J CREW - C25K - WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• pizzygirltx
    Options
    I did week three last week but forgot to post on here.....MY BAD!

Starting week 4 today and kinda scared about it.

But EXCELLENT work to everyone who is keeping it up. YOU ARE AWESOME!
  • inkdgirl
    Options
    I did w4d2 tonight and running outside is very different than running on a treadmill.. Im having a hard time with the 5 minute runs.. I will be repeating this week again. My route I take has 2 hills and Im working on my pace. I was able to run 1.9 mi in 24 min tonight so I think thats pretty good!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I did w4d2 tonight and running outside is very different than running on a treadmill.. Im having a hard time with the 5 minute runs.. I will be repeating this week again. My route I take has 2 hills and Im working on my pace. I was able to run 1.9 mi in 24 min tonight so I think thats pretty good!

I did W4 D2 last night too. I run outside as well....on a golf course and the fairways can be elevated. That second 5 min run is a challenge for me as well! Gonna try to finish the week on Wednesday then I am heading out of town. Worried I won't be getting my exercises in on the road. UGH....hopefullly the place we are staying has a gym.!! haven't tried this program on a treadmill!
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    Week 4 day 1 done and MAN it was difficult for me! I may have to do this week for a while before I move on to the next.
  • MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone- just checking in, finished Week 4, day 3 today.:smile: ..and it wasn't so bad. I'm a bit embarrassed:embarassed: :embarassed: because I finally figured out why I was having so much difficulty with the last couple of runs...apparently my husband has been setting the incline to ridiculously high elevations 8, and when I thought I was resetting it it wasn't quite getting there- I definitely felt the different with today's run vs the others...so thanks for the advice,debs6.... I will continue on track with starting week 5, this week!

Cool Runnings Everyone!:glasses:
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    Week 4 day 2 completed yesterday. However, I am still unable to get thru the 5 minute runs without having to walk some because of side stitches. I think I will be repeating this week again until I can get it done without having to stop.

Anyone else battling side stitches? what are you doing to stop them?
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    W5D2 done - and so much better than the first run of the week. Day 1 was hard right from the warm up - my first hill during the warm up challenged me. I had fought off an awful headache in the morning- so looking back that might have had an impact.

Today was great- so hard to believe that i could run for 8 whole consecutive minutes----TWICE! I am still taking it very slowly as my goal is to do the full amount of time and work on speed later. Glad it boosted me up- because on Saturday I get to do the 20 minute run without a break - but I am beginning to think that a large part of it is in the mind- so I am ready for it. If I don't manage - I will just keep trying until I do.

Mocha - I am really pleased that you sorted out your obstacle- now you can keep forging ahead. Remember to have the treadmill on a small amount of incline- otherwise i am told it is like running downhill the whole way. You will want to build you endurance enough to run outside if wanted. Hehehe - although your husband was obviously causing you to way overdo things.
    It is great you worked out the problem.

Pizzygirl- I have not had any issues with side stitches-although I have heard on other forums that others have experienced them. Are you trying to go too fast, perhaps try slowing down a bit. The other issue might be breathing..... are you managing to get into a nice breathing rhythm? I can imagine lack of air would contribute. I would advise you to become comfortable with running 5 full minutes before you move into week 5 as the time arcs up very quickly and you would want to be succeeding with 5 minute runs before you move onto 8 minute slots - then on D3 -the 20 minute run. I don;t think you will have to repeat often - as the body quickly adapts-- you will get there very soon

Keep it up ladies - we are going strong!!

Debbie
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    W4 D3 tonight! Gearing myself up for a good run to burn off this junk food I've been eating!!!
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    Greetings Everyone!!

I just wanted to check in! I'm still forging ahead :wink: I did Week 5, Day 1- wasn't too bad. I made it through...a bit of a challenge.... 15 minutes of running! WoW, :noway: :huh: I surprised myself, kept at the slower pace. ...doable.

Debs6- Thank you for that tidbit, you know I didn't even consider making sure the incline was bumped at an incline....after that previous experience I was placing it at 0.0:laugh: . So for those of you who are doing C25K on the treadmill what incline level are you doing it at? Any suggestions that wouldn't be too aggressive for a novice runner like myself?
  • debs6
    Options
    Good job Mocha Blue- as I mentioned - for some reason unknown to me, I found day 1 of week 5 the hardest of the three runs- so I think you are set to do well this week.

Pizzy - have you managed to get over the stitches? Don't let them put you off- you are doing so well and there are so few of us still going compared to those at the start.

Good for you Kyak- a sure way to rid yourself of some of the unwanted side effects of take away food.

I am pleased to report that earlier this evening I managed to complete W5D3. It went really well. I was mindful of not letting my heart rate go too high as I have recently come off blood pressure medications- but this was all doable by keeping the pace slow to not allow my HR to climb above 150. I was very comfortable with the whole run - and was shocked when the prompt came that I was half way through .......wow :)

With that run under my belt , I am at last confident that I can actually complete.

