For women who lift weights

Options
12346»

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I would have loved to see her face if she was serving me and I told her I squat 105 lbs and deadlift 135. Then I'd introduce her to my uterus, which would be dragging two feet behind me
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I thought I was really pushing it with the 15 lb dumbbells for my bench press today but ignored my womanly intuition. I stood up and picked up my 20 lb dumbbells and started in on my squats and BAM! SPLAT! Uterus on the floor. I should have listened to the sales lady.

Oh thank goodness- me too! Now I don't know what to do... am I supposed to add the weight of my uterus to my deadlift total? HELP!?!221!

/sarcasm just in case. MFP's boards are so damned touchy.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am now squatting and deadlifting over 100# after beginning weight training about 6 weeks ago. I would have laughed out loud if that woman said that to me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    <- So I wonder how she feels about 175lbs...
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I would have loved to see her face if she was serving me and I told her I squat 105 lbs and deadlift 135. Then I'd introduce her to my uterus, which would be dragging two feet behind me

ummm, Miss, I think you dropped something...
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't do hardcore weight lifting but I regularly lift my 40 lb 4-year-old and just had another baby, so I'd say lifting heavy objects has no effect on your uterus (unless you're pregnant or something) lol
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy with proper form is great for your muscles and aiding in weight loss and bone health.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    this made me laugh out loud. I lift anywhere from 30 to 160 lbs. And my ob/gyn hasnt given me a death sentence. thats like saying chewing food too hard is bad for a mans prostate.

:laugh:

I have deadlifted 225 on a couple occasions, and my uterus is still intact and right where I left it.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy all the time, and I'm pretty sure my uterus is fine. I haven't spoken to it in a while though, so I might want to check in. It might be holding a grudge against me.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    unless you are lifting 15 pound weights WITH YOUR ACTUAL UTERUS, i don't think it does anything :P

Actually you don't have to be lifting with your uterus to be causing damage to it.

To the OP: I'm not saying women shouldn't lift, but try not to go too heavy too fast relative to your own strength. Meaning, if you're brand new to lifting and relatively out of shape, don't start with 30 lb dumbells. Yes, lifting CAN affect your core, including your uterus. Otherwise women with risky pregnancies wouldn't be told to limit their lifting load (which they routinely are).

Lift, but like any other exercise, don't go way beyond your limits. Push yourself bit by bit. But yeah, 2-4 lb weights are useless lol

I was thinking about how it relates to pregnancies. Other than that or if you have a uterine prolapse, heavy weights are fine.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    *hushed tone of voice* There might be something to this. On Monday I had a killer lifting session. I PR'd some stuff: 120 on lat pull downs. I did half my weight on back extensions, a few other woo hoo heavy lifts. It was awesome.

The next day I started bleeding from my girlie bits. I must have hurt my hooo hah.

And as I think about it, about a month ago I had a good session. Then I bled.

Oh noes!

Lift heavy. You don't need to buy 8 pounders. Just whatever gives you a challenge to do 10 reps or so. And depending on what the lift is, your weight will be different.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I guess it could be bad for your uterus if in some freak accident you drop a barbell on your pelvis. In normal circumstances, no.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I have just started to lift heavier weights going from 5lbs. to 10 lbs. then a little later will go up again. Since I'm just using my brother's 10-lb. dumbbells so I decided to go to a sporting good store to buy my own sets of 10 & 15 lb dumbbells. However when I went to a sporting good store, a woman sales clerk offered me some that suits for women which is 2-4 lb dumbbells & told me that its not advisable for a woman to lift that heavy like the way I do since it is bad for our uterus. In contrast, I have subscribed to many fitness articles online & all of them said that it is generally OK for women to lift heavy weights. So I just want to know your opinions about this. Is it generally safe for women to lift heavy weights?

lol. no. just no.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    The lady that told you that is an IDIOT! LOL You need to lift weights to straighten your pelvic floor. Also lifting weights is so good for you in many ways. I lift heavy weights. I squat about 150 lbs, deadliest 125 and curl 20. I am NOT bulky at all and feel great! Seriously that lady is crazy. Lifting weights can help with bladder strength and easier births!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread, I started watching a Futurama episode and happened across this gem:

Kegelcizer.jpg

Seemed appropriate! :laugh:
  • sweetslover22
    sweetslover22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at the uterus remark lol, and i left my bfs 15 pound dumbbells all the time lately :),i get sore arm up top buit it means musles!! :glasses: ,hope you get the results yuo want girl :):smile: