VERTICAL CHALLENGERS! Home to all shorties out there. (OPEN)

Options

Replies

• TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I have NO problem eating to 1200, and then my exercise back. I am trying to make healthy choices, but I still easily max out if I'm not careful. I'm sure if you searched the message boards, though, you'll find that you're not the only one with that. I think the most common reply is to eat spoons full of peanut butter or a handful of almonds, etc.
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well, thats good news about the BODYPUMP class, I must say! I'm actually kind of excited to incorporate it into my workouts with that glowing review! Thank you!

So I have a question. My calorie goal is 1200 (probably like most of us who want to lose is) but I want to eat as healthy as possible. I'm finding that I have to include things I wouldnt normally eat just to reach that number. I am routinely somewhere around 900. I *am* losing weight and I work out (I burn about 1700 calories a week). I am not currently eating any of my exercise calories back but I do plan to try to eat at least half of them back once I lose about five more pounds.

Are all of you eating 1200 or more? Or do you come in under sometimes?

I'm trying not to eat white bread or white rice or potatoes even though I LOVE those things. I know I'm only two weeks into this and I have gotten some VERY good ideas on high calorie foods like peanut butter, avocado, and nuts. I'm hoping to improve my eating habits AND get to 1200 calories. Its just kinda rough right now.

I sometimes have trouble getting to 1200 also. I try to eat back some of my exercise calories and really make sure to get at least 1200 on days I workout hard. But I do sometimes still have trouble getting to 1200.

It's gotten easier as I've learned to make some tasty foods that are also healthy. Skinnytaste.com has become my go to site for recipes.

Feel free to friend me if you want to see my diary.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!!

Hope all of you are feeling good and ready to go!

Saffyra, for the (relatively) short time I've been on MFP whther or not to eat back your exercise cals is a bit of a hot potato, as is going under your cal limit. I've decided that the answer is....Do what you want - so long as you are healthy.

This is a completely personal view of mine - but I think to get in every nutrients we need on 1200 is difficult. I personally eat above (only by 100 or so) and then burn off to make a deficit. That has worked for me so far and ended a bit of a plateau I was at. However, I am happy to conceed that maybe my BMR is a touch higher than I put down, so maybe that's why eating a bit above works for me.

If you really are struggling to get the food in I would suggest taking a multivitamin, more for the minerals than anything else. On 900cals and working out you are at risk of putting your electrolytes a bit out of whack. It's good that you are looking at easy ways to up it though. I think a banana is a good easy way to up it, as is hummus.

Just make sure you feel good, make sure you can exercise well without feeling too breathless/faint/weak (breathing hard is different to breathlessness). Make sure your skin, hair and nails look good as these are often an indicator of deficiency. In short (haha) be good to yourself.
  • bobbijo47
    Options
    I also stay with the 1200 calories. This past weekend and yesterday, I went overboard :{ Today is a new day.:} My son (3years) told me last night he will exercise with me. So he told me to run up and down the slide, so I did and boy do I feel it in my abs, legs and butt area. Great exercise..... (I did it about 10 times)
  • Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    Options
    MrsBlobs: the donut always gets me, seriously have wrote about the donut twice since joining. Kuddos for being strong!! I also eat only about 100 above my calories regardless of exercise.

Saffyra: Chalean X is the same. You don't have to know anything (I didn't). SHe's very slow and takes you through and tutors all of them over and over again. I have weights that you can dial in the weight. A five lb and ten lb would suffice at first.

linbaby: a tugging dog is an excellent workout !
  • jackshortstack
    jackshortstack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So excited we have a home!! One question to you fab petites - how do you survive all the temptations of the weekends? Dinners out, sports events, parties, etc - I can't seem to stick to my 1200 calorie goal. :( Super frustrating to be the lame one at the event because I can't eat or drink.
  • jackshortstack
    jackshortstack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh and I guess I should introduce myself (sorry - new at this!). I'm Jackie - 5 1/2" and I live in Manhattan. I've tried to lose the same 10 to 15 pounds my entire life and now that I just turned 30, this time I'm GOING TO DO IT!

I work a demanding job so exercise and healthy snacks are difficult... coupled with my deep love for good food and wine, I've certainly got my work cut our for me.

But I am SO EXCITED to finally have a network of fellow shorties who can give me good pointers and inspirations along the way. I promise to do the same!

xoxo
    Jackie
  • MissD89
    MissD89 Posts: 102
    Options
    Oh and I guess I should introduce myself (sorry - new at this!). I'm Jackie - 5 1/2" and I live in Manhattan. I've tried to lose the same 10 to 15 pounds my entire life and now that I just turned 30, this time I'm GOING TO DO IT!

I work a demanding job so exercise and healthy snacks are difficult... coupled with my deep love for good food and wine, I've certainly got my work cut our for me.

But I am SO EXCITED to finally have a network of fellow shorties who can give me good pointers and inspirations along the way. I promise to do the same!

xoxo
    Jackie

Hi Jackie,
    Welcome to the team. Glad to have you here. As far as your question about how we deal with the weekends indulgences.. I would have to say, for myself, I do give myself 1 day a weekend to "splurge" a little without feeling TOO guilty. I just make sure if I do, I also do some kind of excersise to make up for it. But, when I indulge, I do try to stay relatively close to my 1200 goal. If I go over my 100, then thats my splurge day. I mostly will just eat something I wouldnt normally eat during the week (i.e. soda, diet of course, or a donut with my morning coffee) But, the times that get REALLY tough though, are not so much my weekends, but more at family gatherings n such because I definately notice I eat a lot more when I'm with my entire family .. because there is ALWAYS foood.. and lots of it. and everyones always eating. So, it gets hard to not want to eat, too. But, I just try and stay away from the food, unless I get hungry, and then I eat.. I'll avoid the "snacks" and munchie type things and just go for the real food and eat only til I'm satisfied and also when I know I'm eating more than I should be or less healthy than I should be, I always drink lots and LOTS of water. literally to the point where I have to pee a few times an hour. Hope this helps a little. Try not to be so hard on urself, but do be dedicated. I read somewhere that a good way to remind urself to avoid unhealthy foods and over indulging is by purchasing a weight loss book and take it with u everywhere u go..Good luck! and Happy losing!
  • MissD89
    Options
    Hello fellow shorties!!

Welcome to our new members. I love the interaction going in the “room” already! This is exactly what this group was designed for, all of us to come in with anything on our minds.

I want to share with you a thought I had last night. As I was skipping through channels, I came across the “Insanity” workout DVD collection. You guys know… where you have to EARN the shirt not buy it. I couldn’t help but laugh and smile at the same time while watching the infomercial again. Just a few months ago I remember thinking that’s exactly what I need! I’ll be in shape in no time, the best I’ve ever been! So enthusiastic, but glad I didn’t buy it. If anyone reading this is like me, then you’ll know how it feels to put in your all, feel the pressure and pain and immediately quit! So I couldn’t help but laugh at my desperate attempt at something I could not handle at the time, but also smile at where my thoughts are today. I began to think… soon I will be that success story where I put my before and after picture side to side and see all the work I put into it. I was so glad I finally woke up and smelled the coffee and realized I need to go at this slowly and at my own pace to keep it a lifestyle change and not just think getting through a DVD was going to help me with my real issue… “eating my emotions.” I also couldn’t help but smile at the fact that I was watching the infomercial and realizing I wasn't sitting there WISHING, I could look great and feel great about my body. I’m feeling it now. I then decided to take installment 3 of my photos during this transformation and saw how far I’ve come. I was also able to point out places that needed to shrink, but knew my next photo would be even better. Although I’m not at my goal and don’t have the body I want NOW… I and WE ALL NEED to CELEBRATE OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS! Whether it’s getting exercise in because we’ve feel as though we’ve been slacking (linbaby4) :wink: or not TOUCHING THE FLIPPING DOUGHNUT (MrsBlobs) :wink: … celebrate it fellow shorties :drinker: … because the “SMALL” things do count just like us small lovely people and it all adds up in the end. Every small change we do is helping us and even if we have a setback we know there was a time when we made small and large changes and that we are FULLY CAPABLE of doing it again. I want everyone to remember that and think about that the next time you feel you aren’t getting anywhere, because you are and you will. :heart:

