Senior Golden Sneakers............October

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    If you had been with me this weekend, you would not have believed it was me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thursday was pretty good
    if you consider Mexican food and a few handfuls of cashews good. On Friday I had a shake in the room for breakfast, then went to the hotel breakfast room and while talking to people who were here for the same event, I downed three pieces of toast with peanut butter and a banana. I had a shake for lunch but then we’d bought tickets for the spaghetti and pizza dinner where I had five pieces of vegetarian pizza………my analysis is that there is so little real nutrition in pizza that you have to eat too much just to get adequate nutrition. I returned to my good habits this morning----shake and a banana for breakfast, Isagenix bar for snack, resisted all the chocolate that kept appearing on the table at the meeting then went to lunch and ordered a veggie soft taco and cole slaw. I had barely started eating the taco when Jake pointed out the avocado which gives me horrible stomach cramps so I stopped eating the taco and ate all the French fries. Dinner was better
    I ordered grilled chicken from the senior menu. It came with little red potatoes and cauliflower and broccoli. I got a double order of veggies and no salad so I didn’t have to even think about croutons and salad dressing. It tasted great and I felt healthier just eating it.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: On the other hand, I walked for an hour each morning in a slight drizzle and walked during the breaks in the meetings to get over 14,000 steps yesterday and I already have 16,000 today.

:bigsmile: Chris, I know a dance to Elvira and one of the many dances choreographed to Good Time. My favorite new dance that we learned recently was to a song called “Knee Deep”

:bigsmile: Pat, just keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll see results. If you are eating healthy foods and staying active, good things will happen.

:bigsmile: Sandy, you might do better with line dancing if you took a beginner class. Will Daisy miss having Sadie or will she be glad to have her mom and dad to herself?

:bigsmile: Marie, that is a great birthday greeting for Jake
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]481580lys5o6fr6c.gif

If she were using a laptop, that's me to a T! Keep falling asleep here.....but HI, everyone. And probably a quick G'Nite:yawn:

BARBIE, I was so happy to see your post cause we had pizza for dinner and I ate 3 whole slices! Hawaiian pizza, yet! I had spent the afternoon making the turkeyballs and sauce in my slow cooker...so it's still cooking! Iwas too tired to make another thing for dinner, and when Mike suggested pizza, I agreed as long as I didn't have to prepare it! I hope you enjoyed yours as much as we did ours! By the way, our Costco always has Polly-O string cheese sticks, or whatever the name is. I don't ever find old fashioned string cheese anymore!
    SANDY, how tall are you? I'd give anything to weigh what you do! It sounds so perfect...unless you are 4'10!
    PHOEBE, I want to give both you and MARIE a big hug, too! How are you making out on this trip, dear?
    IRENE, nice to see your face smiling at us everytime you drop by! And yes, your stories have always been fascinating to read. And those new numbers are amazing and wonderful! Keep that nice chin up, gal :drinker:
    SANDI38, I think you left shortly after I joined this group, so I don't recall much about you, but it's nice to have you back! Welcome home!
    KIMMIE, I hope I welcomed you. I meant to, certainly, but just in case...
    [img][/img]732864p6fy1lwyhd.gif

I can smell those turkeyballs and they're almost done. I think I posted the recipe a few days ago. Will let you know if they were worth the work. I bought Whole Wheat Angel Hair to serve them with. One thing I really cannot buy or keep in this house is biscotti; I think I'm addicted to them! I could finish an entire box :cry:

It's pouring out, but since we are officially in the dry season now, I hope this keeps up as Florida is still below the necessary water level for the Everglades and population to remain healthy!

Buzz
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all from sunny Saskatchewan. I did write a post yesterday but it vanished into cyberland -- grrrrh! I should be washing my floors but so far have not done that. I cleaned my fridge yesterday and today I just love opening it. It is so organized I am wondering who lives here!! I hate that job but obviously, love the result. The freezer will be next but I do need to wash the floors before dinner time tomorrow. We will have 10 at our dinner table so look forward to that. I am cooking a turkey and a ham. I initially thought there were only going to be 5 of us so I bought a small turkey but the family grew! Now I feel really lucky to have 2 ovens! I am going to make a broccoli casserole so that will also need to go in the oven. No, it is not good for me! My son (the Chef) is bringing a pumpkin cheesecake so I don't need to make dessert. I will whip some cream for those who would like it. Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends!!

