McDonalds......unavoidable

Options
12346»

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken whole wheat no mayo, apple dippers and a diet coke.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So I went with a grilled "signature" chicken wrap, sweet chilli cucumber. It was a normal size wrap, on whole wheat. Can't find any nutritional information on this meal anywhere. In thinking the sauce will be a bit harsh, but I was well under my counts today. Also had a small piece of birthday cake.

Thanks everyone for the info. Didn't mean to cause such a commotion!

Sounds like you made a terrific choice! Congratulations on staying aware of your own goals while still celebrating life!

You caused no commotion - this is a terrific group of folks with dynamic personalities - I personally have loved reading every entry on this thread - very informative!

Great post!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I actually work there for fun. I order a cheeseburger but I want it special. I have them omit the ketchup, substitute real onions for the dehydrated ones, and add a lettuce leaf and a tomato slice. I round out my meal with a side salad with 1/2 a pack of the low-fat Italian dressing and apple dippers with caramel. It's filling and under 400 calories. Plus, the caramel dip is like dessert.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you take into account the sources and ingredients of these foods, they cannot be considered healthy. What kind of life did that chicken have? What did it eat? (You are what what you eat eats.) Why must it be prepared with trans-fatty margarine? The cheeses, glazes, dressings, and other stuff added to the salads are full of additives and junk -- the only way around those is to eat only the vegetables. I am willing to bet that "whole grain" bun is full of high fructose corn syrup and preservatives just like any other commercial bread. The parfait has 20+ grams of sugar as well as additives and artificial flavor.

I do not mean to preach, but since my post was challenged I wanted to make clear why I believe McDonald's is never a truly healthy choice. Regardless of all of this, I am happy for you and your success.

You took the words out of my mouth! :)

That's exactly why I never go there these days. I used to go there all the time. I'm constantly worried about the high fructose corn syrup and GMO ingredients that they use. Now that I understand a lot more about food in general, I literally get sick just thinking about what they serve there.

Ditto. This site, the friends I've made here, and my own research is enough to scare me out of fast food...and even some restaurants in general, such as Subway.

Yeah, Subway really freaks me out. I know people who used to work there who told me how the bread is made....eww. Plus, the new "healthy" 9-grain wheat bread contains high fructose corn syrup. The chicken has "added chicken flavor", which is corn. Most corn grown in this country is GMO. Their veggies are bottom-of-the-barrel grade, not organic, sprayed with bleach and ammonia (I once bit into a cucumber slice that tasted like chemical kitchen cleaner), are often of the GMO variety. Not healthy at all.

Even the "healthy items" at McDonald's are not what they seem. Dressings, sauces, breads, even ketchup are loaded with high fructose corn syrup, they blanch their fries in beef tallow, they have "mystery" ingredients and preservatives in many items, and half of their food doesn't even decompose! There's a video on YouTube of a McDonald's hamburger and fries that a woman purposely left on a plate in her livingroom with time-lapsed photos over the course of 6 months. It looked exactly the same as it did when it was fresh at the end of the three months, and no bugs, ants, or mice came after it. I'm sorry, but if it doesn't decompose naturally or have any other living things trying to consume it, I won't touch it. I used to eat McDonald's growing up, and continued to eat there often until about 2 years ago. No wonder I got fat.

This stuff is not food. It is food-ish.

Don't get me wrong, I will eat fast food, but only certain kinds. But not from these huge corporations that have no regard for their customers, since they have NO regard for what they feed them.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

That's exactly why I never go there these days. I used to go there all the time. I'm constantly worried about the high fructose corn syrup and GMO ingredients that they use. Now that I understand a lot more about food in general, I literally get sick just thinking about what they serve there.

If that has you constantly worried i wonder what the rest of your life is like. Surely there are far more important things to worry about than high fructose corn syrup which you could have without knowing about it and be none the wiser.

Seriously, people either need to stop exaggerating or be thankful their lives are a damn sight better than they could be...
    continued to eat there often until about 2 years ago. No wonder I got fat.

