Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    Becky missed our Octrober post::

Swissmiss

Joined Aug 2008

Mon 10/03/11 06:27 AM

Sort of surprised that there has not been a new thread started for the month of October. Actually, I am glad, as I don't have to go looking for it.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Stupid me..I asked where the October thread is and here it is...already started.:blushing: I swear I can get completely lost in my computer. Well, I did what I do every weekend...gained. Only two pounds and I know that by Tuesday they will be gone. Plus another couple, I hope. Fall is here !!! Cold mornings.

:flowerforyou: Marie, are you following the cabbage soup diet? I know someone who is. My question is what happens to your weight once you stop that diet?
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    :smile:Marie: Cabbage Soup diet sounds good. Maybe once in awhile not everyday.
    I know you are doing fabuous on your diet but yes what happens when
    you are done. :ohwell:

:smile: Becky: Glad to see you found the October thread thanks to our lovely Sandy
    for keeping it going.

:smile: Welcome to Pat, you will love these ladies. They are honest and tell it like it is. :tongue:
    Good Luck on your weight challenge.

Well the weather here is finally getting better. The days are really cool but rain has let up and
    the sun is shining today. I managed my walk at lunch today. As you can see by my Halloween
    ticker. :tongue:
    I will be heading up to Northern Ontario on Friday to bring my mother in law back for the winter.
    My sister in law and me cleaned her new apartment on Saturday so its pretty much ready for
    her to move in.

We are having an election this Thursday for the new Premier of Ontario so we shall see if they
    make any changes in our health care which now is out of whack in our area. :tongue:
    Many complaints from a lot of people .

Started South Beach but got a little off track on the weekend because I didn't preplan.
    I will have to reasess my strategy I am kind of standing still on weight loss but I need to
    continue on. It has been a snails pace for me. :grumble:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Becky in answer to your questions /Am i on the cabbage soup diet. the answer is no. I found that recipe on taste of home site just soundedd good Just thought i would make a batch of it. I didn;t get to the store but did made do with what I had on hand Must sat it was pretty good.I
    I hve been busy cutting out letters for my crumbie quilt. They are looking pretty good. I got jerry making me a pattern and I am cutting them out and sewing them on a blocks. They will go alround on the outside of the quite.

Alice was out yesterday and she sponser a her group of people in a cake sale That she manage and they raide over 700 dollors for he unitedd way and her compoany is matchin that. Did qyite well on it.
    and her people brought in some lovely cakes.

Sandy I got so many things going on in my mind I have not got around to checking out the 2 windows. But I will. Thanks so much. you are so kind.

Never a dull moment in this household.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, Well I got my tatoo for my radiation this morning and I am pleased to tell you that I start radiation on October 13th. Now that's a funny thing to say "I am pleased to start radiation". But, I just want to be able to get this all over with and be able to make some firm plans. I am trying to eat healthy and get in my fruits and veggies.

Hope you are all doing terrific. Have a great day.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    got to scoot, but glad to hear from Jeri, Becky, Marie, Sandy and Shirley before I go!

Becky I see what you mean about what happens when you stop the diet, but that is true with any weight loss plan, even just watching your calories.. if you stop doing it, you will likely gain.

have a great week!
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sandy, thanks for catching my mistake. You know 99% more than I do on computers.

Marie, Cabbage soup sounds yummy

Phoebe, I must have forgotten what kind of diet you are following?

Jeri, Good luck with everything.

Seniors, Got up early as usual, had coffee with hubby and son. Met my friend for breakfast and ordered a egg beater omelet and green tea. I don't think it was to bad in calories. Then I went shopping without hubby at Target and then went grocery shopping. I had a lot of coupons so I saved $20.00 with my coupons. I wish I could have more coupons like the ladies on the coupon program where they get all there groceries free with coupons. Oh well,I think I did good.

Took my first walk about 1 hour ago and I think I will go for another walk soon. bought new shoes and had to try them out, they are the ones that are suppose to tone your legs too. We will see.

So today my son gave me about 8 corn on the cob, and acorn squash\, so we will be having that this week. I already had 2 acorn squash so we have plenty.

My canning is not finished as the apples have to be picked and I will make apple sauce and sliced apples too. The pear tree isn't ready yet but that will be next too.

My friend will be bringing more veggies over next week too. So I will be busy.

have a great day
    Chris
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    MARIE, I use ketchup with no salt added, and lemon juice (I always have freshly squeezed juice in an old spice container) or either cider vinegar or plain vinegar instead of salt. It cuts way back on sodium! Heinz no salt added Ketchup has 0 sodium! I also found an Asian type of slaw from Eat Smart that I kind of doctor up and it's a nice change and not too much sodium. Prepackaged and easy! :happy:

PHOEBE, I doubt cabbage soup would taste the same without sweetening, though I use Splenda instead of sugar. (I also use Splenda in my homemade cranberry sauce). I never used coolard greens, but wonder if they are sort of a bitter green, which I love! We'll have to Google a recipe for shredded collard greens, huh? They're quite healthy, I think....Will all the kitties agree to use the same litter box? Mine used to want their very own, the little stinkers! By the way, make sure you are eating enough!

