What's the worst nutrition or fitness myth you've heard?

Options

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    this might be my new favorite from the author of wheat belly

"In fact, given the choice of two slices of whole wheat bread or a Milky Way bar, I'd take the Milky Way bar."

ps i'd take the milky way bar too, but not because i think what products are worse then sugar

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha haa ha!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    When a fad diet tells you that you
    can't eat fruit
    can't eat a certain kind of veggies
    can't eat bread, even the whole wheat kind
    can't eat fat, fat creates fat
    and the best "you need to burn everything you eat, so eat 800 cals a day and run for 5 miles"
    This is hilarious.....I just get tired of people so judgemental of other when it comes to what they do or don't eat or how they chose to exercise...beauty in all of this is CHOICE! We all can choose to have an eating style that makes us happy and live healthy and/or an exercise regime that makes them consistent!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

if #1 one was supposed to be milk, it's sort of true since a calcium deficiency can hurt weight loss but not to a huge amount
    #2 there are studies to show that choc milk is a pretty good pwo drink, but not sure if any research shows that it is superior to every other pwo snack, normally when talking in absolutes like best it's untrue

No, the multi million dollar advertising campaign launched by the dairy industry (which they were later sued for) said three (3) servings of dairy, not milk.

Actually, there is one (1) study that shows chocolate milk is a better recovery drink than Gatorade and Endurox. It is based on nine (9) endurance athletes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

if #1 one was supposed to be milk, it's sort of true since a calcium deficiency can hurt weight loss but not to a huge amount
    #2 there are studies to show that choc milk is a pretty good pwo drink, but not sure if any research shows that it is superior to every other pwo snack, normally when talking in absolutes like best it's untrue

No, the multi million dollar advertising campaign launched by the dairy industry (which they were later sued for) said three (3) servings of dairy, not milk.

Actually, there is one (1) study that shows chocolate milk is a better recovery drink than Gatorade and Endurox. It is based on nine (9) endurance athletes.

as for #2, interesting reads, includes the study you talk about

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-as-an-effective-post-exercise-rehydration-drink.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

They are interesting reads. Thank you. I don't dispute that low fat milk is a good part of a healthy diet. I think it even works well as a recovery drink. I just think it's criminal that the dairy industry mass markets these distorted claims and throws out non-committal language like "research shows..."

I've still only read one study about chocolate milk. Nine subjects. No placebo.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    "Eat when you are hungry, don't eat when your not."

"Listen to your body." (Concerning eating)

I don't know about anyone else, but my body is greedy and a liar.
  • Acg67
    Options

They are interesting reads. Thank you. I don't dispute that low fat milk is a good part of a healthy diet. I think it even works well as a recovery drink. I just think it's criminal that the dairy industry mass markets these distorted claims and throws out non-committal language like "research shows..."

I've still only read one study about chocolate milk. Nine subjects. No placebo.

how do you think diary always gets included in the USDA guidelines, not like dairy is the only place to get calcium. one could make the same claim about big ag and grains.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    That does it! The cake diet starts tomorrow!

I hate hearing people talk about how they don't eat that much and still can't lose weight. If people would ever write down every drink, every extra bite while cooking ect I think the majority of these people would find that their metabolism is not the issue.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

how do you think diary always gets included in the USDA guidelines, not like dairy is the only place to get calcium. one could make the same claim about big ag and grains.

I think grains is too broad. There are just so many, good and bad. And so many ways to eat them too. But say corn, and I'm with you.

Not like that's a big secret, though...
  • jonbobfrog
    Options
    that excercise is fun!!!

ABSOLUTELY! I still hate exercise.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    one co-worker told me once that she was only going to eat fruit because its healthy and then wondered why she gained 10 pounds :grumble:
  • Acg67
    Options
    ketogenic diets have a metabolic advantage

you can eat as much fat and protein as you want and not get fat just as long as you don't eat carbs
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    1. If you sit down right after a meal, your tummy will be bigger. :huh:
    2. If you stop exercising, you muscles will turn into fat. :noway:
    3. Cardio alone is enough :laugh:
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing people talk about how they don't eat that much and still can't lose weight. If people would ever write down every drink, every extra bite while cooking ect I think the majority of these people would find that their metabolism is not the issue.
    ^^^^ This^^^^ People really lie to themselves to the point of believing that they are fat on the 'low calorie' diet that they are on. Really??????? How's that working for you????? They are so full of it.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

^^^^ This^^^^ People really lie to themselves to the point of believing that they are fat on the 'low calorie' diet that they are on. Really??????? How's that working for you????? They are so full of it.

I have seen people that eat very little and are grossly overweight, though. Even on camping trips when we're together 24/7 I noted how little he ate. So unless he's reeeeeeeealllly making an effort to hide it...
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I have seen people that eat very little and are grossly overweight, though. Even on camping trips when we're together 24/7 I noted how little he ate. So unless he's reeeeeeeealllly making an effort to hide it...

It's not hard to hide a bunch of heath candy bars...My friend picks at a steak dinner but will scarf down on cake and cookies. What is she doing???
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    "Eat when you are hungry, don't eat when your not."

"Listen to your body." (Concerning eating)

I don't know about anyone else, but my body is greedy and a liar.

Mm no, my body is actually pretty smart about when it needs food and what. Usually when my body lies to me its to tell me that its ok, it can go on without water/food for a little while longer.

Its my brain that's a greedy-liar. My body says "hey I'm hungry/tired/low on energy, its possible we didn't eat enough". My brain says "OH GOD CINNAMON ROLLS ARE THE BEST EAT FOUR OF THEM SO WE CAN STORE FAT FOR LATER."
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

It's not hard to hide a bunch of heath candy bars...My friend picks at a steak dinner but will scarf down on cake and cookies. What is she doing???

I have a friend somewhat like that. She's over 250 lbs but when I eat with her, she barely eats ANY food -- but then if she orders a DRINK its a venti frappacino, a large italian soda (syrup and CREAM), strawberry daquiris, etc etc. Her food intake isn't that bad and its not even VERY unhealthy (although she doesn't eat veggies and fruit enough) but her drink intake is ridiculous. And the only diet she ever does is a low carb diet where she lives in sugar free jello and sugar free drinks for a while, drops 30 lbs ....and then gains it all back because HELLO you can't live on sugar free jello and when she stops doing the low carb thing she goes right back to the strawberry daquiris and venti macchiatos and whatever else.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Anything like high fructose corn syrup crap pisses me off. Best commercial ever if you havent seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9vZYj-aJ4

I hate people who say things about chemicals and ingredients, but have no idea about the molecular structure or how they work in the human body
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

lol...nice

I doubt that's what's going on here. He never even drinks his calories. Always black iced coffee :(