I don't have time to do a full post but did want to comment on a couple of previous posts.

Irene -- Thanks so much for sharing your feelings and your numbers!! Yeah for the numbers going down. You continue to be in my prayers.

Jeri -- It is hard to wait for the unknown. I hope that after the first treatment you will feel a little less anxious. You are so brave and you, too, remain in my prayers.

Marie -- I think it was you who asked about WW. I wish I could say it was all going well but alas, once again I have fallen off the wagon. I am hoping after Thanksgiving to get it back on track.

Sandy -- Your jokes always bring a smile to my face.

Phoebe -- Is the current diet more difficult to travel with than WW was? I really wish we were all blessed with slim genes. It is hard to believe that there are some people out there who don't spend a good part of every day thinking about what they should eat, want to eat, will eat!! I have not been making good choices and I can feel it in my clothes which is really what tells me it is time to find my way back.

Barbie -- Enjoy your holiday. It sounds wonderful.

Buzz -- Haven't heard anything about the elbow for a long time. I hope that means you are back in ship shape!

Take care everyone. I will catch up with the rest of you another time. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Been trying to watch the Rangers Baseball game. But they are getting heavy rain there. been down for almost an hour. They have just started again. It has not reach us yet but it is headed our way.

Alice and I had a wonderful time on our outing today. I just hd a small dinner salad and a side order of beans and rice. For supper I had 4 oz of grilled fish and the chopped salad Later I had the yogurt and a dollop of coolwhip. Now i am ready for bed. I am cooking me a pot of beans in my crock pot all night tonight.Should have some good eating tomorrow. .
    I am realy surprise I ave stay so good. on this plan. I seems to be commited to it. Those that have know me for a while knows 3 weeks is my limit on a plan. but But been onthis one now for about 6 weeks.

I got to go and get a note off to maggie for she is home this weekend but has to go back to rehab. But is surpose to get out and come home for good Wednesday. She said the surgery was very painful.

Good night Sneakers
  • patinpa
    patinpa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do plan to keep at this. I think that I may not be drinking enough water. I will try to drink more this week and see if that makes a difference. I think I may just stick with vegies and fruit and protein for a week or so and see what does. I go out to eat a lot and it's difficult to choice from some of the menus. I'm off to work my last day at the amusement park today. It was a long hot summer, then the flood, and now it's over. Maybe now I can make better food choices. Thanks for all the suggestions. Pat
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That brought a smile to my face….. thanks
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Waving hi to everyone :drinker:

Barbie you amazed me at all the steps you can do in one day, I can only do 5000 to 9000 and all of that is walking, I still haven't measured the steps at dance class, hopefully I will on thurs.

Pheobe How are you doing on your trip? Are you able to exercise? Are you following a speacial diet? But most of all are you having any fun yet?

Today is more a lazy day, this is the first since I retired in July. I got up later than usual, 7:15am, my DH made breakfast, and now I am on the computer. I think I will read a little and then work on that quilt of mine.

I wanted you to know that the pears were delicious, so sweet and free. Tomorrow will pick the apples.

So long and waving bye to all of you.
    Chris:heart:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hey there JAKE (our birthday boy!)
    [img][/img]126877f02zwybyak.gif
    and many more, minus the cashews!

GAYLA, after using the Thermapore elbow patches for 3 days, my elbow felt like new; I'd forgotten about it! Thanks for remembering. And Happy Thanksgiving up there; sounds delicious!

MARIE, you really got onto the right way this time...and a great attitude, as usual! Have a mahvelous Sunday, Sis!

