Cats/Declawed

Options

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Declawing is equivalent to cutting of a human's fingers at the first knuckle. Think about that. Also, declawing will cost more than $500. So if you're worried about money, paying the deposit will be cheaper. If you're worried about the kid....does the cat have a history of scratching people or children? If it does, get it some scratching posts and toys....cats scratch because they are bored or want to play.
    What vet are you going to?? We only charge 55.00$ total!!
    I'll admit I was assuming about the cost, based on what a surgery where bones are cut should entail. Both of my cats have had several life-saving surgical procedures, and I was figuring in comparison to those costs. If this procedure only costs $55, I can imagine how crude of a procedure it must be, and that only confirms my feeling that it's cruel.

I never said its not cruel by any means but its not as bad as people are trying to make it out to be either. ...And it is a lot less cruel then throwing the cat outside because of its scratching. Where it can be killed, beat up, ran over, or wonder off and get lost.
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing anyone suggest throwing this (or any other cat) outside because it scratches.

Anyway, the bottom line is that we each have our own opinions on this subject, and it's a subject that has the potential to get very heated. Hopefully, in the end, our varying opinions and statements will help the OP form her own opinions, give her some ideas on where to do some of her own research (so she's not just relying on he-said she-said), and make the decision that she is most comfortable with.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Declawing is equivalent to cutting of a human's fingers at the first knuckle. Think about that. Also, declawing will cost more than $500. So if you're worried about money, paying the deposit will be cheaper. If you're worried about the kid....does the cat have a history of scratching people or children? If it does, get it some scratching posts and toys....cats scratch because they are bored or want to play.
    What vet are you going to?? We only charge 55.00$ total!!
    I'll admit I was assuming about the cost, based on what a surgery where bones are cut should entail. Both of my cats have had several life-saving surgical procedures, and I was figuring in comparison to those costs. If this procedure only costs $55, I can imagine how crude of a procedure it must be, and that only confirms my feeling that it's cruel.

I never said its not cruel by any means but its not as bad as people are trying to make it out to be either. ...And it is a lot less cruel then throwing the cat outside because of its scratching. Where it can be killed, beat up, ran over, or wonder off and get lost.

Just because chopping off the cat's toes is easier than training them, doesn't make it a good decision. If you can't take the time to properly train your pet, and resort to surgery, you shouldn't have a pet.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Right now is the best age to do it. Kittens handle it much better then adult cats. and there is no need to do the back claws. You really only need the front ones done. That way if he ever does get out he can still climb a tree or a fence if something is after him.
    I worked a vet tech for almost 8 years, and most cats do just fine with the surgery and heal quickly. Make sure you use shredded paper for the litter box or the pine litter for atleast a week. so the paws do not get infected.
    Most vet will give you a pain killer to help with the pain make sure you ask the vet if they do or not before the procedure. If they do not then I would find a vet at does, or offer to pay more for some. Most vets will use Metacam (meloxicam) But in low doses. Pain meds are kinda hard on cats and should be given only prescription drugs straight from the vet. Anything we have as humans is highly toxic for them.
    All in all it is a painful surgery but it is well worth it when your kitty gets to stay in and does not tear your furniture or the kids up. if you have any questions please feel free to inbox me.

If you would rather remove your animal's toes than teach your children to be kind to them (so as not to get scratched), maybe you should rethink having pets.

My cats stay inside and they have their nails and have never scratched anyone without provocation.

Maybe you need to research the procedure... They do not remove the toe. or even to the first knuckle. its only the the claw and tendon.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You CAN clicker train cats, I guess it just depends on the cat. One of mine stands up on his hind legs for a treat now and I only tested the clicker out on him for a few days in order to write a paper on it.

A professor of mine trained her cat to stay off the kitchen counters without a clicker even.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    One of my friends had a declawed cat - to protect her pretty furniture.

The cat got out of the house and drown in the fountain in the garden because she couldn't claw her way out.

It's mutilation - plain and simple.

Cat's are smart - they will stay away from a grabby toddler.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Anyway, the bottom line is that we each have our own opinions on this subject, and it's a subject that has the potential to get very heated. Hopefully, in the end, our varying opinions and statements will help the OP form her own opinions, give her some ideas on where to do some of her own research (so she's not just relying on he-said she-said), and make the decision that she is most comfortable with.
    [/quote]

