Black Team Challenge Week 3

Options
Hey everybody ... as requested, here is the Black Team challenge to start tomorrow! :happy:

Most of us have been on this weight loss journey for quite a while now, and over time it is all too easy to be a little bit lax about our food intake ... we stop measuring everything and/or logging every bite because we feel comfortable with our program and also feel pretty sure that we know what we're doing on a daily basis. At least this is true for me! But as we all know, over time, our portion sizes can slowly creep up and those little "bites" of this and that add up to a lot more than we suspect!

So my challenge to us this week is to weigh or measure EVERYTHING we eat (ok, I'm not going to measure lettuce even though I do count it, but probably everything else) and, as much as possible, log it BEFORE eating it. I know there are days when we just can't help it because we get caught out somewhere and don't know what we'll be eating beforehand. In those cases, log it as soon as you can, and definitely before you eat anything else at home.

I also encourage us all to continue with getting a minimum of 3 servings of fruits/veggies a day (seriously, if you can do this, especially with veggies, it helps enormously with feeling satisfied on a limited number of calories ... plus it's great for you!) ... and also continue that ab work at least three times a week.

So ... if you're up for the challenge ... let's continue those healthy habits we're developing and recommit to being responsible for everything that we put in our bodies!!

bat_symbol.gif

Replies

• tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody ... as requested, here is the Black Team challenge to start tomorrow! :happy:

Most of us have been on this weight loss journey for quite a while now, and over time it is all too easy to be a little bit lax about our food intake ... we stop measuring everything and/or logging every bite because we feel comfortable with our program and also feel pretty sure that we know what we're doing on a daily basis. At least this is true for me! But as we all know, over time, our portion sizes can slowly creep up and those little "bites" of this and that add up to a lot more than we suspect!

So my challenge to us this week is to weigh or measure EVERYTHING we eat (ok, I'm not going to measure lettuce even though I do count it, but probably everything else) and, as much as possible, log it BEFORE eating it. I know there are days when we just can't help it because we get caught out somewhere and don't know what we'll be eating beforehand. In those cases, log it as soon as you can, and definitely before you eat anything else at home.

I also encourage us all to continue with getting a minimum of 3 servings of fruits/veggies a day (seriously, if you can do this, especially with veggies, it helps enormously with feeling satisfied on a limited number of calories ... plus it's great for you!) ... and also continue that ab work at least three times a week.

So ... if you're up for the challenge ... let's continue those healthy habits we're developing and recommit to being responsible for everything that we put in our bodies!!

bat_symbol.gif
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Alright, I can do this, plus the ab thing 3x and the veggie and fruit. Thanks for posting early!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Ooohhhh...tough one. I'm a notorious "un-measurer". I will do my best, Tresa! Tricky, tricky!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    I can do this!! before I started here I nibbled on everything! most of us with kids know how often we get to sit down and eat something so I have to measure everything I eat or who knows how much I'm eating.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This I can do! I'm in! Here we go black team, here we go!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    great one -- fruits and veggies are not in the budget, though.:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I really need to measure again. I will start here, on vacation!!
    I have been doing the ab work.
    Eating my veggies.

After 6 months counting everything I am doing pretty well out on my own. I find myself turning my nose up at the fast foods being offered everywhere we go.

Dh has even been taking the stairs with me!

Have a great day! I will be weighing in next Wed as I have no scale. :drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Marla, I understand about the budget. I want to go buy some good fruit and veggies but it is what is left in the kitchen!
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I love this challenge! I measure everything that i eat already(have too:ohwell: ) but i do kinda guess with the veggies...

I will also continue with the veggies/fruit and abb work three times a day!

Great challenge:flowerforyou:
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    I already log measure and weigh everything, but I REALLY need to try to eat more fruits and veggies. That's for sure! And I will keep up on the ab thing as well.

Great challenge, Tresa!!! :drinker:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Sounds good. I am a good boy about weighing my stuff so that wont be bad. I am gonna have to fight those fruit and veggie servings though. I will do my best :bigsmile:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Now I'm regretting asking you to post a the night before so we'd all be ready...lol...I thought I'd get a head start and measure out my hummus that I was having with baby carrots for my snack...2 tablespoons seems like a lot...until you pull out a measuring spoon! I even got out the scale and measured 3 ounces of carrots...dear Lord...I thought this was going to be a piece of *carrot* cake (as I usually measure everything anyway) but those tablespoons can get away from you! Eek! This isn't going to be as easy as I thought...but thank God you aren't expecting me to crumble up my belly! :tongue: (HAHA love ya Marla)
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    great one -- fruits and veggies are not in the budget, though.:ohwell:

I don't if this is possible but Wholesalers sell fruit a lot cheaper than you can get at a grocery store. There is one here in my town and I didn't even realize that they sold to individuals. I just thought it was for businesses. For an example, I can get 5 # of bananas for $2.50. I don't know about any of you but that is pretty cheap around here. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose.
  • fearlessliving
    fearlessliving Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This will be easy!!! I love measuring my food with my new scale. YIPPEEE!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Ooohhhh...I don't have a scale. Duh. Well, I HAVE been looking for a reason to buy one! I'll guess until I can get out on Saturday.
  • punka274
    Options
    :grumble: Now I'm regretting asking you to post a the night before so we'd all be ready...lol...I thought I'd get a head start and measure out my hummus that I was having with baby carrots for my snack...2 tablespoons seems like a lot...until you pull out a measuring spoon! I even got out the scale and measured 3 ounces of carrots...dear Lord...I thought this was going to be a piece of *carrot* cake (as I usually measure everything anyway) but those tablespoons can get away from you! Eek! This isn't going to be as easy as I thought...but thank God you aren't expecting me to crumble up my belly! :tongue: (HAHA love ya Marla)

I do the same thing with my natural peanut butter....i measured it yesterday(been known to eyeball it in a hurry) . I will measure it from now on(its just pain to wash all those measuring cups at the end of the day:grumble: )

Oh and what kind of hummus do you prefer? My grocery store recently had sample's of 'Sabra" somekind of pinenut kind....it was pretty darn tasty!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Uh-oh! Amelia asked about hummus! Jeannie & I are a bit of hummus addicts. :bigsmile: She has a TON of recipes you can make at home. Here's my fav.:

http://caloriecount.about.com/classic-hummus-recipe-r165895

The nutrition info. is for the entire recipe, though. I'm sure you can adjust that...I just did that b/c my husband is known for eating all of my hummus in one sitting. You could probably also get away with using less or no salt. TASTY!
  • punka274
    Options
    Uh-oh! Amelia asked about hummus! Jeannie & I are a bit of hummus addicts. :bigsmile: She has a TON of recipes you can make at home. Here's my fav.:

http://caloriecount.about.com/classic-hummus-recipe-r165895

The nutrition info. is for the entire recipe, though. I'm sure you can adjust that...I just did that b/c my husband is known for eating all of my hummus in one sitting. You could probably also get away with using less or no salt. TASTY!

thanks for the recipe...looks simply to make. I plan on getting a food proccessor along with a digital scale sometime in feburary. Im gonna go ahead and print the recipe out....
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    It works really well making it in a blender, too. I have a mini-prep processor (and a HUGE one) but I use the mini one for my hummus. Less clean up.:happy:
  • Rachel6901
    Rachel6901 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! My husband and I have been talking about needing a scale for our food, now I can push to get it this weekend!!! I know it will help us even more! Thanks!