PAT, I went to a nutritionist and it did work for awhile, as do all dietary changes, but after awhile my body adapted, and now I keep meaning to stay on SouthBeach...seriously! I keep breaking my vows, but have at least kept the habit of 10 glasses of water every day! And lowered my sodium. My breakfast is usually either a Greek style spinach omelette (1 egg, 2 whites) using crumbled goat cheese rather than saltier feta; or 1/2 cup Fage 0% Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup cottage cheese (no added salt), with 1/2 cup berries(preferably blueberries). Both keep me satisfied till lunchtime.
    I really believe aerobic exercise in some form daily is so important, and the reason my weight doesn't readily fall as I hoped! I try for 3 days a week at my Fitness center to keep these old muscles from atrophying, but it doesn't really supply aerobic benefits! Since walking is out of the question for me now, and the bicycle too hard on the butt and knees (plus falls are too dangerous at 84!), I do what I can and figure been there done that while I could! Both my DS and I are wondering if all those years of devoted exercising made any difference or if in the end, genetics count to most, since we both have developed exactly the same problems in the same areas, even though she's 5 years younger! At this stage, I don't want to have to go through hip replacement again, or knee surgery, so I cater to aging joints! And sit here at the computer instead of bouncing around outdoors as I used to! Even the sun has become my adversary, as the Mohs surgery mounts up and my dermatologist says "Stay out of the sun or wear total cover-ups!" But in truth, I never expected to reach this age feeling as well as I do, so I have no complaints except when I see the apple-shape in the mirror. :noway: ...:ohwell:

ANGEL:...[img][/img]1200204r0sb28cuvc.gif...sorry I missed you, and I think you are the 1st from your beautiful city! We do have wonderful members from elswhere in the UK, but I don't recall London! :drinker: :drinker:

CHRIS, I certianly miss the apple and pear seasons, lucky you! Florida cannot grow either, as far as I know. And we don't receive the best varieties as I guess they don't survive shipping too well.

PHOEBE, your sunny greetings are always a pleasure to read, so we all wish you home safe:wink:

and SANDY, JUDY, JACKIE, MADDIE, CONNIE (?), IRENE, JERI, BARBIE, SANDI, BIRDIE, MARILYN, good friends all, and I hope I recall each one of you but memory ain't what it used to be, everyone have a great weekend on this lovely fall day!

Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    1671886xxdf4k9361.gif

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: FOR ALL OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    and here is a lovely picture I stole off of anpther web site. I think this is from Canada.
    Wish i was there

27292815216479733807_610w.jpg

Have a good one tomorrow. Make the right choice. I had girl to tell me to just take a soonful of this and a soonfull of that.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Oh Sandy, what a cute little turkey. All of you have gotten so good with the graphics, I am way behind on that, but I just don't have time to work with the graphics right now.
    We are only home for the day. We leave Early in the morning, and hopefully will be home for at least three days next time.
    The kitties had a blast, apparently, no room left undone!! but that is to be expected, and it is ok with me. The ones that remain outside are fine, always a relief to see them when we get home. I am a worrier, when one is absent, I wonder why. And I usually think the worst.
    We are having veggies tonight coz that is what we both like. peas, turnip greens, okra, cornbread(:blushing: ) just one piece for me!!

Gayla, and all you other Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving!! And, no, Gayla, this plan is not easier than WW. It may not work out, I thought we could just adjust to it and be done, but we don't have time for three meals every day, and we aren't used to having three meals. Even at home we don't eat that way. of course, that may be the Whole problem right there.
    I guess it is a diet in progress

Marie, six weeks is a record isn't it? I think you are eating what you like, and that helps, don't you agree?

Buzz, so glad your elbow is not hurting anymore, crazy, the way the pain consumes you one day, then just disappears.. inflammation at its worst!! Mine does that too. I boost the advil to two per day, then cut back when it eases.

got to get to my laundry, refill meds, and trying not to burn the veggies.

take care!!
  • 6cookys
    Options
    Pheobe What diet are you following? You are on the road again? where? Hug your kitties from me.

Buzz You are a good role model for the rest of us.

Marie I am so glad you found a diet that works for you.

I went for a 2 mile walk and passed a dead deer, it's the one that comes around the house morning and evening, I am so sorry that I won't be able to see it anymore. All though I am glad that my fruits and vegetables won't be eaten by her anymore. I am sure there will be another one that will find it's way here.

It is sunny outside but only about 60 degrees. This is good walking weather, I may have to walk again later .......maybe.

Enjoy your day!
    Chris
  • barbiecat
    Options

Barbie you amazed me at all the steps you can do in one day, I can only do 5000 to 9000 and all of that is walking, I still haven't measured the steps at dance class, hopefully I will on thurs.

