What age is appropriate for you kid to start dating?

Options

Replies

• manorexicmarshmallow
    Options

Note: This is coming from a serious place, not the whole irritating and annoying, my daughter is never gonna date because she is not allowed to have a life, or live in any fashion like a normal human being. I feel as though as soon as this reply posts there will be 5 people who said exactly that, but Im just saying, these people are being simply rediculous, and are not working to actually help the poster, they just think that joking about overparenting is cute.

Wait until you have a daughter of your own, then we'll see if you think that sentiment is simply rediculous [sic]
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Let's see, he's 2 now, so I'm thinking 25 . . .

(I met my husband when I was 13, refused to date him because I knew I was going to marry him and needed to save that relationship for later. kissed him a lot, but dated . . . we'll say a few guys . . . started dating M when I was 25, married at 29)

LOL i love this story!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i wasn't "allowed" to date until I was 16- which honestly really negatively impacted my life. By the time i was 16, everyone else had been dating and I was sort of viewed as just not someone who dates.

I think 12-13 is fine, but i also think at this young of an age we are talking about a chaperoned experience. Most important is you talking to your kids and figuring out where they are at because honestly even when I was 16, I wasn't interested in being "bad" at all.... but when i went off to college, my lack of experience landed me in some seriously bad situations.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scare you parents that say over 16, but many people are already having sex by the age 15-17, and usually kids date prior to having sex, so good luck making them wait that long to start dating.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i started "dating" when I was 14 (freshmen in highschool)... but I don't really think people should be able to date until they are upperclassmen/ have their license. I think 16-17 is a good age because then you can actually at least have enough time to find out who you are, but you don't wait too long and look weird. Whenever the person wants to really.
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old son had his first date last weekend. It was his homecoming dance. The girl he took was nice enough...but her mother kept calling me in the days/week prior to the dance with tidbits like..."your son isn't talking to my daughter"....."he doesn't send her long text...just one word responses"....what's a mom supposed to do with that information? I apololgized to her if her daughter had higher expectations, but that's just my son....he's got alot to learn....and nerves to get over...but he's only 16.....I think we have some time!! I think he's the best thing since sliced bread......
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    With my blessings, my son was allowed to start dating at 17. I'm sure he had a few without my belssings. :wink:

He's 18 now. :laugh:
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    whenever yoiu are ready to start having grandkids. I KEED!!!! *That was seriously meant as a JOKE. I watch too many Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant shows, sorry if it came off as offensive, but it really was meant as a joke.

Oh, my dating age was 16. My parents were FIRM about the age, no budging them.

Careful, bry! There's a MOD on this thread! BOOOO!!!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    also, i personally think it's absolutely ridiculous that people are so uber protective of daughters but don't seem to think at all about boys.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Until they are 18 though, imo, always make sure they are going to bf/gf house when PARENTS ARE HOME. Call and ask to talk to a parent. They arent home? Then you aint going! Just the same with parties. Its shocking to me at times how little parents actually check up on things like that. If your worried about your kid getting preggers or w/e, just make sure they are not the only ones home. Its not that difficult
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Define dating first.

Middle School age kids go to movies etc. as a group many times.... they probably consider that a date. Mom and Dad driving their child to meet someone at a school dance is probably considered a date to many. I also think it depends on the child, their maturity level, the age difference between the two wanting to date, is the boy driving the girl and are they alone etc. etc. etc.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Wow, every poster said it. Wow. I just cant understand people

Really dude? Loosen up. Joke a little. Do you need a hug?
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    First date was 15 - only becasue my parents adored him and his christian family :)

Otherwise, it was 16 If I remember correctly and my parents had to meet then and they HAD to come to the door.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As a 20 year old, really dating in my opinion, as a guy, shouldnt happen until 16, when you can drive yourself places. Anything before is just childish crushes, saying you are boyfriend and girlfriend, when you have only maybe held hands, never talk to eachother, whatever. Everything before, getting drove by your parents, etc is not only akward for the kids, but really akward for the parents too.

Note: This is coming from a serious place, not the whole irritating and annoying, my daughter is never gonna date because she is not allowed to have a life, or live in any fashion like a normal human being. I feel as though as soon as this reply posts there will be 5 people who said exactly that, but Im just saying, these people are being simply rediculous, and are not working to actually help the poster, they just think that joking about overparenting is cute.

For me the "25" and joking about "40" is the closest answer anyone will get from me. The decision of readiness, I think, should be subjective and on a per child basis, as each one is very different.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    21 legal drinking age legal dating age.
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    25, or when I'm dead. Whichever is comes first.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

NOT ME!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how my dad was opposite of most protective fathers, I cannot comment. At 12, he was asking me why I wasn't dating yet. At 16, he wanted me on the pill. At 18, he asked why I was still a virgin. Father of the Year...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I might be in the minority, but I don't want my daughter to date/have a boyfriend until after graduation.

Concentrate on school and having fun with your friends. Relationship cr@p can come later.

She's only 10 now, and so far she's on board with this since boys have cooties. :laugh: :drinker:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Really dude? Loosen up. Joke a little. Do you need a hug?

Um.... I do :bigsmile: