Thinner for Thanksgiving! 7 week challenge

Options

Replies

• mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    As of today (10/7) I am down to 150.6! :happy: And I'm up to 8 regular pushups and 12 from my knees--which is quite an accomplishment since I've never been able to do 'real' pushups at all! Thanks for all the encouragment! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your successes from our first week of the Thanksgiving challenge.

By the way, that's down from 153.0 as my starting weight this month! Yay!
    And Congrats, mobskee--you are doing great with those pushups! We'll be hitting 20 regular ones in no time, right?? :wink:

Good job on the weight loss! Yeah my big plan is to continue doing the push ups every week and start with the regular ones.
  • mobskee
    Options
    Weigh In: 208.8 4.2 lb loss :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • mobskee
    Options
    10/07 Weigh-in = 236.2. Down 2.6 pounds from last week and I could not be happier! Especially with all that damn chocolate cake in the house that I just had to have!!!

I've been doing the pushups everyday, it even got to the point last night that i was in bed for about 15 minutes before I realized I'd forgotten to do them. Jumped out of bed onto the floor and did my 20 pushups. I suggested to Mandy that we do like 50 jumping jacks or 50 crunches as our daily mini goal for this week. If we do change it up, I still plan on doing the 20 push ups to, as I think it is helping my overall goal of achieving a healhier me :p

Happy Friday Everyone!

Dave

WTG DAVE!!! How exciting!!
  • kmvp08
    kmvp08 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow I can't believe I can now do 20 bent knees push ups! How crazy that a week ago I've only done a few push ups in my whole life. It just goes to show that I can do anything I put my mind to. Love having that kind of power LOL

YAY! :)
  • kmvp08
    Options

Awesome, great work!
  • kmvp08
    Options
    I LOVE seeing the results rolling in! Keep them coming, pals!

I was delighted to get on the scale this morning! I weighed 126.0, down from 128.5 last week! Took a peek yesterday with the same result, and I thought somehow it was a fluke. I do find, though, that my weight often plateaus temporarily and then drops. Woohoo! Also, I got 20 REGULAR push-ups in last night. TWENTY! I still can't believe it. Six months ago, I had never done them in my life (nor could I successfully).

I will get our spreadsheet updated later today and also set up another weekly mini-challenge. Any thoughts on that??

Great job! Those push ups were a great challenge.

How about situps or ab work? We can work up to a 60 sec Plank or 90 seconds, not sure what a good number is for everyone, but it will work your core!
  • kmvp08
    Options
    As of today (10/7) I am down to 150.6! :happy: And I'm up to 8 regular pushups and 12 from my knees--which is quite an accomplishment since I've never been able to do 'real' pushups at all! Thanks for all the encouragment! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your successes from our first week of the Thanksgiving challenge.

:happy: Yay! Great job on the push ups. You'll be doing a 100 regular push ups in no time. :)
  • kmvp08
    Options
    10/07 Weigh-in = 236.2. Down 2.6 pounds from last week and I could not be happier! Especially with all that damn chocolate cake in the house that I just had to have!!!

I've been doing the pushups everyday, it even got to the point last night that i was in bed for about 15 minutes before I realized I'd forgotten to do them. Jumped out of bed onto the floor and did my 20 pushups. I suggested to Mandy that we do like 50 jumping jacks or 50 crunches as our daily mini goal for this week. If we do change it up, I still plan on doing the 20 push ups to, as I think it is helping my overall goal of achieving a healhier me :p

Happy Friday Everyone!

Dave
  • kmvp08
    Options

Happy Friday Everyone!

Dave

Great job Dave. (yum, chocolate cake! :tongue: ) I've done that too, where you forget to do your push ups and then "bam" you remember. I like the jumping jacks too. Or, how about jump rope? 200 singles or something?
  • kmvp08
    Options
    About meal planning... On Sundays when my boys nap, I look through tons of recipes on eatingwell.com and I plan our meals for the week. I make a grocery list and go shopping that afternoon. We have meals with meat early in the week and switch to veggie dishes later in the week since I don't want to have to go to the store again! Every Wednesday we have a crock-pot dinner that I put together the night before, so when I get home from a long day of tutoring it's ready!