Girl, I read this and totally compared myself with it. Thank you for this reminder. I do tend to be rather hard on myself if I go 10 calories over, or I didn't get as much exercise in as I could for the day.. but, you are totally right, we need to be proud of what we are doing RIGHT NOW and celebrate it. =)
  • MissD89
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am 5' 1/2". I never had a weight problem until my early 30's. Now I am struggling to take it off. I am trying anything that works to stay focused on eating healthier. Today at work I was so obsessed with wanting a candy bar I almost went craxy. Instead, I decided to make a list of the top 15 reasons I shouldn't eat that candy bar. Believe it or not, seeing all of my reasons in writing kept me from getting that candy bar. Also, taking that 15 minutes helped distract me from the craving.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

That is awesome!!! Lovin the dediation! Never have I done that before though. I really am going to try that. Not only is it good for making u see in black and white what your reasons are, but like you said.. DISTRACTING YOU! hah. love it. great job
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jackie! Welcome :)

Thanks for the ideas, Mrs. Blobs. I have hummus and am getting gummy vitamins (I've had issues before with taking a multivitamin, it always makes me want to vomit after I take it).
    My BMR is 1300 according to this website.

I just dont want to eat crap just to get to 1200. Today if you look at my diary, I think I'm doing pretty good! I went grocery shopping based on ideas I've found in others diaries.

Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful morning! I'm off to work.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So excited we have a home!! One question to you fab petites - how do you survive all the temptations of the weekends? Dinners out, sports events, parties, etc - I can't seem to stick to my 1200 calorie goal. :( Super frustrating to be the lame one at the event because I can't eat or drink.

I burn it - or try to. Want a bottle of red? That's an hour of zumba. Alternatively I have considered saving up 600cals to factor in a bottle without the burn...but decided that was possibly a bit unhealthy - I wouldn't recommend. :happy:

Keep logging would be my serious advice and do burn excess if you can. You will start to learn what a portion looks like and roughly how many calories are in xy & z. Go forearmed, work out what you can afford before you go. so long as you are good for the rest of the time and continue losing and achieving your goals, one cheat meal a week that isn't TOO bad shouldn't break the bank. Life is for living, after all.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Jackie, I agree with the prior post - burn it! When I know I have a party or get together on the weekend, I'll do an intense workout that morning so I have room for some of the treats going around (like wine, fajitas, etc).
  • jess213tx
    Options
    Hello fellow shorties! My name is Jessica, I'm 26, married, no kids yet, from Austin, TX. I tell everyone that I am 5'0", but my doctor told me this month that I'm really only 4'11"!

I've never truly been happy about my body, but until a few months ago, I was in deep denial that I really needed to do anything about my weight. About a year ago, my blood pressure was continually high when I went to the doctor and she recommended I work out and try the Dash diet. I tried, but was never able to stay consistent with eating better and working out for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

In July I found MFP and all of that changed. Probably the biggest factor was that there are so many people here that are on the same journey that I'm on, that have been through the problems and doubts I'm going through, and who are willing to answer all of my crazy questions :) For the first time, I really feel like I have control over what is going in and out of my body - and it feels great!

9853375.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Ok! I'm going to try again with my bio....and copy it before I hit Post so if it glitches I have it somewhere!

I'm 27, I live in Ontario...I was raised in the country and was alway very active - I've played baseball, volleyball and whatever else I feel like should a team form, but I'm better at those first two. Once high school was over I didn't play organized sports anymore so that was the beginning of the end - I look back now and can't believe I used to run suicide sprints for huge blocks of time without any problems and now I can hardly do one!