No wonder, if you ate there often. Again, confusing the fact it wasnt the food that got you that bad, it was frequency. Eating it ocassionally is fine. You may not like it, but it wont make you fat. Eating there too much probably will.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

If that has you constantly worried i wonder what the rest of your life is like. Surely there are far more important things to worry about than high fructose corn syrup which you could have without knowing about it and be none the wiser.

Seriously, people either need to stop exaggerating or be thankful their lives are a damn sight better than they could be...
    continued to eat there often until about 2 years ago. No wonder I got fat.

No wonder, if you ate there often. Again, confusing the fact it wasnt the food that got you that bad, it was frequency. Eating it ocassionally is fine. You may not like it, but it wont make you fat. Eating there too much probably will.

Um, first of all, you are being far too judgmental and making assumptions. I never personally insulted anyone, however you choose to personally insult me.

I ate at Mc Donald's once a week. To me, that is often. Don't assume until you get the facts.

I do not worry about high fructose corn syrup. I avoid it for specific reasons. To educate you on the topic a bit, it's artificially created in a lab from large amounts of government subsidized corn. It causes severe spikes in insulin when consumed and happens to be in many products on the market. That's just scratching the surface. I could go on.

There are many products on the market placed in front of us that we unfortunately become addicted to. Thankfully I learned the dangers of GMO foods, High Fructose Corn Syrup, artificial sweeteners, simple/fortified carbohydrates, and most mass-produced fast food. I don't "worry." I make better choices.

Think before you talk out of your neck next time, thanks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Remember all, we're here for the same reasons, to become healthier and for support, if we could all just try to make sure we keep comments respectful and constructive that would be a huge help towards keeping these forums a positive and informative place.

This thread is a bit charged up right now. My advice as a long time user, if something really gets under your skin, step back from it, and maybe refrain from responding until you can do so in a positive manner.

thank you all.

SHBoss1673
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I got fat on quarter pounders, fries, sodas, breakfast biscuits, hashbrowns, and milkshakes, but now I'm getting thin on salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, water, and smoothies. When talking about weight loss, it's not just about where you eat or how often you go there, it's about the choices you're making when you get there. I completely understand that a lot of people personally avoid certain places b/c they feel it's important for their health and lifestyle to keep certain things out of their bodies, but not everyone feels the same way or feels that certain things are okay in moderation. I think it's fine and dandy to throw out there that people might want to consider looking into the ingredients or processes that are used so that people can decide if it's an issue for them, but if you do it in a way that is condescending it's quite possible to turn people off of the whole idea - which is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve. You catch more flies with honey (local, if you prefer ;) ) than with vinegar.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would have just gotten a coffee and ate when I got home. But I haven't eaten at McDonald's in over 9 years so it would be easy for me
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    I got fat on quarter pounders, fries, sodas, breakfast biscuits, hashbrowns, and milkshakes, but now I'm getting thin on salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, water, and smoothies.
    Isn't that a song? :happy:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    I got fat on quarter pounders, fries, sodas, breakfast biscuits, hashbrowns, and milkshakes, but now I'm getting thin on salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, water, and smoothies.

Is it really? I have no idea, that would be cool though. LOL
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options

There is a song that we sang as kids about big macs, shakes, and fries. But I can't remember it. We did a special clap to it
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options

There is a song that we sang as kids about big macs, shakes, and fries. But I can't remember it. We did a special clap to it
    They also said Quarter Pounder in it
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    This was a "hit" some years back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dPXxPGbmM
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love the chicken mcmini's
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

OMG that is too funny! "Let's eat.... to the beat...." LOL
  • HMonsterX
    Options

OMG that is too funny! "Let's eat.... to the beat...." LOL

I warn you... that tune gets stuck in your head...
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    In this thread: Food snobs act like they never leave the house for a meal.
    Not to mention that people that give their biased opinion on McDonald's (disgusting and nasty are two) are indirectly insulting people who may have it in their weekly or occasional food accounting. Nothing like the food police. Ironically they're on here because they haven't figure out how to eat right either.

Do you know what an opinion is?
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Oh dear FSM...why wont this thread die?!