Yesterday we had eggplant and chickpea stew with quinoa. The eggplant and tomatoes came from our garden, too!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eggplant_chickpea_stew.html

I, too, LOVE roasted veggies! My favorite mix is yams, parsnips, carrots, delicata squash, beets, and Brussels sprouts. Toss them with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, dried tarragon and red chile flakes. Perfection on a cool fall evening!

I love crockpot meals! I usually buy the eatingwell magazine but never bothered to check their website! DOH! Great idea...

On the roasted veggies - if you don't feel like making your own or you're crunched for time both Traders Joes and Costco sell frozen roasted veggies. Just watch the sauce and sodium levels if that's a concern.
  • kmvp08
    Options
    Today I did 7 regular + 13 bent knee push-ups -- got in 1 more regular push-up than yesterday! -- and my usual workout of ~15 min of other calisthenics and 45 min. on the Stairmaster. Increasing by 1 regular push-up each day is great! I think I'm going to keep doing that even after this week. :smile:

I plan all of my meals in advance. Like Dave, I don't mind eating the same things every day, so I just make up a different menu for each of my 5 meals, and then I just use that meal plan every day for a week. I follow that same basic meal plan every week,, but each week I swap in different fruits and veggies for variety.

I also cook up a huge batch of veggies on the weekend and eat it for the rest of the week. I usually make a stir fry of asparagus (3 lbs), cauliflower (3 lbs), red bell peppers (3 lbs), zucchini (3 lbs), white onions (2 lbs), and celery (1 lb). I just stir fry each veggie separately, and then mix it all together with ~1 1/8 cups of Kraft Light Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing. I also stir fry a big batch of broccoli (~3.5 lbs), and I mix it with oyster sauce (~5.5 tbsp) and Thai chili paste (3.5 tsp).

@ Mandy (Mandalicious) - that's great progress on the push-ups! I'm having a great time with this challenge too. This is the first one that I've done, and it really makes a big difference to be in a group like this. I feel more motivated now than I've felt all year! Your recipes sound yummy...I'm definitely going to try them. I'd heard about quinoa but never made it before, so I'm looking forward to trying it!

@ Kelly (kmvp08) -- I know how you feel...work gets really crazy for me sometimes too. That's why I always do my workout first thing in the morning, otherwise I'd end up not being able to do it half the time. Thanks for the recipe! The only root vegetables I've ever roasted are potatoes and yams, and I've never even cooked rutabega, turnip, or parsnips before. I'm going to try your recipe too!

Yum, those combos sound good. On the workouts I've switched to morning the last few days and also started to just do something, ie walk, burpees, whatever if I have 10-15 minutes. My physcial activity calories were low this week so I have to pump it up! :)
  • Balanced_Life
    Balanced_Life Posts: 229 Member
    Options

By the way, that's down from 153.0 as my starting weight this month! Yay!
    That's great progress on the push-ups and the weight loss!
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    Wow I can't believe I can now do 20 bent knees push ups! How crazy that a week ago I've only done a few push ups in my whole life. It just goes to show that I can do anything I put my mind to. Love having that kind of power LOL

@ Maria -- great job all around! Keep up the good work!
  • Balanced_Life
    Options

I've been doing the pushups everyday, it even got to the point last night that i was in bed for about 15 minutes before I realized I'd forgotten to do them. Jumped out of bed onto the floor and did my 20 pushups. I
    @ Dave - that's dedication! :laugh: Awesome work this week -- great job!
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    I was delighted to get on the scale this morning! I weighed 126.0, down from 128.5 last week! Took a peek yesterday with the same result, and I thought somehow it was a fluke. I do find, though, that my weight often plateaus temporarily and then drops. Woohoo! Also, I got 20 REGULAR push-ups in last night. TWENTY! I still can't believe it. Six months ago, I had never done them in my life (nor could I successfully).
    @ Mandy -- that's fantastic! Excellent progress on the push-ups!
  • kmvp08
    Options
    I did not have a weight loss this week. :huh: I've been on a plateau for about 6 weeks now, gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. Ok, I guess that's not really a plateau, there was a vacation in there with a small weight gain and then a 3 week plateau. This is the first time in 6 months that I have not consistently lost weight and it's frustrating.

