Team UK - October 2011

Options

Replies

• moon_light10
    Options
    Happy Birthday Lou, hope u have a great day.

Well I'm back from the gym, 2 hrs gone, and burnt 1061 cals ( i think), and did RI30 before I left. So those Boots scales had better be working 2morow, and had better be nice to me.

Meant to have rain 2morow YEY!!!!!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Heres where I need help, I am on a budget and went to the holland and barrett website and was overwhelmed byt the amount on offer. Does anyone use protein powder? Do you make it into bars? What would you recommend?

Or does anyone not think this would work,if not how else can I increase my cals without junk?? My diary is open if you want a peek.

If protein powder is your thing then fair enough but I wouldn't waste my money on it. Instead (if I wanted the extra protein/cals) I would get some skim milk powder from the supermarket (I think the brand over here is sunshine?) and use some of that mixed with whatever milk you usually buy (and flavour if you want) to make a high protein milk.

In terms of increasing cals, of course the obvious option is bigger food serves and more frequent snacks. Perhaps the less obvious one is boosting cals in what you are already eating - add healthy oils to meals/veg, use reduced fat cheese in sandwiches/salads/hot dishes, add nuts, seeds and avocado to your day. Hmm that's all I've got for now (difficult off the top of my head to separate the healthy suggestions from the unhealthy ones that we give our high protein high energy patients e.g. for cancer). Oh and I would add plenty of dairy snacks - yoghurt, reduced fat custard, milky drinks: all high protein, high nutrition choices. Hope that helps :)

Yeah, I agree with LilMiss... if you want to use protein powder then it's best (& easier) just added to a drink - milk or a smoothie.
    In fact, if I remember correctly - once you mix up the powder, you're supposed to drink it within 20 minutes - so I don't think you can use it to make a bar.

Eating more protein is quite easy to do, if you just change your mindset a bit...
    Instead of basing your meals around carbs (potatoes, pasta, etc.) - base your meals around the protein.
    So your main dish is protein & veg, plus a small side portion of carbs.

For example breakfast, if you have toast - then you should either include salmon or eggs... or any other protein.

HTH
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Afternoon UK'ers
    hope everyone is having a good day.
    I just forgot food does not equal emotional support and reached for the M&S millionaires shortcake cheesecake. oops

hope everyone else is hav ing a much better day!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Morning uk peeps

I need some help. I have been burning roughly 900 cals a day and not eating back my cals. This isn't working so well so I have decided to try eating 1/2 back.

I have added toast to brekkie, and will add a wrap to my lunch salad. I have thought of getting some protein powder to make bars for my pm snack.

Heres where I need help, I am on a budget and went to the holland and barrett website and was overwhelmed byt the amount on offer. Does anyone use protein powder? Do you make it into bars? What would you recommend?

Or does anyone not think this would work,if not how else can I increase my cals without junk?? My diary is open if you want a peek.

Many thanks

martyxx

I use cnp whey protein powder choc mint flavour and its yummy. You can mix that with water or milk if you need the extra calorie boost there.

Try Bananas with peanut butter its loaded with good cals.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Been poorly all weekend, so my appetite isn't very good at the moment :(

Hope you are all okay!

x
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    happy birthday lou
    Been poorly all weekend, so my appetite isn't very good at the moment :(

Hope you are all okay!

x

i hope you feel better soon.

i've just finished a reasonable workout at the gym, i've not been for ages so i'm breaking myself back into it gently, downside i came home via greggs (haven't dared look the cals up yet) so it looks like i'll be going for a walk tonight after dinner (balsamic pork with pear spinach and feta, i can't wait lol)

hope monday is great for you all

ruthie
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Lou x
  • lilyinlove
    Options
    I have just decided, for myself that this ain't a blippin race!! I am going to take it easy..stop fretting eat my cals and do my workouts.

If I lose a lb great if not then oh well. I have been over analyzing this way too much and reading too many posts and websites. Do this don't do that...ugh....super frustrated with it all. It has worked before and it will work again.

Sorry rant over. Tom is visiting at the moment...and I hate him!!
  • lilyinlove
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I'm 26 today! Going to make it my healthiest year yet :wink: With my birthday money im going to enlist the help of a PT for a few sessions. Apparently this guy is pretty good... Just feel like i need a helping hand in a few areas (i shall be posting up on here for advice too) and to give me a bit of a kick up the *kitten* :laugh:

Hope everyone has a productive day!

Lou

Have a wonderful Birthday!!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have just decided, for myself that this ain't a blippin race!! I am going to take it easy..stop fretting eat my cals and do my workouts.

If I lose a lb great if not then oh well. I have been over analyzing this way too much and reading too many posts and websites. Do this don't do that...ugh....super frustrated with it all. It has worked before and it will work again.

Sorry rant over. Tom is visiting at the moment...and I hate him!!

That's the only way to do it - at your own pace and for yourself!! And whoever Tom is, ignore him!!!
  • lilyinlove
    Options
    That's the only way to do it - at your own pace and for yourself!! And whoever Tom is, ignore him!!!
    [/quote]

tom is my time of month. :blushing:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Nike - Just Do It
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump! No time to read at the moment, so will have to wait til i'm home!

Nice to see a UK forum! hello all! :-)
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I laughed so hard at this! Poor Tom he gets a bad press :)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire Core 20, Tone 30 and Fire 30 Classes DONE....!

I did absolutely nothing Saturday & Sunday, so I got to make up for it.....

Tomorrow Turbo Fire 55 or 60, or Treadmill (which I HATE...!)
  • turpz
    turpz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Evening UKers, I have piggied out all weekend (impressed even myself by managing to polish off most of a large pizza hut, oops!) so made up for it today with a nice long (for me) run. Aching now though, but it means I got another 10k in the bank ready for my race next weekend, feeling a bit more confident
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well hasn't October gotten off to an unbelievably wonderful start.

This Indian Summer was just what the doctor ordered, but boy was it hot on Saturday :glasses: We all had to get dressed up in our finest for our friends' wedding and it was such a fantastic day, most of which was spent outdoors. We were all staying the weekend at this spa hotel, so we all got in a bit of swimming & fitness to work off the amazing cooked breakfast and the wedding meal which was to die for. My weekend diary is X-rated, so not for the faint-hearted :laugh:

Back to reality and work tomorrow.:ohwell:
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hope u r all having a good evening - me I'm just about to do my last shred - yay !!
  • sammylc
    sammylc Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Evening All,

mad day at work today but I s'pose the busier I am the less time I have to snack. Walked half of the way home (2.5 miles) and have just done half hours worth of crunches while watching Eastenders (I do hope Ben has a chat with Phil soon!!!)

Hoping Tuesday is a bit calmer, Sam
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Without having to trawl through several pages of posts, is anyone from Wiltshire? I'm trying to find people local to me :)