I went through an awful relationship with a chef, go figure, where I was living on my own and eating like royalty when we got along and drowning heartache in ice cream when we weren't. I finally got rid of him and moved to the beach to live with my parents for a while, so I could pay off some student loans. The long hikes with my dog helped...my mom's home cooking did not.

Now I live in the city with my wonderful boyfriend of 4 years, who should own pom-poms because he's such a good cheerleader for me. I'm on a mission to get rid of all the extra pounds I gained between the bad ex, the cuddling and junk food with my boyfriend and everything in between.

I feel like a switch went now that I'm on MFP and I'm pumped to see where I'll be at in a while!
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel that the hard part of working out is getting to the gym/wherever you're working out? That's certainly the case for me. I was so proud of myself yesterday for *entering* the gym 3 times in 1 week... but that excitement faded when I realized I'd packed a cardigan rather than sweatpants.

I contemplated working out in my dress pants & even hopped the locker room to determine if that was possible, but no such luck. Sigh.

I hope I'm not alone in my absent-mindedness! =P
  • MissJennZ
    MissJennZ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel that the hard part of working out is getting to the gym/wherever you're working out? That's certainly the case for me. I was so proud of myself yesterday for *entering* the gym 3 times in 1 week... but that excitement faded when I realized I'd packed a cardigan rather than sweatpants.

I contemplated working out in my dress pants & even hopped the locker room to determine if that was possible, but no such luck. Sigh.

that is ABSOLUTELY the hardest part of going to the gym for me. I am on the go from 4:30 AM until 11 PM 4 out of 7 days of the week. I pack my gym bag EVERY night before i go to bed and put it in my back seat. I always have it with me so when i have a spare 45 minutes between appointments i go to the gym or just put my shoes on and go for a jog/walk. Having it always there is a reminder that i really should go and that all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

I also have my gym bag filled with snacks, some good some bad because somedays i just NEED a piece of chocolate. like today...but instead i bought a yogurt parfait, thats the same as a chocolate bar right?!?! YES! totally the same...ill keep telling myself that. totally the same....

DONT GIVE UP ON THE GYM!!
  • young9
    young9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i'm in! as long as its not too late! i'm 4' 11 3/4. i cant leave off the 3/4...its important to me! lol
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Absolutely the hardest!!! And I constantly checking and rechecking because I'm paranoid I've forgotten something important. I wish I had all the machines at home, because with travel time, shower time, etc. I feel like it takes hours to get a workout in!
  • jess213tx
    Options
    Here is my bio: My name is Nichole and I live in Vermont. I am going to be 32 in a month and very much missed being at my goal weight by the time I was 30. I have two kids, a boy, 7, and a girl, 4. Since I have had the girl I have been trying on and off to exercise and eat right and become the 115 I used to be and thought I was fat. There is one reason I have not achieved my goal, I have given up every time and gone back to eating anything I want to. It really doesn't help that my BF eats whatever he wants, but that excuse needs to leave my head. I think I have given up too because the weight it not coming off as fast as I want it too. I was doing well, and then this summer I fell off the wagon for awhile and gained even more weight and am now the highest I have been in awhile. It's awful. I joined a boot camp in the mornings for 6 weeks, and I am in the 3rd week of that. After that is completed, I am going to do some work out videos at home, just not sure which ones yet. I am going to make it to my goal this time. AND, this time I realize, it may take quite a few months to do that and that's ok.

I would suggest the 30 day shred video. It took me a few extra days to get through the first part because I was so sore, but once I finished my 30 days I was much stronger and noticeably leaner.

We have a "Health Coach" through work and she recommended that I add 3 days of weight training to my normal cardio workouts. Once I sent her a list of the moves in the Ripped in 30 video, she said I could use it for my weight training days as long as I'm using the heaviest weight I can handle :) So I'll be doing cardio every other day with the Ripped in 30 video in between. Try it and see if you like it! The video was only $10 at Walmart.