. Cats CAN be trained with consistent behaviour changes and their are numerous other alternatives to declawing but folks are just too lazy to do it, so you put them through an entirely unnecessary surgery, which is certainly not without potentially terrible consequences. Do you understand what the body of an animal goes through during anesthesia and recovery? Do you understand the unbelievable plethora of risks that you put your pet under for the sake of your furniture? It disgusts me, to be honest.

If you don't want your children to get scratched, don't get a pet with claws. If you aren't willing to put the effort into having a balanced, obedient pet, don't have animals. Easy peasy.

Well let's see, I didn't get on this page to start a debate. I saw very few people FOR declawing on this page and wanted to list my actual EXPERIENCE that there were NO complications and NO issues and NO problems or pain for my cats that I got declawed.

The fact that it's illegal in other countries, doesn't change my opinion. It's not illegal here and my cats were not harmed by being declawed. They are happy, lovable, still play and jump on things, and are just the same as before they got declawed.

Also, do you realize cats are put under anesthesia for getting fixed also. Does that mean we shouldn't have them fixed? I don't see it as much different. I got my pets fixed, not for the fact of preventing reproduction, but to prevent them spraying on things. I too am changing their natural state by taking away their private parts, but people see that as a good thing.

I don't have to justify myself to anyone, I just wanted to point out to everyone that there are people who don't look down on declawing and have had VERY successful experiences with declawing their cats, and that they don't always suffer pain or change their personalities or any of that. At least not in every cat.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    For those of you considering getting your cats declawed, keep in mind that without cat claws, the world may never have had this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJux_7W2i8
    Dude, so glad you posted that. You seem to really grasp the seriousness of the situation.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    IT costs about $400 bucks to declaw your cat.... Soooooo....
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Dude, so glad you posted that. You seem to really grasp the seriousness of the situation.

talking to yourself again? ;)
  • Jessamin
    Options

Well let's see, I didn't get on this page to start a debate. I saw very few people FOR declawing on this page and wanted to list my actual EXPERIENCE that there were NO complications and NO issues and NO problems or pain for my cats that I got declawed.

The fact that it's illegal in other countries, doesn't change my opinion. It's not illegal here and my cats were not harmed by being declawed. They are happy, lovable, still play and jump on things, and are just the same as before they got declawed.

Also, do you realize cats are put under anesthesia for getting fixed also. Does that mean we shouldn't have them fixed? I don't see it as much different. I got my pets fixed, not for the fact of preventing reproduction, but to prevent them spraying on things. I too am changing their natural state by taking away their private parts, but people see that as a good thing.

I don't have to justify myself to anyone, I just wanted to point out to everyone that there are people who don't look down on declawing and have had VERY successful experiences with declawing their cats, and that they don't always suffer pain or change their personalities or any of that. At least not in every cat.

I would say I'm glad the mutilation of your cat went well for you, but I'm not. Your cat may not have displayed changes or had any of the horrifying disfigurations, but statistics would say that there a distinct possibility that it will and your willingness to put them through that is disturbing, to say the least.

I am fairly aware of the anesthesia during neutering, being responsible for it on an almost-daily basis. Animals being fixed has HEALTH benefits for them. They won't get cancers of their reproductive organs. They won't get pyometra or other infections of their reproductive organs. They won't undergo the stresses of heats or pregnancy or roaming, since indoor cats can potentially get out especially while on heat/seeking females. It is a grace to them to have them desexed. Declawing is ENTIRELY unnecessary and the risk cannot be justified.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion, but I don't see a problem with some people having part of their fingers amputated. I'm sure they could learn to live with it and and be okay after being given proper care. :smile:

Really happy the cat this thread was about didn't have to get declawed.

my dad lost all four fingers down to the first knuckle at work on his left hand....and he can still type and do most things lol....the only things he has a hard time doing is like tying a balloon or pinching stuff with both index fingers.....he even has a great humor about it, and his screen name to everything is knuckles

Cats being declawed is inhumane if they are outside cats....if they are indoor cats then i see no problem at all with it. I do see a problem with cats flawing up their tail and putting their bungholes in my face though, can we de-bunghole cats?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

so....10 cats? Are you the neighborhood's crazy cat lady?? lol jk....if i could keep up with it i would have 10 dogs, but my one is just perfect enoug for me
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Are you going to declaw your (future) kids when they make a mess and get into things? Kids are a lot harder to train than cats after all...
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

Are you going to declaw your (future) kids when they make a mess and get into things? Kids are a lot harder to train than cats after all...
    apparently lots of people "declaw" their children, since i have never seen an infant with inch long nails....if they didn't "declaw" them, then why do they have clippers in those infant baby hygene kits?
This discussion has been closed.