What age is appropriate for you kid to start dating?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
I know it's subjective, and my daughter has a LONG way before this happens, but it's always good to hear ideas from parents who have already ran into this. So hit it!!!!

Replies

• alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    No kids yet. Sorry niner. But when I have a daughter? 35. :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    man... I dated when I was 15ish..
    But I would prefer my kids wait longer. Like 25 sounds good.. That whole karma thing scares the bajeebus out of me.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    As a 20 year old, really dating in my opinion, as a guy, shouldnt happen until 16, when you can drive yourself places. Anything before is just childish crushes, saying you are boyfriend and girlfriend, when you have only maybe held hands, never talk to eachother, whatever. Everything before, getting drove by your parents, etc is not only akward for the kids, but really akward for the parents too.

Note: This is coming from a serious place, not the whole irritating and annoying, my daughter is never gonna date because she is not allowed to have a life, or live in any fashion like a normal human being. I feel as though as soon as this reply posts there will be 5 people who said exactly that, but Im just saying, these people are being simply rediculous, and are not working to actually help the poster, they just think that joking about overparenting is cute.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Haven't made my mind up yet. But, I know when I disagree with someone. lol... Recently had a friends who posted that her 11 year old son was out on a date with his girlfriend. They went to dinner and a movie.

Ummmm...NO!
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    my husband would say 35, I'm more realistic (or at least I think so) in saying 17.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Let's see, he's 2 now, so I'm thinking 25 . . .

(I met my husband when I was 13, refused to date him because I knew I was going to marry him and needed to save that relationship for later. kissed him a lot, but dated . . . we'll say a few guys . . . started dating M when I was 25, married at 29)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have 2 daughters and 40 sounds about right!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Having raised two daughters, their father and I decided that they could date when they were 16. They KNEW this, at an early age. And although we STUCK to that, they tried to sneak around a bit........and generally got caught!

I'll never forget the time that my eldest (who was about 15 at the time) was spending the night at her best friend's house - well, we also had a rule that the kids had to call home around 10 PM when they were over-night like this (that was my x's rule......but what the heck, it worked). She didn't call.

So, he asked me to call their house - Mom answered and said "Oh, the girls went out to a movie with their boyfriends". WHAT???? Hubby got on the line, found out which theatre they went to, WENT to the theatre, into each movie, calling out her name! Yikes (I was home with the younger child, so didn't witness this ;)

She and the bf had left the theatre, and when The Princess got back to her friend's house, Dad was there to take her home. Needless to say, she didn't try that again ;)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Wow, every poster said it. Wow. I just cant understand people
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I started dating at age 12, and had my first long term relationship (1 year) at age 14. But I would say 13-15.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Im going to push my daughter to be a NUN. also I planted shrubs with the biggest thorns I could find under her window the summer she was born.

ok so probably won't push the NUN thing... but I think that 16-17 is the earliest that would be appropriate..... and no war paint (make up) till she is old enough to have a job and buy it herself.
  • amadapooky76
    Options

Yep, I like 40!!
  • igora_soma
    Options
    I was a late bloomer at 18, I think 17/18 is a good age. You are a little more self-assured! It's good to have an open dialogue though, I wish I could have talked to my mom about these things but I didn't think she would understand! Better to have your kid come to you with questions than someone who is less informed!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    MY DAUGHTER IS 15..SHE CAN DOUBLE DATE W/ FRIENDS IF I KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND THERE FAMILY. SHE CAN DATE AT 16
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    whenever yoiu are ready to start having grandkids. I KEED!!!! *That was seriously meant as a JOKE. I watch too many Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant shows, sorry if it came off as offensive, but it really was meant as a joke.

Oh, my dating age was 16. My parents were FIRM about the age, no budging them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Probably 16 for real dating.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Just remember parents - the forbidden fruit is sweeter.