McDonalds......unavoidable

Options

Replies

• theworldatlarge
    Options
    I'm at McDonalds 40 hours a week yet I avoid it for the most part..haha. I only eat our oatmeal, no brown sugar, and I'll put our grilled chicken on a salad I bring from home. Our salads are crap, you might as well just eat a Big Mac.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I was on a road trip the other day and we were going to stop at McDonalds for lunch, so I pulled up the nutrition info on my iPad (thank goodness for the iPad and internet access!). I chose the grilled chicken ceasar salad (190) and the newman's balsamic vinegrette (35 - lowest calorie dressing option). I also added the croutons (60) for a grand total of 285. And it's a BIG salad so it was satisfying. Not half bad if Mickey-D's is your only option. If you need to add more calories to the meal, you can add a fruit and yogurt parfait or one of the real fruit smoothies, or other options but those are two favorites.

Not sure if anyone already posted the link to their nutrition info, but here it is if anyone needs it:
    http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The calories are listed. Stay within or bring your own food. Nobody is going to notice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I will probably be called a food snob for this one, but . . . if being hypervigilant about what I put in my body makes me a food snob, I'm okay with that.

Anyway, I won't buy / eat meat from any fast food place. The sourcing practices and ingredient lists scare me.

New Grilled Chicken Fillet

Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor, sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.

Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).
    And it tastes good:)
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There's lots of options if you check it out ahead of time. I used to love McDonalds! Now, if I have to go, I go low carb and get either a double cheeseburger or the grilled chicken club without a bun. They wrap it in lettuce. and for a treat I get the kiddy cone (45 cal and 8 carbs!)

I also always keep a protein bar or some beef jerky in my purse for emergency temptations. I love the atkin's caramel nougat bars or the nut roll ones. Then I don't feel deprived and I can sneak little pieces out of my purse!
  • theworldatlarge
    Options
    I've worked at McDonalds for 7 years and reading through this thread there are so many menu items listed that I've never even heard of....Oh, America...you get so many better things than us, haha.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do not step into McDonalds. Avoid it if you can, but if you cannot then have a salad.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go and then get the Fruit and Walnut Salad. Not a great choice, but there aren't any great choices there.

I disagree. Have you looked at a nutrition guide lately?? The grilled chicken is very good for you. The salads are healthy. The new bun for the chicken is whole grain. The parfait is made with vanilla yogurt and real strawberries and blueberries.

It's all about portion control. I eat at McDonalds 5 days a week. ( I manage one) I have lost an average of 2 pounds a week and have been to my Doctor and my cholesterol levels are fine and he said I am very healthy overall.

There are good and bad choices to be made anywhere you go, but as long as you stay informed and pay attention to what you eat and how much of it, it shouldn't matter.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go and then get the Fruit and Walnut Salad. Not a great choice, but there aren't any great choices there.

I disagree. Have you looked at a nutrition guide lately?? The grilled chicken is very good for you. The salads are healthy. The new bun for the chicken is whole grain. The parfait is made with vanilla yogurt and real strawberries and blueberries.

It's all about portion control. I eat at McDonalds 5 days a week. ( I manage one) I have lost an average of 2 pounds a week and have been to my Doctor and my cholesterol levels are fine and he said I am very healthy overall.

There are good and bad choices to be made anywhere you go, but as long as you stay informed and pay attention to what you eat and how much of it, it shouldn't matter.
    Don't confuse 'em with facts. They're too busy piling on to the "Evil Fast Food." :noway:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

I believe that if you take into account the sources and ingredients of these foods, they cannot be considered healthy. What kind of life did that chicken have? What did it eat? (You are what what you eat eats.) Why must it be prepared with trans-fatty margarine? The cheeses, glazes, dressings, and other stuff added to the salads are full of additives and junk -- the only way around those is to eat only the vegetables. I am willing to bet that "whole grain" bun is full of high fructose corn syrup and preservatives just like any other commercial bread. The parfait has 20+ grams of sugar as well as additives and artificial flavor.

I do not mean to preach, but since my post was challenged I wanted to make clear why I believe McDonald's is never a truly healthy choice. Regardless of all of this, I am happy for you and your success.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Don't confuse 'em with facts. They're too busy piling on to the "Evil Fast Food." :noway:

If you would like to discuss facts, please inform yourself. There are some excellent books. I suggest "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser to start.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to salad w/grilled chicken and no dressing?

Throwout whatever crappy condiments they give you 'croutons, fried tortilla strips' and get your zombie on
  • alexappleton
    alexappleton Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So I went with a grilled "signature" chicken wrap, sweet chilli cucumber. It was a normal size wrap, on whole wheat. Can't find any nutritional information on this meal anywhere. In thinking the sauce will be a bit harsh, but I was well under my counts today. Also had a small piece of birthday cake.

Thanks everyone for the info. Didn't mean to cause such a commotion!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you take into account the sources and ingredients of these foods, they cannot be considered healthy. What kind of life did that chicken have? What did it eat? (You are what what you eat eats.) Why must it be prepared with trans-fatty margarine? The cheeses, glazes, dressings, and other stuff added to the salads are full of additives and junk -- the only way around those is to eat only the vegetables. I am willing to bet that "whole grain" bun is full of high fructose corn syrup and preservatives just like any other commercial bread. The parfait has 20+ grams of sugar as well as additives and artificial flavor.

I do not mean to preach, but since my post was challenged I wanted to make clear why I believe McDonald's is never a truly healthy choice. Regardless of all of this, I am happy for you and your success.

You took the words out of my mouth! :)

That's exactly why I never go there these days. I used to go there all the time. I'm constantly worried about the high fructose corn syrup and GMO ingredients that they use. Now that I understand a lot more about food in general, I literally get sick just thinking about what they serve there.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

You took the words out of my mouth! :)

That's exactly why I never go there these days. I used to go there all the time. I'm constantly worried about the high fructose corn syrup and GMO ingredients that they use. Now that I understand a lot more about food in general, I literally get sick just thinking about what they serve there.

Ditto. This site, the friends I've made here, and my own research is enough to scare me out of fast food...and even some restaurants in general, such as Subway.
  • Heather0611
    Heather0611 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just ate there for lunch today. I had the bacon ranch grilled chicken salad (260 calories) with southwest dressing (100 calories). I also bought the fruit and yogurt parfait for a snack later, I love them and at 160 calories with real fruit I don't think you can beat it. I'm full now from the salad and it was very good! I don't think all fast food is crap, you just have to plan it out before you go and like all things take it in moderation. :happy:
  • erica14304
    erica14304 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Whenever we do eat there which isn't often, I order a Happy Meal.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Take your own? That way you get to eat with everyone else while still feeling good about your choices. Or before ordering anything ask for a nutrition sheet...it'll show what the best options are!

This. McDonald's is ALWAYS avoidable. I say this because I was in one when it was robbed and I've never been in one again. I was 4 the last time I was at McD's, it is very much avoidable.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a cheeseburger and a couple of fries. Yum!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i get the kids 4 pcs nugget meal with apple dippers and diet coke...less than 400cals and if you want something else have cake with the party....enjoy your niece's party and relax, it's one meal...