Is Flirting REALLY Harmless?

12346»

Replies

• tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    There are two different kinds of flirts, in my opinion (maybe three):
    1) Flirting with the intention to not only snare the attention of the opposite sex, but to entice them into a relationship with them.
    2) Flirting with the intention of teasing to gain friendly attention, or compliment to make someone feel good about themselves (or to make the flirty person feel good about themselves).
    3) Being friendly, which is interpreted as flirting.

People tell me all the time that I'm such a flirt, but I don't think I am at all. I'm simply being friendly and not in an overt fashion, in my opinion. I have facial expressions that are interpreted as flirtatious, when I'm just winking to show them that I'm not serious about a sarcastic comment or joke that I made, lest my deadpan humor be construed seriously. I have an eyebrow raise that looks like I'm come-hithering you when I've really got a muscle out of whack that does so when I try to raise both of them at the same time.

That said, I had a guy from work (married) who flirted shamelessly with me (single). When he would say inappropriate things like that to me, I'd say "What would your wife think about that comment?" or "Should I rip your arm off for patting my butt or should I just have your wife do it?" (Nobody ever accused me of being a doormat....at least not recently anyway. LOL)
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    I have only flirted with girls when my wife was with me, like at a party, or with close friends. The wife and the "flirtee" knew I don't mean anything by it. Ten years go by before I knew it bothered her. So I don't anymore.
  • I guess it depends on whether or not the parties in question are 'available'. Flirting is a form of 'play' ...

­­Misunderstanding the signals can lead to some uncomfortable and embarrassing situations. The most important aspect of flirting is the intention behind it. Sometimes the words used are very innocent, but the speaker's delivery, expression or mannerisms make them appear flirtatious. It can be difficult to know when someone is flirting with you or who might be receptive to your flirting.

Although, I believe you can innocently flirt and you can also flirt with intention .. it still comes down to 'intention'. There is huge difference between the two.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Men thinking I'm flirting with them if I ask what time it is so I really don't see any way to avoid it.

You could buy a watch??

A flirt is ok if it is taken as just that, some people get all the wrong signals and take it too far.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    No.
  • My wife and I have a rule, "If you wouldn't do it in front of me, then you shouldn't be doing it." Its our definition of cheating. Applies to all things.
  • OP u need to get your own daytime show. you would b a perfect fit for oprahs old slot.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    OP u need to get your own daytime show. you would b a perfect fit for oprahs old slot.

LOL
    I've always thought the same.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    it kinda depends on context <.<
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Harmless if you're single!!

My wife and I have a rule, "If you wouldn't do it in front of me, then you shouldn't be doing it." Its our definition of cheating. Applies to all things.

Thats a good one!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    I am with those that agree that if your significant other were doing it, and it would hurt you, then don't do it. What my question is what is flirting for you? I personally am not a natural flirty girl unless I am with my boyfriend. We have our own made up language and inside jokes, I would never say certain things to other men, unless in his presence and they knew I was joking. I have said, my you look handsome today to some co-workers as a compliment but I don't really consider that flirting.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    On the other hand, I've had men think my being nice is an open invitation that I am interested and it is certainly not! Maybe they grew up in an environment around *****y women, but we were never permitted to act that way in my family.
This discussion has been closed.