BARBIE...18000 steps! It would take me a week to do that now! But then I don't have those gorgeous poodles to strut behind! I surely miss mine! The restaurant we went to is going to send me the nutrition breakdown of my meal, and start a new website for other people to look up the values of their dishes! Neat!

SANDY, your explanations and instructions are really super! You are very patient with us!

BECKY...welcome to October! Sandy always adds it to the last post of the month in a special link! You know, any diet we follow with only a few ingredients usually lasts only as long as we are on it! Stop, and the weight returns! It's way of life we have to change, and I'm getting worse and worse about aerobic type exercise! I figure if I move, it's better than not moving at all! Thank goodness for our Fitness Center, at least!

JERI, I have 2 friends who did great in radiation and also ever since! So keep up that good attitude and you'll make #3! :flowerforyou:

Off to my fish dinner (I hate fish!) so I won't overeat!

Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I remember someone requesting gluten free recipes and this is one from Taste of Home, for a dessert, though hardly for low cal diets! But it might be nice for the holiday season!

GLUTEN FREE Kahlua DESSERT
    12 Servings
    Prep: 30 min. + chilling
    30 30
    Ingredients
    1 cup gluten-free cornflakes, crushed
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
    1/4 cup cold water
    12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2/3 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
    2 cups fat-free whipped topping
    2 ounces dark chocolate candy bar, melted
    Fresh raspberries and mint leaves, optional

Directions
    Combine cornflake crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom of a 9-in. square pan coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; set aside.
    In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the milk, Kahlua and gelatin mixture until blended. Gently fold in whipped topping; pour over crust. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.
    Drizzle with melted chocolate; garnish with raspberries and mint leaves if desired. Yield: 12 servings.

Editor's Note: Read all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.

Nutrition Facts: 1 piece (calculated without raspberries) equals 217 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.

Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I just copied this and it sounds delicious and healthy, too.

Lightened up turkey meatballs and sauce

1/4 cup egg substitute
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt free seasoning blend
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, un drained
    1 small zucchini, chopped
    1 medium green pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
    2 bay leaves
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a rack inside a shallow baking pan and coat with vegetable spray. Set aside.
    In a large bowl combine the egg substitute, bread crumbs, onion, pepper and seasoning blend. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls. You should have between 16 and 24. Place on prepared rack and bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until no longer pink.
    Meanwhile, in a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker, combine the tomato sauce, tomatoes, zucchini, green pepper, onion, tomato paste, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, red pepper and black pepper. Stir in meat balls. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
    When ready to serve, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
    Serve with sauce and meatballs.
    Serves 12-15.
    Nutrition information per serving: 222 calories, 17% calories from fat, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 32 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 266 mg sodium, 5 g fiber

Buzz
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    SANDY: DOES THAT BIG RED HEART AND ARROW PRINTED WITH "GOAL" MEAN THAT YOU MADE IT???? Woo Hoo!!! Congrats to you. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

congratulations.jpg

Maddie Dancing_skull.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    /

BarbiecatI have been just a dumper cook all of my life and I have never put 1 whole T of salt in any of my soup sor anything I cook. So they have got way to much salt in that recipe. will have to check the tomatoes sauce out tho. And the ketcup too. And run it thru he recipe caculator if I can find out how to used it.

Marie, the thing that jumped out at me in your cabbage soup recipe was the beef bouillon granules. I stopped using them because they were so high in sodium.......the ketchup and tomato sauce are also high sodium items.

:sad: :sad: :sad: I decided to change my ticker to reflect too much riotous living in September. My weight is still within an acceptable range but I need to be extra vigilant in October so it doesn't get away from me.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I have been working on my letters for my quilt. Jerry made me the patterns other than get all of the letter and 0 9 numbers I am about through.

100_0089.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    1218707qo8haiqv3t.gif

Happy Birthday Xyla!!!
  • patinpa
    patinpa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks everyone for the nice welcomes. it's great to have friends that can understand how difficult this losing weight can be. I have a freind that can eat anything and everything and never gain an oz. I gain 5 lbs watching her.
    I think today will be the first day of no rain in 5. I think I will get out and walk, although most of the good walking places are flooded yet. Hopefully, the carpenters will be here to put my roof on. What a mess.
    Thanks again!
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!! :bigsmile: We are having beautiful weather with sunshine and warm temps. :flowerforyou: I am grateful since we are dog sitting and the dogs love to be outside most of the day. My hubby and I have been walking both dogs after dinner but they walk slower than Daisy and I usually do. :ohwell: It is nice to have someone to walk with but I burn more calories by myself. :glasses: I have been working on DVDs and hope to convert my DIL's camera DVDs into movie DVDs before they return from Disney World on Saturday.