I will say that I feel smaller in these last 6 weeks and I went shopping this week and actually bought some size SMALLs (sizes vary so much, I know) so while I'm trying to be patient with my actual number I do need to analyze what I'm doing differently vs the previous 5 months. I feel good and that makes me happy and those NSVs help when the numbers don't move.

Part of the issue is exercise. I could eat 500 calories/day and if I don't exercise I still won't lose weight. It's good to know these things about yourself. What makes it difficult is that life gets in the way and unfortunately I'm not independently wealthy so I still have to work. :) Darn it!

I have to go back and re-work my schedule and remember what's most important and what takes precedent.

Glad to have MFP and my community of friends at CrossFit and challenges like this that keep me in the game.

It's a good day to KEEP TRYING! :happy:

Thanks for all of YOUR help and for sharing. Exposing ourselves is not always easy.
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    I will get our spreadsheet updated later today and also set up another weekly mini-challenge. Any thoughts on that??
    I suggested to Mandy that we do like 50 jumping jacks or 50 crunches as our daily mini goal for this week. If we do change it up, I still plan on doing the 20 push ups to, as I think it is helping my overall goal of achieving a healhier me :p
    How about situps or ab work? We can work up to a 60 sec Plank or 90 seconds, not sure what a good number is for everyone, but it will work your core!
    All of those are good suggestions! I was going to suggest the plank as well, so I vote for that. :smile: That's a great core exercise! I can do 75 sec right now, and would love to improve on that. I'm with Dave -- I'm going to keep doing the 20 push-ups and will keep substituting 1 regular push-up for 1 bent knee push-up each day (I could do 8 regular push-ups as of today).
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    On the roasted veggies - if you don't feel like making your own or you're crunched for time both Traders Joes and Costco sell frozen roasted veggies. Just watch the sauce and sodium levels if that's a concern.
    @ Kelly - thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to check that out next time I go to those places.
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    On the workouts I've switched to morning the last few days and also started to just do something, ie walk, burpees, whatever if I have 10-15 minutes. My physcial activity calories were low this week so I have to pump it up! :)
    @ Kelly - that's great! every little bit helps. This week I've also been trying to get extra exercise at every opportunity. Whenever I can walk back and forth instead of standing, I'll do that (did that a bunch of times while waiting outside a conference room!). Whenever I have to stand, I stand on 1 leg and do leg lifts with the other. I'm going to try and keep doing this going forward -- hopefully it helps burn a bit more fat!
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    I did not have a weight loss this week. :huh: I've been on a plateau for about 6 weeks now, gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. Ok, I guess that's not really a plateau, there was a vacation in there with a small weight gain and then a 3 week plateau. This is the first time in 6 months that I have not consistently lost weight and it's frustrating.

I will say that I feel smaller in these last 6 weeks and I went shopping this week and actually bought some size SMALLs (sizes vary so much, I know) so while I'm trying to be patient with my actual number I do need to analyze what I'm doing differently vs the previous 5 months. I feel good and that makes me happy and those NSVs help when the numbers don't move.

Part of the issue is exercise. I could eat 500 calories/day and if I don't exercise I still won't lose weight. It's good to know these things about yourself. What makes it difficult is that life gets in the way and unfortunately I'm not independently wealthy so I still have to work. :) Darn it!

I have to go back and re-work my schedule and remember what's most important and what takes precedent.

Glad to have MFP and my community of friends at CrossFit and challenges like this that keep me in the game.

It's a good day to KEEP TRYING! :happy:

Thanks for all of YOUR help and for sharing. Exposing ourselves is not always easy.

Hang int there. Sometimes its just about changing things up. You have to keep your body guessing to keep things going sometimes. It is good to know that you need the exercise to actually show results. Knowing your body is half the battle in my opinion. Knowing what works for you will help you to achieve that goals you wish to reach.

I too had to re-evaluate / prioritize things once September hit. My wife's schedule as well as mine changed up a bit, which meant more juggling of parenting duties to accomodate with our work schedules. So, my fitness plans changed a bit. At that point I decided to join a gym so I could work out at night after work (get off at 10) or early in the morning before my wife goes to work at 930. So far it has worked for me, and I continue to move in the right direction. We are in this together, and we will push you through this to get to where you want! Keep up the good work and it will show!

Dave