Chris, I put my pedometer in my pocket first thing in the morning when I get dressed to walk the dogs and I carry it in the pocket of whatever pants I am wearing all day, not just for a walk or dance class......I count all my steps because they all count :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

when I fold laundry I carry a few pieces at a time and put them away, and I seek all sorts of reasons to get up and walk somewhere to accumulate more steps :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    1675539m3u9wy902j.gif
    Options
    Chris, it is the New Mayo Clinic Diet. We leave in the morning for Arizona. All kitties have been hugged!a
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, what an inspiration you are. I have a pedometer but very seldom use it.

Chris, what had happened to the deer? Was she shot or hit by a vehicle? I hate to see dead animals.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, a sure fire way to not burn the vegetables is to eat them raw.:happy:

Yesterday my husband a I biked to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I ate too much but I did burn 250 calories on the bike.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I woke up at 5 AM as usual and Jake asked to sleep late so I got dressed and had breakfast and went for my walk…….this is the fourth day of walking without my sweet poodles who are still being boarded and can’t be picked up until this morning.

:flowerforyou: I have decided that walking very early in the morning is a metaphor for life…….at the start it was dark and at times I wasn’t sure where I was and I was able to see only a tiny bit ahead of me, but I persisted and did not quit and quite suddenly I noticed that it was getting lighter and more was visible and I was better able to get my bearings and see farther down the road. :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today is Jake's birthday and he originally wanted to go to the buffet at the Indian restaurant. I agreed because it was his birthday and his choice. At bedtime he told me that maybe he would rather stay home and eat our usual food and be here with the pets who’ve been boarded since Thursday and maybe watch some shows we recorded on the DVR. So as part of my walk this morning I walked to the wonderful food store that’s a mile away and bought a small boneless leg of lamb and fresh cauliflower. When I showed him the food he was thrilled because he recognized that we’d been eating in restaurants too much and it was time to get back to healthy eating. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Becky, there is research that showed that people who wear or carry pedometers walk more than other people. I've had a pedometer for years (I've lost several and had to buy new ones). I can't imagine going to Cracker Barrel and not eating too much and too many calories. Fortunately, there aren't any anywhere near here:laugh:

:bigsmile: Phoebe, be safe on your trip.
  • 6cookys
    Options
    Barbie I am going to do that and see if my pedometer goes up, thanks for the info.

Becky the deer got hit by a car, but now her to little ones are around. Her little ones are bigger than a fawn but not fully grown, but now we are watching 2 of them. The only bad thing was when my hubby and son were picking the apples today there was a lot of deer droppings so it was a messy situation. But the apples are picked and I can see I have lots of work for the next week. I may make applesauce today. We gave our son buckets of apples and recipes to take home. Tonight I will put some aside for my friend with the pears, she is bringing me carrots and squash.

Phoebe Have a safe trip. I am on the 17 day diet, we are on day 11 so far and its easy and we like it. We have lost some weight and after my l o n g plateau I welcomed it with open arms.

Last night I worked on my quilt and today I will do that again, little by little I will get it done.

I have to get my walk in today some how but I know I will do it, I also have a walking tape that I can do inside.

Marie "HI" have a nice day.

I will be back later to check on posts, until then have a bright day.

Chris
    Options
    Good morning Becky and a big atta girl to you and your husband for biking. Or one atta girl and an atta boy!
    i wouldnt be able to under eat at cracker barrel, even the veggies are so good. And this time of year, they get started with pies in the store, argh!! I hope you enjoyed breakfast.
    Its a sprinkly day in Georgia. We dont want to leave home, but here we go, have a great week
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Aw Phoebe, sorry about your sprinkly weather. We are having a beautul day in Ohio. High near 80. But, I hear this will be the last nice warm day.
    I will let you know how bad Cracker Barrel was...I ordered fried cat fish. I love that.:heart:

Aww Chris, that is so sad about the younguns. I hope that they are big enough to be able to care for themselves. Oh no, I just remembered Bambi.:sad:

:flowerforyou: Barbie, congratulations on continuing your walks even without the poodles.