• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    BAM! SPLAT! Uterus on the floor.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    I can see how it would be detrimental to your uterus.... but I have no idea why you'd want to stick a dumbbell up in your girly bits. :tongue:

You mean it doesn't help tone that area too? :laugh:

Maybe if you are doing Kegel exercises, I suppose the dumbbell would strengthen that area.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Wow. I would probably send an email to the store manager letting them know that at least one of their employees is giving out really stupid fitness advice. Considering it's a sporting good store, that is just not good lol.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I have just started to lift heavier weights going from 5lbs. to 10 lbs. then a little later will go up again. Since I'm just using my brother's 10-lb. dumbbells so I decided to go to a sporting good store to buy my own sets of 10 & 15 lb dumbbells. However when I went to a sporting good store, a woman sales clerk offered me some that suits for women which is 2-4 lb dumbbells & told me that its not advisable for a woman to lift that heavy like the way I do since it is bad for our uterus. In contrast, I have subscribed to many fitness articles online & all of them said that it is generally OK for women to lift heavy weights. So I just want to know your opinions about this. Is it generally safe for women to lift heavy weights?

Did she try to sell you some HCG?
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Wow..... I'm amazed at how stupid that woman is. Her butt needs to be fired if she is going around saying that in a sporting goods store.
    If you aren't going to lift heavy then you might as well not weight train... 3-5 pound dumbbells aren't going to do anything for you. Once you get used to a weight and it becomes easy, you SHOULD move up.
  • Taegan45
    Taegan45 Posts: 9
    Options
    I believe thats an old stereotype, women arent suppose to lift heavy. I LOVE lifting weights and use an average weight of 15-20lb and heavier for my chest and back. There are so many health benefits for women who lift, it builds muscle which burns more calories and fat, it increases a womens metabolism, it allows your body to filter more blood which rids it of toxins and keeps your blood well oxygenated. It also increases bone density. I could go on and on about the benefits ha ha.

If weight lifting is done properly and you keep your body fueled with the right amount of protein and carbs, there is no reason not to lift. However, if done improperly of course there will be issues. And another thing to mention, the lady may have mentioned the uterus because if you over lift and dont give your body the breaks it needs in between work outs there is a possibility your period can stop coming....if that ever happens see your physician right away and talk with them.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is going vag curls, but for what you want you can go well over 3 lbs. Check out the strong lift group.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    That woman needs to be

1316_falcon-punch.jpg
  • mztrackfield010407
    mztrackfield010407 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's definitely not true according to my knowledge since I know those who lift heavier weights and are fine...including me.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    sounds like the tracy anderson weight lifting advice “Only three pound weights. No woman should lift more than 3 pounds weights.”
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Then again, maybe she was trying to encourage you that if you lift heavier weights your uterus will fall out and make your stomach flatter. She was trying to be helpful. LOL

I brought my groceries in last week and stepped on the scale holding the bags and then not holding the bags - turned out I was carrying around 50 lbs worth of groceries. I think I lost my spleen in the parking lot.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I lift 8 to 15 pounds and will continue to go up as it feels too easy. Pffft bad for your uterus...

I have never heard of such a thing! Ask your trainer and lift your heart out!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I lift 8 to 15 pounds and will continue to go up as it feels too easy. Pffft bad for your uterus...

I have never heard of such a thing! Ask your trainer and lift your heart out!

That's what the sales lady is warning about! Lifting your heart right out of your chest!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    SMDH! Where is GOOGLE when you need it?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If someone said that to me, I'd be looking around for the camera and waiting for a prank show host to come running out! The lightest weights I lift are 25 pounds, and last I checked, my uterus is just fine, thank you very much.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    Ridiculous! I lift as heavy as I can...in Pump class, machines and free weights. Lifting is awesome for women, and lifting heavy is fun! Wow, why are so many women afraid of it????
  • McGirrGrant
    McGirrGrant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to that!!! I was a Powerlifter years ago and let me tell you I lifted more then 4 lbs!! I benched 180 lbs, deadlifted 320 lbs and squated 330 lbs....and my uterus is just fine!!! :)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has raised this but you do need to make sure you are activating (lifting) your pelvic floor correctly to avoid excess intra-abdominal pressure and 'bearing down' on the pelvic floor muscles - perhaps this possibility is more what the sales person was referring to as I've not come across any references to damage to the uterus.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I've been lifting heavier than that while pregnant! But my uterus is still growing.... Although, seriously there has been a link between placental abruption during pregnancy and heavy lifts, especially when associated with breath holding. But that's about all I got
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely silly. Why would 10-15lb weights be bad for a woman's uterus that's built to hold an 8lb baby? Not to mention women are usually the primary caregivers of their children and you don't just leave your 15lb child on the floor to protect your uterus! haha! I've never ever heard this before, but it sounds ridiculous!