What age is appropriate for you kid to start dating?

Options

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When they're ready. Every person (young or old) is different.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    no kids yet, but I think that my parents got it right when they made me wait until I was 16.

I had "boyfriends" before that, but that was just passing love notes and holding hands and having dramatic break-up scenes in the lunch room. :laugh: I didn't date until 16.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    As soon as they have their driver's license.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Wow, every poster said it. Wow. I just cant understand people

Really dude? Loosen up. Joke a little. Do you need a hug?

What of it? Maybe I do! *cowers in the corner*
  • So glad I don't have kids!!! I started dating back when I was 15. It was awkward because my parents drove us around to the movies. It was much better when I was 16 and could drive around in my car.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Let's see, he's 2 now, so I'm thinking 25 . . .

haha ^^this! my daughter is 2 now, so not until she's 25 or 30!

but in all honesty, probably in high school. at first, supervised dates (like watching a movie with me there to pop my head in) but then at 17ish, alone with the guy. But ONLY with guys I have met several times and approve of! And I'm not sure if I agree with driving together (I remember what happens with 2 teenagers alone in a car!) and I'm still iffy on going to movies alone (same idea as the car!) I'm 110% for group dating! :laugh:
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I'm 27, and married with no kids...

However, for all it counts for, I feel that the more you push an unrealistic dating age on a child, the more they will probably try to sneak around.

What's the harm of holding hands and sneaking in a few kisses at 11/12?

I would personally focuse more on the rules WHILE dating, then just not dating...
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say not until high school & preferably sophomore or junior year, which would put them at 15-16. I think any younger is just too early to date.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I keep telling my son that girls don't get over their Koodies until 25 ish...haha....Cute enough: He then asks me what Koodies are. Crap!

I think 17 or 18 is a good age. (ideally) I was 14 or 15 and was WAY to young in my opinion.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    There's a lot that will go into my decision to when we'll 'allow' our daughter to date (because, lets be honest, she'll probably do it behind our backs if we put an age restriction on her). How she handles herself, her persona, etc but I think 16 sounds decent for now.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scare you parents that say over 16, but many people are already having sex by the age 15-17, and usually kids date prior to having sex, so good luck making them wait that long to start dating.

actually, I heard a study the age kids start fdoing IT these days is far lower that 15-17. It starts more like 12-15. Not for ALL kids, but that is the recent report I heard on the radio.....
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    We told ours she could date when she was 16. She'll be 18 in Feb and has yet to go on a date. Not for lack of interest (she gets asked out all the time and has since she was 12). She just feels that she needs to concentrate on school and doesn't want to deal with the drama of dating in high school.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I started when I was a sophomore in high school: 15. My first boyfriend was a senior, but I was his first girlfriend, so it was very innocent. All the other boys I dated were in the same grade as me or one below. I think 15 was good because I was able to "make mistakes" as it were. I know there were some kids at my school that dated earlier, but those "relationships" were ridiculous. I think 15-16 is a good age to start.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i havent been through it yet, but my husband and i decided 16 would be a good age for our daughters. or whenever they get their drivers license. not only do i not want to play taxi for dates, i have other rules in mind as well ..i have to meet him/her and know where theyre going and what time theyll be home and all that jazz.
    and if they arent polite enough to come to the door, they arent going. nothing i hate more than people honking from the street or driveway.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am there my daughter will be 16 in November, and that is the age her dad and I set man moons ago. Probably before she could sleep through the night.

I have driven her to the movies to and picked her up, where she met a friend or friends. But once they start driving and you release those keys you as a parent have really lost a lot of control, yet gained some too.

Whenever my kids and I have issues where they think I am unreasonable, I tell them that they are not the only ones that have growing pains, but I do to.

Good Luck with the teenage years, I'll let you know if I survive.....my kids are 16, 16, 13, 11 - lots of fun ahead!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    High school (even freshman). It's about when I started dating as well. And that meant sometimes I went on a date with an "older" boy who could drive. My mom was good about calling/talking to his parents and making sure he had been driving enough (not allowed on a date if the weather was bad because of young drivers).

It's ridiculous to think that my son won't date til he's 19 or 20. I was MARRIED at 19 (LOL). I started dating my husband when I was 18. I had 2 very serious boyfriends before that and many single or 2/3 dates with guys.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    We had middle school dances so of course we all had "relationships". These consisted of dancing with each other at dances, holding hands, hugging after school. As we reached 7th and 8th grade these "relationships" consisted of group dates, hanging out at each others' houses (doors open when and if allowed in bedrooms), and kissing. Real relationships don't start until high school though when friends start driving and can find more alone time. My best advise would be to be respectful and teach your daughter responsibility. And keep in mind...the more you say "absolutely not" the more she's going to want to do just that.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am the father of 7. 5 in college, 1 high school and one graduated. All have done well and are well behaved people.

The quick answer is 16. If there was some fancy dance a month or so before their 15th birthday, I would make an exception, but not for anything else. AND at 16 its double or group date ONLY.

At 18... single dating still discouraged, but not forbidden, and no I don't care that they are adults then I am the Dad and I have the wallet '-)