Cats/Declawed

Options

Replies

• ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    don't have a cat but I have a boxer with some huge nails because he was a rescue and they were grown out. we are trying to get the quick to go back, but my point is do they make these "softpaws" things for dogs?? Brutus and the wood floors have not been friends. lol
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Isnt there a laser treatment now or something that is supposed to be nicer?

My cats have their claws. One claws the hell out of everything, the other doesnt. I tried the softpaws, the work pretty well but can be a pain to get on and off.

Edit to say, I also tried really hard to train them not to scratch my furniture. They are sweet and lovely to my face, and spend the night shredding away :)
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I mean, not to be insensitive, but a cat scratch wouldn't kill the kid. That's life. And a clawless catt? That's not his life.
    And this. I think you get the point we are all trying to make.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I had no idea that cats were declawed! I am amazed!!! My cats have never had anything like that done. Shudder!!! :noway:
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    Aww, I know I have seen it done. I worked in a vets office for a while as a kennel tech and have helped out but I am also a new cat owner and have never had to make this choice before so I just really needed some opinions. I was pretty much going to pay the 500 anyway but I just didn't know about the 2 year old. Thank you!

What funny things do your cats do? Whats the story of how you got them?
  • Valechka
    Options
    2 y.o. is a big enough child! We have a cat since my son was born. He is almost 4. The only time he got scratched when he was trying to pull her tail. Needless to say it never happened after it. 2 y.o. is old enough to be taught how to be with a cat. and cat will not really will have interest for toddler, let me say that for sure
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My vet refuses to declaw. Instead she does a procedure called a "tendonectomy", which is much more humane. A small incision is made into the tendon that allows them to extend their claws. The claws are still there but they can't be extended out so the cat can no longer scratch. You must keep the nails trimmed however as they still grow. Its actually cheaper than a declaw and far more humane. All 3 of my indoor cats have had the procedure and did very well with it.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Teach the baby to be nice to the cat. She needs to learn that, anyway.

And unless you're going to remove the back claws and the teeth, it isn't going to help the baby.

Agreed. I've seen my cat go to town on random stuff with her back claws, although she won't do it to people unless you mess with her. For biting, if the cat gets a hold of your hand or something, though, if you push back farther into their mouths it freaks them out (they're using to things they're biting trying to run away) and they'll usually let go. Of course, you can't really teach that to a baby, but I haven't see too many cats willingly hang out around babies anyway, unless they're trying to mooch their body heat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I mean, not to be insensitive, but a cat scratch wouldn't kill the kid. That's life. And a clawless catt? That's not his life.

Exactly.

Anyway, my parents had clawed cats from the time I was born and I've had clawed cats since before my daughter was born and there haven't been any incidents. My girlfriend has three cats and am 18-month-old (who has been to my house). No problems.

Cats tend to actually stay away from little ones because the cats are smart enough to know the little ones will pull their tails, pinch them or (in the case of my daughter one day) cut off their whiskers.
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options

I was actually put in the hospital by a cat scratch due to infectioin and had to get several lymph nodes removed... Ironic huh? HAHA
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Actually, we had our cat declawed, and it was done by laser. She is an indoor cat, and her recovery was very quick. I did have to use special litter for that time, but not a big deal. She was a kitten though. So I can't really comment on how she'd done if she were older. I would never have done it if the procedure was done the old fashioned way, which I will not get into because I believe it's inhumane.

I think that you should go with what you feel is best. Follow your gut. I just thought I'd give you another side of the story. Not here to stir anything up.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My poor Mewme was found my a friend of mine at just a few weeks old. They had pit bulls so were keeping her in a bird cage! I had to save her. My sweet bird cage kitty....she is 11 now.

Pearl came from another friend who's house was overrun with cats. Which led to lots of inbred kittens. Pearl is a special girl.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Vets can trim cat claws too. When you get scratched it doesn't draw blood or anything like un-clipped claws. I'm not sure how often that needs to be done though as I don't have scratchy cats.

Also, for the person asking, they DO make dog soft paws: http://www.softpaws.net/
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I was actually put in the hospital by a cat scratch due to infectioin and had to get several lymph nodes removed... Ironic huh? HAHA

I spent 6 days in the hospital from cat scratches and bites. Almost lost my hand over it. Then 3 weeks of Pic Line anit-biotics.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Right now is the best age to do it. Kittens handle it much better then adult cats. and there is no need to do the back claws. You really only need the front ones done. That way if he ever does get out he can still climb a tree or a fence if something is after him.
    I worked a vet tech for almost 8 years, and most cats do just fine with the surgery and heal quickly. Make sure you use shredded paper for the litter box or the pine litter for atleast a week. so the paws do not get infected.
    Most vet will give you a pain killer to help with the pain make sure you ask the vet if they do or not before the procedure. If they do not then I would find a vet at does, or offer to pay more for some. Most vets will use Metacam (meloxicam) But in low doses. Pain meds are kinda hard on cats and should be given only prescription drugs straight from the vet. Anything we have as humans is highly toxic for them.
    All in all it is a painful surgery but it is well worth it when your kitty gets to stay in and does not tear your furniture or the kids up. if you have any questions please feel free to inbox me.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options

That IS crazy. Was it a feral or something? I've been scratched by tons.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should put the effort into training him, rather than declawing him.
    Yeah, you can't train a cat like that. You can spray them with a water bottle if they scratch something you care about to discourage them from that particular object, but if they have claws they WILL find something to scratch. Also, if the cat is on you or near you when they startle, inevitably you're going to get scratched at some point, they can't help it if they're scared. SoftPaws are a good way to go if you can't risk any scratching at all.
    Actually, cats *can* be taught what to scratch and what not to scratch....but yes, scratching is a natural instinct, hence the existence of scratching posts....they can be taught to scratch only them.
  • maria25428
    Options
    get him some kitten mittens, ha.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    What funny things do your cats do? Whats the story of how you got them?

George - Comes from a line of royal Hawaiian tree cats (last queen's Abyssinians interbred with local tree cats). His mom was caught in the neuter and release program and had a litter of the right age for adoption. He my cranky, crotchety old man kitty; 15 years old, had a stroke a month or so ago but is doing better.

Bilbo - Big FLUFF ball that likes to sit on your face. Traded with my roommate's real estate agent... our dog for Bilbo when we moved to an apartment where we couldn't have a dog.

Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos (Nya) - Showed up on our 2nd story balcony one day and adopted my husband.

Ivan - Nya surprised us with him last Labor Day. A relative then helped us with funding her spay. He's the perfect kitty. Snuggles when appropriate, doesn't get between you and your book, only scratches on the scratching post. LOL.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Vets can trim cat claws too. When you get scratched it doesn't draw blood or anything like un-clipped claws. I'm not sure how often that needs to be done though as I don't have scratchy cats.

Also, for the person asking, they DO make dog soft paws: http://www.softpaws.net/

Thanks so much for the info!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.