What's the worst nutrition or fitness myth you've heard?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Anything like high fructose corn syrup crap pisses me off. Best commercial ever if you havent seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9vZYj-aJ4

I hate people who say things about chemicals and ingredients, but have no idea about the molecular structure or how they work in the human body

table sugar = sucrose which is a dimer of glucose and fructose. 50% of every molecule is glucose, which can be metabolized by every cell in the body.

HFCS is a long chain polymer of fructose, which can ONLY be metabolized in the liver

What do you think your body has an easier time digesting?

Sounds like YOU are the one who needs to learn about molecular structure
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anything like high fructose corn syrup crap pisses me off. Best commercial ever if you havent seen it:

I hate people who say things about chemicals and ingredients, but have no idea about the molecular structure or how they work in the human body

table sugar = sucrose which is a dimer of glucose and fructose. 50% of every molecule is glucose, which can be metabolized by every cell in the body.

HFCS is a long chain polymer of fructose, which can ONLY be metabolized in the liver

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet has got to the the worst thing I have ever heard of. Sometimes paying a "doctor" close to $1200 for multiple weekly injections of a pregnancy hormone, than eating only 500 calories a day of limited foods. I dont understand how people get sucked into this BS!!
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

The trouble with quoting Alan Aragon is that he's a devils advocate while the substance of his message really just proves that the alarmists don't have sufficient data for their extreme reactions his counter arguments are equally limited. Just because HFCS doesn't make your liver explode doesn't mean it's healthy either. I'd argue the real problem with HFCS is that it's being put in everything as a flavor enhancer which makes people desire more sweetness to get the same neural response. The same would be true of any sweetner being used en masse. But that's just my opinion.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Aragon is great for helping a novice read critically, but not so great at presenting unbiased views of the data (imo). I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss rodent studies, especially given that we are genetically engineering rodents to practically eliminate any and all confounding - something that is impossible in human subjects.

He's also a little incorrect (probably intentionally so). The most common commercial sweetener is HFCS-55 which has more fructose than sucrose. He claims that every molecule of fructose has a glucose molecule attached, and that isn't the case. It's corner cutting like that that makes me suspicious. I'll just stick to JAMA and NEMJ.

Even so, I don't worry much about leptin resistance. I worry about the process of adding HFCS (or any sugar) to EVERYTHING. It's impossible to eat HFCS in moderation in America today unless you make all your own meals from whole foods at home.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i love this thread!

i live in china, and i hear so many crazy things from the girls here.

1) watermelon will make you fat
    2) drink hot water all the time, especially before and after meals. it will keep any of the oil in the food from solidifying in your body and making you gain weight. but don't drink too much. because that also makes you fat.
    3) muscle on a woman makes her look big and "fat"
    4) eat more papaya, and drink more milk, and your breasts will become fuller and larger.
    5) eating fruit and yogurt together is very bad for your stomach
    6) eating only three apples a day is sustainable and just what the doctor ordered for weight loss!

... :$
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Apparently There was a whole argument and I wasnt even here for it!

Im not saying HFCS is better than sugar by any means. Im just saying you cant automatically say that its pure poision and will cause sudden death, as many people I have dealt with have said. When given an option between the two, of couse Table Sugar is a better option, because as you said, it has a less complex polymer chian. Im not arguing that plain sugar is not a better option. My point is it doesnt make you instantly fat by eating it. Same thing as said in the video. Used in moderation, its perfectly fine
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My mother: 'Water makes you fat.'

My mother: 'Any carbs make you fat.'

My mother: 'Stop eating after 4:30pm because eating makes you fat.'

Yup...wisdom of my good old Taiwanese mother...
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    1. consuming 24 oz of daily daily supports weight loss

2. chocolate milk is the best post workout recovery snack

Both brought to you by Dairy Management International and Milk Promotion Services of Indiana

if #1 one was supposed to be milk, it's sort of true since a calcium deficiency can hurt weight loss but not to a huge amount
    #2 there are studies to show that choc milk is a pretty good pwo drink, but not sure if any research shows that it is superior to every other pwo snack, normally when talking in absolutes like best it's untrue

Also a bit controversial -and it the jury is still out on this - there some studies have shown that calcium (rich) from a raw source (coupled with vitamine D) promotes weight loss. Just saying.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you eat standing up you get fat ankles. Ha ha - and a confession - I tell my children this so they sit down and eat.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Im not saying HFCS is better than sugar by any means. Im just saying you cant automatically say that its pure poision and will cause sudden death, as many people I have dealt with have said. When given an option between the two, of couse Table Sugar is a better option, because as you said, it has a less complex polymer chian. Im not arguing that plain sugar is not a better option. My point is it doesnt make you instantly fat by eating it. Same thing as said in the video. Used in moderation, its perfectly fine

Yea, people are ridiculous and have completely illogical reasons for avoiding certain things. "I don't eat processed foods" or "Oh, that has CHEMICALS in it"

It's pretty humorous.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Also a bit controversial -and it the jury is still out on this - there some studies have shown that calcium (rich) from a raw source (coupled with vitamine D) promotes weight loss. Just saying.

And I dont doubt it! But the dairy industry is notorious for distorting stuff like that. Sure, calcium and vitamin d from a low fat source, in moderation. Except that's not the message the dairy industry sends...lol
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    "Eat when you are hungry, don't eat when your not."

"Listen to your body." (Concerning eating)

I don't know about anyone else, but my body is greedy and a liar.

^^This
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Eating at buffets would give me Manboobs. Wait thats a fact. sorry...:embarassed:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, you aren't burning fat.
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That humans need to eat meat to live / grow muscle / be an athlete / whatever else.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Yea, people are ridiculous and have completely illogical reasons for avoiding certain things. "I don't eat processed foods" or "Oh, that has CHEMICALS in it"

It's pretty humorous.

Glad we are on the same page ;-)