This I agree with.. I never told her to go and have it done, I simply was offering advice since I have hands on knowledge of the procedure, if she choose to have it done.
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    When I went to go adopt my kitten Tango, My friends and I walked into the adoption agency just to see what all was there. No cats really stuck out to me, none connected with me like I had wanted. I mean they were all adorable but there is just that one cat you connect with. I can describe the rooms the kittens and cats where in, they were free range where the cats could play and they where just glass rooms so you could see through all of them while in one room. I was in a room separate from Tango looking at a little kitten and he walked right over to the glass and started meowing. As I walked around the room to the door he followed and started pawing the glass where ever I was. My friends and I walked into the room and right when we did, Tango runs over and climbs all the way up my friends jeans and sits on her shoulder. She put him down and looked at some other kittens. I picked up Tango and knew I wanted him, He sat there in my arms closed his eyes and purred. I put him down and picked up another cat just to see what he would do, he climbed up on a table and jumped right into my arms! I had never had a cat do something like that before and I was standing a good 4 ft away from the table! He ALWAYS comes to his name and plays fetch, he also loves to cuddle and hates being away from people. I love my little Tango OH! He is an orange long haired kitten with bright green eyes :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If people need alter an animal to such a large extent in order to make that animal fit their lifestyle, then that is not the right pet for them.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just got off the phone with a vet's office and asked some questions regarding this topic. She said their office will NOT declaw a cat's back claws because that is inhumane and basically takes away their natural defence. She said they do have to remove a tendon when declawing the front paws so the nail does not grow back. Problems will likely occur when the nail tries to grow back if the procedure was not done correctly. She also said the cat will be sore for a couple of weeks and is given pain meds but after that should be fine. Older cats will take longer to recover than a younger one. She said if there are young children around there is greater risk of them being scratched because they often don't know how to properly handle an animal and the cat may re-act if he is being hurt. She said some cats don't mind having their claws trimmed so if you do get a cat maybe start trimming the nails right away so they get used to you handling his/her feet. I also asked about the softpaws but she said she hasn't seen them in a long time.. but that was just one office I called. My advice would be to just make sure you ask alot of questions and are comfortable with the vet if you decide to get your kitty declawed. There are alot of people against it but I have never personally seen a cat suffer due to declawing. In fact my sister had her kitten declawed ( front paws only) a few months ago and he is happy, healthy and still a little terror.. only without scratching the dogs eyes out anymore :)

Here's a real problem with declawing. Suppose your sister's kitten gets out of the house? Cats use their claws for defense, without them they have no defense. Yes, they usually use their back claws for attacking, but they use their front claws for gripping. Without front claws, their back claws are useless. A declawed cat that gets outside has no defenses against any wild animal that may attack, and without front claws they are also hindered in their escape movements. Cats use their claws to help balance, they use them for a lot more than just "scratching."

Oh, and Johnnysgirl, in other parts of the world outside of the USA, it can be spelled "defence."

Very true. If a cat is going to be outdoors then they are at risk of not being able to defend themselves without claws. My sister's cat did get out once but luckily someone was home and he was retrieved very quickly before something happened. She is super paranoid of him getting outside again and they are more careful when opening the door... but still.. he's a quick little bugger!
  • devenwarvel
    devenwarvel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I worked for a vet for about 4 years...saw very few cases where the declaw had a negative effect on the cat (the cases I did see were due to noncompliance issues with the owner). There are some inhumane (or what I would consider inhumane) ways of declawing, but it depends on the procedure the Dr. uses. Ask your vet how they perofrm the procedure, or call around and do some research. If not...there is always nail trimming:) I do it to my cat who is (to put it kindly) not all that user friendly, and it works for me! It's actually alot easier to cut a cats nails than a dogs (I think), and I do it about once a month.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think declawing cats is incredibly cruel. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it's not even legal here in the UK.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Aww, I know I have seen it done. I worked in a vets office for a while as a kennel tech and have helped out but I am also a new cat owner and have never had to make this choice before so I just really needed some opinions. I was pretty much going to pay the 500 anyway but I just didn't know about the 2 year old. Thank you!

What funny things do your cats do? Whats the story of how you got them?

have 4 kids, all have got to teenage or adulthood with no scars...if a kid pulls a cats tail the cat will scratch and rightly so, tough luck on the kid but once is all it should take. By declawing you are mutilating the cat, removing his means of escape (need claws for climbing fences trees etc) you are removing his best form of defence...its cruel, if you can't risk the cat clawing the furniture then simply don't have a cat.

Oh and for the couple that have never heard of it before its because it is ILLEGAL in the UK, comes under animal cruelty
  • Moofey
    Options
    Why do I feel like such a horrible person just asking this question??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't own a cat.
  • anewattitude
    Options
    Why do I feel like such a horrible person just asking this question??

Asking a question because you want to be informed does not make you a horrible person.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We have a cat and in the beginning he would scratch without even realising. My boyfriend and me had many scratches and scars to prove it.

We got him a scratch post in the beginning which he used quite quickly. His claws are now not as sharp. He's only 5 months old, and his scratching has pretty much come to a halt with training, toys and his scratch post.

We thought it would take him a while to get used to the post, but he learned to use it within days of us having him (we got him at 5 weeks old so not bad at all).

With regular training, theres no need to declaw him/her at all.
  • Moofey
    Options
    Haha, all the things people were saying was making me feel bad. :(
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I've had cats all my life since I was a little girl, outdoors and indoors, declawed and not, depending on the circumstances. I would say not to do it if at all possible. I'll never forget my cat Jenny trying to jump onto the window ledge of my bedroom shortly after her surgery (back when I was a newlywed). She missed and slid down the wall, and when she did, blood streaked everywhere. I was horrified, then heartbroken. :cry: She suffered so. To be fair, I've had another who recovered quickly with no problems, but still.

Also, cats most certainly can be trained. I have 2 now that do NOT get on the kitchen counter or table, and will come with a clicker. Years ago I had 3 outdoor cats that would come when whistled for. They thought they were dogs :laugh:

Do what you must. You asked for opinions, this is mine.
  • anewattitude
    Options
    Haha, all the things people were saying was making me feel bad. :(

no need to feel bad :). It is a sensitive topic for many people but at least by reading opinions and doing your own research you can make an informed decision.
  • allison_joan
    Options
    Bump
This discussion has been closed.