Pat, that is why we stick together on this thread, we support each other all the time, no matter what encouragement is needed. Sometimes it isn't weight related, but if something is weighing on our minds we listen and try to help in whatever way we can. We had a week of rain last week so I hope the sunshine follows and you get a beautiful week like we are having. Your story about gaining weight just watching your friend reminded me of when I was young and married to my first husband. I had 4 children and used to tell people that all he had to do was look at me and I got pregnant. :laugh: :laugh: Becky, I think you just had to be in the same room with your husband having 8 children. :laugh: :laugh:

Marie, your quilt is beautiful!! :love: How great is Jerry to help you with the numbers?? You are like newlyweds who play together. :blushing: Are you making it for yourself or someone else? :heart: :heart: :heart:

Barbie, you are still at your goal but you changed it to a lower goal didn't you? That is why I lost 4 extra pounds from my original goal so I would never go over my original goal. Does that make sense? I really like being where I am now but wouldn't mind losing another 3 pounds to I wouldn't go over this new weight. I might be the only one who understands what I am saying. :noway: :noway:

Becky, yes I did meet my goal, see if you can figure out what I said to Barbie. :noway: :noway: Thanks for the congrats, it took me along time to lose it but now that I did I hope to keep it off. :tongue:

Buzz, you keep posting recipes but since I am not a cook and don't cook from scratch I will stick with my market day food. :laugh: I think the person who asked for gluten free dinners was on the home page but I can't remember who. :blushing:

Chris, as you can tell I am on my computer most of the time so I have learned a lot with the help my kids.:tongue: I am answering for Phoebe who is on the road, she and her hubby are on the South Beach Diet. :drinker: Good for you with the coupons, $20 is lot of savings. You are doing great with your walks and with your canning, keeping busy is so important. :love:

Phoebe, stay safe on the road and be sure to check in with us. :heart:

Jeri, did they give you a fancy tattoo to mark your spot, like a bulls eye? :laugh: I would be like you and want to just get it over with so I could get on with my life. Your attitude is 90% of your recovery so I know you will do this with flying colors.:heart:

Shirley, is it warmer where you live than where your mother in law was? In other words which is her permanent home, by you or where you are picking her up? I seem to be writing in riddles today. :blushing: Health care seems to be a problem everywhere but in Europe although they probably have some complaints also. :grumble:

Gee, I hope that is everyone but again if you were missed it is because I am old. :laugh:

Have a great day!!
  • LaVerneHarvey
    Options
    Your quote at the end of your message has caused a great AH-HA moment for me. It's so true, I whine about not losing the weight but the truth is it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know I should put that darn crap down! Don't buy it, don't cook or bake it, and then you won't eat it. Bad stuff doesn't just happen, someone brought it in the house and someone (ME) put it in my mouth. No more excuses that I'm buying for Halloween or for the others in the house not on a diet. And if there is someone trying to sabotage me than they'll feel dumb when I dump it in the garbage.
  • LaVerneHarvey
    Options
    This was the quote "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

birthday March 25
  • Sandydur
    Options
    1345292n4h3pbm0bw.gif

Hi LaVerne,

That quote comes from our girl Barbie who I think has lost the most weight on our forum. She knows about what she writes and has been our inspiration. I think we all know what we should do as far as calories and it can be done so good luck, We are here if you need us so feel free to stick with us on our journeys.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    [img][/img]813469pklyu9zapp.gif

Welcome, LaVerne! Give us a bit of your history: where do you live, etc, so we know if anyone is from your area, too. I'm the "old lady on the block" at 84, going on 74! This group has been like family to all who join us! Since exercising has become difficult in my recent years, the weight is great if I just maintain it, but I always hope to lose a few pounds. I just celebrated 34 years with my 3rd husband, who is always drumming fingers, and I read that it burns calories, so I must learn to twitch, too, as he's slim as can be, and still plays tennis at 88! Living in South Florida helps, too!:wink: I go through periods of wanting to cook, and then I throw in recipes I think might be interesting to play with. I've 3 grown kids, 3 grown kids of my DH, 8 grown grandkids, and not one lives near us yet! I just realized how really dull I sound, but I seem to be busy all the time, just can't figure out with what!:noway:

MADDIE, is that dancing skeleton you, or are you attempting to scare us? So good to see you back here:drinker:

BARBIE, does your ticker say 110# ? I weighed more than that when I was born! I, too, havenot used bouillon in any form for many years. When I make a broth, I simmer it down, pour it into ice cube trays, and freeze them. Then I KNOW there's no sodium in it!

MARIE...creative in so many ways! Do you ever allow yourself a dull moment? Great quilt, Sis!

PAT... I know just what you mean about those who eat and never gain! My DH is like that, too! Hope your area clears up so your walks will be safe and pleasant again!

SANDY, you are so entertaining even when you are not telling jokes :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...I think I understand your weigh-in philosophy since I used to do the same. Now if I can ever get within 15 pounds of ideal weight, I'll celebrate!

We had a Doctor's appointment early this morning, so Mike suggested eating breakfast out, and my Greek omelette was so disappointing (mine I like with spinach!) as it was simply feta cheese, and I ate an entire bagel which I haven't had in years! I will save breakfast out for going to the new Johnny G's, which is THE place for French Toast to die for, as anyone who's visited Palm Beach area knows! That's my once every 5 years treat for breakfast! Too full for anything this afternoon, but will get back to normal manana!

Buzz