Keep it up people - we are going really well.
  • KiyaK
    Options
    Finished W5 D1 yesterday. Wow! Didn't even realize I was on week 5 already until just now. Definitely glad I put in my gym time on a Friday, even though I REALLY didn't want to. Felt like junk from eating tons of sugary treats at work. Definitely feeling the need to keep my diet clean today, haha!

debs6- Good job sticking with the program and making it work with your health concerns. That takes dedication!

MochaBlues - I do C25K mostly on the treadmill and keep the elevation at 2. When I head outside, I notice that it is a little harder than the treadmill, but not completely killer. I feel like it's a good compromise for me :)

Another great side-effect of C25K, my legs are shrinking! My husband told me the other day that my thighs were half as big as they were before. I know that's an exaggeration, but the fact that he noticed means that they are definitely smaller! Haha. And I'm starting to see muscle definition in my calves and quads. Awesome!!
  • debs6
    Options
    Kiyak - good for you - a nice surprise for you to realise how far advanced you were and pleased that it went well. I found that first week five run one of my most difficult and have to assume in hindsight that maybe I just wasn't well on the night as every single aspect of it was a challenge- yet the second night was great.

I have also noticed a huge difference in the size of my legs- probably both the c25k and my regular walking. I just wish it would do likewise on my stomach- at this pace I am going to end up looking like a bull ant with a large body and chicken legs:):)

Keep up the good work!
  • KiyaK
    Options
    Hahaha, debs6, you're hilarious. Just remember that belly fat is the last to go unfortunately. This post really helped me understand that concept: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/375476-losing-belly-fat-ugh?hl=pond+belly+fat&page=1#posts-5117640

Completed W5 D2 last night, but I somehow missed the walk in the middle and my husband made me run the whole thing! So I essentially did D3. Geesh. My lungs were DYING by the end. Hopefully the real D3 tomorrow will not be as bad :S

Also, WHERE IS EVERYBODY!!! I miss seeing everyones' updates & where they are in their progress! Hope people are still sticking with the program and just forgetting to share :)

Good luck everyone!
  • debs6
    Options
    Kiyak - thanks for the link to the article- I will be sure to have a read.

Well done with week 5 - my guess is that you will just steam ahead with day 3- good luck with it!

I did my first day of week 6 today and it went really well- I was so pleased with it. My 3rd run for this week will be a full 25 minutes- then the following they are all 25 minutes. The truly good thing is that I am pretty happy with the progressions and as such am not too worried about the next few days as they roll out.

I agree- this thread has teetered out- such a shame. I am sure Mocha will come back soon as she is going really well. Let's at least keep it going from our point of view.
    Debbie
  • debs6
    Options
    Kiyak- thanks so much for posting that link. What a fabulous analogy - and one that I can fully understand rather than reams of technical stuff that I do not understand.

Delighted to have you as a new friend as well :)

Debbie
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    Hey Good People!!

Well, Week 5 Day 2 is done!! WOW:noway: :laugh: I probably should have looked ahead before I started the run. I sooo wasn't expecting the jump to two 8 minute runs! I SURPRISED myself- when I started my app, I thought there was No way I was going to make it through...:happy: I'm really in awe that I got it done. What a testament to how much endurance we all actually have. Anyhow, I actually finished 1.75 miles on the treadmill in the 30 minutes, did the 8 minute runs at 4.0 miles. I took your advice Kiyak and set the treadmill on an incline although I only set it at 1.5 this run...wanted to ease into the 2.0:smile: !

Well that's it for now! Hang in there and Cool Runnings everyone:glasses: :drinker: :drinker:
  • debs6
    Options
    Good for you Mocha:) It truly is staggering about the endurance that we build up in such a relatively short period of time. It really seems that whomever wrote this program really knew what they were doing - I certainly didn't believe it possible - but am so surprised with each transition.

I think it was probably wise to gradually build up the incline of the treadmill- especially seeing the program is pacing things up very rapidly in week 5 - so the last thing you want to do is to overdo it and place unnecessary stress on our bodies.

Keep up the great work crew- happy running! Gee it will be over before we know it.

Debbie
  • KiyaK
    Options
    Completed week 5 today... wow. No longer have a gym membership and it was the first cold, rainy day :grumble: Luckily we have an old, loud treadmill at my mother-in-law's house. Oh man, it was horrible. My knees are pretty sore now. But I won't be giving up!!

Not sure what I'll do for w6 d1, as I usually run it on Friday, but we'll be in Kansas City for the weekend. Supposedly the hotel has a fitness center, so hopefully I will be able to work it in :S

Greak job sticking with it ladies!!!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I know you alll think I am crazy after finishing the 5K...but I am now running with a partner. She says I have a fast pace???:tongue: I don't think so...but, Tues and last night..we just did week 4 again. I am anxious to hit on up to the week 5! KiyaK ...how was it really? Do you mainly run outside then?
  • debs6
    Options
    Well done Kiyak- you are going really well. I have been doing my running outside - but just did W6D2 today and I have to say that my knees(especially my right knee) is really quite sore. I am thinking that the main cause might have been that I spent most of my time running on paths - whereas in the past I have tried to spend a good amount of my time on grass surfaces. The other sspect might be that I actually ran fast and also further than I have ever run. I am just hoping that it all settles down before Saturday when I am meant to be running for 25 consecutive minutes.

Good luck with upcoming runs

Debbie