Is Flirting REALLY Harmless?

Replies

• Ask yourself that question next time you see your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend flirting with someone in front of your face. Even worse if its behind your back.

THIS...
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Men thinking I'm flirting with them if I ask what time it is so I really don't see any way to avoid it.

It's wishful thinking on their part...
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Flirting is harmless UNLESS it invites action.

exactly
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    I AM A BIG-TIME FLIRT! I flirt with every woman I talk too..lol..jk.

Flirting is innocent. If you are feeling someone you better do more than just flirting.

I talk a lot and am in sales so it comes with the territory. I think a majority of the people on here are flirts to be honest with ya!

So with that being said "How YOU doin'? (In my Joey from Friend's voice)..lol
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I don't think flirting is truly harmless, even if both parties are single, because you have absolutely no control over how the other person is going to interpret your "flirting." You may not have meant anything by it, but the recipient of your flirting may take it differently.

As for people in committed relationships, it totally depends on the individuals. Some people think it's funny when they see their significant other getting attention from (or giving attention to) someone else, but others get almost irrationally upset about it. It's your responsibility to know how your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend is going to feel and to act accordingly.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I am an evil *kitten* by the standards on this thread. :-D
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Yes flirting is harmless, but if you continue to flirt without boundaries then it will go further than you want, so be wise with your flirting.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    I often avoid talking to women, because they all seem to think every time you talk to them you are flirting with them. I watch my kids all day, and if i ever even suggest to another "mom" that we have a playdate she immediately thinks I am trying to get in her pants. Don't flatter yourselves ladies.........we are not all trying to "bed" you.......................
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    I am an evil *kitten* by the standards on this thread. :-D

• I used to think it wasn't harmful, just a sign of healthy sexual appetite, maybe a little attention- seeking tendency, which isn't always a negative thing. But ever since I got together with my husband, and I'm in this fulfilling relationship, I genuinely don't have the urge to flirt anymore. When people flirt with me, it totally puts me off. If anything, I might tell my husband about it later, so that WE can flirt. :) I'd say that if flirting is a constant thing or something you do compulsively, without meaning to, (and you're in a relationship), maybe you (or he or whoever) aren't getting what you need from the other person.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Flirting, in and of itself, is harmless.

It doesn't have to be a gateway behavior to infidelity.

I flirt all the time. Never cheated in over 20 years. My wife flirts with all my friends. Hasn't slept with a single one of them.

^^This

My husband and I flirt all the time. We even flirt with each other.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    I’ve heard people say, “I'm a harmless flirt”…but is there really such a thing?

What if the person being flirted with takes it seriously?

What are your thoughts?

I think flirting is harmless if your both single. But if you have a spouse and you wouldn't do it in front of them then it's wrong. Or if they do and you wouldn't do it in front of their spouse. I personally wouldn't. But I see it on here all the time. I think MFP needs a relationship status at this point, so people can know if the person is a grease ball or not.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Men thinking I'm flirting with them if I ask what time it is so I really don't see any way to avoid it.

Obviously it's TIME TO GET IT ON! :laugh:
  • 2Heavy2Long
    2Heavy2Long Posts: 315 Member
    Some people do it to get their foot in the door

Is that what they mean by "getting it in" on that Jersey Shore show? :smile:
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Kind of touch and go subject. I would say it's all about boundaries and respect for the other person.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Depends on the people involved, i play and joke all the time but im not trying to hook up with anyone so i say harmless bur orhers will say harmful
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    I think it depends on the two people and how they take it. If it makes you lust after the person, obviously not harmless. If it is more of a joke, harmless.

I use to flirt, but some people took it too seriously and now, out of respect for my marriage and my husband, family, ect, I do not flirt really.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    I think minimal flirting is harmless under a couple of circumtances.

1) You're out one night and you dance and flirt a bit, never to see that person again.
    2) You flirt with someone who you will never meet (e.g. online, penpal) and you have made it clear it is nothing more than that.
    3) It's someone that you have a mutual understanding that things will NEVER go further than that, EVER.

Flirting is human nature. We all want to feel beautiful, sexy, and wanted. Even with a full time partner, a busy life may get in the way of your basic human needs. You may love and be in love, never to love another again, but you still crave that feeling of sexiness that a busy partner may not always be able to provide. I think flirting is healthy. It's kind of annoying when people say stuff like "I love my man, he's my best friend, I don't need anyone else!". Because frankly, that's not normal. You're probably smothering your "man"....

That is exactly what I would have said...But you put it in so much better words.
  • If flirting is the difference between $25 of tips a night vs $125 in tips then I say flirting is good! If you're just flirting to get some kind of ego boost, then I think it's bad.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    I’ve heard people say, “I'm a harmless flirt”…but is there really such a thing?

What if the person being flirted with takes it seriously?

What are your thoughts?

I think flirting is harmless if your both single. But if you have a spouse and you wouldn't do it in front of them then it's wrong. Or if they do and you wouldn't do it in front of their spouse. I personally wouldn't. But I see it on here all the time. I think MFP needs a relationship status at this point, so people can know if the person is a grease ball or not.

I agree if you wouldn't do it in front of your spouse, then don't do it
This discussion has been closed.